main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official "LOTR : The Return of The King" Thread...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_Imran, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    This coming from the guy who thought that S_f was being sincere when she said that Anakins father was Turbo man! ****.

You obviously didn't understand the intention of that post. Ever heard of "Sarcasm"? ?[face_plain]

Maybe not. Oh well.

And in the future, why not try to take me down with points that can discussed and argued for or against instead of calling me a "****" or any other childish names?

Regarding the films: So now you're saying that you did watch them, but you also fell asleep, and didn't understand the facts that I was referring to, but watched the films since that's all you needed to do in order to understand the facts? Well, that makes a lot of sense doesn't it...

Besides, we were referring to points in the films that you never managed to grasp. We're not talking about the films being boring, or brilliant, or whatever. If you find these films boring and admit falling asleep (or whatever you're trying to say) then why say that you never managed to understand something? ?[face_plain] I mean, what do you expect if you fall asleep during the film? [face_laugh]

2. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

G_Lucas_8_my_turkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
  3. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    I could have called you alot worse- and actually meant it. You seem to fail to notice that people call people here by names knowing its not malicious but banter- ask that knob Hal! If I had called you a '******* ****!' then you might have reason to get watery eyed. Plus one could make the comment that yer previous remarks were a tad patronising!

So what, you couldn't hack it? Couldn't you discuss? Talk? Was what I was saying too much for you?

But if you cant play ball like most here do then maybe we shouldnt exchange dialogue!

[face_laugh] And you call my explanation a get out clause? That is what I call a "get out" clause.

Oh, and for the record, I can play ball. If you want to play, stop digging with stupid remarks and let's play ball. Unless of course, you have a problem with discussing ROTK on a ROTK thread?

And regarding the films- I did understand them- i understood them probably before you were a sperm in yer dads loin-

Really? I wonder why you don't seem to understand them anymore...especially considering the fact that the films came out 3 years ago, and I was born well before that release.

?[face_plain]

4. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

G_Lucas_8_my_turkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/banland.jpg]

5. Sebulba_Sloan

Sebulba_Sloan RSA Alumni star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 2002
    For the love of God... banned.

6. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    A great film if you haven't read the book. The problem I had with it that there were too many missing elements. Yes, I understand the reasons for cutting some scenes and characters but for me the movie lost some of its magic because of time restraints and need for fluid visual storytelling.

7. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Whoa, ROTK makes people angry - I don't want to see it now!! :p

8. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    So.... Does the Witch king look like the Green Goblin or not? [face_plain] [face_laugh]

9. TK_69

TK_69 Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2003
    look at my new sock, isn't it cool? :p

10. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Riff-Raff!!!! :p

11. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    I can see where you're coming from loonz

hey did any of you notice that the two bottom bits of The Witch King's helmet were constantly getting closer and further away depending on the shot?

12. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    I'm sure GL's pissin' his pants with worry after watching ROTK and then looking at his own, rather sad efforts with the making of the PT! Will Ep. III be able to compete with ROTK in terms of quality? I very much doubt it. ROTK was an adult movie, whereas the PT only seems to be made for babies.

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    I'm sure Lucas couldn't give a **** about Jackson's LOTR - IMO (like many millions) Star Wars PT and OT >> LOTR.

Don't get me wrong I really like LOTR.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    ROTK was an adult movie

I always thought Lord of the Rings sounded like an adult movie :D

Anyway, I'll gladly let history be the judge of which set of films is remembered more

15. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    I always thought Lord of the Rings sounded like an adult movie

It is isn't it!! :p

16. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    With FOTR and TTT I felt that they were more or less for everyone. But when I started to see severed heads being catapulted over battlements and landing by people's feet in ROTK, I knew I was watching something that wasn't really suitable for anyone under 15 years old.

17. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Ah ZM you forget the Original Trilogy

18. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    ANH = Fantastic

ESB = Ultra Fantastic

ROTJ = The Muppets in Space

But I have to say that on seeing ROTK, I realised how dated ANH and even ESB looks in comparison. Now if GL brought the films right up to date, rather than doing annoying tinkering that does nothing but ruin the movies, I feel that both ANH and ESB could once more compete with ROTK.

As I've said on previous threads, if the Star Wars films had continued on the same vein as ESB (dark and dramatic), then we would have had an equal to what I saw at the cinema last night (aka ROTK). But unfortunately GL wanted Sesame Street instead. ROTK, on the other hand, had everything I always envisioned for Ep.VII, VIII & IX, only in a sword & sorcery realm rather than in a gallaxy far, far away.

Hail my new No. 1 movie in 24 years...ROTK. :)

19. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I have to admit i wasn't very happy about some of the changes that jackson made in these films.

Over all fantastic, if you never read the books nigh on unbeatable, but as a fan of the books i really hated:

- Missing tom bombadill.(sp?) and then re-hashing his charactor into tree beard in TTT-EE.

- Faramir falling into temptation and taking frodo and the ring to gondor, even if he did change his mind in the end.

- Éowyn and merry kicking nazgul behind, but then being fine afterwards and joining in the final battle at the gates of Mordor.

- Shamelessly makeing up extra liv tylor scenes into the film for a bit of totty.

- Just happening to find the palantir rather than having it thrown at them.

- Re-writing the end of the film to make it shorter. That ending was great, not only did it show how inescapeable the enemy's evil was, it also showed how much the hobbits had grown as people by defeating it all on their own.

I could go on all day, but these are probably my main gripes, other than them and a few other small ones, still an entertaining film to watch.

20. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    No, it wasn't the books. And no, the films needn't have been changed as much as they were. But as films in their own right they were pretty darned good, especially ROTK.

21. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    What now worries me about ROTK is when I went to see TTT at the cinema I heard all these amazing reports about it (for example I saw an article in the Daily Mail titled "Is this the Greatest film ever?"), and when I went to the cinema I liked it but felt a bit let-down, my expectations were to high. I must admit I still think FOTR is a better film than TTT.

22. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    You know something, MacDaddy? I went to ROTK with VERY low expectations of the movie. On Monday when I went into the cinema I thought it was just going to be some more battles, just on a larger scale. But it was a lot more then that. Even though the battles were actually mind blowing to the point that they made my eyes water, the film also depicted old fashioned King Arthur style chivalry and heroism. The warfare never once came across as being mindless violence, but rather true to life medieval battles just like those seen in films like Spartacus or El Cid, only on a much more massive scale!

23. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    ..except Legolas sliding down the elephant thing's trunk of course [face_plain]

but seriously, I didn't really like TTT much but ROTK is a lot better, possibly the best of the three.

24. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    I hope you guys are right :)

25. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Yes, the Legolas scene was somewhat slick and gimmicky. Only done for the little teenage girls in the audience, it was. [face_plain] But that was the only corny superficial bit, and those few seconds weren't nearly enough to let the rest of the film down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.