main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    @Blastaar
    I cut myself off from leaks a good month or two leading up to the film. unfindable and Carrie Poppins leaked? Were people dismissing it as a fan fiction hoax?

Honestly, some of the fan fiction I read here was better than the anti-fan fiction that was TLJ.

2. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Heck, Rose spends more time mourning her sister and having an emotional reaction than Leia does to Luke! Just because he died with peace and purpose doesn’t mean she should t show emotion or feeling in at least proportion to Rose.

Most of the emotion in the whole thing is from Finn worrying about Rey or Rose, two people he didn’t know two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    the sunday after the LA opening, info was flying left and right. Some of it was so ridiculous that I wrote it off as fake. "Unfindable" lol wut? Some 6th grader put that out there. Psych, it was real. On these very boards, the poppins leia was discussed. Most of us wrote it off since we didn't have multiple sources. Then the "hologram luke" leak came about and I started to feel like i wanted to wake up. It was as ridiculous as any fan fiction i'd seen.

4. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    That's the main reason I watch a SW movie the Friday morning of release. I know it will be spoiled for me if I don't.

But that was then. I'm debating if I will even see Solo and Ep9 in the theaters now. It isn't just that TLJ was George Clooney Batman bad. It is that Disney/Lucasfilm not only let this horrible movie get past pre-production, but that they thought it was so good that they gave Rian his own SW trilogy.

So how can I hope for the best in SW going forward when I know the people in charge of it are so clueless? It is irrational.

5. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    I'm definitely not seeing Rian Johnson's sequel trilogy and I'm probably not going to see Ep. 9 and Solo unless they're freaking masterpieces the likes of which cinema has never seen. TLJ performed poorly overseas (RIP China market) and Solo doesn't even have a true poster out 5 months before its release, while Infinity War already has a teaser trailer. Solo's probably not going to do well, and with the box office drops from TLJ (and there were notable drops one couldn't explain away to sequelitis), Disney is going to be panicking, mark my words. Audiences, if they weren't wary after TLJ, will probably be wary after Solo. So TLJ screwed with Disney's box office as well.

I wonder how much Disney will try to interfere with Ep. 9 after all this...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I still think the news about Rian Johnson's trilogy appeared just right in time, and that was too much for a coincidence.
    I still think its just a PR move to build up an excitement for SW fans before TLJ.
    I remember after that news most people here and on reddit went fully in "Rian Johnson made a masterpiece movie" camp. Thats what Disney aimed for. Probably they new the closer to release the more confusing rumours about the movie will spawn, so they tried to control the potential damage with the news that implied the positive reaction on the movie. I also remember there were rumours about some people inside Disney having the problems with TLJ after screening. Around that time the news about RJ trilogy' came.

I mentioned in RJ thread and will repeat myself here - i bet when the dust will settle, half or year later, they will announce that RJ is leaving the position of the new trilogy director cause "the differences in the artisitc approaches". They will thank him, tell everyone they were happy to work with him, and so on, like usual. People in LF and Disney are pretty skillful in that stuff.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    If you genuinely think this film is on the level of George Clooney Batman, your ability to predict Disney's response is near impossible.

If you think Disney is going to change course because you think that the response was universally the same as yours (or even the majority) you're deludin yourself. At some point you have accept that you have a subjective opinion apparently not held by the majority, and accept that what you thought was terrible many thought was good, and that the world isn't going to revolve around your axis.

TK327 and CEB like this.
  8. Miriedis

May 23, 2015
    *Sigh* Here we go again. This is a thread to debate and criticize the film, not the viewers. If you want to go off on those who find the film to be garbage, make your own "People who don't like TLJ are lost in their own little world and they're all wrong" thread. We're happy to engage in lively debate with you about the movie in this thread; we don't all agree on what was poor in this film, and we want to talk about our differences in opinions and help each other clarify things. But we're not going to be passive-aggressive and catty with one another simply because we don't all agree. Please follow the rules almost everyone else is following here, or take your comments elsewhere.

wobbits, Ren Kylo, Hypatia and 9 others like this.
  9. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Well said.

TLJ is the Emperor's New Clothes - it is the post-structural, deconstructive, spark that milks the nessie that Jakes the Luke that bots the rotten tomatoes that cannot speak to another culture like China that is the start of the end of the original beauty and inspiration of Star Wars. That has nothing to do with subjective opinions but is what is on screen.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    So if you reread the post I was criticising, not the fact you dislike the film, but the fact that people are suggesting that the criticisms will make Disney change course. I think that is plainly delusional, and is pretending that your opinions on is more commonly held than it is. That's completely within the rules as I understand them.

