The *Official* Love Story Thread [v2.0]

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by RidingMyCarousel, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinSlave Jedi Knight

star 3
    Keeping in the spirit of Halloween, would someone please post a picture of Padme' in her black dress. The one that makes Anakin lose his breath.

Obi-Can: Tired rants should be met with tired insults.
  2. Obi-Can Jedi Knight

star 3
    Lori,

Did you like AOTC at all?

I loved AOTC, I've already gotten my tickets for the IMAX showing on Saturday and will probably go several times.

If so, what did you like about it?

It's Star Wars! I've been fascinated by the story since I was about 10. It's the quintessential Sci-Fi and Adventure movie.

Ignoring AOTC, what is your impression of Hayden?

Hayden was fantastic in LAAH. However, he hasn't yet shown what he can do since the two movies he's done are essentially the same type character, angsty teenagers. I believe he has a new movie coming out which should be be a departure from this type of character. I don't know many details about it, but would make a point of seeing it.

As far as your husband's line about the candlelight in your eyes, I think that's beautiful. I'm a sucker for such romantic goo and have been known to spout some myself once in a while. That isn't the problem with the dialogue in the AOTC Love Story. IMO it's more how it's delivered and the stiffness of the words. For cliche lines to work in real life or in a movie they have to sound honest and sincere. Anakin sounded like he was reading from a script, it felt acted. Also the cliches used didn't express the dynamics of the situation or the personalities of the characters effectively. They are just there to sound poetic and pretty, but serve no purpose other than to look out of place and tired (to use Anakinslaves word).

The most romantic scene IMO was the meadow scene, all the elements were well done in that scene. Great dialogue, great acting, great writing. Hayden looked much more comfortable saying his lines, as did Natalie. I also thought the Tatooine scenes were very good (not sure that they qualify as romantic though).
  3. Arriss Force Ghost

star 4
    Happy thought, there might just be some more beefcake shots in Ep III. You know Hayden and Ewan are really hot right now (well there always hot) but I mean as far as being popular. He might get the idea that just like putting Natalie in sexy outfits made some very enthusiastic male fans that a few shots of Anakin and Obi shirtless would do the same for the females.

Ohhh, please Uncle George? We promise to behave. Pretty please?

<orders a Killian's Red & sits down with Obi-Can & DB> Now, let's behave....

Edit: Lori - What your husband said to you was sweet & at the time you were mush. [face_love] You are right, as the relationship matures & grows, so does the dialogue. I too have been married for over 15 yrs. :D

Obi-Can - I too enjoyed the meadow scene. far to short in MHO. I would have liked to see more of their relationship develop & the ride Anakin gave Padme on the shaak. It would have said volumes about their feelings.
  4. Arriss Force Ghost

star 4
    Here you go Anakinslave:

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/c/padme/fanpadme.jpg]
  5. Anakin_Skywalker20 Force Ghost

star 5

Ohhh? Now that?s..evil.. I mean well for a senator I mean. Heh. I don?t like that pic? I like the pics of where padme wears comfortable stuff. Very beautifu, indeed. :)
  6. lori71 Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess what I'm getting at is some "love chatter" just can't be delivered sincerely. [thinking, "You complete me."]

The fireplace scene, I'm guessing, is the one most people have a problem with. Sure, their spoken words were formal and stylized as opposed to their other romantic scenes, but I think it was designed that way. The dark lighting, roaring fire, Padme's costume, the looks that passed between them all spoke to A&P's underlying feelings for one another. These visual cues make a mockery of their formal speech patterns. Their emotions are raging, so they attempt to control the situation by making their voices emotionless. They didn't succeed, but they gave it the ol' college try. :)

Love has many different faces...romantic, sensual, gentle, irrational, funny etc... To me, the fireplace scene just showed their relationship progressing from the initial "greeting card" romance to something deeper.

