main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Official "List Your Complaints About TFA" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Picking up some little details - i always cringe during the scene in the Resistance HQ, when they show the difference in sizes between Death Star and SKB. That something weird and bad in the way this comparison was delivered.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, there's not very much about TFA that I dislike, but that part was kind of silly. It feels that way to me every time I see it.

3. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017

To be honest, I think the Resistance scenes are slightly weak.

When you watch the OT, the extras all seem like genuine characters but with TFA, I always feel like i'm watching people run across the screen for effect. Maybe its just me. Check out the scenes on D'Qar when the pilots are prepping their X-wings and you see people run across the screen - just seems a little unnatural.

4. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    It's like a skit from a comedy show.

"the death star but even bigger!"
    insert canned laughter here

5. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Its Star Killer Base sir, its gone from suck to blow.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    So they did a scene that covers what the crawl covered in ROTJ ... "Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star.."

In this movie the weapon on SKB isn't revealed until midway and so they need the characters to react to its emergence with reference to any relevant points in Star Wars movies - e.g. The "dreaded Death Star" (specifically the previous most powerful weapon in the Galaxy).

The humour derives from Han's jadedness at the concept of a small moon/planetoid sized weapon .While the new characters (clearly not old enough to be alive or in service at the time of ROTJ) coming in with their assessment of it and offer their desire to be as jaded as Solo is, but the scale of the problem isn't allowing them to do so.

Is it the case that humour should not be derived from the appreciation of scale because it's proscribed behaviour in a Star Wars film? ("That's no moon. That's a space station. Look at the size of that thing!")

Or that it cannot be derived from appreciation of scale or appearances and therefore should not be tried? ("You came in that thing?!", "What a piece of junk!")

There's a progression with Han Solo's treatment of these briefings. In ANH he scoffs and is dismissive. In ESB he's more proactive and provdes feedback on the rebel's disposition at Hoth. In ROTJ he's embarrassed by the attention he receives for volunteering to lead a squad into a heavily defended Imperial base. So by TFA, some 30 years and a lot of family strife later, Solo is now taken the seen it all, done it all, just point it out on the map approach (one which Finn adopts enthusiastically).

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I probably laughed way too much in the theater at that part. I still think it's hilarious. :p

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was a thumbs up but watching it a second time after seeing people think it was a middle finger makes it even funnier.
    Especially reading a fan-fic about it.

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I definitely thought it was an "OK"--it's mimicking Finn's thumbs-up gesture.

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

Well, if we were wrong about R2's true intentions, then we could be wrong about BB as well. ;)

[​IMG]

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Even 3PO has said to R2: "You watch your mouth!!" [face_laugh]

AAAAAAAAHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, YES.

ANYWHOO, now that TFA has been out for over a year, and I've had some time to see it multiple times and think about it, I would say at this point my main issue with it is just how LITTLE we've learned about the story (and characters) at this point. I mean I even feel that ANH covers more, storywise upon it's original release than this one. I mean really-think about it: We really have no idea who any of the new characters really are (except maybe Finn), lots of stuff happens or is just....there at this point in the story, with no explanation at all about how they came about, or their significance. (Example? See: Hosnian Prime) And only by reading books and watching interviews and whatnot can we learn everything from certain planets' names and various plot points.

starocean90 and Mr. Forest like this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Sorry for the double post, but I'm at work and I ran out of time to edit.

RE: my last post, I would think that once we see the trilogy as a whole and look back, we might see TFA's storyline differently, and see that perhaps more has been shown than we understood at the time, but I doubt it. IMO if they want a story to reach any kind of conclusion by the end of Episode IX, then TLJ has some major ground to make up, in terms of plot and backstory. Either way, TFA ultimately seems like basically an extended teaser trailer for the ST.

13. chewiethebacca

chewiethebacca Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2017
    While I love the force awakens with some minor flaws, the new stormtrooper helmets look like cute little ducks. Doesn't anyone else see that? (BTW, my avatar was chosen out of that reason)

WhyKnock likes this.
  14. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016

Donald Duck would be the most feared FO Stormtrooper.

