main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I have zero complaints.

2. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    With only one viewing under the belt I don't know exactly where I stand, but here is my list:

No crawl, we all knew this, but without the big BANG of the John Williams opener, it just didn't start off "feeling like Star Wars". I think this experiment failed. I think a 3 paragraph crawl would have helped this film. I'm voting for a special edition already with the John Williams opener and a crawl. RO title showing up later, out of place.

Music was weak. Just nothing was emotionally grabbing. Same with TFA. Just no music stood out.

Not a fan of the text telling you what planet or place we were at.

Pacing in first half was slow, pacing at the end rushed.

"Rebel Command" seemed like nobody was in control. They were whiny and wimpy. Would have been nice if Bail took control, even Mon Mothma was weak in the deal.

Out of ALL the bad guys in this movie, from mouse droids, to troopers, to officers to Tarkin, Vader was the only one out of place. Vader felt 100% forced, and just didn't fit in. His bacta scene. His Director Krennic scene. His final scene was the worst of all. It was like watching/playing, a video game of Vader. Slash, stab, choke, "triangle" "circle" "square" "L1" "L2". I had no emotional connection to the people he killed, I had no connection to Vader.

And the biggest complaint: "Too DARK, too SERIOUS". Just tired of it. In this day and age, movies can only be judged a success by how dark, gloomy and sad they are. With the exception of the droid, almost zero humor. Think back to the OT, almost every character had humorous moments. Not these days. We kinda knew these characters wouldn't make it, but they just went out all so weak, and the saddest part is you barely cared that they died. I went into this movie disliking Jyn, but at the end, I just pitied her:
    I mean after all that, she just ends up kneeling on the beach embracing what's his name (guy who was about to kill her dad just hours earlier), and then getting vaporized?
    Out of all these new Disney era films, "Solo" was the one I was LEAST looking forward to, but now I'm holding out hope that it will be lighthearted and have humor. For as much as I bagged on TFA for being a complete rehash, I have to give it mad props for having a lot of humor from a lot of characters. I hope future directors channel the original spirit of Lucas' Star Wars, a fun Saturday space adventure. Not this new emo, gloomy, "dark" movie style.

3. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    they saw the destruction and they run off immediately to Tatooine ;)

4. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001

Leia may not have known. And the transmissions *were* beamed to the ship - or rather, the other ship before the Tantive IV took off.

5. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    - The humour missed the mark consistently
    - The blind guy felt cartoony and he was annoying with his repeated catchphrase
    - Krennic's actor was meh and didn't bring much personality
    - Editing of Jynn's scene in the final battle (it was rushed)
    - Still wished for more slower moments. I can accept the film for what it is, but both the 2 new Star Wars films have lightening fast pacing.
    - Most of the action scenes before the rainy planet were lame

DarthMatt41, J_Girl and dan1210 like this.
  6. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    My list of complaints -

Score - wasn't very memorable at all. Serviceable at best although when you realise how short the time was I can forgive it.

Crawl and title - sorry but it fell flat. Should have had a crawl or at least got someone with some talent to design the title card? Awful.

Tarkin - why not use the Emperor instead?

Bor Gullet (aka the octopus thing) - seemed shoved in needlessly and even after the mid probe Saw STILL doubts the story? WTF? Plot hole from reshoots I reckon.

Dr Evazan & Panda Boba - what are they doing on Jedha? Are they devout Church of the Force adherents now? ****** fan service.

Chirrut- muttering the force is with me etc too much, also seemed kinda silly how he took out all those Stormtroopers with armour. Also silly that he used his bow caster to shoot down a TIE on Edau.

Edau generally, did they need to crash land? Seemed over-wrought story wise.

Vader - voice was awful, fat neck in one scene was off putting. I kinda wish we hadn't seen him take out those troops as that's not how he does it in ANH, he hangs back and lets his Stormtroopers bust in and wreck shop before he casually walks in.

Scarrif stuff, trying to get the message to the fleet to take out the shield gate, surely that would have been their entire focus REGARDLESS? Once you know you need to get there and get out then that would have been part of your plan?

Krennic not dead? Why have his death be ambiguous? Lost some closure there, I was more frustrated than Jyn!

Darth Smurf likes this.
  7. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    My problem was how they kept switching the actions scenes every 30 seconds in the third act. It was flipping from character to character, from ground to space so rapidly that the action didn't flow well imo. There would be an AMAZING shootout going on and it would cut to something else.

Very similar to the editing for Godzilla. Right as an awesome action scene got going, it changed focus to another moment.

Other than that i loved the film.

cwustudent and boonjj like this.
  8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Not really a complaint but we did not learn anything new about the Kyber crystals at all.

nightangel likes this.
  9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I didn't look at it as a plot hole, more that it showed Saw was completely paranoid about the Rebels assassinating him and was mad.

Typical Hollywood building the tension kind of moments. Maybe they didn't realise the shield needed to be down to transmit? But it was all kind of a rushed assault with the commando team going against orders before the fleet decided to help. However it all worked much better than the rushed briefing scene and subsequent attack on SKB in TFA I thought.

I don't think it needed to be shown that he died, it was implied enough for me anyway.

