main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*The Official* Monthly Collecting Forum Newsletter: Issue 1, September 2005

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Issue 1, September 2005

Welcome to the first ever STAR WARS Collecting Community Forum Newsletter!

This newsletter, approved by our fabulous Modsters, is designed to help keep our collecting community ?in the know? of up and coming events, new toy releases, hot collectibles, and interviews with forum members! Feedback is appreciated :)

The newsletter will be bi-tri-weekly (unless there?s nothing new to report!)

If you have any information that you would like to contribute to the newsletter (particularly information regarding up and coming Comic Book/Action figure/Toy Shows, etc) please PM me: PadmeLeiaJaina and I will happily include the information in the next newsletter :)

Up and Coming Events!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lucasfilm Sponsored Events!

DRESSING THE GALAXY: The Costumes of STAR WARS Exhibit

[Image=http://starwars.fidm.edu/index/homepage_02.jpg]

Location: Los Angeles, California at the FIDM Museum and Galleries.
    Address: FIDM Museum & Galleries
    919 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90015
    Duration: September 19th ? December 10th 2005

" A collection of more than 100 costumes, accessories, and props from all six films of the Star Wars saga ? including Episode III Revenge of the Sith ? will be on display at the FIDM Museum & Galleries beginning September 19. After the exhibition opens, you will be able to browse the complete collection online by category and character."

FIDM Site

Early Reports:

Our very own Mara_Jade_Fan was lucky enough to attend the Grand Opening of the event and got to view the exhibition along w/ George Lucas and Trisha Biggar. She reports that Flash photography is not allowed and that there are something like 6 halls filled with costumes from all 6 films.

[image=http://images12.fotki.com/v217/photos/4/42811/2636165/AugSept090-vi.jpg]

[image=http://images14.fotki.com/v225/photos/4/42811/2636165/AugSept105-vi.jpg]

[image=http://images14.fotki.com/v218/photos/4/42811/2636165/AugSept110-vi.jpg]

Lucky Linda!

[image=http://images12.fotki.com/v216/photos/4/42811/2636165/GeorgeNMe2-vi.jpg]

She also reports that the giftshop has many t-shirts, posters, toys, and good stuff to entice collectors to empty their wallets :p

Click here to see Mara_Jade_Fan?s amazing Collection of photos from the Event!

STAR WARS: Where Science meets Imagination!

[image=http://www.mos.org/automedia/data/starwars/topnav/swlogo.jpg]

Dates: October 27, 2005 ? April 30th 2006

Click here for Ticket information!
    Developed by the Museum in collaboration with Lucasfilm Ltd., Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination puts a 21st century spin on the saga's futuristic devices by exploring similar technologies in development today. For anyone who's ever wondered, the exhibition addresses the question: Will we have anything like droids or landspeeders someday? Using Star Wars as a springboard--as a shared image of what the future might look like--the exhibition encourages visitors to participate in the imaginative engineering processes that yield technological advancements. As they design, test, and build prototypes, visitors immerse themselves not only in the Star Wars universe, but also in the current scientific knowledge that underpins technologies--and could lead to a more technologically sophisticated future.

With an array of Star Wars artwork, props, models, film clips, and documentary footage serving as a compel

2. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
  3. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    this is a really great idea. i think the interviews should continue so we can get to know everbody better. oh...i just thought...is it okay to reply to this, or is it just to read? either way, keep it up!

4. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    That was impressive!

I think it'll take a few days to get it all read, what with Internet-caused short attention span. :p

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    R4P17DC

Welcome and thank you :D

rebelwookiee

Yes, please, feel free to discuss whatever I post in here. I don't want to feel like my efforts are for nothing :(

I plan on interviewing somebody new w/ each newsletter - I figure the modsters get first shot - then I get to decide who the next victims will be [face_mischief]

Rebel_Spook

LOL! I know, I packed a ton of info in there, sorry for the overload :p At least I tried to sprinkle in pretty pictures to help break up the monotony of text 8-}

6. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I like this, it was a great read! Very informative as well, good job!

7. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I know what george is thinking to himself in lindas picture "oh here she is again I am sure this woman is stalking me this is the third time she has met me this year :p "

8. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    as far as the halloween costumes go, i think they are some of the best ever. we got the yoda one for my little girl. i'd like to get leia if i can find it. i tried to get her chewbacca, but for some reason she was scared of it.[face_thinking] she's a little nervous about the halloween section at wal-mart...lots of scary stuff. i've seen the clone trooper on several occasions, and all i can say is that i wish i'd had one 20 years ago!

9. The_Wookie_Girl

The_Wookie_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    I am so glad to see this newsletter--you have a great idea here, and the execution of the concept is perfectly fine. Yes, there was a lot of info, but you presented it in a clear and easy-to-read layout. :)

Only one suggestion: please make this issue 'sticky' until the next one comes out. :) That would be a big help for everyone on the Collecting board, IMHO. :) Again, thanks so much for this!

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Great job, PLJ! I think you should ask Mara_Jade_Fan if you can add her to the interview list - she should have some interesting stories..

11. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    :eek:

awesome!

=D=

12. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    sweet newsletter, I agree it might take a me a few days to read it all but i can't wait. Keep up the good work.

13. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Absolutely awesome, a brilliant idea Erika, well done! :)

14. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Impressive . . . most impressive. =D=

15. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Awesome newsletter. I learned quite a few things I didn't know about till the read the newsletter. It is great to see all the info in one convenient place without having to go hunt around for it. Thanks so much for doing this for us.

Edit: Just ordered my Stormtrooper Potatohead and Darth Potato Head "I am your Father" shirt :D

16. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Great idea, PLJ! The maiden letter was really fun to read. And quite informative as well! So, this is the collectors' Bantha Tracks ;).

17. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Nice update PLJ. I can't wait for Dressing a Galaxy.

Although, I'll have to wait but I can hopefully visit it at Barnes and Noble.

So, Mike's already 40 points and laughs Oh snap! I'll be 40 soon. :p

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hi Everyone!

I?m glad you all enjoy this! I just thought that we were sorely missing a nice informative newsletter. So often new release stuff gets buried in other threads that everyone might not visit, so I thought it would be nice to centralize all of the information in one place.

Again, if there?s anything you?d like to contribute to the next one, or know of any hot new collectibles coming out ? PLEASE point those tips my way and I?ll add them to the next newsletter! [face_dancing]

Quick new TF.N Announcement! Check out this link for info on Target Exclusives coming next month to prep for the DVD release.

I sooo want those Anakin/Obi-Wan Mustafar Duel figures...

Skywalker_1982

I think you could be right ;)

rebelwookiee

I just love the baby SW costumes, but the costumes that kids have available to them today are worlds better than the plastic junk that was around when I was a kid. You?ll have to be sure to share pictures of your little Yoda :)

The_Wookiee_Girl

A while ago I used to mod at a now defunct website (takes a moment of silence in thinking about E3.net :( ) and I used to write up newsletters there, so I have experience doing so. I?m glad the layout works :)

Thanks for suggesting that they sticky this ;) I was hoping that our lovely mods would do do :D

Les

Don?t you think that she?s top on my list of victim?errr?people to interview? [face_batting]

Mara_Jade_Fan

You?re welcome! I?m glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU for your awesome pictures that were contributed to this newsletter [face_dancing]

LOL! Darn! Hasbro should give me moola for pointing people their way :p

Jada

Now, now, pointing is rude young lady! [face_laugh] I can?t wait for ?Dressing the Galaxy? either. I hope I can get a copy when I ( [face_praying] Hopefully [face_praying] ) goto the exhibit in a few weeks. Apparently the book isn?t shipping to stores until next month [face_worried]

19. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    If only I was young [face_laugh]

I think I'll slip a hint to the powers being Christmas for the Dressing the Galaxy or just suggest that anyone wanting to give me a Christmas present give me a B&N card.

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    PLJ, this is a fantastic idea and you did such a wonderful job on it! Thanks for all the good info. :)

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a heads-up that the newsletter made the Mod Squad update for this week..

22. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Wow! You've made the big time now, PLJ! :p

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh oh- I'm now into the Modsters radar :eek: :p

24. lukestarkiller1977

lukestarkiller1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Good thread!

I voed for Padme artic for the 12" EU, what about everyone else??

25. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Good work erika I wonder who the next lucky person is that gets interviewed next after mike [face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.