main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN The Official Minnesota FF Harry Potter Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bria, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    :D That's right.. Soon we will be basking in the glory of the greatness that is, THE HULK!

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly! :p

Get ready for the rise of Ravenclaw! :cool:

3. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, this is it! I'm gone until I finish reading!

4. Bria

May 15, 1999
    AHHHHHH!!! What a night!!! It was great. I only got on to post a minute about the release party and to write in my journal, and them I'm off to read the book. I have the caffine all ready.

Tonight was a BLAST (except for the bit with She Who Must Not Be Named). We met the nicest Slytherin who just happens to like Star Wars and should be stoping by this weekend. We also saw Bill when we went outside for a bit of fresh air (it was HOT), and right after that, a Muggle newspaper woman came and took our pictures, names, and names of the characters we were portraying. Hopefully with our costumes we made the cut and will be in Thursdays paper! :D

5. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Thursday's Paper? Ummm isn't it Saturday now?

Hey who did you have problems with? Was Liz speaking a made up language again?

6. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yes, it's Saturday. And the EP paper comes out on Thursday. So like, next Thursday, you know. :p ;)

Yes, Peedo abounded, but I was speaking about this very odd little girl who kept following us around. Anyway, off I go to read. I'm not sure I'll return to this thread until I'm done with the book. TTFN! :)

Alison, I hope you find your way here. :D

7. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Geesh. :eek:

all life stops to read Harry Potter but if you expect these Star Wars Fans to have the latest Star Wars book read by the time bookclub comes up and your sure going to be dissapointed. :p

;)

Actually I may try and pick myself up a copy tomorrow.

If anyone has any left.

8. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Best of luck. I'm not sure you'll find it. May the Force Be With You in your hunt. :)

NOW I am off. I had to edit my Diagon Alley post. :p

9. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    we had sixty people at the door wnating this book this morning and by the time i left work at two we were wiped out. Doug or anybody my advice from what i saw would be not to try target or wal-mart but try a barned and nobel or borders. when i stoped in at borders they apperd to have a bunch of coppies. just what i saw

Ben

10. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    Well we got it this morning at Walmart 6am and Marie is already more then half done with it she is hellbent on finding out who dies lol. So a memo to you Harry Potter fans come to Fargo there is not that much of a line as compared to the citits, we went in and they had it by electronics on a big palllet and it was pretty full

11. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    I also stopped at the Apple Valley Wal Mart on my way home and they had plenty of copies.

Not only that but they were only charging $16.97 for it even though the cover price was $29.99.

So how much was B&N charging?

Anyway I have read about the first quarter of the book today. It's good but so far not as good as GOF. I have one big issue so far thats kinda ticking me off. I'll share later when everyone has read it.

12. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    it was a table full that i saw. i plan on picking this up when target gets some copies. go discount :)

13. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Just about 25 hours after I started reading, I am done. That wasn't all reading time, though. There were a couple unplanned naps that happened, and well as bathroom breaks and food breaks that slowed down reading.

The biggest problem turned out that no matter how I sat, I extremely irritated my back injury from my car accident a couple months ago. It's a good thing I have tomorrow off of work, 'cause I think I'll need it to stay in bed and (hopefully) recover some.

Many thoughts on the book that I still need time to digest, but people can feel free to PM me anything concerning it now.

In general, though, I loved it. JK Rowling has no disappointed and I impatiently wait for the release of Part 6, which hopefully will be in less than three years.

14. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
  15. Minnesota_Jones

Minnesota_Jones Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    Great Pictures! Glad you liked the book. I'll have to get Year 5 myself. Have the first 4, but just not the time to read them. (Sigh)

16. TheRealBoushh

TheRealBoushh Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    Read the books! Read them all! :D

I'm not done (I really had to get some sleep, as much as I didn't want to), but I'm over 1/2 there. I should be done by tomorrow I think, having the entire day off.

Great pictures, Rosemary! :) For those interested, in the picture with Gilderoy, the girl next to me is my coworker Lisa. She just got into HP and so only had to wait 5 days between completing Goblet of Fire and getting the next book. :p

I have my second copy of OOTP now. My first one was damaged and sliced inside. :( So yesterday mornig I went to Target at 8am when it opened to drop off my film from the party and picked up a new copy. It was priced at $16.98 and with my discount came to $16.16. I'll be returning the copy I got at Barnes and Noble, which I paid $19.16 for.

17. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    So why does the jacket say 29.99 I wonder?

At first I thought Wal-Mart messed up but if they are only 20 bucks everywhere else that fits with how They usually price books.

Anyway. :) I am on page 585. (I know because I had to look when the news tonight said some books were missing pages around page 420) So anyway I am truck'in along. I have tomorrow night off and I am certain I will finish it then.

18. DarthFett_79

DarthFett_79 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    I just finished!! :D

19. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, the cover price of the book is $29.99. But there's this thing called a discount that stores use as an incentive for people to buy things... ;)

Yay Stacie! Go post in the discussion thread!

20. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    yea but you usually don't go from 30 bucks to 17 bucks from just a disscount. That's close to 43% off. :eek:

21. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, when Goblet of Fire came out that book was 50% off everywhere. But that was when the bookstores had to start competing with Amazon.com, which was at the time offering 50% off all New York Times Bestsellers. All the stores then started realized that really wasn't profitable, so now standard discount for a new (popular) hardcover release is 30%-40%.

22. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Well you learn something new each day! :)

23. TheRealBoushh

TheRealBoushh Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    Well, I'm done. :)

I'll have to check out the new thread.

24. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Did everybody that attended Friday evening have a camera? I don't recall. I will be bringing my doubles to the book event tomorrow, if anyone wants some of them. :)

25. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I went to return my original copy of OOTP this evening, as it was damaged. I had my receipt, but it showed the book was paid for with a VISA card. Well, I don't HAVE a Visa. I don't have a credit card period. So I'm thinking that some how my receipt went to the wrong person, or some how bags were switched. :(

As I'd really like to get cash back (which I can't with a reciept where I paid for the book with cash), I was wondering if any of the group that was there Friday possibly has my receipt, or at least would be willing to let me use theirs. I wouldn't be returning this book if it weren't damaged, but it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.