As for my hubby, he's the best. I hope that I didn't sound too jaded by saying we laugh at that stuff now. After 15 years, romance is a swat on bottom while doing the dishes, holding hands while walking the dog and the occasional wink of the eye when passing each other in the house. Heck, when my husband had to work out of town for 9 months, I would embroider messages in certain pieces of his *cough* clothing. Not your traditional wine and roses, but it works!

It's really fun for me to see this love story in it's infancy. There is just something about those characters, and the actor's portrayal of them, that works for me. If that makes me a gusher, so be it. After all, all the world loves a lover. :)

7. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's a quote from MYTHMAKING: BEHIND THE SCENES OF ATTACK OF THE CLONES. "It wasn't that the writing of it was so difficult," Lucas explained. "I'd done a b it of writing a love story in American Graffiti, so writing wasn't the challenge. The challenge was that I wanted to tell the love story in a style that was extremely old-fashioned, and, frankly, I didn't know if I was going to be able to pull it off. In many ways, this was much more like a movie from the nineteen thirties than any of the others had been, with a slightly over-the-top, poetic style-and thye just don't do that in movies anymore. I was very happy with the way it turned out in the script and in the performances, but I knew people might not buy it. A lot of guys were going to see this movie, and most guys think that kind of flowery, poetic talk is stupid-' Come on, give me a greak,' More sophistcated, cynical types also don't buy that stuff. So I didn't know if people would laugh at it and throw things at the screen, or if they would accept it."
  8. Obi-Can Jedi Knight

star 3
    As for my hubby, he's the best. I hope that I didn't sound too jaded by saying we laugh at that stuff now. After 15 years, romance is a swat on bottom while doing the dishes, holding hands while walking the dog and the occasional wink of the eye when passing each other in the house. Heck, when my husband had to work out of town for 9 months, I would embroider messages in certain pieces of his *cough* clothing. Not your traditional wine and roses, but it works!

Lori
    Not at all, it sounds like your in love and after 15 years thats quite an accomplishment. I like that embroidery touch, I haven't sewn in so long that I don't even know if I own a needle. My boyfriend started this great little tradition, where we exchange these sexy little emails with each other throughout the day. It's gotten to be a fun little tradition now, like getting a wink or a quick hug. I open up my laptop and the first thing I do is check and see if I have one. Great stress relief. Everyone asks me why I'm always smiling (my job isn't the kind you smile a lot with). I of course don't tell them.

Hopefully, I'll be able to look back fondly to our courtship days in 15 yrs. Do You think we'll still be talking about Star Wars?
  9. lori71 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ain't love grand? [face_blush]

I hope that we'll still be talking SW in 15 years. Who knows...GL could decide to do another trilogy...

10. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    We can all keep wishing. Because by the time he's done writing 7, 8, and 9 he woudl be to old to make them. But we can always hope.
  11. Haydens_MineNotYours Jedi Knight

Anakin used the force to cushion Padme's fall, yes good, and that's why she kissed him on the cheek. So that ObiWan wouldn't think anything of it, and he would assume it was just a little thank you, nothing more. If Padme had kissd Anakin on the mouth and gone all mushy,then ObiWan would have seen it and gone crazy.
  12. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello Official Love Story Thread! I missed you. Have you been behaving? ;)
  13. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So, what on the love story are we discussing right now? :)
  14. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    How about why the love story only has 2 or 3 minutes of screentime in the IMAX version.

All action and no love story because much of the talked about scenes have been cut and for that, the wedding scene itself makes no sense because there's nothing in the IMAX version to explain why Anakin and Padme decided to get married nor why after rejecting Anakin does Padme decides to admit her love for him.

I know there are most people that are happy that the entire love story is cut out of the IMAX version but I am extremely disappointed that the people at IMAX didn't have enough film to show the entire footage.
  15. SlowLearner Jedi Knight

star 3
    PMT99

Yeah, it's really disappointing that the love story was reduced so drastically for the IMAX version. :( But at least we have the DVD coming soon. And every nanosecond of the love story will be present in all it's glory! :)

I was considering skipping work to see AOTC when I first heard it was coming to IMAX, but after reading about what had been cut out of it, my enthusiasm waned considerably. Nevertheless, I understand that the IMAX format has limitations and a lot of sacrifices had to be made. The good part is that I think this IMAX release will stimulate DVD sales.

