main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Matthew Woodring Stover Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

1. saltmanz

saltmanz Jedi Master

Jan 29, 2009
    They're not. Althoooough, in the Barra books, Stover portrays angels as "outside powers", much like the being Ma'elKoth summons early on in HD. And the Barra books take place in Earth's past, while the Caine books take place in Earth's future. But other than that, no relation.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    When I asked over on Matt's blog whether or not Hari and Barra's Earth was one-and-the-same I was told the answer was "beyond [my] pay grade".

He was probably just throwing me a bone, but I'm going to cherish that bone, dammit! :p

3. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Mr. Stover,

this one is totally unrelated to SW. I create a little music now and then and have bridge that goes like this

It was fun while it lasted, I'm happy now it's over
    She was too intense, like a book by Matthew Stover

Is that ok with you? You can listen here:

http://soundcloud.com/alienarea/body-function

Best regards

Holger Bohlien

4. MWStover

MWStover - Traitor - Shatterpoint - ROTS - LSatSoM star 3 VIP

Jan 17, 2002
    That's pretty funny.

I don't imagine I can object, given that the reference is to my public persona, as the writer of several books that are (arguably) too intense.

And I also think it's pretty funny.

5. KirKanosForever

KirKanosForever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    The cover is up on Amazon and it is awesome!!

6. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I know that it would be preferable for the creative mind behind all these books we love so much if anyone who hasn't read Blade of Tyshalle yet bought the eBook instead of a used copy, but... well, seeing how some people just don't read eBooks and should still get a chance, I think the used book option is best right now. Maybe if we combine it with a voluntary royalties payment c/o Matt.

What did I want to say again? Oh, I've been looking for a used copy myself, and the amazon.com marketplace seems to have hit a hidden pocket of those. Quite cheap, as well, compared to prices I've seen over the last year. Just wanted to give people around here a headstart while Matt has a serious talk about royalties with me... While you're at it, preorder Caine's Law.

BTW, I'm about to start Jericho Moon. Finally. Funny how you never get around to doing things anymore.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey Matt. Great to see that you're gonna have a short story in the Insider. Can't wait!

8. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Well, this is not only nice, but might also make me wait for the paperback of Luceno's novel. But maybe not, as buying the magazine isn't such a hard thing to do. Let's not overcomplicate things.

I guess I'll have to give feedback about Jericho Moon someday, don't I?

9. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    No obligation, real or implied.

10. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I do feel one, though, as I was happy to be along for the ride. And for the book to create a ride of my own, making me happily think back to the time I read it (just as with the first volume that I read the unbelievable amount of three years earlier).

While I could live without realistic ultra-violence (that's what will always bug me a bit about your books, isn't it ;) ), your prose really has a lot going for it. What's more, going into the book I wondered how it would feel to have "just another" adventure of Barra and gang with the knowledge that there wouldn't be any continuation, but as soon as I realized that this was indeed an "epic game" to the first book's "business as usual", I was really intrigued. Interesting way of dealing with the religious themes and details.

As this is no place for a review or plot spoilers, let me just add that I'm really looking forward to finally getting to know this Caine guy. Even though I feel odd talking to artists and telling them that I like their art, because it's always got that Abba "Thank you for the music" subtext. I wish I'd rather become a fully fledged artist myself and then tell everyone that I was influenced by people like, for example, Matt Stover.

11. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    That's the highest praise there is.

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Cool, when I start reenacting some of Caine's kills, I'll be sure to tell everyone I was inspired by Matthew Stover.

Anyway, finally picked up a copy of Heroes Die. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm still not far enough to where I understand how this strange world works, but it is certainly a telling statement about pop culture. I'll post more when I've finished.

One thing I'd like to compliment is your way of bringing the reader into the world, if that makes sense. Most of us have read fantasy books where the writer spends paragraphs upon paragraphs explaining how their world works, severely hurting the pace of the novel. Heroes Die really just drops you in it, and lets you sort it out for yourself based on how the characters act. When writing, is this something that comes naturally, or do you really have to plot out what is going to be explained, when, by what character, etc?

13. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    It's a reasonably simple rule of thumb: never tell the readers anything they don't need to know right now.

One of the key tricks to effective storytelling is to make exposition read like scene. Nobody gets it right all the time (least of all me), but when you do, it's hard to beat.

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This was quite a while ago, but I finished Blade of Tyshalle.

And That. Was. Awesome.

I really don't know whether I like it better than Heroes Die. I might. Man...Kollberg going nuts was awesome...Just loved the Blind God, everything.

But it'll be a while till I read Caine Black Knife.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh geez, ever read any Dickens? I think I've just figured out why I'm not too big on him [face_mischief] . He's got great characters, but in my humble opinion devotes too much time to exposition. Makes for somewhat sleepy reading.

Another question; do you have any favorite fantasy books or series that you think any fan of the genre just has to read? I'm pretty new to the genre, and I've read some more popular stuff, such as George R.R. Martin (really enjoyed), Robert Jordan (okay, I guess), and Terry Brooks (bleh) I'd like to find some series that I probably wouldn't find on my own, since a lot of the stuff I like I find on dumb luck.

16. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    You hit the nail on the head on why I hated Great Expectations. Waaaaaay too much description of setting. Though somehow, A Christmas Carol was a much easier read.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    There's a reason for the writing diahrrhea. Back in that time, Dickens released these stories as short installments in a newspaper or journal or something and he was essentially being paid by the word.

Mo' Words=Mo' Money

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That, plus they were serialized, so readers would have wanted as much as possible each month. For the same reason people today might be pissed that their monthly comic is short, Dickens readers might have been mad if he delivered something easy to fly through.

You'll get no argument from me that he's a phenomenal writer, and his books are actually much improved by reading only one chapter at a time, IMO. That's how they were intended, anyway.

19. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Actually there was often more than 1 chapter in each number of All the Year Round. For scans of Great Expectations, if you're interested to see how it looked as originally published, check out this site: http://dickens.stanford.edu/archive/great/expectations.html

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Read The Lies of Locke Lamora. Now. And then read the sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies. They come with the Stover seal of approval. You can read his endorsement, among others', here.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll definitely check that out. I want to say that I've heard the name of the series, but I'm not completely sure.

22. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    Ahoy.

Any Caine fans out there have 30 minutes to put him over the top vs. Zaphod Beebelbrox in the Suvudu Cage Match.

VOTE RIGHT NOW!

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm so disappointed that I didn't get to vote in that Caine vs Zaphod battle. Would have loved to have read more of your awesome write ups.

If you get around to reading this: just wanted to say that I finished Blade of Tyshalle recently. Absolutely fantastic book. I'll admit I was somewhat confused over the nature of the Blind God (originally, I assumed that the Blind God was simply a metaphor for an awakened Ma'elKoth, though it seemed that it was actually enacting a strong influence over him (Him?). And ultimately, I think part of the appeal was that he was difficult to fully conceptualize, yet still came off as a huge threat. Will be a fun reread.

Don't suppose you know if there are any plans to reprint it? Seems strange to me that the whole series is readily available in paperback, but a new copy of Blade would cost me about $160. It's a great book, but that's a little steep.

Got around to reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's an absolutely fantastic novel.

Fun fact: go to Blade of Tyshalle's amazon page, and you'll see a glowing review from Scott Lynch.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Have to agree with Hav, Lies of Locke Lamora is brilliant stuff, Red Seas isn't quite as stellar but still very good. With luck the long-awaited 3rd book, Republic of Thieves, comes out next month!