main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Love Story Thread [v2.0]

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by RidingMyCarousel, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I wasn't surprised by the love pledge, mostly because I was spoiled rotten befor watching the film [face_devil]

I am kinda glad Lucas took out the line "My love for you is a puzzle, Ani, for which I have no answers." It would have taken away from the purity of the moment. I do love Anakin's shocked expression when he hears Padme say "I love you."

Someone pointed out in another thread that their entrance into the arena was very Joseph Campbell-ish. The shape of the door they are carred through, and how they metaphorically go from a "place" of love to a "place" of terror and mayhem, inside the arena. Wow, AOTC does have some mytholigical aspects to it!! ;)

Another favorite little moment of mine is when Padme kisses Anakin after jumping onto the Reek. It just made me smile :) My now ex-girlfriend asked me how Padme could have jumped from that tall tower onto the Reek without hurting herself. My answer was naturally "Anakin used the Force to cushion her fall." :D

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    "My love for you is a puzzle, Ani, for which I have no answers."

I liked this line. Sometimes you just love someone but you don't know why. You just do.

3. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    For me it was the "I truly, deeply love you" line. Who wouldn't fall apart after hearing something as beautiful as that.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, I KNEW that evetually she would say it... so Shocked isn't the right word... the look on Anakin's face.... Oh Sweet......... If HC really wasn't in love than he's a damn good actor.. it broke my heart.........

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I was shocked because I wasn't expecting Padme to say it unless Anakin was hurt. I wasn't expecting it so soon.

6. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    I wasn't shocked (& I was completely spoiler free!! :D ) she felt they were really at the end - there was no way out except death. She just couldn't contain it any longer and wanted to let him know unequivocally what was in her heart.

7. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
  8. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Meadow scene: Was my favorite scene in the Love story, actually of the ones mentioned it's the only one I thought was well done. Natalie and Hayden both acted well and it's the only time I felt that Natalie succeeded in showing that Padme was attracted to Anakin both physically and mentally. They seemed like two young people delighting in the fact they are spending time together and exploring the possibilities. They both seemed to be liking what they see and feel. Very joyful. I loved it.

Dinner scene: Alright. Nothing special one way or the other. As I remember the acting was good.

Fireplace scene: Not good. Actually this was the one scene that I thought Natalie acted better than Hayden. Of course she doesn't say much, but her body language and eyes tell how uncomfortable she is by his advances. Hayden unfortunately seemed to try to hard to make the bad dialogue believable. His tone and speaking style really bothered me in this scene. I saw the movie 5 times, and this is where I always got up to go to the bathroom. Very very uncomfortable.

9. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    The fireplace scene is one of the most intense in the film... To me, that is where you really first see shades of whom Anakin will become (NOT NOT NOT in any creepy controlling aspect but in the QUIET INTENSITY that Anakin has there.)

Dark and brooooooooooooooding and deliberate... his emphasis on his breathing... every word... every phrase... Is carefully stated....

*purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

10. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Well I have to disagree, I thought it was creepy. I didn't think his tone and breathing was reminiscent or prescient of DV in the least, if that's what you are getting at.

IMO DV is very eloquent and has very smooth speech patterns, where as Anakin seems to have a problem getting his words out. He struggles expressing himself. I'm sure this is because he's confused and overwhelmed by his feelings, however, it doesn't remind me in the least of DV.

I think George wants him to be creepy. I think seeing DV trying to romance a girl would creep me out.

What made the scene so uncomfortable, was the dialogue and Anakin's manner, it's as if he's trying desperatly to control himself. (Perhaps I was wrong about his acting, I'm just not sure what George's intent was with this scene so it's hard to judge how well Hayden did).

11. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    It is more A young man telling the girl he likes hwo he feels and not knowing how to. That's why I like it.

12. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    I can see why you would, but you must admit it's a dark scene with dark undertones. I think the atmosphere is set to demonstrate Anakin's burning desire under the surface. He's barely holding himself back and I think Padme seems fearful of him. That was my impression anyway.

I am really looking forward to re-watching that scene in order to understand better why I was so uncomfortable with it. I think it's because you go from two bright scenes where they seem happy and comfortable with each other to this scene that has dark sexual undertones where Padme seems desperate to get away.

Definitly not your typical Star Wars Love Scene (which I admit there arent many of).

13. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But if you watch where Padme say's They can't because he is training to be a Jedi she is a Senator.

What she was real saying was. "No I'm not going to let you give up your dream of begin a Jedi I don't care how much you love me. *Or how much I love you.*

She also knew that she would have to break hsi heart. Which she real did not want to do because she loves him.

14. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    I agree with that. She does love him and doesn't want to hurt him. However, I think his intensity is intimidating and overwhelming her. She is a senator and is not used to having someone so focused on her as a woman. I think he exudes intense desire in that scene and frightens her.

