main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature (Spoilers Allowed)' started by dp4m, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    I'd suggest that he'll flow-walk back to his childhood and destroy his blankie but that would include Bantam material. ;)

2. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    could jacen sacrifice his "jacen" persona and that count as this sacrifice. we all know jacen loves himself to the point that he doesnt want anyone to know what he's up to yet. i get that. but what if the sacrifice is made way before he is ready to do it. or is that the cheesey cheap way out? it wont be luke. for all the reasons you guys have said. no the sacrifice will have to be unexpected, surprising at the moment we think we have it figured out. i often wonder if delrey knows who the sacrifice is.

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Lot�´s of people seem to be in denial about the sacrifice in Sacrifice. After all this hype, it has to be a person and it has to be an important person. All point to Luke and/or Mara at this moment. If instead - which I hope, but consider extremely unlikely - Jacen would just "sacrifice" Jacen Solo and become Darth [Insert Name Here], it would be an anticlimax. Cop-out.

4. Domice

Domice Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2007
    I think he willl sacrifice Lumiya to become a Sith master and then take Ben as his apprentice. Only one apprentice and one Master remember.

5. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Agreed there. The way it's set up, it has to be a person.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Certainly not. That's the way we think it's set up.

7. Jedi_Master_DR

Jedi_Master_DR Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2004
    Unfortunately I'm thinking it will be Mara, especially with Mara and Jacen joking about him killing her in Betrayal. Especially because if I remember, wasn't it Leia or maybe one of the other Jedi that forsaw a younger girl with dark hair being important in Betrayal? And then who shows up in the very next book and ends up killing Thracken Sal-Solo? Mirta Gev, so I'm thinking it very well would be Mara since one foreshadowing turned out to be true. I'm dreading whomever its going to be, even if its just what's left of the good in Jacen Solo, or everyone's favorite tree to make fun of. (subtly directs attention to new avatar, though Corran still is awesome)

The only thing that I can think of that would be worse then Jacen killing one of the prominent characters is if he insidiously gets Ben to accidently kill this "sacrifice" for him, to try to silence Lumiya's doubts about Ben being his apprentice. (BTW Marvel, you should have called this character Darth Lumiya, instead of just Lumiya, but that's only my small pet peeive.)

8. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Yes as i said before it points to Mara who will probably be protecting Ben. I dont See Luke biting the dust just yet. He has more battles with Lumiya to do or even have a show down with Darth Who at the end of the series. So if Luke dies it will be the last book or second to last book i think.

9. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Luke can only die in a hardcover.[face_plain] After Sacrifice only LotF #9 will be a hardcover, so he will not die in Inferno, Fury or Revelation. DR and LFL probably do give his character that much credit still.[face_plain] Luke was supposed to be in the cover of Sacrifice with Mara, but as a less important and (beautiful, I suppose:p ) character he was exiled to the Death Spot on the back cover:_| If they give characters second covers, he could (at least as long as Sacrifice arrives) be on the cover of LotF #9, but I really doubt it.[face_worried] He will pretty certainly die in Sacrifice and whoever will kill/redeem Jacen will be on the cover of Lotf #9 - which basically just leaves Ben and Jaina as possible candidates.[face_plain]

10. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Brilliant! =D=

11. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    If Luke dies then who will take over the the Jedi Order? I see feuding masters again just as they did in Darknest, unless Jacen takes over and that would be an interesting result.

12. Jedi_Master_DR

Nov 17, 2004
    Or dissendant groups could spring up, sort of like the non-Coruscanti Jedi just before the Clone Wars period, with the different groups only sometimes banding together for common purpose. Besides, at some point a few Jedi are going to have to join Emperor Fel I or maybe II to begin the Imperial Knights I would imagine.

13. Darth-Drevin

Darth-Drevin Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2007
    Jacen intends to kill leia and han but he'll end up killing Mara instead. I think Ben will be the one to kill Lumiya.

The solos have dealt with enough grief by losing anakin and chewbacca. They wouldnt kill one of them.

When Mara is dead luke will go all 'kenobi' and find himself a nice little hut in the sand

Anyway... :)

14. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    'Darth' was not an established Sith Lord title at the time of the Marvel publications. At that time, Darth Vader was the only one dubbed 'Lord of the Sith' and Emperor Palpatine was not revealed to be have the moniker 'Darth Sidious' until 1999, fourteen years after the last issue of the Marvel run had gone to print. Lumiya is referred to as a Dark Lady.

It wasn't until the prequel era and it's associated media projects, video games, etc. that we got any Sith with the title 'Darth' aside from Vader. The 'Tales of the Jedi' works plotted by KJA and published by DH did not have any of the Sith lords bearing the title 'Darth' and these were issued between Marvel and 1999.

So as a pet peeve... well, that's entirely up to you what irritates you, but it's simply that 'Darth' as a title wasn't a known part of the EU until much, much later than Lumiya's creation.

That off my chest...

Mara will be the one to die. If I get some more time later, I will cut and paste my reasoning from the other board.

15. Jedi_Master_DR

Nov 17, 2004
    That is all true and I am very well aware of that, but it still was not impossible for them to use the Darth title if they so chose, unless its revealed later that Lucasfilm was totally against it. Certainly it would be nice if Del-Rey had used it, but......whatever. As I said, its only my small pet peeve. I have the same sort dislike when I see Leia Organa Solo instead of just Leia Solo or Palpatine over Sidious in usage 90% of the time in new material post TPM's release in post ROTJ EU.

16. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Leia dies.

And no one sees it coming.

Inferno is Han becoming a Human Death Star.

17. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Luke.

