main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    You can even take this one step further by making Han one of the leading members of the Resistance, which would come into conflict with Leia as Chancellor. It would actually bring Han's character into full circle as he goes from cynic to a leading member of a group fighting for a cause.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Now that would be great.

And it reminds me of where I thought they could still go in TLJ after TFA. A division between Luke and Leia over Ben.

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yoda and Obi Wan already spoke to Rey through the lightsaber in TFA.

4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    "Rey, thank the force you answered your lightsaber. Its Ben. No!!! The other Ben, Ben Kenobi. Yoda tried calling you last week and you didnt return his message. What's gives? We gotta plan next week"

I was being lighthearted. Thats still allowed around here, right?

5. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Interesting that Luke's "inspirational" moment is essentially Luke playing the role of the Emperor trolling Ben.

Kylo: Did you come back to say you forgive me? To save my soul?
    Luke: No
    FAKE FIGHT!!
    Luke: I failed you Ben. I'm sorry.
    Kylo: I'm sure you are. The Resistance is dead. The war is over. And when I kill you, I will have killed the last Jedi.
    Luke: Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi.
    Kylo: I'll destroy her. And you. And all of it.
    Luke: No. Strike me down in anger and I'll always be with you. Just like your father.
    Kylo: No.
    Luke: See ya 'round kid.
    Kylo: Nooooooooooo!!!!

So there's Kylo's big Noooooooooooo!!!!!! like his godfather. The Emperor trolled Vader into that No moment. The Emperor trolled Luke in an effort to anger him toward the path to the dark side.

And now we have Luke for some reason acting like the Emperor. Right down to tempting him to strike him down.

Think about this. Luke was supposedly distraught at the way he handled Ben's possible turn to the Dark Side in the peeping Tom tent scene. He hasn't spoken with Ben since. He supposedly wishes he could take back what he did realizing he just scared a scared "little boy" over to the Dark Side.

Here's Luke's big moment. As somebody that actually is the root of much of Ben's anger, he has the power to release it. Instead, he trolls him a la the Emperor.

And don't forget. The supposed theme of this movie is learning from your failure.

6. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    I was thinking about something along these lines: If your biological father participated in an act of planetary genocide, killing your adoptive parents and the vast majority of everyone you ever knew, and you found out that one of the guys you were romantically interested in was your brother - after you made out with him at least once...

Anyone else think that Leia could have easily been cast as a bad mother? I have to think she'd have some real hangups after all that. It'd be quite the subversion: imagine Han is out there, searching the galaxy high and low for Ben, while Leia has completely retreated into the comfortable world of politics and military affairs.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  7. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Well, the problem I have with that is that none of those things are related to Leia's ability as a mother. The ST gave us nothing on Leia the mother.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Reading the last couple pages of what could have been for the stories the OT characters, yeah I agree. They completely butchered the Luke and Han thing. You can point fingers at everyone, but at least you could have had Luke reflect about the passing of Han, something to connect the audience with. It would have worked, having Luke regret things even more that because of him he lost his best friend. That he didn’t get to see him one last time.

But as MH has continued to say in interviews, it isn’t his or the OT characters stories. They pretty much had Han and Leia retread so the new guys can take over, and pushed Luke a step back so Rey can take his legacy.

As much as I have enjoyed the reunions in this ST, feel like all three deserved better. We will see what happens in 9.

I get they want the new characters to have more screen time and spotlight but there was deff more they could have filmed for Leia and even Luke in TLJ and trimming down Canto Bight, even Before Carrie passed. All three OT characters actors have been excellent and was looking for a great performance from Carrie in 9. It’s just they weren’t really given too much to work with as far as their characters go imo.

9. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Part of me is like "Wow, that is so me" and the other part is "ugh, this is just what people think we look/sound like". And the third part of me just nudges TLJ off the map and puts Rogue One in its place

(credit to Tumblr)

2Cleva, jimtalkbox, Ren Kylo and 6 others like this.
  10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I guess Rian didn't think that seeing a character's reaction to his best friend's death -- that he's known for roughly three decades -- was as important as a scene in which we see Rey snap her fingers for what seems like an entire minute. Boom! Expectations subverted. If you didn't like it, it's because of your headcanon. May as well have removed the opening crawl, since it would subvert expectations.

11. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't know, we mine story after story, as a civilization, out of people being poor parents because their own parents never said "I love you." Its a trope. We got nothing on Leia.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah, we simply view the whole situation differently.

We start the film with the clear good and evil.

DJ introduces the idea that both sides buy weapons, therefore making the cycle perpetual. No side wins, both just continue to kill each other. Therefore he draws a moral equivalence between the two - or perhaps draws no moral standing. Either way, don't join is his message.

Finn resolves that by standing away from the conflict and not choosing sides, you're only as good as the worst side, therefore joining is imperative.

It's basically calling out nuetrals as no better than the bad guys.

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Let it sink in that apparently it was more important to see Rose, before she even speaks, cry and mourn Paige, a character we'd only seen for maybe three minutes and without any lines, instead of seeing Luke mourn Han. That is the Last Jedi in a nutshell.

14. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm completely fine with movies having the occasional plot twist, but when a movie attempts to subvert expectations to the point to where the plot stops following all sense of in-universe logic, it loses me.

The prime example in TLJ is Leia's survival. The vacuum of space has always been presented as a real threat to all characters (even Force-users) in Star Wars. In Episode III, when Grievous destroys his ship's bridge window, Anakin and Obi-Wan do all they can to close the window's air locks. In TCW, the only reason Plo Koon could survive in space was only because his species could. Therefore, the only logical follow-up to Leia being jettisoned into space would, unfortunately be death. Whenever a character that's only Force potential shown so far has been sensing the presence of others uses a Force power beyond anything we've seen before, it's not "cool" or "breaking new ground." It just doesn't make any sense.

As I said, plot twists are great and all and help keep a story fresh. But I'd also say that if you know or can at least guess as to what might happen next, the plot is logical. When something that you might not even consider happens because it's never been established as a thing in the universe before, it just catches you off guard.

15. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Didn't realize I hated this about the movie but:
    - Neutrals are no better than the bad guys

This movie is getting worse by the minute.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Maybe equivalent is too strong a language.

If a fasicst street gang is bashing Jewish families and you don't do anything to help, or in the case of war support the right side, then you are morally culpable

17. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Support the right side in a war? That's about as subjective as you can get.

What if a street gang was just bashing families? Do you now get a pass to be neutral?

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It shouldnt be subjective in the type of war we see here. In other wars, perhaps, in which case not supporting either side is the morally correct option.

Obviously not. Bashing people is lawless and wrong.

19. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    So do you pick up a club and go beat the street gang?

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

No, you defend the people they are beating for God's sake. Do you just walk away from people being attacked?

21. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Thinking about Luke mourning Han more. I feel like Luke going to the falcon, grabbing the dice was pretty much him mourning, despite being brief.

Idk if Luke was really going to talk to Rey about Han, but it would have been nice to see him bring up some cool things about Han instead of nothing in remembrance.

Would have been cool to see Han show up as a ghost. People would have been wtf and legit saying “that’s not how the force works,” but I really is the only way him and Luke would interact now. I guess it’s not important anymore but just let it sink in that Mark and Harrison haven’t shared a scene in anything since 1983.

It’s really the same thing with Ackbar. Instead of remembering those who we cherish and just lost it is “let the past die” and shift us to try and cherish/feel bad for Rose and Holdo instead.

22. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    How do you defend them? It sounds like you would send your bombers.

23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Various ways. Call the authorities, put yourself between them and their attackers or try and talk them down. What's important is that you take proactive steps.

24. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    So the theme of the movie was Poe was right in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Great arc.

25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Don't tell anyone your plan, get in your x-wing and blow something up = Poe bad
    Don't tell anyone your plan, stay in your rebel ship and blow something up = Holdo good

Movie is so confusing. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.