main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Official Maul in TCW Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Jan 21, 2013.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    If Maul was in the microseries, he would be in "force unleashed" mode like everyone else.

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Maul without a doubt. Anyone saying that TCW ruined his character is off base imo. I actually like Maul more now than I did in TPM because of the way they've handled his return. Calculated, cold, and a brilliant strategist. People somehow though manage to ignore all of this because 'omg, he talks too much! Totally ruined his character', well what's he supposed to do, run around the galaxy saying absolutely nothing at all? He had nothing to say in TPM because there was no reason for him to open his mouth other to obey his master. He had no reason to talk to Gunray, he had no reason to talk to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan during their duel. He has every reason to talk to Obi-Wan now, because he personally truly, and utterly hates everything that is Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan also feels the same way towards Maul, though Jedi do not hate - I suspect Obi-Wan's feelings towards Maul are the closet approximation towards hate a Jedi can get without ending up like Anakin over there.

Maul got sliced in half by Obi-Wan, denied his destiny by ruling by Sidious's side, cast from his powers, abilities, and memories from him and damned him to be an animal. The only thing Maul had to live for was taken from him by Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Obi-Wan had to watch behind an energy beam as Maul impaled Qui-Gon, the closet approximation to a father Obi-Wan had, a wound so deep even 12 years later, when Maul taunted Obi-Wan about it, we see him give into moments of anger. Further more, Satine's homeworld and Satine will be attacked by Maul.

I am reminded somewhat of the film adaptation of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The albino Orc and the dwarf, Thorin, had a similar setup. Thorin believed the Orc was dead years before from his injuries he gave to him, only to return a greater threat before to Bilbo, and the rest of the dwarves.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Depends how I look at it .

IMO:

Who has TCW handled better? Maul
    Who should be handled better? Grievous (Maul shouldn't even be alive)
    Which do I like better? Maul (due to how TCW has handled him and dropped the ball with Grievous)
    Who is more powerful? Maul

Basically, IMO Grievous sucks and I don't like him. But that's not how it should be IMO. Within the context of the story it just doesn't make sense to portray him as Lucas has chosen to. Palpatine needs emergency powers which means he needs a credible threat and Grievous should be that threat that travels from system to system pwning the Republic, justifying the extended state of emergency and giving credibility to the idea that the senate will vote to continue the war and that there shall not be peace with the CIS for so long as he is alive (i.e. he's done enough horrible things to piss oh so many people off that they will never negotiate with the CIS so long as he is leading their armies).

He also has potential for character development.

Maul by contrast had no reason to really come back, stretches suspension of disbelief especially when you bring him back as Spider-Maul and try to justify it as "oh, his anger did that." Yet despite all that, they've done some really cool things with Maul IMO and to me he has become the best TCW villain thus far, which doesn't seem at all right to me.

I'm OK with Maul being around now, but it's time that Grievous (and Dooku too) get developed and get treated with as much attention, if not more than Maul.

4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Darth Maul. No contest. He's far more intelligent and calculating.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  5. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Some ancient Sith have survived decapitation, so surviving get chopped in half at the waist isn't much of a stretch

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

I knew it.

7. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah, it doesn't work like that for me either. Maul surviving stretches my suspension of disbelief to its limits. I'm givin' it all she's got. But a guy that exists as a head in a jar belongs on Futurama, and does nothing to ease my suspension of disbelief.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    If you're speaking of Maw

[​IMG]

he's different. When people have spoken of Maul, there does seem to be some agreement that it would have been different if Maul "died" in TPM and came back in AOTC. It would then be apparent that it was likely pre-planned or at least he'd die at the end of one movie and come right back in the next. It's different when he was quite clearly meant to be dead, since there is no hint of him in the subsequent films. Only for him to pop up randomly 4 seasons into a show that itself was just an afterthought while Lucas was finishing up the films.

Maw gets cut in half, is surrounded by allies. Shows up later in the same game alive, floating around (which IMO looked entirely ridiculous, but I could accept it as good fun in a game) as a legless Dark Jedi. Maul gets cut in half falls down a random abyss Lucas chose to put into the center of Naboo and apparently by Lucas' own words did all of this to eliminate any doubt that he was dead. Only for him to show up over a decade later - both in and out of universe - in a cartoon, on a different planet, and as a garbage spider.