Stap.

Please.

11. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    It depends on how the film will be received overtime. Perhaps you are aware that Disney had lately suffered a nasty backlash regarding EA's Battlefront II. The fact that it has impact is enough for many people with grievances with this movie to believe that Disney may listen.

Of course, Disney didn't really listen to people's concerns of giving exclusive Star Wars games rights to a company that is hated by many video gamers. Now they are paying the price.

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

Yes bcause a game which is exploiting its costumers and is therefore damaging the brand, is the same as a film that some fans didnt like. Again, know how buisnesses work, because Disney isn't really going to change much because some fans didn't like the direction of a generally well recieced and successful film.

TK327 and CEB like this.
  13. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Where was that at? You should quote the post so we know which post you are talking about.

-LordSkywalker-, 2Cleva and Miriedis like this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

The two posts above mine all suggested that Disney will not continue with RJ and will be panicking after this film and Solo.

15. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Ok. Now tell me how that means
    This seems like a look in the mirror thing. One is talking about the filmmaker, Disney. The other, you, are talking about posters here deludin and revolvin. Not to mention, it seems like you are making your own prediction into the future, so self-centered and such?

Hypatia, -LordSkywalker- and 2Cleva like this.
  16. Miriedis

May 23, 2015
    I agree. All I'm seeing are two posts that imply I (along with a large swath of the fanbase) am experiencing mental delusions for pointing out that the Solo film's promotional schedule is way behind other Disney films (such as infinity war) and, coupled with other news about troubled production, could indicate a poor film. Which could lead to Disney keeping Episode 9 on a tighter leash.

Which is again, not a criticism of a film, but a more personal attack, one that we ought not to allow on this thread.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  17. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Yeah, what he said! :p

jimkenobi likes this.
  18. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I don't know what happened because I even said @DarthPhilosopher 's posts were ok with me because he was at least addressing the film and not the posters. And I felt strange even saying that because even though it was honest, it was somewhat going against the mod's warning.

But now we are getting exactly the opposite. I don't go into the "things you love about TLJ" and post something like "the end credits" or some such stuff like that. Heck, some person posted they didn't like TLJ, but gave a list of 4 to 6 things they did like, and they were attacked.

What's with all the hate on that end?

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

I have established that I think their position is not boren out by the facts and they are suggesting their opinion is more universal than the evidence suggests, therefore of course I am criticising opinion and not Disney.

If people don't want their opinions criticised then don't post them.

I don't disagree that Solo might bomb. I'm talking about the fact that TLJ will not seen to be a problem for Disney just becausey you don't like it. The evidence suggests Disney will be happy.

20. Miriedis

May 23, 2015
    I'm not sure. I think people have a right to like this film, and can come onto this thread to discuss what they didn't like, since people can consider this a "mixed bag" of a film. I'm of the opinion that one should not wax poetic about what they liked though, but could easily preface their comment with "I liked most of TLJ, except for..."
    That seems perfectly reasonable.

21. Miriedis

May 23, 2015
    This is the one thread on this board where people are allowed to go on and on and on about their negative opinions about TLJ (within reason of course; no racism or whatnot). If you don't want to read about those wildly different opinions and what hilarious (or ridiculous) places they lead to, then why are you even here but to troll?

22. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    @DarthPhilosopher
    You do realize it is just your opinion that Disney is perfectly happy with TLJ, right?

23. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    It's possible that Bob Iger and the higher ups at Disney looked at TLJ and knew they had a turkey on their hands.

If I put on a tinfoil hat I would say they knew the movie was bad and their best chances with it was to gaslight people into thinking it was a masterpiece, Disney would exert their influence over movie critics getting them to push up the RT score and spread the news they were so happy with TLJ that Rian had been hired for a full trilogy which is something they were never intending to follow through on.

24. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    But I bet they weren't counting on the tinfoil conspiracy of the alt-right delivering a very successful internet viewer rating score being taken under 50%.

I mean when I think of somebody or something with the power to pull off a grand conspiracy, I will go with the internet troll over the nearing monopoly status corporation any day of the week. It just makes tinfoil hat sense.

Merrick Simms and jimkenobi like this.
  25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

You’ve already put your tin hat on with this nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.