The *Official* Love Story Thread [v2.0]

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by RidingMyCarousel, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    This thread is a recontinuation of the Official Love Story Thread. The old one peaked out over 5k posts, so the time for a new one to be born came.

From the original post of the previous love story thread:
    This thread here, friends and neighbors is for discussing the love story in AOTC. Did it make all weepy and teary inside? Or did you sit and groan, counting down to the next action scene? Give us your thoughts, which will be preserved forevermore.
    So, come and discuss the love story between Anakin and Padme from Attack of the Clones (again). :)
  2. bjbrickm Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hurries to be the first...

I saw AOTC earlier today in the theater (spur of the moment decision)

I'm wondering for those that like/love/tolerate the "love scenes", which is your favorite of the three?

Meadow scene

Dinner scene

Fireplace scene

I love them all but I rank them in this order: 1) Meadow, 2) Fireplace, 3) Dinner

Edit: Elaboration

A) The meadow scene is beautiful and makes for the second most beautiful SW locale IMHO, the first being Otah Gunga.
    B) Natalie portrays Padme in a great light here. It's not that Natalie is a bad actor by any means IMHO, it's just often Padme has to be protrayed as serious and Queen-like or Senator-like, heroine of the Republic and all that. Here in the meadow scene she really gets to let loose. And it shows.

Her tone of voice, her smile, her body language, the way she archs her eyebrow when Anakin flirts with her, the way she narrows her eyes when Anakin hints at dictatorships - all of this is well done. I am a 21 year old male so I won't deny I don't find Natalie attractive. But it's not like I'm an obsessed teen or anything like that. And I won't confuse good looks for good acting. But I must say that Padme is most beautiful in the PT in this scene so far. (With the wedding being second.)

C) And I think this scene hits a personal note for me. I'm a sucker for brown eyes and in this scene in a lot of ways, Padme reminds me of a former girlfriend of mine who has passed away. We had good times together. Not literally rolling in the grass and laughing but we might as well have. So I guess that's one reason why I like this scene so much. I just wish she could have been here to see this scene with me.

Lastly, the scene ends on a great note. I love Anakin's laugh when Padme comes over to check him out. I always smile. Even as the transition occurs to the next scene I keep smiling. That Kaminoan whale creature bursting out of the waves is like the suppressed romance reaching the surface with a bang. And maybe Freudian undertones occur during this transition, if you tend to believe in that sort of thing.

Well that's why I like the Meadow scene the most.

Fireplace scene:
    I like how the camera comes in from behind Anakin and pushes in on the couple. It's like Anakin pushing in on Padme's space. Which he is.

Is it an uncomfortable scene? Yes. But it is well done. Best line from it is "You are asking me to be rational, that is something I cannot do." Spot on. Love often conflicts with rationale. You have to settle the two before real love can occur IMHO. I suspect that will never happen with Padme and Anakin and that is the tragic part about it.

Second best line, "If you follow you thoughts through to conclusion they will take us to a place we cannot go."

Dinner scene: I love the way the camera rotates around the two. The whole forbidden fruit idea is great.

And oh yes the first kiss. Nice scene. I like how Padme pulls away and the music stops, as well as Anakin's confused face. Priceless.

I like how he gulps too when delivering his "sand" line. :D

And really quick - the Love Pledge at the Arena is great too. I love how they are carted out and all the Geonosians cheer - but for the wrong reasons.
  3. anidanami124 Jedi Master

star 6
    1st and last post. I like all three in no order.

4. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    The meadow scene was my favorite :)
    It showed how playful the two lovers could be, and it showed a side of Anakin and Padme that we hadn't seen before - a not-so-serious side. It lightened the film up; easened the mood. And of course, I really enjoyed seeing an innocent, childish side to Anakin like we'd witnessed in the pod race sequence in The Phantom Menace. :)
  5. The_Abstract Jedi Master

star 4
    I dedicate a poem to the opening of this new Love Story Thread, taken from the pen of the great troubadour Guiraut de Borneilh.

So, through the eyes love attains the heart:
    For the eyes are the scouts of the heart,
    And the eyes go reconnoitering
    For what it would please the heart to possess.
    And when they are in full accord
    And firm, all three, in the one resolve,
    At that time, perfect love is born
    From what the eyes have made welcome to the heart.
    Not otherwise can love either be born or have commencement
    Than by this birth and commencement moved by inclination.

By the grace and by command
    Of these three, and from their pleasure,
    Love is born, who with fair hope
    Goes comforting her friends.
    For as all true lovers
    Know, love is perfect kindness,
    Which is born-there is no doubt-from the heart and the eyes.
    The eyes make it blossom; the heart matures it:
    Love, which is the fruit of their seed.

Now, who can tell me how this relates to the Love Story in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones?

[face_love] [face_love]

6. DarthBreezy Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hmmm.. to be honest, I think you should add "first Kiss" to that list... It's always given me the "mushy tummies"...

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

(Thank you RMC!!!)
  7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    RidingMyCaroselOnYou,

If this is a reconstruction of the old love story thread, does it have the same rules, as in allowing opposing viewpoints?

The defenders of the love story have their own thread in the Star Wars misc. forum, where they can post how wonderful the love story was. People who question the love story need a place to post, too.

Lady Sami
  8. anidanami124 Jedi Master

star 6
    Maybe this one won't be that bad. I hope.

