main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Matthew Woodring Stover Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

1. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Be prepared to pay a lot for a paper copy of BoT :p

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I've got some spare time, I think I'm going to try and read your older books. Hopefully I'll be able to find a copy of Iron Dawn. From what I've read, Matt, you're a very versatile author.

As for the SW universe, I heard somewhere that you said you'd be somewhat interested in a Dark Empire novelization (don't know if that has any credit to it, but regardless I like the idea). It's a pretty cool story, but I don't think such a "big" event in the SW timeline is done justice just with a comic. I definitely think you could add a great deal to it, especially since you seem to "get" a lot of the characters.

At the same time, however, I can understand why it might be really annoying to write SW books a long with original fiction, and less enjoyable.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If you can't find Iron Dawn, the new Author's Edition is available here. It's an e-book, but it's available in printable formats in case you don't read without hardcopy.

4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks, that's fine. I don't really care if it's hardback/paperback/on the computer or whatever.

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh, and Matt, fairly random question... do you like to listen to music while writing? I've read some cool stories about various fantasy and science fiction authors preferring to listen to music while writing, occasionally even being somewhat inspired by the mood of whatever it is they're listening to (biggest one I can immediately think of is Douglas Adams with progressive music like Pink Floyd, Procul Harum or Alan Parson's Project), though I know some other writers I've talked to prefer not to, as it's distracting and whatnot.

6. MWStover

MWStover - Traitor - Shatterpoint - ROTS - LSatSoM star 3 VIP

Jan 17, 2002
    I always have music going when I write, unless I'm stuck; then I need complete silence while I figure out what the problem is and come up with a way to solve it.

My playlist is eclectic -- from Harry Nilsson and The Monkees to Bad Religion and Disturbed. If I'm working on something that requires more concentration, I usually go for Glenn Gould playing Bach or Beethoven, because having that music on makes me feel smart.

[EDIT] Oh, and I'd absolutely be open to novelizing Dark Empire -- these days I'm open to almost any project with a paycheck attached.

7. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    Oh, and -- reminded by JFO's mention on his thread -- I'm gonna be at C2E2 too.

On my own hook, as it's in my home town and I am not currently under contract, so there's no booth or anything. I'm going mostly to meet some comics people and get input about my forthcoming OverWorld TV comic. If anybody's looking for me, I'll probably be lurking somewhere around the Dark Horse booth, trying to get Ostrander's autograph.

8. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I saw a hardcover edition of 'Heart Of Bronze' (in great condition) at a thrift store today. If I didn't already own the paperback editions of each of the books included I might have picked it up. Instead, I decided I'd allow another Stover fan who hasn't read the Barra books discover it.

Most everyone who posts in this thread is a huge Stover fan. Would any of you purchase one of Stover's books, read it, then donate it to charity? I'd never part with one of mine.

9. Darth-Solus

Darth-Solus Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2006
    I know it's a little outside your genre, but would you ever be interested in writing a Julius Caesar novel?

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So... there was a chance you were listening to The Monkees while writing say, Shatterpoint? [face_monkey]

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    "Another pleasant valley Sunday..."

I love that whole British Invasion era of music. Honestly, it's really great for something like writing, because they're all very short, upbeat and focused songs. I like my 20 minute Yes instrumentals as much as the next guy, but I think they distract you too much to write something. My personal favorite background music come from the British Invasion, and a lot of 80's alternative like R.E.M., The Cure and The Smiths.

What do I know, though, some people can multi-task to Merzbow (look him up) [face_laugh]

12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So, I got a Kindle, and recently got a $50 Amazon gift card.

I also just bought Blade of Tyshalle (finally) and Caine Black Knife. Will be looking forward to reading those very soon.

13. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    Actually, Shatterpoint was mostly Glenn Gould, broken up by The Offspring and an occasional Rolling Stones jag.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Matt:

I just completed my first re-reading of Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. I hadn't read the novel since it came out and I can honestly say that I am MORE impressed with it the second time around. The first chapter with Rogue Squadron, all from Hobbie's POV, is simply awesome. As Rogues goes, Hobbie tends to be overshadowed by Wedge, Tycho, Janson, and Corran, so it was nice to see Hobbie get some love. The humor of the whole situation and Hobbie's close friendship with his wingman Janson really make that chapter shine.

As a Fleet Junkie, I really loved your idea to develop the Rapid Response Task Force and the tactics that the Lando uses at the end of the battle. I did have a couple of questions I was hoping you could clarify.

