main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Matthew Woodring Stover Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    My "abbreviated" review of Blade of Tyshalle follows without any spoilers from the book itself . . .

Blade of Tyshalle (BoT)

Rating: 8/10

(For comparison, I gave Heroes Die - HD - a 9.5/10)

Every single character in BoT comes to life and really plucks the reader at the throat, MWS-style ;). And over the 725 pages of the high-quality paperback, there are quite a few characters who manage to yank readers into some subconscious level of understanding and respect.

Similar to Heroes Die, the crux of BoT outlines a gripping struggle of love. In this case, the protagonist's (Caine's) strife to keep his family safe. Obviously, there is more to it. Much, much more. Phenomenal character development which compels readers to care for the most unlikely of candidates, thematic introspection, philosophy dealing with morality and the nature of Fantasy itself, compelling, grab-you-by-the-throat action, unpredictable storyline developments and a rousing finale. Did I mention the depth of the characterization yet?

This novel takes place 7 years after the events which transpired in Heroes Die. And vaguely follows the protagonist, Caine.

I found many interesting correlations between MWS' work and the NJO. The one aspect I believe I can discuss without giving anything away from the plot of BoT:
    "...Everything that happens in your life - every single thing - leaves a scar. A permanent scar. You're not supposed to get over it. To get over something - to erase the mark it left on you - erases part of who you are . . . Scars are the key to power . . . Scars are the map of beauty . . . Each of us is the sum of our scars." -Deliann/Kris Hansen
    Consider the Yuuzhan Vong and their scars for a minute. Also consider what bacta tanks do in the GFFA. Amazing how reading this helped me appreciate the Vong's disfigurements & scars in a light I never have thus far in the NJO itself. Their biotechnology? Sure. But their scars? Not yet.

In conclusion, a scintillating read, the least of which because of the characters. I cannot however recommend BoT above HD simply because the events in BoT depend upon events in HD in many ways. HD also gave us a more narrow and focused storyline which I appreciate more than a variegated one.

2. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

I saw the mass-market paperkback for BoT at B&N yesterday.

Eagerly and anxiously awaiting Traitor...

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Yeah, they fixed their mistake and put the "Woodring" back in his name for the mass-market edition.

4. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Not really a mistake. It was dropped for graphic-design reasons, I believe. Stover preferred to have his middle name on the cover because "MWS" is a more distinctive acronym than "MS".

Got Iron Dawn on Thursday. Only had time to read a few pages, but I'm enjoying it.

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Finally found a bookstore that sells MWS books. Now I just have to finish Rebel Dream & Return Of The King, then Salvatore's The Demon Apostle, Mortalis and Ascendance (coming out in pb this month!). By then, Rebel Stand should be out, so it'll probably be after that. But I'll get to 'em sooner or later! I swear!

wk

6. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Well, I'll have to go pick up the paperback of Blade of Tyshalle now that I'm nearly finished with Heroes Die. I'm definitely interested in seeing what Stover can do with the Star Wars universe.

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I finally found a copy of "Heroes Die"... really looking forward to reading it...

8. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Well, no "Woodring" on Traitor's cover either.

9. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Well, we've got an excerpt for Traitor up now, enabling those who (like me) have yet to read any of his other books to finally get to experience his writing style. So what's the general consensus?

Personally, I loved it, and I can see now why he's such a popular author around here. Very cool, very intriguing, very intense. I don't think they could have found a better author for this book.

10. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

A consensus on his writing style?

I think for myself, I describe it like so: if there ever existed an addictive agent inherent in writing styles, MWS' would prove the strongest.

And I agree, he's the perfect choice for Traitor :)

11. Hapan_Kickboxer

Hapan_Kickboxer Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    Balance_point: you said there was an excerpt up somewhere... where is it? I did not see it at the official site.

Also, does anyone know when this book is really coming out? The offical site says October, amazon says late July.

12. Caine

Mar 3, 2002
  13. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    Is Stover working on another Caine novel? I thought I read something about another one somewhere else on the Lit board but I've seen nothing official. Was this just a rumor or some inside info straight from him?

14. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Yes, after his two SW novels are two more Caine novels, the first of which is tentatively titled Caine Black Knife.

15. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    Alright, cool. Thanks for the info.

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but apparently Daniel Keys Moran is writing a screenplay from Heroes Die, and it apparently kicks a lot of ass.

17. MWStover

MWStover - Traitor - Shatterpoint - ROTS - LSatSoM star 3 VIP

Jan 17, 2002
    Let's say: *if* Dan ends up writing it, it'll kick a lot of ass. Last I heard, he was still fiddling with the outline . . . He's mostly engaged in the esoteric practice called "having a life." It may not leave him a lot of time to work on spec.

Anybody who hasn't picked up DKM's "Long Run" stuff really should be heading for a bookstore now . . . If you start with EMERALD EYES, you won't stop till you run out of books. He's a terrific writer.

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    He's also written some Star Wars stories:

A Barve Like That
    The Last One Standing

Go read them. Now. :D

19. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    With Stover's recommendation I'll definitely check them out. Emerald Eyes has been added to "The List".

20. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Finally found a copy of "Heroes Die." Why, may I ask, was this book so hard to find? The bookstores I go to usually carry just about anything and everything but had next to nothing from Stover.

~PAd

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I went to WaldenBooks yesterday, and noticed that there were no copies of either Heroes Die or Blade of Tyshalle on the shelf. So I went up to the register, and here's the resulting conversation:

Me: Do you have any books by Matthew Woodring Stover in stock?
    Him: Just a second. . .how do you spell that name?
    Me: ::spells it out::
    Him: No, sorry. Would you like to order anything?
    Me: I already own the books, but could you order a copy each of Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle to put on the shelves?
    Him: If they're not on the shelves, then they're not selling well.
    Me: Obviously, they will not sell well unless there are copies on the shelves. So if you could order a copy of each and put them on the shelf for people to find, perhaps they will sell. Blade of Tyshalle in particular has a very attractive cover; if you put it face out, it will almost definitely sell.
    Him: I don't know if I can order a book unless you want to buy it.
    Me: I already own these books. I want other people to have an opportunity to buy them.
    Him: If you already own them, why do you want to order them?
    Me: I've got a question. If I order a copy each of these books, and then don't come in to pick them up, will you put them on the shelves, or will you strip them or send them back to the publisher?
    Him: If you ordered the books, why wouldn't you pick them up when they arrived?
    Me: ::fantasizes about violently tearing out his throat::

JechtShotMK9 likes this.
  22. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    LOL. I usually start getting annoyed when I realize they can't spell even simple names. Most of the stores here have Blade of Tyshalle shelved, but not Heroes Die.

23. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

[face_laugh] @ Mastadge ! I love how you've taken it upon yourself to spread the word to unsupecting customers! My friend and I do the exact same thing with Neil Gaiman. We order books whenever possible and if we see someone in the fanstasy section struggling to find something worth while to read, well, let's just say the poor blokes never know what hit them! [face_mischief] A bookstore once installed a whole trade paperback section thanks to us. :)

~PAd

24. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

[face_laugh]

I live in Fairfax, VA, and all the franchise stores (Borders, Barnes & Noble) here carry MWS' stuff, although I haven't checked Waldenbooks or b.dalton.

HD was on the shelves a couple months back but they've removed HD to make room for the BoT paperback lately. Personally, I think if you're going to have BoT on the shelf, you should have at least one copy of HD there as well.

25. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I recently picked up both Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle at my local Borders. I have to read some crappy book for my Euro class first, but I should have them finished soon enough.