main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature (Spoilers Allowed)' started by dp4m, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARC-77

ARC-77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    I heard that as 'elated'.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Definitely elated. Though, in my opinion, still chilling...

I hope that this isn't a sign Traviss is going to write Ben as blindly-following-Jacen after his possibly revelations in Exile. I mean, I believe he'd go back to Jacen and doesn't believe that the guy's suddenly evil, I just also hope he is a little more self-aware and has a few doubts.

4. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Huh? That's how you write a teaser! You write a description of the story that will - in hindsight - be accurate, without giving away too much detail - in foresight. You can't write a Betrayal teaser that says: Jacen discovers that Lumiya, Dark Lady of the Sith, is back!, instead you write: a dark rendezvous with the most shocking of revelations. You can't write a Tempest teaser that says: Jacen orders his new Star Destroyer, the Anakin Solo, to destroy the Millennium Falcon, with his parents, sister, and apprentice aboard!, instead you write: Han and Leia find themselves at the mercy of their deadliest enemey...their son. That's the whole point of a teaser - to hint without specificity.

All I'm doing is engaging in the process of speculating by reverse engineering the teaser. Everything in the first four books lines up perfectly - in hindsight. Therefore, it's likely the Sacrifice blurb will, too. And given that the blurbs have shown accuracy and deliberate word choice so far, there's every reason to think they wrote this one deliberately, too. So why not try to guess what events they're referring to?

It's not just one word in the blurb. It's the context of the story - which has four books of setup for the premise that Jacen will have to murder someone close to him. It's other publicity for LOTF - which has emphasized a shocking development in Sacrifice. It's the context of what becoming a Sith means in SW, and particularly the fall of Anakin Skywalker - which means being willing to kill someone as close to you as your wife or brother. All of this points to a major character death in Sacrifice. Then the question is, is LFL/DR leaving us a hint in the blurb.....

No. That's why I went through those other teasers for you, point by point. You can complain all you want about hyperbole and inaccuracy in blurbs or back-cover text for other books, but with LOTF they have been very careful. When they say "the most shocking of revelations" it's the Sith, not just some minor bad thing. When they say, "embarks on the same path that his grandfather Darth Vader once did" it's literal not just metaphorical. (How cool is that!) When they say Luke's "a life-and-death struggle" and Han/Leia's "deadliest enemy" it's not hyperbole - Lumiya really does almost kill Luke, and Falcon really does almost get blown out of space. (And then look at how understated the Exile blurb is - no strong wording like that because the heroes aren't in that kind of danger - except Ben, and he's not mentioned.)

I think they're being very savvy in these blurbs. If the revelation wasn't "shocking" or struggle not "life-and-death", fans (like your own earlier post) would be complaining about their exaggeration and misdirection, and we can't believe the blurbs, etc etc. You can't do that with LOTF. Everything fits. And that's the point.

If the families are shocked that Jacen is a Sith, but nothing else tragic happens to them, people will say "That's so lame! The families aren't shattered. They're just sad." But if I'm right and Luke dies, you'd have to say "Holy ****! When they said shatter they meant it - literally!" :eek: Yeah. Just like the "shocking revelation" and the "same path" as Vader and the "life-and-death struggle" and "deadliest enemy" and... [face_whistling]

No, I'm reasoning to conclusions. I certainly have a lot more evidence f

5. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    It is elated. I am actually starting to think of this sacrifice and my opinion is that it might be Ben .

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Did Ben just go to the Dark Side in that excerpt? That was really....creepy. That excerpt, both written and audio has me worried. [face_worried]

7. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    This is exactly what I got out of it, as well. But if that is the case, I doubt they would put it in the excert...right?

Well here we go. Jacen = Darth Who, Ben = Darth Krayt. :p

8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Jacen = Darth Who... [face_laugh]
    Ben = Darth Krayt... Source?:eek:
    :p

The first time I played it, I thought Ben died... and was elated at meeting Yoda.;)

9. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Looking back at the Sacrifice excerpt in Exile and comparing it to the audio excerpt, it would seem there has to be a relatively long time between them.

Sacrifice is supposed to take 30-40 days - am I correct? - and considering that in this audio excerpt Ben has apparently been back on Coruscant for some time, getting a new present etc (and Mara probably would not have run off after Lumiya instantly after Ben came back) - this excerpt probably comes from somewhere around the middle of the book perhaps?

As the Exile excerpt probably comes pretty much from the beginning of Sacrifice. Of course, against that conclusion goes the fact that Mara and Leia start to first speak about what happened in Exile, like it would still be very fresh. Yet, perhaps they just have not got the chance to talk about it before.

10. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    If Leia's on the run, it might well be a few weeks before Mara gets the chance to talk to her.

And I don't think that excerpt was Ben going dark side, just Ben learning to withdraw from the Force - something he showed interest in in the last Traviss book so I guess it makes sense it's being brought up again now.

Now, I found it very creepy also, because my first impression and best guess is that Ben is still under the impression that Jacen's a great guy and is allowing him to continue to teach him stuff. On the other hand, I suppose I could be jumping the gun and that Ben's ability to both withdraw from the Force (or render himself invisible in it) and lie to Jacen (as per Tempest) will turn out to be crucial as Ben continues to lose faith in Jacen even as he learns from him.