1. What was your inspiration behind making the RRTF?
    2. I had some trouble following the actual losses of the RRTF's capital ships. Did you work out exactly which vessels survived Mindor?
    3. Your idea to have Lando bring his capital ships into Mindor's atmosphere and close to ground was wicked cool. What inspired you when coming up with that idea?

Anyways, I sincerely hope we get more Expanded Universe books that are written by you. I can think of quite a few other awesome yet undeveloped campaigns mentioned in the EU (the liberation of Kashyyyk, Ackbar's victory over Pellaeon at the end of the Galactic Civil War, etc) that I think your skills would be well use on! :)

--Adm. Nick

Nom von Anor and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    Hi, Admiral. And thanks.

Specifics:

1.) The RRTF came about because it seemed the most appropriate command for Luke -- one that would make the best use of his Jedi instincts and tactical skills . . . dealing with problems too big for Lando's Spec Ops Group, that are also too time-sensitive to wait for a major fleet action.

2.) Yes, I did, but I'd have to re-read the book to give you the exact ones. Several of the Slash-Es aren't identified by name, IIRC. Remember Alderaan made it, of course, as did (I think) at least one of the named interdictors . . . Wait a Minute, maybe?

3.) I don't plan out large scale actions in advance; I set the initial parameters, then I try to have the opposing forces make the best choices they can, given the limitations of intel, materiel and manpower. He takes the ships in because that's their only chance to even survive, let alone win. And because he's Lando.

As to my next SW book . . . well, we'll see. There are no current plans.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Haven't read the rest of the thread, just popping in to say that I really enjoyed the Revenge of the Sith novelization and I started Shatterpoint last night. I'm having a hard time putting it down; Mace Windu is a fascinating character and I love the way you've written him. Looking forward to the rest of the book. :)

17. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Mr. Stover,

I was reading over (and reading a lot) recently about the "new wave" and other sub-genres or new movements in the Sci-Fi/SpecLit/Fantasy fields and such (new wave, cyberpunk, etc.), and I was wondering, how would you describe your style? Do you think you are under one 'category' of subgenre or movement? I know you've stated before that some of your influences are Zelazny, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Nietzsche - were there any others?

18. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    Hey -- sorry I missed your question above. The answer is yes: he was a fascinating character -- a great writer as well as an ass-kicking general and aspiring tyrant. He was one of the people I had in mind when Caine once observed that "There's nothing more dangerous than an intellectual with power."

19. MWStover

Jan 17, 2002
    Strictly speaking, only Zelazny and Tolstoy count as influences (and Tolstoy only because I tried to nick the narrative structure of War and Peace for Blade of Tyshalle -- the other two are writers I admire, but have never attempted to emulate. My primary influences in Our Genre are Zelazny, Fritz Leiber and Robert A. Heinlein, with a strong dash of Robert E. Howard. Outside the ghetto, I'm believe I'm influenced most strongly by Chandler and Kipling, Conrad and Hemingway . . . most of whom arguably influenced the others I mentioned above.

20. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    So would you define your writing in any particular style or [sub]genre? Like new-wave, cyberpunk, etc, were new forms of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and new forms of literary movements and such. Do you see yourself subscribing to any form of literary movement, sub-genre? Or do you see it all as just "writing" or "science fiction/fantasy"?

21. NiobeRhysode_2987

NiobeRhysode_2987 Jedi Knight

Jan 23, 2011
    Don't forget Traitor, Mr. Stover's NJO book. That one is my favorite, although yes, I really enjoyed his ROTS novelization too.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Matt, are your Acts of Caine books in any way connected to Iron Dawn or Jericho Moon?

23. KirKanosForever

KirKanosForever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    Well, this is just all kinds of awesome. I can't wait!

Product Description
    SOME LAWS YOU BREAK. SOME BREAK YOU.
    AND THEN THERE?S CAINE?S LAW.

From the moment Caine first appeared in the pages of Heroes Die, two things were clear. First, that Matthew Stover was one of the most gifted fantasy writers of his generation. And second, that Caine was a hero whose peers go by such names as Conan and Elric. Like them, Caine was something new: a civilized man who embraced savagery, an actor whose life was a lie, a force of destruction so potent that even gods thought twice about crossing him. Now Stover brings back his greatest creation for his most stunning performance yet.

Caine is washed up and hung out to dry, a crippled husk kept isolated and restrained by the studio that exploited him. Now they have dragged him back for one last deal. But Caine has other plans. Those plans take him back to Overworld, the alternate reality where gods are real and magic is the ultimate weapon. There, in a violent odyssey through time and space, Caine will face the demons of his past, find true love, and just possibly destroy the universe.

Hey, it?s a crappy job, but somebody?s got to do it.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345455894/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    x2.

I want this desperately. Desperately.