main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Official "List Your Complaints About TFA" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

"Abram's bigger is better mindset"?

Is that why he had Han roll his eyes and pour scorn on the importance of its scale?

Is that why he and Kasdan wrote it that the flaw in these weapons be exposed once again and have it as symbolic of the FO's flawed adoration of Imperial ideology?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank God someone is defending this film's honor. This poor damsel in distress, left to wolves...

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    First post in this thread for a long time, and first actual complaint. I think it's probably fair to say on reflection that perhaps the film was just a shade too open ended, and hasn't really given the filmmakers afterwards much in way of limitations within which to work. It still works great as perhaps the best pilot episode of something ever, but as a third of a trilogy, maybe its a bit lacking.

11-4D, Qui-Riv-Brid and ZodaEX like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think they would have been better off going with "Starmocker Base", where they just orbit planets and hurl insults at the enemy, like the french guy from "Holy Grail". It would also have brought the film more in line with Arthurian legend. Can't believe JJ missed that.

11-4D, DL44Jo, Lulu Mars and 2 others like this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Starmocker Base (to Hosnian Prime): I fart in your general direction!

*Galactic chaos ensues*

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Your planet smells of elderberries!

DL44Jo and Gigoran Monk like this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Comms between Han on the Falcon and Hux on the Finalizer:

Han: Tell Kylo, if he gives us spare parts and supplies, he can join us on our quest for Luke Skywalker.
    Hux: Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen, he already knows where Luke is, you see.
    Han: What?
    Finn: He says they already know where Luke is.
    Han: Are you sure he knows where Luke is?
    Hux: Oh yes, it's a very nice planet, we've already been there.
    *Hux whispers to his men just off screen*
    Hux: I told them we've already found Luke.
    *Hux's men snicker*

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    You know, now that TFA is over a year and a half since release, and now that I've seen it many times since, I must say that I now strongly believe that whatever grievances I have aired previously about this installment in the saga, I am quite sure that once we see TLJ (and especially by episode IX) we will come to to see this one in a whole new light. I always love when things come full circle like that and cause you to see things in a different way. I really feel that this episode will ultimately work better as a part of a whole trilogy arc, rather than as a film on it's own – so I'm quite excited for the possibility.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope it really works the way JJ have actually said it was supposed to work - that it is the film that reminds us of the older films, easing us into the unchartered territories of TLJ and Ep IX.
    Judging by the first trailer for TLJ I'd say that might very well be true.

Lulu Mars and DARTH_BELO like this.
  10. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Set 30 years after ROTJ, TFA was supposed to be that movie that sets the ST and introduces us to a new era. Regressing back to ANH and setting TLJ right after TFA is, to me, not a good way to go forward. When you're going back, you're going back. I mean, Rian is stuck to TIEs, X-wings, identical stormtroopers, villain in black armor, underdog vs. the overdog story, stardestroyers, AT-ATs, Jedi training on some remote location...

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's the spirit.

[​IMG]

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    RJ isn't stuck with any of those things. He can blow up most of the remaining X-wings if he wants to. He can decide that Luke has waited for Rey to show up before embarking on a journey somewhere. He can have Kylo ditch the mask and begin a transition into a different kind of villain, or an antihero. He can introduce as many new vehicles and outfits as he wants to, because TFA clearly showed us mere glimpses of what the GFFA looks like thirty years after ROTJ.

11-4D, Martoto77 and TCF-1138 like this.
  13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    What?! Are they going to force me to buy a whole new line of different toys every couple of years each time they significantly change the aesthetics of the GFFA? That is just putting marketing and merchandising before storytelling. ;)

Lulu Mars likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Who do you think you're fooling? We all know you'd buy an identical line of toys just for the new packaging ;)

Martoto77 likes this.
  15. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Perhaps.

But, as of now, the Rebels Resistance use X-Wings, the FO uses one (in TFA underused) stardestroyer, TIEs from ANH and stormtroopers while the Republic and it's (I guess) entire fleet is gone. All familiar designs from 30 years ago and now, in a movie set immediately after TFA, that could all change? That's not very logical.