I think she sees first hand what Anakin's primary problem is, that he is overly emotional and feels things deeper and more intensely than most people. It's like his gear shift is stuck in 3rd all the time there is no moderation in anything he does or feels.

15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    HOLY ****
    Obi-can and I AGREE on something!! His INTENSITY probably DOES scare the **** out of her... (DB understands this from personal experiance, and the allagory of being stuck in 3rd gear all the time is very appropriate... )

But where I disagree with you...

I think it's because you go from two bright scenes where they seem happy and comfortable with each other to this scene that has dark sexual undertones where Padme seems desperate to get away.

Go from being silly and child-like in the meadow where she teases him about her first (either Love or kiss) to her wearing a dress that screams "LOOK AT MY BODY". As far as "Desperate to get away"... that's why she leans into him, her body language screams KISS ME AGAIN YOU FOOL! and when she finds her resolve weaking she turns it into a question of logic as apposed to feelings. Bits that were clipped (a kiss in the meadow and the line "Jedi aren't allowed to Marry" from this scene support this)* as well as Padme's left IN line of "Regardless about how we feel" and Anakin's "Then you do feel something!" are a far cry from implying that she may feel threatened or want to get away.

*I include the trimmed lines as I feel they hold just as much, if not far more validity than the 'annoted screen plays' that are often thrown into these disscusions.

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    As I said before, I have to watch these scenes again before I decide which way to view them. Again, my opinion is that she was afraid to get more involved, regardless of her feelings. She didn't want to ruin both their futures.

He backed off, not reading her body language, partly because he was too inexperienced to know what to look for and because I think he turned away too quickly. And she just let it go, instead of saying anything else.

Lady Sami

17. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But in the end she gives in.

18. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    DB,

I don't remember her leaning into him, I remember her scooting away from him. He leans into her and she keeps backing away. Like I said I'll have to re-watch that part.

As far as the left in comments, are you saying this was in the movie or is now in the DVD? I confess I do not have all the dialogue memorized. However as I commented to Ani, I think she does love him and doesn't want to break his heart though she also doesn't want to pursue a relationship with him.

Having feelings for someone doesn't preclude the fact that that person can scare and intimidate you. As many have stated previously new love is very intense and if one isn't as sure as the other the unsure one can feel over whelmed by an over enthusiastic lover.

HOLY ****
    Obi-can and I AGREE on something!! His INTENSITY probably DOES scare the **** out of her... (DB understands this from personal experiance, and the allagory of being stuck in 3rd gear all the time is very appropriate... )

Miracles do happen ;)

19. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    (Oh for the DVD!!!)
    At the beginning of their conversation, I remember it appearing like she was leaning into him almost ready to kiss him. (Not from the opening of the scene but from the hacked up start of their conversation)

I don't know if they're in the DVD or not.. its what I remember from drooling over the Art of AOTC book...

Sadly, that particular scene was edited so heavy handedly it looses a lot for those who are uncomfortable with the whole love story in the first place. For those of us who (admitedly, just as vigorously as the LS haters bash it) defend it, we will see the scene as 'poor lost Ani' pouring his heart out with the grace of a loose cannon... for those who dislike it, it comes across as heavy handed and over bearing on Anakin's part....

Edit
    Look RMCOY! No FLAMES! Aren't you proud of us all!!!
    :p

20. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    But you see she does. She just knows there are to many things in there way. She's more afeard of the fact that if there love was found out. It would be the end of Anakin begin a Jedi and there love for each other.

21. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    DB,

I dont really feel like a Love Story basher, I admit I was disappointed with how George presented it. There really is no good reason for it not to have been done better. The actors are talented, George is a great writer and it's Star Wars.

However, I also think that the Love Story is the whole reason for the PT to have been produced. Being an avid OT fan, I wanted to see Darth Vader's history and his tragic love story. I remember hearing Obi-Wan speak of Anakin being a good friend and great star pilot and talking about Padme and then realizing that Anakin was DV was like an ephiphany. I had to know what happened to make Anakin turn into DV. I also admit thinking that it must be Obi-Wan's fault in some way. I wasnt that big of an Obi-Wan fan back then.

So most of my criticism is in the execution of telling the Love Story. I also see it as being much darker than most. I don't think it's a fairy tale romance, I see it as being very dark and ominous throughout.

Just different takes on the same story.

22. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Is this the right thread looks around. I see people who seems to be agree.

It looks like we may have hit the middle ground.

23. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Well Quick Ani, do something. It might start being a trend or something if we're not careful. :D

24. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    No I like that. because we know where we are coming form. It will making talking about this easer then before.

25. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I think it boils down to the fact that we are also missing a BIG piece of the puzzle (ie E-3)... GL has said that E-3 will be "a more personal" film... Hopefully that will mean a deeper exploration of Ani's and Padme's love, even if it's through character's reflections (Ie, Obi-wan's 'good freind' remarks in e-4... up until this point we've just assumed...)

I want to believe that she will love him to her bitter end... E-2 has set it up for the most part but we are still hanging here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.