main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Official Maul in TCW Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Vorax,

I think these physical signs of the darksiders are occuring quite arbitrarily. Dooku has no yellow eyes and quite normal skin and teeth though he force lightened so many people. And concerning Maul he has sometimes red, sometimes yellow, sometimes blendax-white teeth according to the mood or intention of the drawer if he likes to show a more devilish or a rather cool Maul.

At least Maul doesn't become that ugly because of excessive force-lightning like Sidious. Will he ever learn to parry it with his lightsaber the Mace Windoo-style?

What you said about the poisoned relationship between master and apprentice in Sith-culture, I remember the book "Yoda : dark Rendezvous" by Sean Stewart where is descripted, that Dooku feels weak and old and inept in comparison the very same master Sidious as you pointed out relating to Maul and his relationship with Sidious. If there is any doubt left why Sith-apprentices shall kill their master at a given time then it is this necessity to break free from this dark and overwhelming shadow of a person always appearing superior and invincible.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well some of it is for visual dramatic effect,yeah while with others its part of their complete look. I think Maul always constantly had yellow and red "sith eyes". Savage had green or greyish eyes which often appeared to glow in the dark or something during the night fights with Ventress, but once as Sith Apprentice he had the same yellow eye sith color as Darth Maul.

Dooku apparently being very vain and full of vanity like Palpatine kept their more human look but this was also a mask on their part as Dooku and Palpatine was the secret idenity and their true selves were Darth Tyranus and Darth Sidious. Anakin's eyes shifted between moods but stayed on red once he was burned and disfigured. Not sure off hand, but I think Dooku's eyes turned darkside with one time during the Yoda arc, when Yoda called temptation and deceiver on the illusion Jedi sequence.

3. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Didn't notice that difference in Savage's eyes previous and afterwards Talzin's transformation. I may have a more closer look when I dare again to see "Monster". Actually I don't like this men-casting organized by haughty Ventress and the way Savage is killing Feral. And I'm not sure if Palpatine is really that vain and full of vanity. Dooku apparently is. But Sidious/Palpatine actually leads a very modest life out of material whims and stylish allures. I think he is rather eager not to draw to much suspicious attention to his person as a chancellor and still hidden Sith-Lord. And he is just following the unwritten rules of conduct and appearance in his civil live. And after his emperoral transformation he doesn't have any reason left to be vain or cocky at all. While Maul still has - even without his original legs.[face_laugh]

4. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well, I would think the definition applies to Palpatine as well as he showed an excessive high opinion of his appearance, abilities and worth.

Palpatine took pride in hiding in plain sight and often decorated his room full of Sith relics all types of reliefs, urns and statues and had his own personal Crimson Guardsmen all of which were in plain sight, plus the Republic logo changed to some kinda black sun or wheel symbolism, none of which the Jedi were alerted to somehow. He always seemed to be wearing very rich and elaborate clothing, while Valorum wore more plainer robes and probably the same one, Palpatine always changed his attire. The end of ROTS he just came straight out in his darkside red hooded robe with serpents on it which looked more like some religious ceremonial gown than a politicians attire where he goes onto mention how his looks have now changed, being left scared and disfigured due the attack on his life by the Jedi.

5. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Yeah, this crimeson robe I did noticed too. It marked a kind of break-through, sure. And his other robes appeared to me just normal, functional, nothing exciting but nevertheless of good quality. A cool understatemant I didn't realize that soon, maybe because the former chancellor Valorum appeared to me a kind of sloppy with his long fairy-tail-ending hair. As Palpatine would have put it: It depends on the view of the observer.

6. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi, Why So Serious,

would you please explain to me, in which way Maul and Savage are outdated?

