main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Love Story Thread [v2.0]

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by RidingMyCarousel, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    royalguard: Thanks for taking the time to post all that. You rock. :)

2. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2002
    I thank you too, royalguard96. :)

"A lot of guys were going to see this movie, and most guys think that flowery, poetic talk is stupid - 'Come on, give me a break.' More sophisticated, cynical types also don't buy that stuff. So I don't know if people would laugh at it and throw things at the screen, or if they would accept it."

It's interesting to read GL's take on the romance dialogue. I must not be very sophisticated nor cynical because I loved all that flowery, poetic talk. LOL

At first I thought it was odd because I was just not used to hearing people talk that way in movies these days, but after multiple viewing of AOTC, I grew to love the dialogue more and more. There's a timeless quality to it, and it perfectly suits the era of the Old Republic, which I envision as a more "civilized" and elegant age in contrast to the time of the Empire and Rebellion.

The funny thing is I only heard groans about the dialogue during my first 2 viewings in which the audience were mostly hard-core fans (and the groans were mostly from a few guys). My subsequent viewings had a more general moviegoing audience that didn't seem to mind the dialogue too much. The only remark I heard was some lady saying "It's getting hot in here" while watching the fireplace scene. LOL

3. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Even most people that love the movie, cringe at that scene.

Count me among those who don't!

I'll tell you from first-hand experience that men trying to express their feelings to women is almost the hardest thing in the world to do.

That's why we have to resort to rock power ballads and Marvin Gaye. :D

So, in this instance I totally applaud George for laying the syrup on nice and thick in this movie.

Everthing is so underplayed in that scene to-Anakin speaks very softly, and Padme is looking for the exit the whole time (and not for those reasons). The fact that she serves up a big pot of rejection at the end makes it more realistic than 90% of the other crap out there.

And this is the scene where we see Anakin STOP pursuing Padme. From here until the Love Confession scene, he is an honorable gentleman to her. There's no "leering" or other such nonsense. I wouldn't even be strong enough to resist sneaking a peek now and then. ;)

4. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    How come we get it and so many others don't? *sigh*

5. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Because as George said himself it's corny and real people don't talk like that. They may fall over words and stutter, but the flowery dialogue was cr**. The dialogue and acting were much better in the meadow scene where it's more natural. It's too bad George couldn't get the rest of the Love Story dialogue right like in that one.

I thought the flowery words were out of place and delivered badly. Anakin never speaks like that anywhere else in the movie just in those scenes, that's why it sounded so fake. All the sudden you have this angry kick ass Jedi speaking like a prepubescent boy trying to deliver Shakespearean lines. I suppose I'm the too sophisticated, cynical fanboy type or else I'm better able to recognize bad dialogue when I hear it even if it's a Star Wars movie. ;)

Also think it's interesting that George covers his bases in case it bombs. Ok the fanboys wont like, and sophisticated viewers won't like it and cynics won't like it (code word for critics), who does that leave? Ah the kids and teenagers, who probably won't know good dialogue versus bad dialogue anyway since they think the dialogue in Dragon Ball Z and American Pie is top notch. I know it's a kids movie but so is Spider Man and Shrek, both of which manage to have believable love scene dialogue. And No, those movies were no where near as good as AOTC, but IMO the Love Story dialogue was bad. I hope with all my heart that in Ep III he doesn't repeat this style. I liked the style he used in the meadow scene much better.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

Darth Breezy
    takes a BIGGGGGGGGGG swig of beer....

Edit

I disagree with Obi-can 100%....

/Edit

:p

7. AnakinSlave

Jan 16, 2002
    Pompous, pompous, pompous . . .

8. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2002
    LOL! DB, I think I need some beer too. First, let me check my driver's license to check if I'm of age. Yup, my date of birth is exactly as I remembered. I'm definitely not a kid or teenager anymore. I guess this means you don't have to be a kid or teen to enjoy the love story dialogue. LOL

9. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I think the love story was awsome, i had no problems with it. What really ticks me off is that Other ppl hate it. they're blind. obviously, they probably never really falling in love before. But hey. g2g.

