main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jfostrander, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If Luke was still alive there wouldn't be an Empire.

2. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Unless Luke realized that he can't force the galaxy to change the way he wants and that change will happen no matter how hard you try to stop it and realize you have to change with it. If this new Empire isn't run by a dark sider/Sith, does he honestly have any right to try and destory it if it's what people actually want (those apart of it?) and if it isn't being really evil?

I don't think Lucas ever gave any serious thought on to the aging of humans in the Star Wars universe. Just that the actors he picked happen to be certain ages. I personally would really favor Luke walking the galaxy and just roaming around helping people where ever he could instead of killing him off. That also leaves him open for a huge cameo if he's still alive and well later on.

3. Bratty Jedi Master

Bratty Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 1999
    Based on the "the last remaining heir to the Skywalker legacy" line in the solicitation info, I think it is fairly safe to assume that Luke is dead. Any lines of the Solo kids could still be around if the Skywalker legacy is interpreted as the name or could be gone if it is interpreted as the bloodline. I could see it going either way but if that info is totally legit and not "from a certain point of view" than Luke has to be dead.

As for my opinion on the concept overall, I am very excited by the possibilities, mildly worried by the possible dangers, and looking forward to seeing the execution of the idea so I can make an actual judgement.

Bratty

4. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    Hmm. Luke shouldn't be dead, huh? I guess we'll have to change the following bit of dialogue...

BLUTO: I'm not gonna take this! Wormer? He's a dead man! Marmalard? Dead! Skywalker?...

OTTER: Dead!

5. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    [face_laugh] Nice, Randy. Sneaky, too, now that I think about it... [face_thinking]

- Keralys

6. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Don't technically have to kill him. Just have him ride off into the sunset on some mission or in search of some ancient Jedi knowledge and is never heard from again during the lives of those he left behind. If Artoo and Threepio are in the story, I wouldn't mind seeing them shutdown inside some tomb or temple before a crypt with Threepio having no memory of who's inside and Artoo being he usual "tell you only what you need to know for the moment" self.

7. JarJarStink

JarJarStink Jedi Master star 1

Dec 15, 2003
    Like I said earlier I don't have a problem with Luke dying. I just don't want to know that it has to happen within the next hundred years because if that is the case then I'll pick up every book in that era and already be thinking "is this the one?"

If he gets cut down in battle, I want it to catch me totally off guard like Anakin Solo's death did. It's bad enough that Ackbar died "off screen", doing the same to Luke would take away from the emotional impact his death ought to cause.

On another note I really hope the Jedi manage to fill out to at least 1000+ members. I'm ok with the Sith and the Empire returning, but the thought of another Purge or Jedi on the brink of extinction scenario makes me wanna [face_sick].

It would be cool if the Sith and the Empire were seperate entities. As a matter of fact it would be awesome if there were 4 or 5 powerful factions (GFFA, Empire, Jedi, Sith, Mandos?) all with their own agendas.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    All Mandalorians, present tense.

A Mandalorian is a human being with a blood kinship to an ancient line of conquerors. Like Mongolians, there's Mongolians alright but few of them ride on horseback trying to conquer people.

Go to the average 'Mandalorian' and he'll look at you like you're insane if you want to recover your 'warrior pride.'

But I just like the Mandalorians as an Order of Warriors, not a Race.

Re: Cade

I hope they don't go the route they did before with the Jedi Order in hiding and even that Luke is the last of his line, its frankly poor storytelling I think and rather stinks of rehash.

I don't mind Cade finding his destiny and destroying the Sith but I hope its not because he's the last one, he should do it because no one else can defeat them because he's STRONGER.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I would like to see him die in a massive blaze of glory (err..act of self-scarifice) single handedly saving the galaxy one last time. that would be fitting. Or maybe give him the peaceful end he's arned, like Yoda got. (ps, luke was shocked at the idea of a human living well ove 100, even when he was a jedi master. That's how he figured out that C'both was a clone. I don't having the force increases your life span to a considerble degree.)

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, maybe Nomi's family is just a bunch of near-humans.

And regarding Luke's death. I think its better for some heroes to die in their sleep.

Raistlin and Tanis dying in battle....worked well.

But it was good for Camaron to die of natura causes.

11. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I still believe that no EU author can kill Luke. Riding off into the sunset would be my hope/prediction.

12. Silver_mane

Silver_mane Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Very interesting, well I'm game, seeing how most of my money is going to Dark Horse(SW and Berserk) and Vertigo(Fables)as far as comic-related addiction goes.

Currently getting shipped to me:

2 copies of KOTOR #1*
    Republic #82

*As it turns out, I purchased one copy from Milehigh Comics.com and my dad is getting the other copy and Republic for me from TFAW.com

Twice the KOTOR goodness! [face_laugh]

Plus: My local store is ordering Tales Vol 6....

Now that I think about it, if it wasnt for Berserk and SW, I wouldnt have been interested in comics whatsoever.

When I actually get the funds, Ill pick up the clone wars Vol 1-6, in order to catch up with the Republic series.

13. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    John, if this is not an implant-risking question:

Is this Sith Order's origins in any way related to Lumiya?

also, please may a Mon Cal Sith lord!

14. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm repeating what I've found regarding the meaning of Cade Skywalker's name. To see if the name CADE has any clues about this character's destiny. I think I've found some interesting dots to connect.

CADE translates as a young calf whose mother has left it. A young motherless calf raised by hand.

(also)

CADE translates as ROUND. Kind of fits Vader's words in Episode IV. That line "the CIRCLE is complete." So ROUND fits with CIRCLE.

Now I'm going to do some speculation based on what little has been released about SW:LEGACY. My speculation will also make mention of possible events in the LEGACY OF THE FORCE novel series.

Most likely the LOTF novel series will cover the events of a Third Galactic Civil War. (The first being the 'Clone Wars' and the second being the 'Rebellion'.) This third galaxy spanning conflict involved the Galactic Alliance and a separatist movement called the Second Confederacy of Independent Systems. The restored Jedi Order found itself trying to hold the galaxy together. Only to find it could not.

As with all civil war family and friends find themselves on differing sides of an all consuming wildfire. The Solos and Skywalkers are not immune to the beat of the war drum. The two heroic clans would with time and pain be sundered from one another. The damages done are generational.

My guess is the new separatist movement wins and Diktat Thrackan Sal-Solo becomes a figurehead 'emperor'. The real power behind his office is Darth Lumiya - Dark Lady of the Sith. The Jedi Order found itself in a trap of irony. While the Galactic Alliance became increasingly a police state in reaction to terrorism the greedy Second Confederacy becomes a beacon of capitalistic freedom.

Jedi Knights must ask themselves what is more important - the Force or the freedom of individuals. Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker made a fateful choice. He urged the Jedi Order to support the Galactic Alliance despite his serious doubts. For many this cemented the Jedi Knighthood as theocratic oppressors in the long run.

Not all Jedi Knights accepted his decision and opted for the Second Confederacy and its propaganda of independence. In time even Luke's own grandson left the Jedi Order to become a Force strong free agent. That grandson would have a son named Cade before meeting his end.

Cade Skywalker is raised by a space pirate (a member of Yoda's species) named Rav. Cade Skywalker rejects his family history as a tragic mistake or a grand case of meglomania. Cade like his father is a free agent. The new comic series will begin as Cade accepts a job from a mysterious client. A job that will violently resolve the mistakes of the past century. It will also trigger all new conflicts.

Well what do you think?

15. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    i have 2 things to say (er type):

1. i really hope that by seeing the future it doesn't completly restrict the legacy book series (also would it really have hurt to have 2 totally different names??? this is even b4 they are both out!!!)

2. i'm def going to get issue #0 and #1-5 to give the series a chance but i'm really worried of the re-hash factor as many of you have pointed previously posted.

also what's wrong w/ comics in-between ep3 and 4? it just seems to me that the legacy book series should have a nice conclusion to the saga

everything has to end at some point. even star wars

EDIT:
    "Second Confederacy of Independent Systems"????????????????????

where in the unholy hell did this come from? i've never heard of it. sweet sassy-molassy! there are truely no more original ideas left in the world. that is unless you just made it up Ulkesh2 in which case i didn't mean to insult you.

16. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Seems to me that that'd be a good thing. I'm sure people like Ex would agree, it'd give some actual suspence to those following books.

17. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I'm not going to read this this whole thread, but all I can say is that I'm simultaneously excited and terrified about this new storyline.

Another question probably asked before, is it possible that at some point this whole storyline will be disregarded as an alternate future when the novels eventually catch up to this time period?

18. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999

Thank you sir! May I have another?

19. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Hi all--

I continually learn so much by lurking around here... Real interesting discussions going on about Legacy and Star Wars in general. But there is one aspect of this I have got to address--the Twi'lek why she is dressed as she is. Being a female person myself so I am sensitive to issues of exploitation. That is not my intention.

When designing the Twi'lek I was attempting to call to mind a sci-fantasy version of a female Pict warrior--tattooed and fierce in appearance. Perhaps she is someone who uses their tribal markings as their armor--as if through some 'magic' she does not need actual armor. I think clarity about this character will come when she is seen in the series and we know more about her, but for now I just needed to clear up the issue of why she is dressed the way she is. Covering the tattoos (which I did think about, but rejected) would have removed the primitive quality I wanted to instill in her.

20. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    SW is like the flow of classical symphony music. Themes repeat with variations. Also SW works on the idea that history repeats itself in the colors of irony and 20/20 hindsight. So expect age old concepts to resurface in new window dressings and contrasting emphasis. Mirror images and parallel paradoxes abound in that galaxy far, far away. Reality is also like this...

only in reality it's for keeps. For life has nasty teeth that grind and rip and chew. We are life's stew.

[face_thinking]

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In any case, I'd like to share my RPGing groups thoughts....

This is pretty much a good description of our talk.

Kyle: So basically, the whole premise is that after we do a rehash of the Clone Wars we're going to do a rehash of Knights of the Old Republic.

Chris: I LOVE IT.

Kyle: Uh...huh.

Charles: I'm skeptical honestly despite all my initial enthusiasm. This is going to tick off a lot of fans.

