main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The Official Meet and Greet Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Jedi

JD Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    <<it's a little unnerving to know that someone on the other side of the world can find where you live just from conversations on a SW message board>>

Trace, it started out as a bit of fun, but it is scary to think of how many hints are unintentionally given away in simple conversation.

It took a bit of work, which gave me an excuse to reminisce a bit. A few characters been and gone.

I knew you guys were in Memphis, as well as a couple of other bits and pieces but Tim gave me the final clue when he mentioned somehting about his lights and being near an airport.

A bit of searching through the internet with phone books and maps and it was scary to know how easy it was. I'd narrowed it down to two options and I think (typically) I picked the wrong one first.

Given the bread crumbs I've scattered all over the boards it probably wouldn't be too hard to track down where I am, which give me the shivers when I think about my eldest daughter now mucking about on the net.

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    It does make you think, doesn't it, JD? Considering some of the nut jobs I've seen on these boards, and after some of the stories I've heard, I'm surprised we haven't had a tragedy here at TF.N. Especially after reading some posts by folks who definitely do not have both feet planted firmly in reality! We have some folks around here who have forgotten that these are just movies.

Dear God.... my address and phone number is on the internet....

I should just paint a target on my back and scream "Victim here! Victim here!"

:p

Glad that you did track us down, JD! Now we just gotta get you over here for a visit, or get us down under.

3. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hmm..Lets see..how many of you know where I live..and then..my first name...

i live with my parents so unless i've mentioned my last name it won't be that easy..
    but there are ways to figure it out!

4. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    General Star Wars stuff:

How long have you been a SW fan?
    Since about 1979.

Describe your first SW movie experience: Which movie? When? Where? etc.
    I remember seeing ANH on HBO when I was 7. I loved Leia's hairdo!

Which is your favorite SW movie?
    Currently, it is ROTJ. I can't wait for ROTS. That may end up being my favorite. We'll see.

Favorite character?
    So many to choose from. I like Leia in ROTJ, Padme in AOTC, but my favorite is ROTJ Luke in black. That is until ROTS comes out. Then it may be Evil Anakin before the Vadar suit.

Other SW interests? (collecting, gaming, costuming, fan fiction, books/comics/EU, etc.)
    I really don't have anything else outside the movies and now, SMT.

About you:

What other interests/hobbies do you have outside of SW?
    I am a member of the National Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Club and secretary in a local collectors club. I also collect Barbie everything.

Favorite TV show(s)?
    Survivor, Big Brother, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Monster House, MASH, Simpsons, and recently began watching Joan of Arcadia.

Favorite movie(s)?
    Rocky Horror Picture Show, Ford Fairlane, Beauty and the Beast, and Return of the Jedi.

Favorite book or author?
    Stephen King-The Stand
    John Grisham-The Testament and Runaway Jury
    JK Rowling-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Favorite song or artist?
    I have too many to list here, but I will say 1 of my favorite CD's is Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits.

Favorite quote?
    "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate...leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."

Favorite holiday?
    Currently its Halloween. (32 years old and still plays with Barbie's and dresses up for Halloween)
    Christmas is a close 2nd.

Optional:

First name?
    Kelly

Age?

Do you live in Memphis or one of the suburbs?
    Proud to live in Oakland, Fayette County, TN.

Profession or college major?
    I thought I wanted to be a psychologist, but there is way to much schooling involved.(Never was a great student) I am currently the shipping clerk in a warehouse. So far, I like it.

Misc: I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 11 years. (People often comment how we look more like brother and sister than married) I met the SMT crew at RMH Big Scoop Ice Cream Fest 2004. Glad I turned around and saw that light saber. Ya'll are a great bunch of peeps.

5. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Favorite book or author?
    Stephen King-The Stand

=D=

6. Kopryn

Kopryn Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2004
    Um...hi. I just joined the boards, saw the thread and thought I'd say that.

General Star Wars stuff:

Literally longer than I remember. I've always known Star Wars.

