main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Lightsabre Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Mar 1, 2002.

?

The Official Lightsabre Competition

Poll closed Mar 10, 2002.
  1. Rotoscope Clip 'B'

49 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Rotoscope Clip 'C'

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Rotoscope Clip 'D'

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Rotoscope Clip 'E'

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Rotoscope Clip 'F'

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Rotoscope Clip 'G'

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Rotoscope Clip 'H'

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Rotoscope Clip 'I'

39 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Rotoscope Clip 'J'

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Rotoscope Clip 'K'

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
  2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I would vote, but I have AO Friggin L on 56k, so I'll just WATCH THE FUN. :(

3. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Okay folks,

The lightsabre competition is finally here. Special thanks to DMaul who started the ball rolling, and also thanks to the people who actually created clips. Obviously without you guys we had nothing.

One of the 'rules' stated that the sabres needed to be blue and green - well, I guess there are a few colourblind rotoscopers out there! So for the sake of the competition we'll ignore that one, and just vote on which you prefer, regardless of colour.

Here are the clips, all of the other information you need is on the actual page. Happy downloading, and remember, it's all just a bit of fun, I don't want any temper tantrums from you people if you don't win :)

Remember, one person, one vote. So vote rigging is not possible :p

4. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Cool, it's good to see that this thing actually got off the ground. I think it says a lot for this forum and it's members...Cheers guys :)

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    LOL, I didn't even vote for mine.

I can't wait to see how this turnes out.

6. Seth-of-the-Sith

Seth-of-the-Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2001
    I personally think "I" looks the best.

7. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Agreed (with Link). I don't know who did those clips, but there are some nice efforts, and some not so good. Still, at least it was good to see something like this come around. Good job, people.

I know who I'm voting for - B!

8. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    I think B just pipped I, with F close behind. Be good to see who was behind each one though :D

9. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    It was a hard choice between B and I, but I picked I.

10. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Well I'm keeping my vote a secret :)

To anyone that wanted to enter a clip, but didn't get it in on time I apologise. As it turns out, the poll has a maximum of ten entries anyway, so now was a good time to close it out.

Can everyone that entered please PM me with the actual programme(s) you used, towards the end it was a little difficult to keep track of who used what programme. Don't worry, you have nine days to reply :)

11. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I like B and D, but where is "A"?

EDIT: Okay A sucked...

12. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Wow, B and I look perfect! I will have to flip a coin to pick. Good work. I think they all get an A+ for effort.

13. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    And here in lies the problem with the comments I had about keeping things organized and set color wise. I personaly cant cast a vote because several of the clips are using different colors which skews it. Certain methods will make one color look great but have a hard time with another. Ill just wait to see what was done with what, there were some very good entries but Im not willing to make a decision with flawed data.

14. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    A for Absent.

I voted. It was a pretty tough decision between a couple of those. They're pretty good.

15. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Clip B is Episode II worthy. Clip I is very excellent. The thing I see is this. Clip Bs glows are not as bright as Clip I. I think that Clip B looks like Episode I sabers, and that Clip I looks like the original trilogy. GREAT work. Mine look more like Clip B when I do mine than Clip I as well...he he.

EDIT: By the way...Clip B looks like Ryan_Ws method to me.

16. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Clip H has that old school RotJ Luke Skywalker saber feel to it. It earns my vote.

17. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Hmmm, I rounded it down to d and i. Eventually gave it to d, since the colours weren't too saturated compared with the background, and the edges had more of a natural blur.

18. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    I would also like to thank everyone who contributed, aswell, and thank Daft for takin over during my leave for a few days and finishing this thing off :)

Also, thanks to everyone for voting, and I cant wait to see how the votes turned out :)

Shawn - I appreciate your input, and that is one of the things that I was trying to get at from the beginning.

IMO tho, they actually look fine with the different colors, although I have to agree with you that it is a bit tough to judge on some of the clips.

Still, excellent job to everyone :)

19. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    I finally got my internet connection back last night to find I've missed all the fun!! I would have liked to enter the contest. Is the original unrotoscoped clip available somewhere just to play with?

-tm

20. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Congrats *DMaul*! This was a great idea. And thanks to Daft for getting it all put together.

I wish we had more polls like this!

I voted for...ahh...who am I kidding, nobody cares. :p

21. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Very close for me between B and I

but the blue saber of I does not look as good as all the rest.

I'm going with B.

22. DarthFoole

DarthFoole Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2001
    I'm wondering whether the creators should provide Daft with the length of time it took to do the clip, so that info can be posted after the results are all complete.

23. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    That was another thing that I originally asked of the rotoers, but with the newer clip, I dont know if Daft asked that (hopefully he did =P)

24. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    "I personaly cant cast a vote because several of the clips are using different colors which skews it. Certain methods will make one color look great but have a hard time with another."

- Shawn_PTH

I can't agree with you more. It all comes down to which color made it look better. Because B and I both looked excellent (heck, I would've said they're the same program), I had to decide on which one looked more natural. In the end, though, I had to flip a coin. B won out. :)

25. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    I'm really suprised B is doing so well in the poll. It's good, but the red saber looks pretty dim or flat...

And also I'm amazed F isn't doing a lot better!

To me, looks like F and I are clearly the best.
    I voted I.
    Hope it's mine... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.