Kyle: A lot of fans are stick in the muds who don't know how good writing works.

Charles: I'm sorry, who here has written 4 novels soon to be published?

Kyle: You know, I hate you bringing that up every conversation.

Charles: There's an upside and a downside honestly. The upside is that its only 100 years from Legacy. Which means its POSSIBLE if not terribly likely that Luke hasn't died from Old Age and that we might see Ben Skywalker and some other old foggies walking around the background.

Kyle: They said that he was the last of the Skywalker line.

Charles: Yes, and Luke Skywalker was the last of the Jedi...except Ikrit, Odd Bnar, Rhan, Kyle Katarn, Brand, Kam Solusar....

Kyle: So you're basically saying that he's the last of the Skywalkers until they have a story that comes along where a Skywalker is needed?

Charles: Pretty much.

Chris: This is AWESOME.

Kyle: Go on....

Charles: Plus, also, we won't be utterly bamboozled by new faces. It won't be unrealistic to have the "Great great whatever" of Wedge Antilles fighting alongside Cade Skywalker and also people that we might remember. The visible Legacy of Luke Skywalker will be coating this entire thing and he won't be some distant Jedi Master. He'll be like George C. Patton. Everyone will look up to him and say

"Patton would have done it differently" because he saved the galaxy from the Vong and the Empire. He'll be like Luke comparing himself to Anakin, a man who made a visible change in the galaxy in fairly recent memory. Plus, we'll be able to see stuff like X-wings.

Chris: So awesome.

Kyle: But there's the whole fact that they haven't mentioned the Republic though and there's definitely a Civil War.

Charles: Which brings us to our downside. If Luke, Han, and Leia are finally pretty much going to be confirmed to be dead then there's going to be people who think that their accomplishments are diminished. I don't think that is the case because I've been campaigning for the Sith to return for some time (they're great villains and if you want great villains you've got to have the heroes not succeed some of the time) and even the Empire.

However, if we're playingthe "not mentioned" game, lets' also note they didn't say "New Rebellion" which is something that would be equally telling. I'm actually inclined to think that there's no tyrannical Empire here potentially or also the possibility that the GFFA is alive and well. It's just back to the TTT where the Empire is also alive and well.

Kyle: You could argue that diminishes the movies.

Charles: Possibly, on the other hand the heroes have done more than anyone else in the history of mankind to save civilization. Civilization trugs on in the GFFA even if their victory over evil isn't complete. Certainly, the Yuuzhan Vong, Dark Empire, and the Ssiruuk were about utterly destroying reality after all. They're a lot more dangerous than the Empire ever was and we can take comfort the Vong, Emperor, and Ssiruuk are gone completely. Lesser threats like the Yevetha and the Toffs (Marvel comics villains) plus Nightsisters have also been destroyed completely by the heroes efforts.

Star Wars is a world that I liken to Superheroes on Earth. No, Superman will never uttery destroy Darkseid and the other Supervillains nor will Batman ever wipe out crime in Gotham but they have moved the galaxy from utter ruin into a place that good people can live in.....and will continue the struggle to eventually cause all wars to end. I find it a much more compelling message than the assumption anyone can just causally waltz in and end all evil barring Jesus himself.

K

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Interestingly enough, I was originally going to use the Mongolians for a comparison, but decided against them in favour of Medieval Europeans as the better example.

You're right though, to imply that there are few Mandos nowadays who gad about trying to conquer people, as the vast majority of them (barring the remnants of the Death Watch, presumably) prefer to work as mercenaries.

Right. Just like a Jedi would react if you told him you wanted to recover the ancient art of lightsaber combat.

A little late for that now, I'm sorry to say.[face_thinking]

Umm, okay, where exactly were you going to use that, may I ask?o_O

23. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    It would be cool to see Cade come across somebody with the name "Solo", because by this point, they'd be distant, distant cousins.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this. REALLY REALLY looking forward to it.

I think this will open alot of doors. I want video games in the legacy era. Like KOTOR. Instead of having things like "Jolee Bindo's Visor" you can have things like "The Boot of Luke Skywalker"

24. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    I'm really excited about this from seeing the promos. I'm not sure I get the argument that a Skywalker can't be a pirate or has to be a Luke clone. I mean, Mara was a smuggler for many years and it's not too far a stretch from smuggler to pirate. Luke's not the only one contributing genetic material. And for all we know, one of the Skywalkers could have married someone related to anyone from Mirax to Lumiya to Quinlan. Luke is only one part of his background.

And for those of you who think no one can be evil in skimpy futuristic swimwear... I present to you Sting in his Harkonnen speedo. Surely that doesn't tell you everything there is to know about Dune!

Having more than one red-skinned female dark Twi'lek jedi/sith in the entire star wars universe doesn't seem like too much to me. I mean how many force users seem to be white, male, and from a Great Britian sort of ancestery? There aren't enough magenta-furred Whiphid jedi I tell ya.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>I think this will open alot of doors. I want video games in the legacy era. Like KOTOR. Instead of having things like "Jolee Bindo's Visor" you can have things like "The Boot of Luke Skywalker" <<<

Or the Glove of Darth Vader... [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.