I gave my reasons in various threads before, now in one place for cheap:

In Universe:
    1) Jacen fired at Han and Leia in Sacrifice
    2) Jacen allowed Lumiya to test Ben
    3) If Jacen were to kill Mara, Luke would fight with Jacen immediately - and since Luke and Mara don't seem to do anything without the other (the true joiners), I can't imagine a situation where Jacen kills Mara and Luke doesn't know who dit it.

Out of Universe:
    1) Ben can't die - he needs to continue the Skywalker line
    2) Jaina is unlikely to die - she's supposed to be in the future Fel line
    3) Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Minbar - could be a luke story to please the fanbase
    4) Luke is a force ghost in the Legacy comics. So the readers want to know how he dies and when. DelRey were stupid not to tell that tale. And they need to tell it soon "strike while the iron is hot"
    5) Lumiya - the only alternative to Luke, IMO. Therefore their handshake in Exile. One of them won't survive Sacrifice. If Lumiya were sacrificed by Jacen that is too predictable IMO - Sith apprentice slaying Sith master.

18. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    How does this support the probability of Luke's death?

Again, how does this support the probability of Luke's death?

Thirdly, no evidence here for Luke's death. Plus, you neglect to consider the potential devastation of Mara's death to Luke, to the point that he might not be able to immediately seek out Jacen even if he could determine he did it.

Unproven assumption. Luke could still father a second child or could possibly have a child preceeding Ben that he is unaware of presently.

Unproven assumption. Force-sensitivity does not necessarily need to be introduced into the Fel line via Jaina. There are lots of other female Jedi, and Marasiah's phenotype (brown hair/eyes) is not uncommon.

Or it could be published completely independently of anything that's going to happen in LotF. That's like saying that 'Allegience' is a Mara story to appease her fanbase if she dies in Sacrifice.

The readers have wanted to know how Luke dies and when for longer than Legacy has been an on-going series. This really offers no support to the 'Luke dies in Sacrifice' theory. 'Soon' in publishing time could be the February '09 hardcover for all we know. Plus, in the 90 years between LotF and Legacy, I'm certain there are multiple opportunities for Luke to die and become a force-ghost.

This is possibly the only bit of evidence presented here that lends any credence. That handshake was just completely weird and I haven't figured out how to take it yet. I suppose it could be a Sithly 'kiss of death' as much as anything else.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It wasn't a title at the time. It was just a name. Anakin Skywalker changed his name to Darth Vader. Why? Because it was scarier. That's like demanding that Marvel should have had Qui-Gon's Force ghost appear. Fifteen years before we even knew he existed. It's like complaining that all the writers didn't hop in their time machines and learn from Lucas that in 1998, he'd decide to call the leader of the Republic the Chancellor, instead of the President like he'd been called for twenty years. You can demand that people follow a rule that gets made up years later. Darth wasn't a title then any more than Anakin was a podracer and a slave.

20. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Upon thinking about it and considering it in relation to some of the potential sacrifices Jacen could make, namely Luke and Lumiya, this could almost be taken as Lumiya saying "May the best Master win". Afterall Luke taught Jacen most of what he knows about being a Jedi and Lumiya has taught him about the Sith.

Could be Lumiya knows that in the end Jacen's sacrifice could spell the end for one of them.

Personally i'm still unsure whether things will be that simple, for most of these characters there will always be someone willing to dive in front of the lightsaber blade to save them.

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Corusca_One wrote:

Could be Lumiya knows that in the end Jacen's sacrifice could spell the end for one of them.

If Jacen will succeed, it will eventually mean death for both Luke and Lumiya. Eventually Jacen has to face Luke, even if he would not be his sacrifice and on the other hand Jacen has already shown willingness to sacrifice Lumiya in Tempest, when he put Luke and Lumiya against each other. So eventually Jacen would turn against Lumiya, and Lumiya knows that.

22. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Let's review: What was it that drove Jacen to kill Nelani, thus sealing his turn to the Dark Side? The vision of himself killing Luke in cold blood.

And what have we learned from the Prequels? When you turn to the Dark Side to prevent a vision of the future from coming true, YOU ENSURE THAT VISION DOES COME TRUE.

Luke's going down. Deal with it.

23. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    :eek:

That actually makes sense, logically.

:(

24. Jedi_Master_DR

Nov 17, 2004

All I am saying is that's a shame that neither Marvel thought Darth might be a Star Wars contraction for Dark Lord of the Sith, nor have later companies (Bantam, Dark Horse, or Del-Rey) retconned Darth into Lumiya's name considering her training with Vader, her solo meditating/training on Ziost, or the rest of the time she has had after any of the number of times the Emperor has died when she was on Ziost/in hiding to be worthy of the Darth title. I personally don't think your analogy of blaming Marvel for not having Qui-Gon's spirit or the President--Chancellor change is.....quite the same thing....but hence why I call it a pet peeve. Furthermore, even though Darth Vader was originally literally a name as has been in evidence throughout earlier scripts and the way Stenos IV (if that is the right planet) from Marvel has one particular character telling Luke about Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, and Luke's father helping in the Clone Wars or whatever it was, I don't really care. It's my pet peeve, its doesn't have to be entirely logical. But heck, when I read alot of this early material I'm correcting dates in my head (say HTOE, DFR, TLC) or retconning in my own personal way stories like the Marvel flashback of Obi-Wan Kenobi. (It's a great one btw if you're interested.)

Also, if I am also reading the emotion behind your post correctly, perhaps you're peeved with me. If so I would assume it's because you think maybe I didn't know Darth Vader was originally just a name or that I wasn't aware of the many Sith Lords past (Naga Sadow, Ludo Kressh, Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma), present (Flint considering Abel's excellent work), or future (Lumiya) don't have Darth in fron

25. JEDI-KILLER_17

JEDI-KILLER_17 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    R2 won't die. He still hasn't given his account of the story to the Whills. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.