main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The official Modern Warfare 2 Discussion thread, cough Captain Price is dead, cough

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Someone locked my topic with a super long and descriptive opening post about whisky hotel freezing in the west wing sometimes, and and told me to come here. (which is my own topic by the way):mad: Anyway, anyone else have that freezing problem occasionally in whisky hotel if you spend more than 2 seconds in the doorway to the west wing? I hope x-box live patches it. I know other people who have had this problem on all three systems 360/ps3/pc. Multiplayer/spec ops/ rest of singleplayer works fine. I had to sprint past that door to beat the level.:rolleyes:

2. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Whenever I play MW2 off of hard-drive, I do have some framerate issues on certain levels. Are you playing with the disc or without?

3. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    Well I'd have to agree that AC2 is a lot more violent and inappropriate than MW2, but both games aren't suitable for kids under 12. Which gets me specifically mad when I play online and there's always that one pre-pubescent kid that just won't stop talking.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Saw my first nuke in multiplayer today...

It was a bit disappointing, I didn't even see a mushroom cloud. :( But at least it was my side who dropped it.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I sincerely doubt, if a nuke were to fall or go off right beside you, that you'll see much of anything since you'll most likely be instantly obliterated by the blast. :p

6. GCX-15

GCX-15 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2009
    What I hated about modern warfare one that it was completely boring and the AI just kept coming in repeatedly. They moved funny too. I'm not buying this game.

7. sith_hunter117

Jul 18, 2008
    Bad choice my friend.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I disagree, good choice. The game is not worth the money. MW1 is better.

9. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm gonna sit on the fence for this one. If you have other games that tickle your fancy in the holiday season, I'd probably suggest grabbing them first depending on what they were, but if not, MW2 is still worth a playthrough, plus there's the online component if you are that way inclined. Even though the campaign was painfully short, I did manage to get 2 or 3 playthroughs out of it before I moved onto the online as I found it pretty fun and a decent story too (yeah yeah, it has plot holes and michael bay blockbuster set pieces up the wazoo, but it was still damn enjoyable)

That said, I dont think I'd be any worse off if I didn't have it permanently in my collection, as I have a whole stack of other games to keep me entertained, and thats not even including those on my 'still to buy' list and 'not yet released' list.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    To me MW2 failed for me due to its atrociously inane and offensively short Michael Bayish campaign. The online aspect of it is unimportant to me because of almost present lag on my end and the utter monsters that inhabit that realm, eating me whole and spitting me out over and over again. The news about the glitches and bugs people are exploiting only make helped fuel the bad image I have of this game. A bunch of you love it and each is entitled to their particular tastes, but it just doesn't float my boat like othe realeses this year.

11. sith_hunter117

Jul 18, 2008
    The online does have a lot of its flaws, but I mainly play it cause its a nice way to pass time. The single player is fun the first time around, but has almost no replay value. If you don't play online, MW2 isn't worth it, but it is if you enjoy online shooters. There's also Spec Ops mode, which has great missions you can do online with friends that are much better than the campaign IMO.

12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I guess I was hoping for it to be like the nuke scene in MW1. Oh well.

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    The riot shield is my new favourite toy. :p

A lot of people still don't know how to handle it and just stand there shooting at me until I rumble up and bash them a couple of times. I feel like a total jerk but it's fun to mess with people. [face_mischief]

14. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    The best is using it on domination on skidrow in the middle. You just stand by the flag and they think they can hit you from far down the hall. Unless they are good you can dodge most of their grenades too. But you need teammates who have half a brain to actually shoot the people distracted by you.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I had an epic riot shield battle yesterday. I was trying to take a control point in a domination match, but the guy defending it also had a riot shield and it quickly turned into a boxing match as we tried to outflank each other. It took a while but I finally got him.

I think it turned into a vendetta game after that, we always seemed to be killing each other for the rest of the match.

16. darth_berryboy

darth_berryboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    I have to admit, if you don't have online capability, this game would not be worth it. However, I have more fun online with this game than I have had in a long time with any game. There are flaws i.e. boosters and care package glitches, however, I use boosters as goals. I usually play objective games like domination so if boosting is going on there it really upsets me. I usually figure out who is doing the boosting and follow them around until I find his buddy. Then do my best to bug them until they leave that lobby. It may sound trivial, but if you can't level up on your own, practice more.

On a side note, if anyone would like to add me as a friend my screen name is below.

17. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    Can some one explain how this game is good?

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Depends on who you ask. My stance on it hasn't changed: I find it dissapointing on some crucial aspects and it seems like a rushed and poorly conceived expansion to the first MW. Others consider it as one of the true Halo killers. I take it you don't like it?

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Check out this item from IGN. There seems to be rocky weather brewing between Activision and Infinity Ward...

20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I find the multiplayer to be more imbalanced than in either WaW or MW1, I tend to stick to those two for multiplayer. Had I bothered to rent the game, I probably wouldn't have found it to be worth the purchase. It's a good game, but MW1 was just better all around, IMO.

21. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Great work Activision, why don't you run another hardworking games developer into the ground for your own gains!

In the past 24-48 they've fired two IW heads and co-founders, apparently licensed off the COD name to a 3rd and 4th developer to work on other games under the 'Call of Duty' brand, announced they plan to take the franchise away from FPS and into action/adventure territory, and some stuff about copying Blizzard and having a bigger focus on online gaming, particularly in Asia.

WHAT is going on?!

22. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    EA should send Kotick a fruit basket.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    "Getting mad at Activision for this kind of thing is like getting mad at an ape for throwing feces. It's just how the beast communicates." - Tim Schafer

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe I'm simply shooting off the hip here, but I bet that what's going on is that all of the MW2 shortcomings or flaws seem to make a hella lot more sense now: Infinity Ward was rushed into turning out MW2 for Q4 2009, at all cost. The cost was obviously poor overall quality on the finished product. Activision didn't care about excuses and possibly demanded more fixes, DLC and -- possibly on top of it all -- another MW for 2011. The IW heads could not comply or otherwise simply decided to rebel against the tyrant, getting pink slips for their trouble.

Of course, the slight optimist in me sees this a serious **** up on Activision's part. The former IW heads can simply open up shop elsewhere, drag every talented member of IW to their new startup and be picked up by another publisher like, say, EA (if memory serves, their original home back when they were doing the Medal of Honor series). Activision will keep an Infinity Ward in name only while those that made it a name to be reckoned in the industry will find new glory elsewhere. It's an old story, just with different names this time around.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    More tidbits regarding the IW/Activision controversy. Worthy or note are the copies of the motion filed by the former heads of IW against Activision. This is both incredibly interesting and ugly as hell. Regardless of what the ultimate truth may be behind it all, I'm kinda rooting for the little guys here and hope they manage to considerably and publicly hurt Activision, if not bring it down utterly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.