main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Lucasfilm-Animated Musical Thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ShaneP, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Howdy folks. This just broke a bit ago:

Lucas is producing an animated CG musical directed by Kevin Munroe.

Here's the story: Lucas producing Animated Musical

This kinda came out of nowhere. What do you think?

Thx to THR for the link and story.

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Very weird. Based on the concept it seems very peculiar, but writer David Berenbaum is generally very clever and fun, so hopefully it will turn out good. I suppose its too early to really make anything of all this. Its also unclear how involved Lucas is--I mean, he produced many movies in the 80s, but really just amounted to a financer and middle-man for the studio, so who knows.

I guess its better than making the ROTJ musical more elaborate in the next release! :p

3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes please. If this film means he gets all his musical needs out, then by all means do it George. Then maybe he can cut the musical number back down to its original size. :p

As for how involved Lucas is: the blurb did mention preproduction work was being done at "The Ranch" so that would suggest at least some design and concept involvement by Lucas.

But you're right about it being early. A part of me is still wondering about the validity of the story period.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Let's all remember what Steve Sansweet said recently: "George wouldn't have created an entire animation studio just to do one animated series." It was inevitable that there would be another series or movie. And I would prefer something new to another continuation of Lucas franchises.

Prediction: if it succeeds, George will get no credit. If it fails, its all in his lap.

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Depends on how involved he is, as I said. And also on how much the LFL PR machine wants to emphasize him--sometimes Lucas is the victim of his own hype.

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah we really don't know how extensive his personal involvement is. And it takes a strong assertive director(ala Spielberg or Coppola) to be able to cast these LFL Productions as "Films by a director" that is produced by Lucas instead of just a gun for hire that really served as Lucas' on-set director.

If the film can be cast in the former, it will have a fairer shot in the media perspective of it. If it's the latter, then it could be Howard the Duck or Radioland Murders all over again(as in: director for hire but a "Lucas film" for all intents and purposes).

That is an unfair characterization, especially regarding Howard, but it has stuck around because that is how the media cast it.

7. Kaero_Shan

Kaero_Shan Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2006
    I am looking forward to a musical. And as LawJedi pointed out, it was inevitable that there would be another film or series.
    When Clone Wars ends, and taking the fact into acount that the first part of The Hobbit will come out 2011 or 2012, fantasy will be very in again. So I can imagine a Willow-cgi-animated-series. And this can be very good if treated properly.

8. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Isn't Lucas working with Kevin Munroe (writer/director of the animated "TMNT" flick a few years back) on this? Sounds like the two of them are of like minds enough to work together in concert.

Anyway, let's not blame Lucas for "Howard the Duck". That was Huyck & Katz's fiasco, not his.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    We've read from different sources on the web about Munroe being involved, but no official confirmation yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.