main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Michael Reaves Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Michael has written 'Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter'.

Jedi Council Forums Username:

Discuss Michael's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, Michael might drop by from time to time!

2. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Considering the things set against his novel about Darth Maul; the fact that Lucas wanted him to remain mysterious, and the fact that his title character had little or no real personality past being a Sithlord. I think Reaves did a wonderful job on Shadow Hunter.

I particularly like the charadcter of the droid and the Jedi padawan.

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I found DM:SH to be a pleasant surprise indeed, a great read laced with action and tragedy. I felt that the novel was classic SW, an action packed tale whose main antagonist rarely, if ever, speaks. Shadow Hunter was a slam bang action adventure with a pretty staright forward plot, but Mr. Reeves still manages to evoke emotions out of the reader. Even though we know all too well that none of our heroes will make it out alive, we still manage to grow attached to these characters and care about them, even though their fate is inevitable. That is indeed the mark of a great writer.

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Does anyone have any more information on Michael Reaves?

Ie: what other books he has written, does he have a website, etc...

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm not through with Shadow Hunter, but like it so far.
    I saw old episodes of Gargoyles a few days ago and saw that a certain Michael Reaves was the (co-)author of the teleplay and the writer of the story.
    :)

I love Gargoyles :)

6. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    He's written (I haven't read any of these, I hope I got them all):

I, Alien, published in 1978

Darkworld Detective, published in 1982

Hellstar, published in 1984

The Shattered World, published in 1984

Dome, published in 1987

The Burning Realm, sequel to The Shattered World, published in 1988

The Omega Cage, co-written by Steve Perry, published in 1988

Kamus of Kadizhar : The Black Hole of Carcosa, co-written by John Shirley, published in 1988

Street Magic, published in 1992

Night Hunter, a vampire novel, published in 1997

Voodoo Child, published in 1999

Dragonworld, co-written by Byron Preiss, published in 2000

Hell on Earth, published in 2001

He's also written a couple of historical choose-your-own-adventure books in the Time Machine series with Steve Perry:
    Time Machine 3: Sword of the Samurai, published in 1989, which was reprinted in eBook form
    Time Machine 5: Civil War Secret Agent, also co-written by Steve Perry, which is only available as an eBook

Until today I had no idea he'd written so much...

7. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter is my favorite EU book, ever! I loved it! :D

I hope he writes some more EU. There was a rumor a while back that he would be. Any news, anyone?

8. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    He said that has submitted a proposal for a multi-book project to Del Rey. People automatically assumed that meant Star Wars. Personally, I'm betting that it has nothing to do with Star Wars. Besides, that interview was long enough ago that it would've been confirmed, officially or otherwise, by now if it was a Star Wars project.

9. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I know this sounds ironic from a JCer, but I value my time. I really would like to read Shadow Hunter, except I'm not a fan of horror. And looking over the other books Reaves has written, I'm not very optimistic about reading SH. I'm sure it would have cool parts, but I don't want to have to wade through it if it has much horror/darkness/death. What would you recommend? Should I read it, or will it be a waste of time?

10. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    It is a good book. It incorporates Obi-Wan in it as well. I really enjoyed the parts where he took a taxi or used a terminal much to the chagrin of others. It is not a horror book by any standards.

11. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Did Reaves write the Droids and Ewoks cartoon stories?

12. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yes, I do know with a certainty that he wrote for the Ewoks show. Be sure, if you can, to check out his work in the Batman series, if it's on, and even moreso he and his wife's work on Gargoyles. Loved that show desperately, and many of the episodes are on videocassette.

13. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I found Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter to be the best EU book that I have ever read. Even though it is in the back of your mind what the eventual outcome must be, Michael Reeves serves well in keeping you interested for the entire book. Great commentry on the inner workings of the Sith, and a very clever ending IMHO.

14. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Alderaan_, I know it's been a few months, but I just came back to this thread. :)

If you still haven't read DM:SH, I suggest you do. It's not all about horror and death. There's a little gore/death, but the story is more of an adventure. It's very exciting! :D

15. Flight

Flight Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2002
    IMHO, DM: SH is by far the best prequel-era novel out right now. Despite the fact that the ending is a given - it takes place prior to TPM, so everyone who comes in contact with Maul must be eliminated before the last page - Reeves manages to make an interesting plot exciting, even gripping, with interesting, original characters. Lorn Pavan was a great character. There's some good humor, and I-5 is one of the galaxy's more interesting droids. There are some very good ideas embedded in there; for instance, this novel mentioned the idea that the Force is one, quite a while prior to Traitor.

16. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    I agree that Shadow Hunter is the best Prequel-Era Book. I'm getting tired of SW books where everyone survives. This was a nice change.

17. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "I'm getting tired of SW books where everyone survives."

NJO. 'Nuff said.

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I picked up Dragonworld the other day. . .

19. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    Did the same Michael Reaves write the 5th episode of the new HE-MAN show? "Sky War"?

The writer had the same name and there were a few SW references: Jedi training droid with a blindfolded Teela; He-Man deflecting blasts with his sword; and those speederbike vehicles sounded a lot like Ben Burtt's effects.

Great episode! Really liked how Skeletor pitted the two groups against one another in order to increase his power. Almost Palpatine(ish).

This HE-MAN show is amazing.

20. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Wedge 88- Yes, I really like the NJO, mostly because of that. I find it weird that many people are complaining about that, b/c I think it's necessary.

21. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

Jedi_Master_Isaiah Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    I only like pre-TPM EU books. The only ones that I have read are Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was a terrifying and magnificent novel. Michael Reaves is certainly an excellent author. His style of writing about Maul, Lorn Pavan, I-Five, Darsha, Sidious/Palpatine, Gunray, Monchar, and others kept me glued to the story. Lorn and I-Five were funny at times. It's weird to have an information broker and his droid along with a Jedi apprentice be the heroes. The insights of Darth Maul and Palpatine are very intriguing. The ending is both tragic and good. I give Reaves an A+ for this great novel!

22. Convalescent

Convalescent Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    Everyone has pretty much summed up my thoughts on this book, DM: Shadow Hunter, I just loved it! Read it directly after reading Cloak of Deception, which I also enjoyed, but, thats for another thread. Anyways, i just wanted to add my praise, and say that I thought the ending was an A+....the whole thing kept me turning the pages, reading faster and faster!

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It was released on TOS a few weeks ago that Michael and Steven Perry are collaberating once more, in a Clone Wars pb doulogy set for 2004. I thought it was strange no one had mentioned that in this thread.

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I hope it doesn't have Shadow of the Empire's idiosyncratic sentence structure. It was creative, but odd to read.

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I hope it doesn't have Shadow of the Empire's idiosyncratic sentence structure. It was creative, but odd to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.