main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN The official Movie review thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by vaderisone, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

I thought a thread to review any recent movies one has seen would be great. This can include movie or dvd or tv

For my first one it will be Ghandi...released in 1982, awesome movie, I knew little of the man prior to the movie but afterwards I was truely inspired. The movie is 188 minutes, and not very exciting for kids, but if you have sometime, I highly recommend

2. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    Here's recent:

I just finished 'Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed' (which everyone else was watching, too, right?)

Great documentary on the connections and inspirations for Star Wars from literature, mythology, and history.

My only complaint was all of the clips were from the TSE (yes I know that is only version that Lucas would likely allow to be referenced). And yes they showed the cantina scene with Han and Greedo but with Greedo shooting first.

Highly recommended.

3. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Darn you vaderisone,

now I have to re-watch Ghandi!

In current films, and for some reason, (too much trooping?)
    I rarely go out and see anything,

but did make it out to the latest,
    Pirates of the....ok you know:)

All the films were the same for me,
    fun entertainment......but the Hanz Zimmer score,
    is the best thing he-s done since Iron Chef (Japanese version)
    but then, that music is really from BackDraft.

4. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002

Add Chronicles of Riddick for me, just finished a Triology that I had bought on discount years ago. The second film is a cartoon only 30 minutes long picking up right after were the first film ended. I think I liked the first film the best. The 3rd installment had a great plot line but like most Sci-Fi movies can't deliever in the end. Tried to do too much with the story. So I would say if you can get the first movie it is not bad, the second is something from cartoon network and the third is just okay.

5. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    I Robot......via my TIVO recorder, of regular TV,

well, having read the book and also the many other Isaac books surounding it,
    I was very dis-appointed in the movie,

and so as a movie, it was ok, and was pretty well made,
    as I know I saw the watered down broadcast version.

but even so, it is the amazing story from the guy who basically,
    is the Father of Robots (except for Carl Kapek and RUR)

If you love to read and have the time, his most amazing serious,
    which would make a pretty good TV show in my opinion,
    should be something that you give a try:)

Here is the authors suggested reading order,
    Look close to see where I ROBOT fits into this.

The fourteen books, all published by Doubleday, offer a kind of history of the future, which is, perhaps, not completely consistent. since I did not plan consistency to begin with. The chronological order order of books, in terms of future history (and not of publication date), is as follows:

(reading order as suggested by Isaac):
    The Complete Robot (1982). This is a collection of thirty-one robot short stories published between 1940 and 1976 and includes every story in my earlier collection "I, Robot" (1950). Only one robot short story has been written since this collection appeared. That is "Robot Dreams", which has not yet appeared in any Doubleday collection.

Caves of Steel (1954). This is the first of my robot novels.
    The Naked Sun (1957). The second robot novel.
    The Robots of Dawn (1983). The third robot novel.
    Robots and Empire (1985). The fourth robot novel.
    The Currents of Space 1 (1952). This is the first of my Galactic Empire novels.
    The Stars, Like Dust 1 (1951). The second Galactic Empire novel.
    Pebble in the Sky 1 (1950). The third Galactic Empire novel.
    Prelude to Foundation (1988). This is the first Foundation novel.
    Forward the Foundation 2 (1993). The second Foundation novel.
    Foundation 3 (1951). The third Foundation novel but most of the world knows this book as the first member of the "Foundation Trilogy". Actually, it is a collection of four short stories, originally published between 1942 and 1944, plus an introductory section written for the book in 1949.
    Foundation and Empire 3 (1952). The fourth Foundation novel, made up of two short stories, originally published in 1945.
    Second Foundation 3 (1953). The fifth Foundation novel, made up of two short stories, originally published in 1948 and 1949.
    Foundation's Edge (1982). The sixth Foundation novel.
    Foundation and Earth (1986). The seventh Foundation novel.

ok, that is enought posting for me for now.

Ed

6. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002

Actually I liked I Robot; however, I have never read the book, so I have nothing to go on. Thanks for the reading list, I love to read, but I have been too busy to read books as of late.

7. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    Pirates of the Carribean, 'At Worlds End'

Finally had a chance to see this on my 11th wedding aniversary and walked away disappointed. Too many story lines that were not needed. Should have focused more on the Pirates organizing to fight the Armada, but the story lines with Calypso was not needed. I have heard Disney is going to release a 4th picture but I hope not.

8. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    ok, I am just a little kid:)

Just saw,

Ratatouille

animated all the way....with no motion capture,
    and it was very good.

also, the goofy story line, was fun as well, with some
    typical father/son stuff.

So, I liked the idea of RATS in the kitchen, and as cooks

oh well, there ya have it.

9. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    MT...Was this the usual Pixar film, just awesome, or was there any dropoff.

10. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    all I can say is, that I will have to buy this one on DVD.

so, it seemed to be very high quality pixar work to me,
    and worth a view.

