main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature (Spoilers Allowed)' started by dp4m, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I doubt that Fett dies.[face_worried] I certainly hope it - Die Fett! Die![face_praying] - but he will pretty likely survive.[face_plain] The bad guys almost always will.[face_frustrated]:mad: And this is one popular villain.:(

2. jedimasterkenobi02

jedimasterkenobi02 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2006
    I think that you are right, Mara is too obvious.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

and they hinted at Leia/Han, Tenel Ka, etc. already, too. so they are safe, I assume.

to really surprise us, it has to be either one we think is safe, or one we hadn´t thought of yet.

4. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    After reading all this thread, something tells me it's going to be a major letdown after all this hype, sod's law.

5. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think you might be overwhelmingly right.

But then again, didn't you read the summary? They say it's gonna be great! [face_batting]

6. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    i actually hope it is a let down I cant stand the thought of han or leia dying or even luke. Mara? not so much.

The only thing i suspect about mara is that she is being built up as though she is the major character in the book (the covers also helps this) Sometimes when a character is built up like this, it is to make their death seem more important but also to give the character a big send off. Think about Chewie and that race in vector prime, landing the ship perfectly on a dangerous run. all done to show he is important and to at least give him one last chance to shine.

Also mara may learn the whereabouts of han and leia meaning that she has knowledge jacen will want and attempt to get from her. He may also see this as a betrayal and decide to kill her for this. This would then save Ben from the darkside as he sees what it does to you.

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    if it is great.. and a death.. what can it be?

that certainly needs someone biting it who is

a) unexpected

b) thought to be safe

c) fans will love the way the death happens and can live without that character in the future

all of that does not apply to Han, Leia, Tenel Ka, Mara, etc.
    Mara seems to be built up as sacrifice.. which might be misleading.
    we saw ghost luke in the legacy comics and we saw ghost luke at the back cover of sacrifice (might be hologram though!) but I say it's Luke.

we do not expect Luke to die. we know it might happen but are sure he won´t be the sacrifice, yet he is what Jacen killed Nelani for, so Luke has to die to

a) Lumiya gets her revenge
    b) Jacen sacrifices someone he has not yet considered and would love too much to touch
    c) Mara seeing reality about Jacen and Ben seeing it, too
    d) shocking both families to their bones like no other death could
    e) galaxy shaking and changing if THE Skywalker of this age dies
    f) serve as Ben's major death spiraling him into becoming the next Skywalker (like Owen & Berus death sent Luke on his journey and like Shmis did for Anakin)
    g) Ben would be driven towards the dark side seeking revenge on Jacen and needs to find his Jedi path
    h) Jacen might turn real sith and not just wannabe, or see reason and shrug back from turning sith... but galaxy hunts him nevertheless, seeing the sith in him
    i) Lumiya has galaxy in chaos, Jacen too troubled, Luke out of the way, Ben on a dark path, and Mara angry as hell. perfect setup for a shocking finale
    j) Luke dying Jedi style finally making it possible for the new jedi order to be free of his guidance and organize itself and learn how to do without choosen one skywalkers for a while. the torch would be given to the next generation truly then and not like tried in the njo novels and like reconsidered in the dark nest trilogy
    k) Jaina vs. Jacen with her as Sword of the Jedi would be set up, and Leia and Han would be against Jacen, too. for his redemption seems most unlikely, the path towards this full circle redemption will be interesting. no more quasi-threats.. now the thing is on for real then with deaths and blood, wars and sacrifices and no longer a "who might it be, who will do it" game.

cetero censeo Luke Skywalker esse delendam

8. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    If I might offer my own 1/50th of a dollar (before taxes)

Civil war rages as the Galactic Alliance?led by Cal Omas and the Jedi forces of Luke Skywalker?battles a confederation of breakaway planets that rally to the side of rebellious Corellia. Suspected of involvement in an assassination plot against Queen Mother Tenel Ka of the Hapes Consortium, Han and Leia Solo are on the run, hunted by none other than their own son, Jacen, whose increasingly authoritarian tactics as head of GA security have led Luke and Mara Skywalker to fear that their nephew may be treading perilously close to the dark side. But all Jacen wants is safety and stability for all?and he?s prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. As the strands of destiny draw ever more tightly together in a galaxy-spanning web, the shocking conclusion will shatter two families . . . and cast a grim shadow over the future.

There's a rather easy way Jacen could make a 'shocking conclusion' that would 'shatter' two families': The boy comes out and declares himself the new Dark Lord of the Sith. That would rip the heart out of Luke, Leia, and Han. Luke will have failed (as he sees it) to save his own nephew, even if there was nothing he could have done. Leia will go back to that vision she had of ol' Palpy saying 'Mine' and realize that it meant this moment, not to mention the horror that her son has become like her father. Han faces the end of his family line, the loss of his boy, and the hideous realization (as do they all) that they may have to kill Jacen to save the galaxy they've given so much to protect.

As for Mara and Ben: Mara done got flumoxed by a kid with delusions of grandeur, that same kid that started her son, her only child on a path that may lead HIM to the Dark Side. Ben now faces a crisis of allegiance: Follow his hero, or his family.

And all Jacen Solo has to do is sacrifice himself, and thus his potential, his duty to his family and their legacy, to his own deluded arrogant view of What Is Right.

9. jedimasterkenobi02

Jun 2, 2006
    Where is the back cover?

