main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Michael P. Kube-McDowell Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Michael is author of 'The Black Fleet Crisis' trilogy.

Jedi Council Forums Username:

Discuss Michael's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, Michael might drop by from time to time!

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Has anyone else read his book, The Trigger?

3. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Loved his perspective on the NR military and it's government. This book really helped to show that the Alliance had turned into the New Republic by giving it a credible working government and military.

4. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    his was one of the more political books which was great. i loved the intrigue and drayson was an awesome character. he brought life and fire to leia and made me feel outrage at some of the senetors, something few have done.

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I too enjoyed his insight into the military and the New Republic Government...

6. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    K-Mac is my favorite SW author. Black Fleet Crisis = teh cool!

I hope to be getting another one of his books soon, for my birthday.

7. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Is there anyway we can get him on the forums. I loved BFC. But there are a few questions id like to ask him (like the Akanah plot, and if it influenced by the announcement of the prequels).

8. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I think it was written way before the prequels were announced.

9. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    K-Mac's non-SW books:
    After the Flames (Allied Stars, Vol 11), published in 1985 (this is an anthology, one of the three stories of which is by K-mac)

Emprise (The Trigon Disunity, Book 1), published in 1985

Enigma (The Trigon Disunity, Book 2), published in 1987

Empery (The Trigon Disunity, Book 3), published in 1987

Alternities, published in 1988

The Quiet Pools, published in 1990

Exile, published in 1993

Isaac Asimov's Robot City, published in 1999

The Trigger, co-written with Arthur C. Clarke in 2000

Vectors, published in 2002

10. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    The Trigger actually looks really good. I might have to buy it.

11. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    The Trigger was interesting, if a bit slow at times. It's FAR from action packed, but goes a lot more in-depth about political ramifications and whatnot. It's worth the read.

I got a couple of the dates wrong in the list above, but everything's in the right order.

12. DevanJedi

DevanJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 1999
    Yeah, the Trigger is really quite interesting; though his Star Wars books aren't as much appreciated as they deserve to be.

I did an interview with him here here; speaking about both the Star Wars books and The Trigger.

13. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Let it be said here that I am guessing he is writing NJO HC#5.

14. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I really hope you're guessing right, IATDS. I loved the BFC. Well, except the Luke-Akanah plotline that is. But even that had very interesting points and was especially good at the beginning.

15. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Kube is underrated. He's among my favorite SW authors. I love the BFC.

16. BabyJediGirl

BabyJediGirl Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    I didn't mind MPM's writing, though I thought that this particular trilogy was just 'all right'. The storyline was great, and I enjoyed that :) The only thing I particularly didn't like was the characterization of Leia, I found her to be almost too severe...it seemed too against her nature.

17. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Michael is a fantastic writer, but IMHO failed to research enough for the BFC. The simple fact that he made a fleet carrier built at a site nobody has heard of and will hear of again really made me mad.

He also had to go create all these new species, ships, and planet, he didn't do a great job combining other works.

18. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Good point ChissDude, though with the release of the Essential Chronology, it makes perfect sense why he did (fleet wise). It is the expanded universe anyways, and he did expand it considerably. I liked how he described Coruscant.

19. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Yeah that's true, Kansas, he had every right to, but he lost consistancy with characters like Fey'lya during the time, which IMHO, is not good.

I still have a problem with where the Interpred(spelling?) was built. It mentions a shipyard with a "H", but know other authors ever took that little tidbit. That will come back to haunt in the NJO...

20. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Hakassi. There are several shipyards. KDY has yards all over the galaxy.

21. DarthDave

DarthDave Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2000
    I haven't read the book in a couple of years and now I gave them away but the funniest part I remember is when (and i think it is htis trilogy, not the corellian trilogy? Admiral Ackbar's code to get into someplace were all Hebrew letters. I recognized them. zayin, maybe lamed, and some others.

Had to mention that. :)

22. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The BFC was some of the best written novels in the Bantam era. They truely captured what the feel of politics and the military should be...

The Lando/ Vagabond plot was very good, Lobot and C-3P0 had some great moment together.

Lukes plot sucked.

The Yevetha were a great break from the Empire, and it was refreshing for a new Villan.

And poor Liea, votes of no confidence and what happened to Han, poor, poor Liea.

And one thing In Lucenos NJO duology was the BFC characters popping in, taht was cool. THough that Nylykerka fella, from analyst to Cheif, If he become CoS, watch out Clancy!

23. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree. Until the AoC duology Id thought that we'd seen the last of General Ab'at (sp).

24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, I'm glad Luceno brought back some of K-Mac's characters. They were pretty interesting.

25. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I really enojoyed the BFC and the writing, so much so that I went out and bought a bunch of Kube-McDowell's books. And that's not an easy feat seeing as most are out of print. By far my favorites are the Emprise, Enigma & Empery Trilogy, and Alternaties. Quiet Pools comes in close. This is a big feat for me, mostly because I'm not a big Sci-Fi reader and his stuff is pretty hard core.

I mostly liked his characterizations. He brought some of the characters to life for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.