P.S. defenders let's not leave our thread just because there is a new Love Story thread.
  9. Arriss Jedi Master

star 4
    A hearty welcome to the new LS thread! You've been missed.
  10. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi:
    Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but everyone *must* play nice (this is to both sides). Criticism to the love story is welcome but nothing else.

And if this turns into a back and forth war, I won't let this discussion continue.

So, in other words, discussion is allowed, yes, and so is stating your viewpoint. If you're going to state something, though, make sure it is backed up.
  11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    RidingMyCaroselOnYou,

That's fine with me, however, the ones who play nasty are the ones who post on the defenders' thread.

Lady Sami
  12. anidanami124 Jedi Master

star 6
    Ok please Defenders lets not stop posting on our thread just because there's a new Love story thread.

I like our thread and I don't want it locked or to go of the 1st page ever.
  13. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    I don't want anyone going back and forth saying someone will do something. I don't know you guys that well, so you've all got a fresh start in my book. And please keep all non-topic discussion to PMs.

Now, back to the love story, bjbrick posted:
    I'm wondering for those that like/love/tolerate the "love scenes", which is your favorite of the three?

Meadow scene

Dinner scene

Fireplace scene

Let's continue discussion from there. :)
  14. DimensionX Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that the love scenes in Attack of the Clones were bland. Like, the fireplace set, I know it was supposed to be a love scene, but at times, I think its a "Pour your bad emotions" scene.
  15. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    DimensionX : you also have to understand that Anakin had never had a relationship before. When we're all growing up and have our first girlfriend or boyfriend, we don't know how to express ourselves. Sure, Anakin may have sounded cheesy, but I'd say most people do when they first pour out their emotions to someone. :)
  16. jedi-ES Jedi Padawan

star 4
    RMC

Plus, very few people have the guts to express their true feelings to the person that they love. Maybe the fireplace scene is a bit uncomfortable because most of us wouldn't have the guts to say what Anakin says.
  17. bjbrickm Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Well this filled up fast :). Check my edits on the first reply. I've got more to say.

(Yes I know, I just want to hog the top.) :p
  18. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    bjbrickm wrote:

Is it an uncomfortable scene? Yes. But it is well done. Best line from it is "You are asking me to be rational, that is something I cannot do." Spot on. Love often conflicts with rationale. You have to settle the two before real love can occur IMHO. I suspect that will never happen with Padme and Anakin and that is the tragic part about it.

I see it that way, too, that real love can never be between these two. There will be no "riding off into the sunset of happily ever after" for this couple.

The dinner scene was a little iffy for me. I have to reserve judgment on that until after I see AoTC at the IMAX. I just hope they didn't cut this scene out.

Lady Sami

19. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    I see it that way, too, that real love can never be between these two. There will be no "riding off into the sunset of happily ever after" for this couple.

I wouldn't say that yet (2.5 more years to go ;)).
    We haven't seen Episode III, so we don't know anything about the future of Anakin and Padme yet. If you want to discuss the future of these two, feel free to take it to an Episode III board, but this thread is about the love story in Attack of the Clones.
  20. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight

star 5
    Have not stepped inside the old place for a long time. No one knows me. :p

Plus, very few people have the guts to express their true feelings to the person that they love. Maybe the fireplace scene is a bit uncomfortable because most of us wouldn't have the guts to say what Anakin says.

Absolutely. It's supposed to be uncomfortable. This is a confession, not made easy by both atmosphere and circumstance.

The_Abstract, lovely poem, the last stanza particularly poignant.
  21. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    Absolutely. It's supposed to be uncomfortable. This is a confession, not made easy by both atmosphere and circumstance.
    -- The fireplace scene did seem uncomfortable. I gott he idea that Lucas was trying to show how uncomfortable both Anakin and Padme were with their feelings because of the time they'd grown up in and because of their responsibilities. Well, that's what I felt anyways. :)
  22. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight

star 5
    Yep. And these passionate words are coming from a man whose lived a monk-like existence for the last ten years, bound by duty as his heart strays from his given path.

We're not supposed to feel gushy when we watch them together. It would defeat the purpose.
  23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    RMC,

No episode 3 spoilers here, just what's already known from the OT.

I think the love story is uncomfortable on purpose, too.

But there's awkward, and then there's uncomfortable. These love scenes are more than just awkwardness between two people who have never experienced love or dating before.

Lady Sami
  24. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master

star 6
    But there's awkward, and then there's uncomfortable. These love scenes are more than just awkwardness between two people who have never experienced love or dating before.
    -- Well, here's my stance about it : Some scenes may have made Anakin seem a bit on edge when it came to Padme. He thought about her every day since they'd last parted or so he said. In that scene, I felt Anakin was trying to kiss Padme again to see if she loved him or not.. testing what had happened earlier. He was just wanting to see if there was something between the two. Yes, he may have seemed a bit creepy in doing so, but he hadn't ever been in love before. And the fact that he hasn't been shown love in the romantical sense in his life, he had no idea how to approach Padme. But he wanted an answer... and he recieved it when Padme backed away and spoke.

And about what we know from the OT.. all we know is Padme died when Leia was young and that Anakin turns into Vader. We have no idea how they split. It may not have failed.. Padme may not even know that Anakin is Vader. Let's not assume things here. Nothing is set in stone save the fact that they aren't together. I wouldn't say that a relationship fails because someone dies... although it does end it ;)
  25. DarthBreezy Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I agree.. my FIRST viewing of the LS made me squirm.. I remember being young and beaten over the head in love... all the things I thought I could say to him that sounded SOOOOOOO cool in theory...
    :p ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.