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This excerpt makes me nearly confident the sacrifice will be Mara, I saw tons of foreshadowing just in there. Which is why I'm sure it's not her, though it may be built up to be until the end. Mara invesigates Jacen, doing her spy work, and discovers Jacen is with Lumiya and corners him. Jacen sees this as unexpected, but is ready to make her death his sacrifice. Ben is there with Jacen, and can't believe his mother and cousin are fighting. Jacen and Mara duel, and then... Luke appears. He tells Mara to take Ben and leave, their son in more important.Jacen was araid of this and really doesn't want to fight Luke, who seems to be winning at first. But something happens, Luke is struck down and dies, his body disappearing into the Force. Mara & Ben, Leia, Jaina, Tenel Ka & Allana, the whole Jedi Order, and Lumiya feel it send shockwaves through the Force. Jacen has done his sacrifice. Lumiya arrives, but she is enraged at him and begins attacking him, saying the sacrifice was supposed to be Mara or Ben, but not Luke himself! She gives him his "Sith name" while taunting him, and Jacen then kills her too. Ben being able to hide himself in the Force will come in handy now.

11. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Well almost anyone connected to Jacen seems a target of his "sacrafice"...even himself! But I think the sacarfice will Jaina because of the connection those two share, heck it'd almost be like he would sacrafice a piece of himself.........and yeah I'm new here.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Here you go:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/img/20070110_2_bg.jpg]

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I doubt fans will love the way that Luke dies. There will always be very vocal critics of the way Luke dies no matter how he dies.

I truly believe that Luke's death should be mysterious and remain never written and to be left up to our imaginations.

14. JEDI-KILLER_17

JEDI-KILLER_17 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Easy.Way.Out.

15. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Maybe Luke will pull an Obi Wan so he can appear ghostly to Ben or even Jaina.

16. JEDI-KILLER_17

JEDI-KILLER_17 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Or Cade. :rolleyes:

17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Lord_Riven
    I doubt fans will love the way that Luke dies. There will always be very vocal critics of the way Luke dies no matter how he dies.

I truly believe that Luke's death should be mysterious and remain never written and to be left up to our imaginations.

I'll second that, LR! I agree. I don't ever want to read about Luke's death. It doesn't need to happen "on-screen" , so to speak.

18. jedimasterkenobi02

Jun 2, 2006
    Amen to that! No Luke death. I think Luke needs to die like Yoda, of old age.

19. Lord-DarthMerrick

Lord-DarthMerrick Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    The audio excerpt revealed something startling. Mara said "Finish what Luke started" when talking about dealing with Lumyia. That to me reveals that either luke is already dead at this point or Mara is on her way to fight Lumyia. She is seeking Jacen out! So Mara is either the sacrifice or Luke has already died or been seriously injured to this point in the novel. She sounds a bit angry too. Going after Lumyia for revenge.

20. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    It's time for Luke to bite the bullet hopefully.

21. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I think it's much simpler than all that. Mara is referring to the fight at Roqoo Depot (in Tempest), when Luke pumped a series of blaster bolts into Lumiya but didn't kill her. ;)

And since Mara has seen Ben since his return from his adventure in Exile (she gave him the tracer-vibroblade gift), she almost certainly knows he was sent on a mission by Jacen that took him to Ziost, a Sith world. Mara would want to kick Jacen's ass for that alone. Combined it with her knowledge from Tempest that Lumiya has infiltrated the GAG, and Mara knows that Lumiya is endangering Ben. That's reason enough for Mara to want Lumiya dead. [face_devil]

22. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I found this perhaps false Sacrifice teaser from couple of web pages accidentally through Google:

As Jacen Solo continues his rise to power, he grows increasingly like his grandfather, Darth Vader, and his evil Sith mentor, Emperor Palpatine, until he is forced to make a horrifying choice that will forever change his own life and those of the Skywalker and Solo families. 200,000 first printing.

It seems to have come and gone quickly - Google gives as one of the 2 results this page:

http://www.utm.edu/departments/acadpro/library/bakerTaylor/baker.pl

that does not have it up anymore, so no idea how legimate it might be.

The only other page that has it up is a European online book shop at:

http://www.bookplus.fi/product.php?isbn=9780345477408

23. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I'm thinking maybe Jaina is the sacrifice.....I mean, whether he loves her or not she is essentially a part of him, they have that bond, and what Lumiya asks for is for him to create a void within him, what better than killing his twin?

24. gpudh

gpudh Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2007
    I just listened to the audio excerpt and what struck me was the last part about Ben disappearing in the Force and than coming back very happy. Could there not be a great twist with Ben taking out Jacen and/or Lumiya? Maybe he is happy because Jacen has taken out Lumiya as his sacrifice and gets his idols attention back? It would be a very sithy thing to do.

With Lumiya gone there is not arguing that Jacen has gone bad and deserves his new Darth title with a very similar rise or at least goals to his grandfather. Lumiya is Jacen's mentor and would have an emotional impact. Anakin/Vader seems more emotionally upset by his failure to kill Obi-Wan than choking Padme Anakin had to take out Douko to get closer to Palpatine and this may reveal a connection to Darth Kryat behind the scenes and the later history being told in the Legacy's comic series.

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I went and posted up a speculation-heavy analysis piece over on the main TF.N site.

I see that while I was busy, Lord-DarthMerrick has suggested pretty much the same idea about Luke being out of the picture that I was playing around with, though...

Rampant speculation, though... the absence of any other real reference to Luke is suspicious, and the underlying mood of the scene could fit, but the apparent focus on Gilatter VIII makes me somewhat doubtful, although I can see reasons why this could be (or Jacen could have left his parents somewhere with the air running out again)...

[face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.