Not that that's what I think is happening, just acknowledging that it could be. So...yeah. Gun-jumping could be happening. I hope. :)

11. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    I feel that the Sacrafice will be the Solos Han and Leia, This will prove that he can Sacrafice what he loves and will prove himself to be a sith lord.

I do not believe Jaina to be the Sacrafice since in the Future Comics we have Fels who are force users so i believe Jaina wel Mary Jagged Fel and when Jacen Falls after the new Empire is built it will be both Jacen and Luke who will die. And At this time it will be Jagged Fel and his Wife Jaina who will become the New Empire and there will be peace in the universe. For around 20-30 years or so before events and wars that will lead to Darth Krayt comming in to the picture there are no solo references in the future cause they are dead and gone, Jaina takes a new name. Ben grows up with his Cousins/ Masters Death and his fathers he becomes the Skywalker his father wanted him to be, the order can not be trusted like it was and falls on a dark time for the Jedi again. The empire makes thier own knights by disbanding the Jedi Order and merging them with the empire with no true leadership as Grand Master Skywalker has giving they Follow the empire.

this just how i see the future revealing itself to us.

12. walker_of_minds

walker_of_minds Jedi Master star 1

Dec 19, 2006
    hi new here just ran across this discussion-all really facinating conclusions really-and let's face it all are conclusions based on logical piecing togethers which mean speculations. I was thinking about the book Alligence the play on words and all the various alligences that were active through out the book. If perhaps Sacrifice will have many meaning here as well-wondering if Luke doesn't Sacrifice himself much as Obi did in order to protect Ben or be a teacher to Ben. Where is Luke anyway and why does Mara say "finish what Luke started" while talking to Leia in the excert. hmmm-maybe Luke is teaching Ben to hide in the force to hide for protection. Perhaps dad was teaching and Ben is happy he got it right or maybe dad just showed up as a force ghost. Perhaps Jacen tells of Luke's whereabouts or is somehow responible for his death sets him up and Luke pulled an obiwan sacrifice. I feel this would be a shattering sacrifice either way and serve a dual purpose. Jacen did not want to originally take Luke out per his vision in Bloodline so the loss would be huge with devastating ramifications for all. Of course it could be someone else in addition to Luke and sacrifice of loved ones, friendships, of self on many levels of meaning. Peace

13. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Taung vibroblade lol.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not sold on this! What does Jacen do? Order people around? Proclaim himslef a hero? Beocme the next Hitler? Shouldn't he be doing some planet shaking force power that brings order, stability, and all that stuff? Why the words and the politics? Is this ala post Epsiode 3? Is this a mini Palpatine? Not sold on this series anymore.[face_worried]

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Am I the only one hearing Mark Hamill in Leia's voice?

Please tell me I'm not crazy.

16. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Sorry, but...

...it is still Marc Thompson who reads the whole thing - except that very beginning with the "XJ-7 in neutral space" thing.

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    He sounds just like Mark Hamil during the Leia voice.

18. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Mara Jade is a goner, I can feel it in my bones.

19. Cletus1901

Cletus1901 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2007
    where do you find this exerpt?

20. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Here:

http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780739342749

You can listen it there or download it from the link on the lower part of the page.

21. Cletus1901

Cletus1901 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2007
    much thanks

22. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I have to say... the audio makes me think Mara for sure. Her death would indeed shatter two families... she's been close with Han and Leia for years, she'd be murdered by their son, and she's the love of Luke's life and mother of his son... more importantly she's the next most glaring symbol of Luke's belief in redemption after Vader, she wanted to kill him for being involved in Palpatine's death until Luke revealed the truth to her. That was so important to Luke he gave her the family heirloom lightsaber that Kenobi gave him!

It would only be shocking to see Luke die because they actually had to gumption to do it... it wouldn't really serve the story. It would, however, be shocking if Mara died because it really wasn't predictable, at least not as predictable as Luke would be. Chewie's death was completely unpredictable, and so was Anakin's. That was sort of the point though, wasn't it? Luke's death would actually be too predictable... especially if we are assuming they are following the Cambellian template again(which they did with NJO, and it made perfect sense that Vergere died when she did). Yeah, Luke passing would fit with that theme, but it would be so uber-predictable that LOTF wouldn't be original at all. Besides, it serves Ben better to live under the shadow of Luke... and resent it and want to find his own way and distinguish himself as different in the Jedi Order rather than have his father die and live up to expectations that he be Luke 2.0.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree. :( Mara dying would shatter Luke and Ben, and the fact that Jacen did it would shatter the Solos.

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    it might be Mara but that´s still too obvious to me.

this is Traviss, so Boba Fett will show up, and since sacrifice will have multiple sacrifices... who else might die? Aside from the obvious thing?

Does Fett die? Does Boba sacrifice himself to save someone?

25. saber_death

saber_death Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    i'd say odds are decent that Boba dies in one of Traviss's LOTF entries... but i feel it'll be book 8 (Revelation IIRC), not this one.

alot IMO depends on who the SACRIFICE death is... the bigger that one is the less likely we are to get "mid-major" deaths. if Luke goes, everyone other person in the DP is probably as safe as they'll ever be, while if Tenal Ka is killed, i could see someone as big as Wedge or Boba also dieing in a seperate event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.