I really like animation, and it does not have to be fancy to be good,

or

Twice Upon A Time is a favorite,
    and
    so is
    Heavy Metal
    along with
    most Bugs Bunny and Wylie Coyote.

Would love to hear any other views even if neg:)

but I thought it was really good, and animation has been kinda,
    weak lately.

11. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    I haven't seen it, but I was surprised at how little advertising it got. They did start advertising heavily in the two weeks leading up to the release, but that's about it.

Toy Story, Bugs Life, Cars... all had trailers out at least 6 months before the movie.

12. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Transformers.... Went and seen it July 3rd. It was awsome. I enjoyed it as if I were a kid. It brought back all kinds of memories. It is a must see.

13. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002

BDZ hope it is shorter than a month before you are back on the boards, I have heard good reviews about Transformers, in fact two different people I saw related people clapped once the movie was over. Hoping to see real soon.

Okay since this week was the 4th of July I saw Indepence Day. Great story. Hard to believe that is over 10 years old. In my opinion this was one of those landmark films in Sci-Fi were technology took all Sci-Fi to a new level. This movie had it all, good story, good characters and great action sequences. Also delievered from beginning to end. If I could have changed anything I would have made it a triology and ended the first one with the ground offensive being started by the alien race.

14. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    you say you enjoyed it as if you were a kid,but is it suitable for your/my kids?

15. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    i almost worded that as "our kids" but then i thought that people may think that BDZ and me were a couple.

16. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Aren't you?

T-frmrs was good. Two thumbs up. I really liked the 2009 Camaro concept.

17. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007
    A couple of what?

18. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    i went and saw "live free or die hard" tonight. i would recommend it if you are technologically retarded. too many glaring mistakes to list. physics mean nothing in this movie. all laws of thermodynamics are broken at some point. the editing screwed up quite a bit because you'd hear an actor talking, but on-screen, he's not. but if you just like to see stuff blow up, this movie will keep you entertained.

btw- i did NOT pick to see this movie.

19. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Transformers for kids: I personally would take my kids to see it. There is one scene where the teenage boy is locked in his room and his Mom says something like, "are you masterbating?". There might be a minor curse word, maybe a dam or something like that. There is of course alot of guns and missles going off and alot of fighting. When explosions happen, bodies go flying, people screaming, etc but there is no blood or severed limbs. It is a very intense film and is approx 2.5 hours long. If you question taking your kids, go see it for yourself, then take your kids if you want. That way you get to see it twice.

20. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007
    Grandpa went to see Transformers and thought it was the greatest movie ever. So he went again and took my oldest. I have yet to see it.

I did however get to go see Rataouille. It's not laugh your Jabba-butt off, but I thought it was a nice, fun flick. The characters were well done and who can't love hearing Patton Oswalt? (Yes I am a geek.)

21. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    on friday, my wife and i went and saw that latest "hairy pothead orders fries in phoenix" movie... or something like that.

i don't read the books. never have felt the urge to read them. i may eventually listen to the audio books, but haven't had any background to the stories as of yet.

anyways, i thought that this movie was the most entertaining one yet. it had good action and the kids are getting a bit older and a bit more mature in their acting. hermoine was a bit forced in some of her dialogue, but the guys were pretty good. i left the theatre entertained and saying it was good. a bigger fan may say it was great, but i say it was good.

22. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002

I saw Scream last night, or at least the first 30 minutes and the last 30 minutes. Actually a good horror film if you are into those. One of the few horror films that people could latch onto since the 80's. Since I am older and have always enjoyed horror movies, especially of this type, it's popularity reminded me of Nightmare on Elm Street series.

80's villians that were quite popular were Jason series which I have no clue how many movies were made of this, (on a personal note not one of my favorites), Micheal Meyers from Halloween (however much of the success of these films was from Jamie Lee Curtis), and of course Freddie Krueger. All were 80's icons and had a cult like following. To see these movies was to see the villian and his entertaining ability. Don't get me wrong the original of all three of these films were all very scary and could even spook most battle hardened teenagers of today.

Since I am rambling 90's icons were Leprecaun (sp? which I personally never understood)and Scream. Scream was much more popular however, and used several gimmicks that made it very popular. Such as the superstar actress who always was killed in the opening scene. Other 90's icon was Chuckie, which the original was actually pretty scary. But in this movie scary is a relative term. It was still a less than 3 foot doll. I never understood how the doll could overpower peopele. Actually as I am typing this Chuckie was another 80's icon. From his posting MT seems to have great knowledge of movies and would love for him to share on this subject.

As for MT he was also banned like me but if you go to his profile he listed an e-mail address so I have e-mailed him. I believe he should be back this weekend posting in full force.

Well here is a long link that most won't care about, but this is from my teen years and holds some sentimental value.

23. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I think you forgot to post the link?

24. garbagge59

Nov 23, 2004
    no, he just forgot to put any text inside the link command.

25. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.