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    1st thing's 1st Dragon Ball Z the one on the cartoon network is a joke they cut it down so much I don't watch it on TV. I buy the uncut DBZ. The one that people 18 and up watch. If I could I would buy the real DBZ that would not be good very kids to watch. 2nd American Pie was not a love story I have watched the moive. It is about four guys wanting to have sex on prom night. That was the whole story. So compering American Pie to AOTC. Is like compering a Dodge Ram to a Dodge Viper. Yes they are both Dodge's but how many people own a Dodge Viper. Just like in moives how many moives in this day in age do you see where the two main chararters are not say. "Hey baby let's go have sex to show people how much we love each ohter. AOTC it not have that. It showed to people love in love with each other with out the sex.

Thank GOD

One more thing I have seen people here say that the reason they don't like the Love story or AOTC is because it had no sex. :eek: That's a good thing.

In Spider-man you saw KD in a wet dress. You could see her you know what. The guy who made that just had to add that in there didn't he. Real Kd, a long with must other actress like her. All seem to take on rules in teen moives. All of which are PG-13 or R moives and have some type of sex going on in it. At lest GL leaves some for people to think about what the person lookslike with nothing on.

So to me the Love Story in AOTC was more believe. I look back at Spider-man and well I have a hard tiem believeing it. I liked the moive. But it was not that good.

11. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Royalguard - Thanks for posting the facts straight from the source! :D :D Can't get any better than that!

SL & DB - Think I'll join you in that beer. After reading a few comments here I need it to "chill"

Abs - I have to hand it to you & the other Defender MEN (yes, they are MEN, not boys!). It's a rare treat indeed when grown men can express their feelings and admit they enjoy a love story w/o hiding in a corner! Bravo!

Obi-Can - I've read your arguments all summer and I know there's no changing your mind. I, too, guess I'm not "sophisticated" enough to know bad dialogue or whatever. :( <sigh> Yes, I really enjoyed the fireplace scene but I'm watching body movement, eye contact & the overall scene. Not just listening to words being said (which I didn't mind in the least either) I hope when you watch the DVD you will see more than you have previously. If not, well, I guess we'll continue to agree to disagree :)

12. darkanidanami124

darkanidanami124 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Hey Arriss the men who love the A/P scene. *I'm one of them.* Just know what a good love story is. Really theres nothing wrong with that.

13. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    So much amunition so little time. :_|

It all came from George's mouth, he said it's corny dialogue and that he knew that Fanboys, sophisticates and cynic's wouldn't like it. I'm just quoting from the horse's mouth.

One more point, the Raiders of the Lost Ark was also done in a 30's style, but avoided the pitfalls of corny dialogue so we know George can do it. He just didn't in this case.

Boy, DB , I'm impressed you really controlled yourself there. I'd love to see the unedited version though (just not here). Here, I'll buy the next round to make you feel better.

Ariss , are you suggesting I'm stubborn? I like to think of it as being consistent.

And Ani, Padme's you know whats were also showing in that white body suit she wore and I think the spaceship they were in was cold. ;)

Just sitting here, drinkin my corona and lime smiling like a fool.

14. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Ok then I must be the only one who did not see that. Or it coudl be the fact the the place they were fliming in the bulding was cold. So I don't think that was something GL said well you know.

15. AnakinSlave

Jan 16, 2002
    Obi-Can: I think your overt smugness stems from the fact that you haven't been able to convince some of us to feel the way you do. That is your overall goal, correct? Otherwise, why would you continue to post virtually the same, tired, rants on this message board for nearly 6 months now?

Please get over yourself. Your disdain for AOTC's romance has not elevated you to a higher level of astuteness.;)

16. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Of course George did that on purpose, he dressed her up in all those sexy costumes on purpose. Very smart move on his part, got you men going ga-ga over Natalie didn't it.

I think you must be the only guy that didn't notice it. Why do think the cat-creature tore off her clothes in strategic places?