Everytime, Savage was in danger, Maul forgot about the master-apprentice-thing and called him "brother" or "Savage". And he cared for Savage a kind of like Savage did to Feral before he became supersized. Savage enjoyed his live with Maul much more than he did with Ventress or Dooku, who really were abusive and cruel towards him. While Maul and Savage really worked like a team together and, of course, one is the leader in the team and Maul surely was more qualified than Savage. I also think that without Talzin's magics Savage wouldn't have been able or ruthless enough to follow his brother in his Sith-way of conquering a new world for them just from the scratch. It is obvious that both Maul and Savage after Maul's rescue couldn't just turn back to the Nightbrother's village to wait there until a Nighsister shows up looking for a mate during pairing-time (whenever this maybe [face_laugh] )

I guess while arriving in Mandalore there was even more freedom for Savage than before. He had his own battalion to command and I hope he could enjoy some everyday-normal life there. They didn't have to hide and run anymore. Though I still have no clue how long this rule of Maul over Mandalore actually did last.

Actually without Savage on his side, Maul would have never come that far and successful as he came. It took two to impress their allies and enemies and to control them. And this Duo Infernale Maul/Savage was just unstoppable till Sidious showed up again. Then Maul was a kind of broken and at this very moment of Savage's death it became obvious how much Maul really loved and needed his brother.

7. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    There was a lack of viscousness towards Opress after the lesson of who is the master and stronger of the two brothers, the alpha and beta, the master and the apprentice. Opress thought he could take Maul or didnt need him at this point cause , that he figured he was stil the same spider-legged weakling from Lotho Minor probably - and another failed apprentice like himself with sense in his mind of being equals cause they're brothers and essentially criminals on the run from everyone. Maul helped his brother up off the floor rather subject him to further abuse as would Sidious or Tyranus with force push, throw, choke or lightning ect. On Florum, Opress was badly wounded after losing his arm and was giving up fighting while Maul gathered morale by saying "trust me apprentice", this rejuvented Opress to carry on. Once Maul lost his cyber leg, Opress turned back to get him rather than leave him there to die, with one leg Maul would not of made it very far. After that and on Mandalore the two become as one. I think they were more than Sith, they were brothers. Sith would not care for failed apprentice or master, they'd leave them there to their own peril and fate and only care about selfishness and self survival.

8. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    So what exactly did Maul know about Palpatine’s “Grand Plan.” Does he know about Order 66? He somehow knows about Anakin. Did he know about Palpatine’s plans for Anakin from all the way back in the Phantom Menace when Anakin was discovered or was this knowledge from Maul’s dream?

cwustudent likes this.
  9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul's dream, showed him everything basically. But he pieced a lot of it together since he returned from Lotho obviously, "so it begun without me". And he was building towards his survival during the chaos almost since the start.

According to the Marvel comics and Maul's appearance in TCW he knew of the plan and galactic war and the numbers needed to kill the Jedi cause the Sith were but two, but not all the fine details which were kept secret. Some of which likely changed since Sifo-Dyas sought out the Kaminoan cloners but was betrayed by Dooku. There does not really seem to indication that the Jedi would be able to do anything anyway even if they had the Clones, since the Sith Shrine under the Jedi Temple remained intact and played a significant part in weakening the Jedi Order from within and probably other stuff too.

Much of the "grand plan" had to have been formulated by Darth Plaguis(and other Sith before him possibly all the way to Bane) before he was betrayed and murdered by Sidious in his sleep, the plan was thus inherited and alterations made to it by Sidious. On top of that Mother Talzin was a very early ally of Sidious', and the two of them exchanged abilities and secrets. So she had to have been privy, since originally these two were to have ruled the galaxy together before he betrayed her for the more powerful apprentice, Maul.

Maul and Tazlin already knew Dooku was gonna get replaced and they were closer than they appeared onscreen .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darkslayer and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  10. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    Also, how do the Jedi know that Maul is a “renegade”? I thought they thought he was still a Sith, even after Son of Dathomir.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Renegade in the sense that he's not fighting for the CIS and Dooku.

Darth Dnej and Sudooku like this.
  12. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    In Dark Disciples Quinlen Vos learns that Sidious is a real Sith Lord, which he likely communicated to the Jedi Council which logically means one of the other two dark siders is a "renegade" of the rule of two. Since Dooku is actually waging war on the Republic it's not a stretch for them to recognize that he is the real apprentice.

This also provides background for Obi-Wan explaining that the Jedi know Sidious manipulated TCW from the beginning.

13. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Gotta love the small growl he gives off before the hallway scene

like the whole situation is an inconvenience for him.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Maul's rampage scene is the first time in TCW I've actively routed against the clones and man the guy getting his arm severed gives the Citadel Arc a run for its money. I swear when the Astromech pops out to distract Rex for a second l can hear a clone screaming in agony in the deep background but I really have to listen for it.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  15. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Me too.

Ahsoka is like “I’m not helping you...” (but he was helping her by creating the distraction and splitting the Clones) Maul on the ship without a lightsaber just showed his ability to improvise, adapt and dominate. The only other time recently I’ve literally was rooting for a Sith was the RO Vader hallway scene. Him using doors as frisbees was simply glorious imagery and displays his cutthroat battle style

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I bet Maul actually pulls a twisted version of the Big Damn Heroes trope and brutally rescues Ahsoka and Rex next episode trying again to team up for an escape.

Sudooku and Darth Dnej like this.
  17. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    That would something I’d love to see

18. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    I still hate the lack of a believable explanation for him staying alive with half a body, but dang I think Maul is probably one of my favorite Star Wars characters. Him being evil but opposed to the main Star Wars evil forces has added some neat twists and unexpected turns that the Clone Wars really needed (because otherwise we know how it would end). Him slicing dudes it half with doors was so neatly macabre.

19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    This arc has proved more than ever that they made the best out of resurrecting Maul. He shouldn't have needed to be resurrected in the first place, but we've gotten a lot of interesting stories.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope someday down the line they have series of him between TCW and Solo. we might get a live action older Maul after Solo, But i love to know what he did for the first 10 years after TCW. Hope to see plenty of comics and books during this era. Maybe an animation series that shows the galaxy changes including the criminal underworld.

Darkslayer, Sudooku and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  21. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    I’d love a Maul video game that spans from The Clone Wars to right before hiding on Malachor with Vader as the final boss

Darkslayer and Sudooku like this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Don't forget the conversation in AOTC he had with Dooku.

23. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes, though the Jedi left that episode with the belief that Dooku was lying.
    It wasn't until Dark Disciples that they learned he was real, which explains their hypothesis that Dooku and Maul rounded out the rule of two.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    He's giving Ahsoka chances of free will to join him, he tested her when he fell and she saved him and she sets him loose fulfilling that test. He thought he had her but she quickly turned sour again after he complemented Sidous' brilliant play with the Clones. Ahsoka is more attached to Anakin and Rex. She unwisely chose Anakin last episode, and this episode she chooses Rex. As such she remains still uncommitted, her own anger and Jedi beliefs or loyalties hold her back from joining Maul . Thats basically how he treated Ezra on Rebels. He does not want a slave but an apprentice or brother/sister or friend. He might be seeking for the dyad. But if she does not join him I think he'd just move on, whether that means having to kill her or just go their separate ways. Also Ahsoka is problematic, she could likely leave Maul to die and escape. Her attitude this season seems to indicate this approach. Ahsoka on Rebels was fearful when she saw Maul, and he was all too happy to see her and the Inquisitors. To him its all game, he likes sport and entertainment. He's tapped into the cosmic Force.

Problem with Kenobi's dialogue this season, was that in the Dark Disciple storyline it was the Jedi Council wanted who to assassinate Dooku, and felt the only way to kill a Sith, was by at the hands of another Sith or Dark Sider. Hence why Quinlan trained as a Dark Sider by Ventress. In any case, no the Jedi did not want to interrogate Dooku. Quinlan learned of Darth Sidious, but his fall was too deep at that point where he was basically lost(until Ventress' sacrifice saves him), Jedi were out for him too, and Sidious remained elusive & chose to rescue Dooku after his fall at Quinlan/Enigma's hands. Also Yoda apparently never bothered to inform the council of his face to face run in with Sidious(Yoda arc). Unclear how Yoda could not tell Sidious was Palpatine with that face, body type and voice. Yoda also knew of the betrayals to come but just continued to play the game same as always.

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I loved what they've done with Maul. What a character - someone who knows his life has no purpose and he's ready for it to come to an end. Really dark and depressing stuff, which is perfect.

Sudooku likes this.