Did they mention in the film that they power a Jedis lightsaber as well as being used as the power source for the Death Stars weapon? I'm getting mixed up with the film and some of the behnd the scenes stuff I've read.

But if they did then thats new info for general fans who have no idea about Kyber crystals. They already know how powerful a lightsaber is and will realise that mining a lot of crystals will create untold power that can destroy a planet.

Probably the worst moment of the film for me. Totally unnecessary. But after one viewing I had very few nitpicks which is unusal, in the main I think they hit the mark with this film.

I liked it in this, it was more dry and sarcastic. They got the balance right for me.

cwustudent likes this.
  10. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I think these were the 're-writes and re-shoots' to make their deaths more 'meaningful' and 'emotional'.

The Rogue One Title font was incredibly amateurish. It is hard to believe that they did not have better suggestions.The opening planet shot and 'pan-up' and 'Iris out' was excellent on the other hand.

Paparazzo likes this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    1st BIB - Yes, they did.

2nd BIB - Very true.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Don't know why this is the first thread I entered after watching it, because I absolutely loved it. My complaints are minor:

- The opening fifteen minutes or so were disjointed and choppy. They had too much exposition to do, but in the end it paid off with the amount of amazing action they could squeeze in later on
    - CGI Tarkin and Leia. Unconvincing and will age poorly
    - The music wasn't amazing

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    "I am one with the force the forceisonewithme" was more annoying than JJB!

14. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    read Catalyst. There is plenty of information about them there ;)

15. Echo7even

Echo7even Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    My complaints are nitpicks. I loved the movie.

But:

I personally feel that Hayden Christensen should have been Vader only because I feel that a lot of the subtle body movements that he incorporated into his performance made me feel that he was Vader before he actually became Vader. The way Vader moved in this movie wasn't as accurate IMO. Again, just a nitpick.
    The CGI for Tarkin was ok, not the greatest but Leia was terrible. Personally, I wouldn't have shown her face. They didn't need to.
    As others have pointed out, the fonts were weird.

None of that takes away from anything though. Great movie. I which Edwards had done Episode VII.

DarthKreVass, S73 and Evening Star like this.
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I rather like that. The Jedi were extinct (at least that is what people thought), the Empire ruled over the galaxy with a iron fist and yet he still had faith. Now what happened at the end could be deemed as corny (at least to me it was) but it is a movie after all.

17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -CGI Tarkin was, distracting. Still wish that they wouldn't have done that TBH. CGI Leia was really unnecessary imo.
    -Galen isn't in the movie enough imo.
    -The music was ok, but nothing amazing.
    -The first part was, wonky. Not horrible, but a bit clunkily put together.
    -I wouldn't call it a "complaint" per se, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about the ending yet.

jaqen, arjank, weezer and 1 other person like this.
  18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Act 1 was a narrative mess. Individual scenes were good, but they did not flow together very well.

That's pretty much it, at least right now.

19. The Exogorth

The Exogorth Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2016
    My complaint: it's not out on home media yet so I can watch it multiple times.

Other than that, nothing! I feel very fortunate that this movie got made. As a SW fan for over 30 years, I never dreamed something like this would be made. And a good job they did.

20. Markpro

Markpro Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    The music...i hated it, it was too jarring in parts (i think it was when Bhodi or Jyn first meets Saw, the trumpets were ridiculous and not necessary).
    That title screen and music...terrible and must be changed for the Bluray release

That's really about it...can't do much with the pace of the first act now or the slowness of the 2nd act but things like taking more time with the cgi on Tarkin and Leia can be sorted before the bluray.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  21. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Two complaints: 1) The score. Giacchino's "da-da-das" sound EXACTLY like they do in his Star TREK work. Too similar. Took me out of a few scenes when I could consciously hear Star Trek music being played.
    and 2) the first half hour went to too many places and too many planets way too quickly. So much so that the film makers had to put the names and functions of the planets on the screen because they knew the audience would be able to keep up. I don't mind the planet names and functions on screen (although it has never been done in a Star Wars film before). My gripe is the WHY they had to put the names and functions on the screen. Too choppy, too quick. They did it to help us keep up.

other minor complaint: the quality of CG for Tarkin and Leia.

Movie still gets an "A" from me. Loved it.

BookExogorth and cwustudent like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Tarkin looked sweaty to me, like he just been jumping rope in the Death Star steam room or something getting ready for a big Imperial wrestling meet or something. I am not sure his character was necessary in the grand scheme even though I did enjoy the jostling for power by him and Orson. He could shown up at the very end after it became clear Director Krennic was spinning out of control.

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I would have just recast him. I get why he's here, just use make up and prosthetics on the new actor (perhaps augmented with some limited CGI). CGI Leia, was even worse. And that was totally unnecessary given how she's used. Just don't show her face, you don't need to. Everyone will know who that is regardless.

24. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    Really can't think of much. I guess the score in some parts.

25. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    -Music was only decent, was expecting better.
    -Very weak first act and only marginally better second.
    -Thinly drawn characters even for a Star Wars movie.
    -The droid was pretty much a droid in name only. Far too human. He had Tony Stark level timing and annoyance.
    -They didn't go all the way but nothing about Jyn and Cassian suggested romantic feelings for each other. They never bonded to that extent for me.
    -