main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The Official Meet and Greet Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Nice to meet you John.....glad to have another with a world reknowned name like John!!

John T. a.k.a. darthtoddy

2. JD Jedi

JD Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    Considering how common it's "supposed" to be, I'm always amazed there aren't more of us about.

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I was waiting for the obligatory joke there, JD. (I'll have to resort to calling you "JD" again, since we now have two Johns. We have two Tims, too.)

I think it's time we had a Star Destroyer named "Castrator".

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Crikey!

JD- great pics. Loved the paper walker and tie-fighter. The shots of the SW exhibit were great, too.

5. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    That trip to Sydney was one of the SW highlights of my life. One VERY long day. I saw some people virtually RUSHING their kids through!! I know one bloke who saw the whole thing in less than 40 minutes. I managed to stretch it out to nearly five hours. Even then I was reluctant to go. I'd had enough, but I just didn't really want to leave it all 'coz I knew the chances of seeing this sort of stuff again would be rare. Also I wanted to wander around the 'touristy' bit of Sydney and snap a few piccys.

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Well, since I've been popping in on threads for about a week now, I found this one and figured I should fill this out instead of working this afternoon.

-Joe

General Star Wars stuff:

How long have you been a SW fan?
    All my life. Being born in 1973, I was 4 when Star Wars premiered, so I don't really remember a time w/o Star Wars.

Describe your first SW movie experience: Which movie? When? Where? etc.
    ESB - Jefferson City, MO. Ramada 4 Cinema. We got there a little late (as usual w/ my Dad), but it was magical. I hadn't seen Star Wars yet, but I knew the story from all of the story books (with read-along cassette tapes!) and comics that I had.

But when they re-released Star Wars between Empire and Jedi, I was there! My Mom took me and we finally saw it on the big screen. It was fantastic!

Which is your favorite SW movie?

Star Wars! (OK, A New Hope)

Favorite character?

Tough one... it changes. When I was growing up, Han Solo. But after watching the Special Editions in '97, I think I'll go with Luke Skywalker. For all the crap I give him about being a whiny farm-boy, he was one bad@$$ Jedi Knight in ROTJ!
    EU - Quinlan Voss or Ulic-Qel Droma

Other SW interests? (collecting, gaming, costuming, fan fiction, books/comics/EU, etc.)
    Toys - I have a bunch of figures thumbtacked to my walls, and other toys littered around my office - Rancor, Speeder bike, Dewback, Ronto, etc.
    Comics - Dark Horse rules! In fact, I'm a moderator of the Joh Ostrander Message Board
    http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/ostrander/
    feel free to stop by if you like his work.
    Would love to start costuming, but have no talent whatsoever.

About you:

What other interests/hobbies do you have outside of SW?
    Comics, books, movies, TV, video games, music, all sorts of stuff.

Favorite TV show(s)?
    Babylon 5 (fave TV show of all time)
    Buffy/Angel, Firefly, Simpsons, The Tick, The Young Ones, Coupling, Star Trek (DS9 especially), Cowboy Bebop, Monk, (the list goes on... but not much that is currently on)

Favorite movie(s)?
    LotR, Kevin Smith's flicks, Galaxy Quest, The Blues Brothers, Unbreakable, Almost Famous, Say Anything,
    The Evil Dead Series, Bubba Ho-Tep, Spider-Man (1 & 2),
    (the list goes on even longer)

Favorite book or author?
    Peter David, Andrew Vachss, Sherman Alexie, JRR Tolkein, Vonnegut, etc.

Favorite song or artist?
    Todd Snider, Iron Maiden, Delbert McClinton, The Clash, Waylon Jennings, The Blues Brothers, The Reverend Horton Heat, Danzig, Sloppy Seconds, Skid Row, Aerosmith, etc.

A NEW ONE - Favorite Comedian
    Eddie Izzard, Lewis Black, Ron White, Denis Leary, Jay Mohr, Robin Williams, The Frantics, etc.

Favorite quote?
    Star Wars - "Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me." - Luke Skywalker
    Non SW Movie - "We're on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues
    Non movie - "I am created Shiva, the Destroyer, Death, the shatterer of worlds." -Bhagavad Gita

Favorite holiday?
    Halloween (I like it so much, it's when I got married!)

Optional:

First name?
    Joe

Age?

Do you live in Memphis or one of the suburbs?
    Henning, TN - 50 miles North of Downtown on Hwy 51. Between Covington and Ripley; childhood home of Alex Haley.

Profession or college major?
    M.S. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology. Which means that I get to do a lot of survey research for First Tennessee.

Misc:
    Married to a beautiful woman who is also a geek like us. I even proposed to her at the front of the theater before "Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope: The Special Edition" started in 1997. I hope to get her on these boards, but she is busy (she's a writer trying to get published) and message boards tend to distract her.
    Born in MO, moved to Memphis in 1998 for a job, moved North in 1999 when we bought our house, and looking forward to meeting you guys and gals.

7. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    *raises glass of Beru's blue milk*

Joooooooooe!!

8. DarthToddy

Jan 22, 2004
    Welcome Joe....you live near my grandmother.....to cool!!!

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    WELCOME, Joe and Mrs! :D

You're north of Covington, right? I graduated from Munford High....had the Covington purple spray paint on my red band uniform to prove it. [face_laugh]

10. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    DarthToddy Cool. I'll keep the surround sound down so as not to disturb her. ;)

Trace North of Covington, South of Ripley, East of Fort Pillow State Park - hey there's an idea for a meeting. We all head down there during the Civil War re-enactments in full costume and say, "Hi! We're with the Rebels." :D Or, y'know, just a picnic and nature/history hike.
    I drive through Munford/Atoka whenever I drive in to work. (luckily, my boss lets me work from home often) One of my wife's favorite things to do when she was taking classes at DSCC was to annoy a classmate from Atoka by asking her, "How are things in Munford?" Apparently people don't like to have those two towns confused.

Steve Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve!

Thanks for the warm welcome, all.

-Joe

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    As in "On the mooooon.... with Steeeeve"?

Welcome to the SMT, Joe. Sounds like you'll fit in nicely. You and the wife need to come on down next weekend and join us for the Classic Trilogy Weekend.
    You're not too far from us. We're here in Millington, and so is the TIMAX screen.

12. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Hey. Been meaning to find out about a SW group around here ever since we moved here about a year ago.

So, here's my intro:

How long have you been a SW fan?
    All my life, but it didn't really become a lifestyle until Ep1.

Describe your first SW movie experience: Which movie? When? Where? etc.
    I don't know how old I was and I don't even know if it was me or if it was my brother (I remember it as being him), but the first time we saw Star Wars in the theater, back in one of the re-releases--when Vader steps onto the Tantive IV, my little brother jumps up and yells at the top of his lungs, "That's Darth Vader!"

Which is your favorite SW movie?
    ESB

Favorite character?
    Jedi in general. Obi-Wan, Aayla Secura, Mace Windu...
    Bossk--he was one of my favorite figures when I was a kid
    R2--Astromechs are sooooo cool.
    Vader
    Maul
    Stormtroopers
    AT-AT driver--another one of my favorites as a kid.

Other SW interests? (collecting, gaming, costuming, fan fiction, books/comics/EU, etc.)
    Just starting a Jedi costume
    I collect 3.75" action figures and accessories, but am only occasionally a completist--Have focuses on Bossk, Vader, D. Maul, R2 and astromechs, and Jedi in general
    Just got into Comics
    May get into Star Wars Mini Games--just one Bossk and R2 off ebay. I have a friend who just started starwarsminigames.com

About you:

What other interests/hobbies do you have outside of SW?
    Art, Music, Camping, Reading, Soccer.

Favorite TV show(s)?
    Currently? Gilmore Girls, Smallville and West Wing
    ever? Clone Wars Cartoons, Dukes of Hazzard, Scooby Doo, Cosby...

Favorite movie(s)?
    SW in order: ESB, ANH, AOTC, ROTJ, TPM
    Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, 16 Candles, Better Off Dead, Say Anything, Ferris Beuller's Day Off, LOTR, Harry Potter, Cinema Paradiso...

Favorite book or author?
    SW: Traitor by Matt Stover
    Non-SW: LOTR and Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban
    Non-Sci-Fi/Fantasy: 3/4 of the books by Dan Brown

Favorite song or artist?
    U2
    Right now I am also into Blue Man Group, Venus Hum, Brand New, The Strokes...

A NEW ONE - Favorite Comedian
    Jerry Clower

Favorite quote?
    Star Wars - "You must do what you feel is right, of course."
    Non SW Movie - "I go now to my fathers, in whose presence I am now worthy to dwell." - Theoden, ROTK
    Non movie -"Art is a lie that makes you realize the truth" - Pablo Ruiz Picasso

Favorite holiday?
    May the Fourth be with you!

Optional:

First name?
    Jacob

Age?

Do you live in Memphis or one of the suburbs?
    Cordova

Profession or college major?
    MFA candidate in Sculpture at UofM

Married?
    Yes--Moonpie is unfortunately not a big fan.

Kids?
    2 boys, 3.5 and almost 2

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Welcome to Memphis FanForce, Jacob! Be sure to join us for this weekend's Drive-In Night.

14. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Welcome, Jacob! Always happy to meet another Matt Stover fan. :D

15. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Hey Jacob!
    I'm a newbie too, but I've horned in on all the discussions, so jump right in.

Better Off Dead is another one of my favorites - "What's a little boy like you doing with big boy smut like this? "

"My little brother got his arm stuck in the microwave. So my mom had to take him to the hospital. My grandma dropped acid this morning, and she freaked out. She hijacked a busload of penguins. So it's sort of a family crisis. Bye!"

"Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that. "

and, of course,

"I want my two dollars!"

-Joe

16. DarthToddy

Jan 22, 2004
    Glad you could find your way here Jacob.....be sure to try and come out this weekend if you can!!

John

17. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Thanks all.
    Thanks again, John, for lettin' me know about this.
    I am going to try to make it on Saturday.
    Is there a map up here somewhere, or can someone pm me directions from G-Town Pkwy?

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Jacob: For full details about both Friday and Saturday nights' Drive-In event, check out our website here.

There is a link with directions at the bottom of the announcement. I've included detailed maps and my phone number, just in case. You can also check out more about our group while you're there.

19. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Had someone at the haunt ask me about the SMT and how to join. I told them POST! and show up to some events, like the movies this weekend! Apparently they have a friend who is a big fan and picked up the DVD's when they came out yesterday. I asked them, "Wanna seen 'em on the big screen..?!"

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    You go, Lin! Nothing like word-of-mouth to bring 'em in.

I wish I would have joined Rhonda at the Cordova Walmart Monday night for the DVD release. Apparently I could've passed out quite a few pens to fellow fans.

21. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hey,

Since the coffee shop has uh disappeared...(Any more word on that?) I noticed thanks to Trace that alot of the mingions have made there way over here..(Hellooooooooo Memphis!)

So here goes.

General Star Wars stuff:

How long have you been a SW fan? Oooh I have to say 96ish (I think it was the VA blizzard of 96 I think exactly)

Describe your first SW movie experience: Which movie? When? Whre? etc. A New Hope, in the middle of a Blizzard..nothing to do, and after horridly making fun of a bunch of my friends about the movie (it was middle school in my defense) they made me watch them..(interestingly enough, the girl who lent it to me wouldn't give me the "real" video tapes--they were too precious, instead she gave me these taped off cable versions..should I have gotten a clue of what I was getting into..hmm)

Which is your favorite SW movie? Empire..Empire..and (AOTC? Ducks flying bricks, just kidding)

Favorite character? Tough choice, Han--b/c he's cool..but I don't think I really have a favorite..

Other SW interests? (collecting, gaming, costuming, fan fiction, books/comics/EU, etc.) EU/Fanfic writing

About you:

What other interests/hobbies do you have outside of SW? Well i'm a history buff, love museums et al. I read a lot (a lot more now with Graduate school taking over) ...I've played the Violin since 4th grade...(so 13-14 years now)...Watch some TV

Favorite TV show(s)? At the moment, West Wing, ER, JAG and Alias are my constants..I do watch Firefly DVD's a lot..

Favorite movie(s)? Star Wars!, Ever After, LOTR Stuff, The Cutting Edge, Love, Actually...(You see a pattern, yes i'm a Sci-Fi/Romantic Comedy Junkie)

Favorite book or author? Tough one, depends on the subject..I actually can't remember what I put up before..

Zahn, in EU
    Michael Crichton (specifically Timeline)
    Love JK Rowling..
    Janet Evanovich...
    Used to like Clancy, not so much anymore--

Favorite song or artist? Losing my Religion by R.E.M. (but looking at my playlist i've got a mix of u2, matchbox 20, broadway musicals, classical music and movie soundtracks)

Favorite quote? At the moment? From Marc Bloch, a French Historian who died in the French Resistance--" When the pasions of the past blend with the prejudices of the Present, human reality is reduced to a picture in Black and White" (p140 The Historian's Craft

Favorite holiday? Diwali (Hindu Festival of Lights)

Optional:

First name? Priya

Age? 22

Do you live in Memphis or one of the suburbs? Nope

Profession or college major? Graduate Student at American U, just got my BA from The College of W&M in VA

Misc: I live in the Nations Capital, and have for most of my life..

:)

22. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    <<There is a link with directions at the bottom of the announcement. I've included detailed maps and my phone number, just in case. You can also check out more about our group while you're there.>>

You mean I went to all that detective work, picking up a clue here, a thread of evidence there, discovering bits and pieces Sherlock Holmes himself would be proud of to track you guys down...........

....... only to have you put the details in a website a couple of months later????

(OK, OK, I know I just could've asked ... but that would've taken all the fun out of it!!)

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Priya! [:D] Welcome aboard!!

(We go waaaaay back..... :D)

JD: We're still impressed. Although, it's a little unnerving to know that someone on the other side of the world can find where you live just from conversations on a SW message board..... [face_laugh]

24. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    the coffee shop has uh disappeared...(Any more word on that?)

Actually, there's a new board here, hosted courtesy of Tim, if you want to check it out:

http://www.suspiciousmindtrick.net/phpBB2/phpBB2/

25. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    ooooh..ok..i'm going there..(but i'll try and stick around here too)

:)

There, registered..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.