Hard to do that since I don't remember. The first one I remember is Return of the Jedi when I was I guess eight or so, but its a very fuzzy memory.

Return of the Jedi

Favorite character?
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (I love both the late Sir ALec Guinness, and Ewan McGregor)

Other SW interests? (collecting, gaming, costuming, fan fiction, books/comics/EU, etc.)
    I was into the RPG for a while (my screen name came from the character I played actually), but not any more. I love the books, especially New Jedi Order, I tend to lean more towards books set after the movies.

About you:

oh, plenty: paranormal phenomena(ghosts, psychic, UFO's, ect...), anime, writing, Japanese, reading, TV(yes, I consider TV a hobby), just starting into photography.

Favorite TV show(s)?
    heh, would you like the short list or the long?
    uh, InuYasha, Charmed, Stargate(SG1 and Atlantis), InuYasha, Gilmore Girls, CSI, Maximum Exposure, InuYasha, and Blackadder(I'm in love with BBC America). That's the short list.

Favorite movie(s)?
    Other than SWs? Gattaca, Returner, Ever After, The Mummy, South Park the Movie, I Robot, Ghostbusters, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Kill Bill Vols. 1 and 2, ect, ect, ect...

Favorite book or author?
    Oh, Gregory Maguire, and Issac Asimov are basically my favorite authors, but that is subject to change w/ my mood.
    I have a hard time picking a favorite book: Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, NJO: Star By Star, The Magician Trilogy by Trudi Carnavan, are the ones at the top currently.

Favorite song or artist?
    The Barenaked Ladies "For You" (they're my favorite band too)

Favorite quote?
    "To the grim poor there need be no pour quoi tale about where evil arises; it just arises; it always is. One never learns how the witch became wicked, or whether that was the right choice for her, is it ever the right choice? Does the devil ever stuggle to be good again, or if so is he not a devil?"
    -Oatsie/Gregory Maguire Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

and
    "Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather strap"

"Lately the only thing keeping me from being a serial killer is my distaste for manual labor" -Dilbert/Scott Adams

"Is it a bad sign if you spend the day wondering why there are no laws against what you do for a living?" -Dilbert/Scott Adams

Favorite holiday?
    Christmas

Optional:

First name?

Beth

Age?

East Memphis, Fox Meadows area

Projectionist and Asst. Manager at a movie theater

Misc:
    I found this place through Meetup.com, Tim(?)'s the organiser(Bad Spelers of the World Untie!) for the local SW Meetup Group. Hopefully I can make it to the movie night.

7. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Welcome aboard Beth.......we are usually dead here on the boards on the weekends, but everyone I'm sure will say "HELLO"!!! during the week :)

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Welcome to Memphis FanForce, Beth! Glad you made it over from the Meetup site! Come on over and join us at this weekend's Drive-In Night.

9. kellrob

Sep 15, 2004
    Beth,

We are fairly new to the group, too. Welcome!

Hey Tim! I couldn't for the life of me figure out your new signature until I went to Target and saw "BOOBAH" costumes. What is that?

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Welcome aboard, Beth! :D

11. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Welcome, Beth! I am pretty new myself. I'm having a lot of fun.

Hope I get to meet you at TimmyCon (I'll be the one in the Corduroy Jedi Robe :p )

12. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Hiya Beth! Welcome to the JC and to Memphis FF.

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Kelly: "Boobah" is this mind-numbing kids TV show on PBS Kids Network. It'll make your brain bleed, it's so bad. People who thought "Barney" and "Teletubbies" were bad have yet to see this show. And as for those little bulbous, bald-headed characters... I don't even think I should get started about them on these boards, never mind what I think they look like.

14. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Between the Teletubbies, Poke-bloody-Mon, Wiggles, and now Boobah, children's TV can truly be classed as a cruel and unusual form of punishment.

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Ok, I confess.... I kinda like The Wiggles. They're like Mr. Rogers with a beat.

But PokemebloodyMon, Barney, and Teletubbies make my brain bleed. And don't even get me started on Yugi-oh and all of those other Anime card games-turned-toon!