Anyhow, here's a link to an AOTC DVD review that I like. The screencaps are pretty nice, and the captions under them are funny! DVD.IGN
  16. jedi scholar Jedi Master

star 3
    Ok, here's a question for the thread.
    Does the love story work in the IMAX version? This is not meant to stimulate any whining or gloating about deleted scenes, but as an honest evaluation of the story as it is presented on IMAX.

On my first IMAX viewing, I was so shocked by the edits that I couldn't really appreciate the IMAX version as it stands. A subsequent viewing changed my opinion and I found that I could enjoy the entire experience. While I'm a definite fan of the love story, I have to admit that it still worked for me, even though it was edited. I do have a few quibbles with specific edits, but I thought that A/P's love still came through overall.

Which led me to consider a possible explanation----IMO, the visuals combined with the love theme may do more to advance the love story than any dialogue. I've never had a problem with the dialogue, but I really think that it is secondary to the combination of visuals/music.

A thought, anyone????
  17. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    I would give you any answer but I have not seen IMAX yet.
  18. Jedi_Leia Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't think I've posted in this thread although I frequently read it. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone in here has seen the deleted scenes? I'm curious to know your opinions..

19. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    I saw the extended arrivial (thanks to a link on another thread)... It's amazing how much those few lines of interaction make the scene flow so much more smoothly. Interesting to note, they also make the 'hiccup' confrontaion in the queens chambers much more intrigueing as they have gone from freindly banter to that...

20. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    I just thought I would bring this up. Just for any one who wants to talk about the Love story. Please read the 1st post by RidingMyCaroslOnYou. There are rules for posting in this thread.
  21. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    Up to have the great threads on the front page.

What would you change in the Love Story if you could?
  22. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    What would I change?

I would include the extended version of the Naboo arrival-- the one that's on the 2nd AOTC DVD disc. It just makes the whole scene more natural and shows Anakin and Padme connecting more.

Then I would also cut the "fireplace chat scene" down to what it was in the IMAX version. That version is great.

Other than that, I thought the love story was fine. I especially like the Naboo picnic-- great cinematography and music.
  23. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's something to consider. I often wonder what people compare AOTC to when they form their opinion of the Love Story. So here's your chance:

How does AOTC compare to your all-time favorite romances?

This can include books, TV, film, etc....

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
  25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    I have been wondering if perhaps we as Americans (for the most part) are looking at the love story from the wrong viewpoint. GL takes most of his cues regarding the Jedi way of life from Buddhist teachings, which are very different from the Western possessive viewpoint.

Here's an example:

'Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life, so you might say we're encouraged to love.' - anakin, atoc

This is a quote from the current Dalai Lama on this concept of love, compassion and attachment.

In the Buddhist tradition, compassion and loving kindness are seen as two sides of the same thing. Compassion is said to be the empathetic wishes that arises to see the object of compassion, the sentient being, free from suffering. Loving kindness is the aspiration that wishes happiness upon others. In this context, love and compassion should no be confused with love and compassion in the conventional sense. For example, we experience a sense of closeness towards people who are dear to us. We feel a sense of compassion and empathy for them. We also have a strong love for these people, but often this love or compassion is grounded in self-referential considerations: "So-and-so is my friend", "my spouse", "my child", and so on. This kind of love or compassion is tinged with attachment because it involves self-referential considerations.
    Once there is attachment there is also the potential for anger and hatred to arise. Attachment goes hand in hand with anger and hatred. For example, if one's compassion towards someone is tinged with attachment, it can easily turn into emotional opposite due to the slightest incident. Then instead of wishing that person to be happy, you might wish that person to be miserable.
    - Tenzin Gyatso

The Jedi are not evil or wrong for not allowing attachments for the members of their order, they are simply following a very wise edict, which has worked for them for several millenia.

Lady Sami

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.