**Meanwhile Grievous who is entirely relevant to the plot and deserves some development given the zero he gets in the films is just salt in the wound, as he's repeatedly shown to be incompetent. And Filoni claims to have tried defending Grievous from indignities such as getting owned by gungans, and I believe the sentiment he paraphrased from Lucas was pretty much "the fans will get over it."**

10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I tend to go by the rule, if you don't see the body then you can't confirm the kill. You're right about Grevious getting **** on at every turn . He's supposed to be a brilliant strategist and warrior, but he hasn't shown it

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Force-user/Sith Lord > spinny-wrist cyborg

12. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Not guaranteed. You'd think the same were true of said cyborg and Gungans. Or the Empire and Ewoks.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In that case, nobody on Alderaan died.

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Smh. I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I'm not an idiot to think that they survived a planet exploding. You don't have to take what I say and blow it out of proportion.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sarcastic pretty often. In this case I was demonstrating the extreme lengths to which that statement could be taken, which is why I don't abide by it. Although at the lengths to which some Star Wars writers have taken survivability, I honestly wouldn't put it past one of them to write a story about someone who clung to a flying piece of the planet and floated around in deep space for a few hours before landing on a random asteroid that happened to have a medical facility with oxygen tanks.

In my mind, dude gets sliced in half, dude died, as it's kind of hard to live without intestines.

I feel the same way about a character falling into a sarlacc pit and a character falling into the reactor core of a superweapon. I'd rather the writers not try to **** with my head. Either show me that they survived, or I'll assume they died and we can all leave it that way.

16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I see. Maybe I'll add a disclaimer to that statement next time I decide to use it in case I run into more sarcastic people or regular people who don't realize that there are limits to it. ;)

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I wanna see Sidious send Grievous to kill Maul and that'd be how Maul dies! Not only does Grievous get his reputation back, but just imagine how intense that battle would be! This could be an episode at the end of an arc in season six.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Grievous killed:
    Daakman Barrek, Sha'a Gi, Tarr Seirr, Nadhar Vebb, B'dard Tone, Soon Bayts, Adi Gallia, Roron Corobb, Foul Moudama, Roth-Del Masona, Waldan Bridger, Soon Bayts, Pablo-Jill,L'lacielo Sageon,B'ink Utrila, Nahdar Vebb 27 Jedi above Belderone and many more.

Maul killed:
    Darsha Assant and her Master Anoon Bondara, Qui-Gon Jinn, Finn Entray, Bruu Jun-Fan, unidentified Nikto Jedi, Grohto, Ko Solok and Salmara.

Grievous wins, hands down.

19. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That would be an awesome way for Maul to die... For Kenobi it would be like "The Enemy of my enemy is now my friend".

Grievous wins. Everybody knows that... by Jedi kills he wins hands down.
    This thread is irrelevant, Grievous will still be more awesome.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Adi Gallia was killed by Savage earlier in the season so you can scratch her name off Grevious' list.

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Maul is hindered by the fact that he lost the second battle he had after revealing himself to the Jedi and then laid dormant (i.e. insane Spider-Maul) for a decade, while Grievous has been active in the war. Also if you want to go by losses, I'm pretty sure Grievous is just all kinds of embarrassing suckage (how many times has he ran from Obi-Wan now?) compared to Maul. Hence his reputation as a coward**.

**Again, should not be the case, IMO. But it is what it is.

22. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Obi-Wan has ran from Grievous too.:p

Also Maul ran from pirates, Grievous didn't.

23. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    To be fair in their last encounter in the young jedi arc, Kenobi fled.
    On Kamino I'd say Grievous had the upper hand but the platform collapsed so either way draw.
    Malevolence Kenobi fled.
    Grievous Intrigue Grievous fled at start to return to ship, but in tube he was just getting out of there before vacuum of space.
    Deserter Grievous had to get out there as no real force was with him, but I believe he was winning that duel.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  24. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Also Maul had plenty of time to kill many Jedi before he was bisected by Obi-Wan.

25. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Given the "at last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi" I'm inclined to think that Sidious would not allow him to risk exposing himself to the Jedi prior to that.