He has enough anger to become a powerful Sith Lord.

starocean90 and chewiethebacca like this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    We don't know if they do or not.

Maybe they don't.

It'll be quite a feat for TLJ to tell it's own story and TFA's at the same time. That makes for quite a packed movie.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That's a fair point. I mean, without the appearance of Luke at the end and the brief mentions of him throughout the movie, it's basically a Han Sole centric movie. When you look at Kylo being Han's son, Han establishing a father/daughter bond with Rey, seeing Han zipping around the galaxy again in the Falcon, the Falcon being once again the main vehicle our protagonists use to get around, being largely updated on Han and Leia's relationship and seeing how all that turned out, Han being killed as the big "Oh no!" moment, Chewie picking up where Han left off. I mean it really does seem like a Han Solo focused story, with Luke being nothing but a side point and a mere topic of conversation between characters.

ChildOfWinds and DARTH_BELO like this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    "Let this thread die in peace...." Îmwe, Chirrut

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

Totes agree. After all, when you sit and think about it, basically the whole episode centered around finding Luke Skywalker-that was the only motivation with both the protagonists and antagonists, and everything that occurred was as a result of that. Pretty much NOTHING else of story significance happened. Just...finding Luke.

Anyways, I do still enjoy TFA as an entertaining installment to the saga in its own right. And like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if after this ST is completed, we might end up seeing it in a different light.

19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    And not even WHY they want to find Luke. No implications as to what purpose that finding him would serve. Nor any idea as to what significance he would have on the characters or scenarios. Just...find him.

We don't even know what purpose Rey of Finn serve. Whereas ANH establishes that in Luke, and TPM establishes that in Anakin.

20. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    That being a middle finger never crossed my mind. When I started to hear that people thought that, I wondered if they knew they were watching Star Wars or something related to Earth, like Guardians of the Galaxy.
    I don't think Lucas would have made that comparison in the movie, even if he would have made a Starkiller Base. It was too much like something an audience would wonder and thus not want it confirmed.
    The more I've thought about it, this movie didn't feel as grand as an anticipated (often questionable, since it was repeatedly stated there would be no 7, 8, 9) sequel to "Return of the Jedi" should have felt. We needed a more clear assessment of how the First Order came about, and even the Republic after the Empire. The problem is simply in the amount of time that has passed in real life since 1983 and a story had to take place thirty years later. Episode VIII could go anywhere, but VII just seems like it can easily feel like a wasted opportunity driven by a gimmick (Han dying; Luke's cliffhanger).

DBPirate likes this.
  21. chewiethebacca

chewiethebacca Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2017

They are meant to continue the story in the name of the old cast - passing the torch. While it may be annoying that there are a lot of open questions right now, I won't judge until the Triology is finished. :)

22. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I know, I'm just saying that maybe they didn't have to spend a whole episode (out of just three-presumably) for 2+ hours, just finding him. The Last Jedi be like; "Okay, well we've found Luke Skywalker now...Shall we get started then?"

starocean90 likes this.
  23. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

As soon as Luke enters the movie, he will own it, so in TFA we had time to know our new friends before reaching Luke.

Martoto77 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    This was what Arndt discovered while trying to include Luke in his go at Episode VII. Lucasfilm, Abrams and Kasdan agreed with him.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree with that, but as I mentioned earlier, I wasn't just talking about getting to know the details about the new main characters. Which, BTW despite the good idea to spend the first film focusing on them, we still don't know much about them at all really. And for the point that ANH was also vague, I don't agree with that. Much more was explained about why things were happening, we learned much more about Luke when he was introduced, and the motivations for why everyone did what they did was more involved. And I'd imagine I don't even need to mention how TPM was different in this way. I know TFA isn't those, but just incase any thoughts arose of comparing starts to a trilogy, that's why I stated that.

I'm simply posting an opinion about something I didn't like about TFA, which is precisely the purpose of this thread. We're a third of the way through this trilogy, and I just feel like I don't know all that much more than a Blu-ray case backside plot synopsis or an opening crawl could've told me. That's all. [face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.