My only wish is that he would do the same thing to Anakin and Obi-Wan, you know equal time for us girls and all. At least the Hayden fans got to see him shirtless. We poor Obi-Wan fans got nothing, it's just not fair.

Takes another swig of her Corona.

And Anakinslave, why do you come back with the same tired insults all the time.

17. darkanidanami124

Oct 27, 2002
    But what she wore was a lot better then what MY wore or what must people in the real world have on or lack there of.

What Nat wore left more to the...

18. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ob-can... check your PM and I'll fill you in... I PROMISE there are no fires in it... :p ;)

I thought that the meditaion scene with the shirt was far sexier than the bare chest.....

Obi/Ani lightsaber shirtless practice!Obi/Ani lightsaber shirtless practice!Obi/Ani lightsaber shirtless practice!Obi/Ani lightsaber shirtless practice!

19. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Teetotaler jumping in here...I'm not staying long though, otherwise it looks like I'll be needing beer, too, and for someone with my particular health problems, that wouldn't be a good idea.

Anyway...

DarthBreezy: You are sooo cool. :D

Obi-Can: I think the point was that the dialogue was corny because it was meant to be corny--I don't think it's fair for you to call those of us who liked it "unsophisticated". (And no, I'm not a child or a teenager either...I'm not much younger than you are. And BTW, American Pie is one of my favorite movies--and most quotable.) I also thought the meadow scene was more naturally played out, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the fireplace scene. Hayden almost had me in tears with the "If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me." The way he delivered it, looking like he was suffering so much himself... :_|

But I guess, like Arriss said, we'll probably have to agree to disagree.

20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    AG
    Virtual beers are actually good for what ails you! You and Ariss should sit down with Obi-can and I and as long as the beer hold out, we can gang up on her as to why Ani is hotter than Obi-wan!

*snicker*

21. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Yeah, if we drink enough virtual beer we'll all probably agree on something again.

Happy thought, there might just be some more beefcake shots in Ep III. You know Hayden and Ewan are really hot right now (well there always hot) but I mean as far as being popular. He might get the idea that just like putting Natalie in sexy outfits made some very enthusiastic male fans that a few shots of Anakin and Obi shirtless would do the same for the females.

Obi-Wan's hotter.

22. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    Ok I'll jump in with my two cents. The only line in all of SW that bothers me is "I wish I could just wish away my feelings" only because there is such a thing as a thesaurus and double use of the word "wish" just bugs me for some reason.

Like several others have said, I also focus on the whole picture and as such, am not likely to nitpick the dialogue. I will search far and wide for symbols and literary references however. I still think GL is giving a nod to medieval romance with the love story, but like everything else in SW--there's never a complete one-one correspondence with any particular story or tale.

And Obi-Can, I agree that it's criminal that we don't see Obi-Wan sans tunic!!!!It's definitely a good time to be a female SW fan. Two good looking actors and on the jumbo Imax screen no less....... Yeah!! tomorrow midnight,the fun begins all over again.

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Natalie is lurvely [face_love]

*runs for life from the fine women in thread*

8-}

24. darkanidanami124

Oct 27, 2002
    Natalie is hot. [face_love]

I must go before the women here come after me.

25. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Obi-can - I'm really not being sarcastic when I ask these questions. I'm just curious.

Did you like AOTC at all?
    If so, what did you like about it?
    Ignoring AOTC, what is your impression of Hayden?

You and I are the same age. I am a voracious reader...everything from dime store romance novels to Shakespeare to Euripides. I enjoyed the Love Story, dialogue included. But what do I know about love, I've just been happily married for over 15 years. ;)

Young love is corny and uncomfortable to watch. Heck, on our first date, my husband and I were sitting in dark booth in Little Italy restaurant. He reached across the table, caressed my cheek with his thumb and told me, "I love the way the candle light dances in your eyes." At the time it curled my toes, now I roll my eyes and laugh every time I think about it. As the relationship matures, so does the language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.