The point is, I find SW a very precious set of movies and to waste one entry not to, as JJ said, remind us to the older films, but to copy the first one with bits and pieces of the second and third film, is a huge missed opportunity. I have some faith to Rian, but if I find myself quoting TESB while watching TLJ... That won't be good. ;)

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Honestly they could have still drawn from the past, but completely made renditions in their own way. Rather the TIE'S be the same, make it bulkier...Maybe faster and oddly designed. I love the concept of them still trying to stick to the past. But what was done was limiting..

11-4D, Lulu Mars and Andy Wylde like this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That's the type of thing I said about it right from the start. It felt very TV which is not surprising when you consider that JJ was coming off of the Trek movies.

It's in this weird betwixt and between they created by wanting to both be and not be ANH. The past happened but it didn't. The future (and past) from the point of ANH was open. The future and past of TFA is open kinda sorta if they want it to be in a certain way but maybe not.

Now to actually be fair it's not like a huge ton of direct story happens in either TPM or ANH either.There is set-up and introduction but II and V could have gone any number of ways even though we knew as a prequel that III would contain the most direct story and character elements that set up IV-VI.

TFA does even less than either of them while at the same time more than nodding to both and taking advantage of our knowledge.

That was my "hope" from the start. TFA is the least "stand alone" of the saga movie:

So the overall feeling of the story itself I would say this. Episodes I,II,III and IV are movies that while part of a greater whole still have their own beginnings, middles and ends. They are like a book series. Each movie is a book. Episodes V and VI are almost but not quite that. They are like one book split into two parts. Now of course I am accentuating this to make a point which is this. TFA is more like V and VI. It's not a whole book in itself but more like The Lord of the Rings. One MASSIVE book split into 3 parts. Part one of the book by itself is the beginning of the book not a book in itself. The answers for so much of what is actually going on will be revealed like a mystery novel.

{Quantum/MIDI} and Lulu Mars like this.
  18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Only if it's proper, 1980's OT era nostalgic packaging.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    My perspective on TFA still won't change. The movie is far too open and has too many gaps. I don't doubt that there will be some expansion but there cannot be a whole lot from TFA. I feel that TLJ might be on the isolated side. 9 and TLJ seem to be the real kickers

20. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Dan2626, I pretty much agree with all of your 15 complaints about TFA. Although it is fairly entertaining to watch, the more I think about TFA, the more problems I have with it. My two biggest complaints are: 1. It was so derivative of the OT films and didn't move the story forward; instead, it pushed everything back to the way it was at the beginning of ANH. There was no forward movement at all. As you said, the possibilities were limitless. They could have gone in so many new and different directions. Yet, all they did was retell the story we already got in the OT, just with new characters and new names for everything.

2. The way the OT characters were handled. They were given lousy backstories and all of their accomplishments were made null and void. They were left with no legacies.

I also very much agree with your point about having no important events take place offscreen with the other Star Wars movies, but between RotJ and TFA many, many important events took place. In fact, it seems to me that those events were so important, that those events should have been the ones that we saw in this sequel trilogy.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, the backstory to TFA sounds like something I'd actually be interested in watching. A rough outline of TFA, much less so, so it's not too surprising that appreciating this movie was always going to be an uphill climb for me personally.

11-4D and ChildOfWinds like this.
  22. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    The first 30 min of TFA are pure magic. Some of the best SW I've ever seen.

Then Rey and Finn find the falcon .................. out of nowhere. Then Han Solo and Chewie find the falcon 10 seconds after Rey and Finn leave Jakku + way too much fan service.

Rickleo123 likes this.
  23. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    The opposite will happen, if TLJ is as good as people are saying it will only diminish this film even more as a very safe/pandering and lame remake of ANH that it was. JJ's trek films have pretty much died at the vine and it's no coincidence. I feel like if Rian and Trevorrow can redeem the sequel trilogy than people will complain about JJ even more.

Dave Hoffman likes this.
  24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I remember when fans thought the Falcon + LST was in Jakku for some reason but now probably there's no deep explanation for that

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it is good for 30 minutes , but then it quickly becomes apparent that there isn't any great story to be told , just copycat characters riffing on things we've seen before .
    for me this is a decent spin-off movie but really shouldn't be an Episode title , it just isn't in the same league as the other 6 for story / scope / imagination etc. .
    I say that even tho I enjoy watching TFA more than TPM , but TPM does have great vision and epic story set-up

speckledroman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.