I think Cartoon Network violated the Geneva Convention this weekend by showing every episode of Scooby Doo ever made. I think that's why I slipped into a coma yesterday.

16. WonderPants

Mar 6, 2003
    Ok, I confess.... I kinda like The Wiggles.

//turns to audience

And that, everyone, is the moment that you must call the nice men in white coats. They will give these unfortunate people the best care available.

What?

Electric shock treatment? Never! Hahahahahaha!!

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Electric shock therapy didn't work. For the first fifteen or so hours afterward I thought I was Barry Manilow, and when I did finally remember who I was, I was twice as crazy as before. Must've been from singing "At The Cocacabana" once too much.

18. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    ELECTRIC SHOCK THERAPY WOULDN'T WORK ON THE EMPEROR! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN RETURN OF THE JEDI?!?! ;)

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    I, too, had no idea what Boobah was when I read Tim's sig. Then I Googled it, found the website, and I understood why you would drink... And then I saw the toys at Wal-Mart a couple of days later. I couldn't resist pushing the "Try Me" button on half of them. I then ran.

As for the newer cartoons, I thought the card games were bad enough, then along comes Beyblade, where they are using tops fer cryin' outloud. I liked one blogger's idea of buying up a bunch of surplus hula hoops and painting japanese characters on them and starting the next big trend. Or jacks.

-Joe

20. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Welcome Beth...always welcome to have another "pathetic life form"....LOL I kidd I kidd!!!

21. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Welcome Beth from the long distance members of the SMT all the way from central Arkansas. Henry, Julia & Tre'. If we can tmeet at this drive in hope to see ya at TimmyCon.

22. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    I reckon I never posted my stuff - Still looking forward to having an opportunity to come to a "Drive-In
    Night" sometime...

General Star Wars stuff:

Since my first R2D2, Darth Vader, Luke action figures!

I can't remember last year much less when I was 7!

Tough one - PM -

Favorite character?
    JAR JAR - JUST KIDDING!
    Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Boba Fett, R2D2

slight collection, books, former gamer - who has time anymore!

About you:

Haunted House - Costuming (not a fur freak - but I do mascots for kids) -

Favorite TV show(s)?
    Angel, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, CSI, X-men (animated)

Favorite movie(s)?
    Star Wars Series (duh) Hellraiser Series, Mad Max Series, Nightmare on Elm Street Series, X-Men

Favorite book or author? R.A. Salvatore (Any books about Drizzt Do'Urden) Death Gate Cycle (Weis & Hickman) Dragonlance Series (Weis & Hickman)

Favorite song or artist?
    Great White, Y&T, Leatherwolf, Styx, Saliva, Good Charlotte, Slaughter, Metallica, Danger Danger, Poison, Motley Crue, Bulletboys, Velvet Revolver,

Favorite quote?
    God granted me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public." Walt Disney

"Somehow I can't believe there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C's. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage, and Constancy and the greatest of these is Confidence. When you believe a thing, believe it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably." Walt Disney

Favorite holiday?
    HALLOWEEN

Optional:

First name? Todd

Age? 34

Use to live in Bartlett - Now Chattanooga

B/S Major - Sales Manager HVAC Controls Company

Nightmarez...Stage Fright creator -

23. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Welcome Todd.....nice name to by the way :D hope to see you around at a meeting!!!

John T.

24. kellrob

Sep 15, 2004
    Favorite song or artist?
    Great White, Y&T, Leatherwolf, Styx, Saliva, Good Charlotte, Slaughter, Metallica, Danger Danger, Poison, Motley Crue, Bulletboys, Velvet Revolver,

Dude! My husband and I need to meet you! We love the bands named here! We love the 80's hair bands and heavy metal. We have driven to Nashville several times to see Poison. Best show was with Warrant and surprise guest Cinderella. Let us know when you will be in town.

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Todd: R.A. Salvatore has written a couple of Star Wars books, including the novelization of Episode II (which was better than the film.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.