main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC The Official Music thread!!! (Lyrics and Songs that rock Victoria)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Protege-of-Thrawn, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Okay, we all like music.

I know Hawk likes to whore himself to most genre's, whilst I'm teh resident Ambient Dub, Classical and Alternative junkie.

But what do j00 liek in your music?

What lyrics to you stand out? Do you even listen to lyrics?

What genre of music rocks your world, and which songs sent your genre into a whirl?

Post your favourite songs, discuss your favourite artists or genre's, and of course, post your favourite lyrics and feel free to discuss them.

A bit of culture back into Victoria! :)

First off, one of my favourite songs, by the Dapper Clown Posse

Hats for Clowns.

Hats, for Clowns....
    La la la la lalalala...
    Hats, for Clowns....
    La la la la lalalala...

Cats, Four Pounds...
    La la la la lalalala...
    Cats, Four Pounds...
    La la la la lalalala...

Chaps, in gowns...
    La la la la lalalala...
    Chaps, in gowns...
    La la la la lalalala...

Crabs, in town....
    La la la la lalalala...
    Crabs, in town....
    La la la la lalalala...

a handwashed turkey...
    there's turkey for all...
    a handwashed turkey...
    this turkey's having a ball!!

Great song that.

2. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Top idea PoT!! You haven't lost your touch.

My music is very varied, but I do have my favourites mind you.

Favourite Band: Audioslave hands down. Muse come in a very close second since those guys just rock.

Favourite Songs: Feeling Good (Muse). Best. Song. Ever. Like A Stone is pretty damn good, so too is What you are, both by slave.

I do however like to expand my horizons. My winamp listing consists of many artists including: Elvis, Grinspoon, Metallica, Placebo, RATM and even Bango De Gaia.

Yep. I love my music. :)

3. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    My fav songs include

Hasta Siempre by Carlos Puebla. It has cool lyrics. In Spanish!

We Are the Red Cavalry by the Red Army Choir. It has cool lyrics. In Russian!

The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. It has no lyrics whatsoever.

Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc. The lyrics are about some British guy being mugged in Jamaica.

The main theme from teh game Curse of Monkey Island kicks some serious arse.

Steel drums are win

4. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    Aprendimos a quererte
    Desde la historica altura
    Donde el sol de tu bravura
    Le puso un cerco a la muerte
    Aquí se queda la clara
    La entrañable transparencia
    De tu querida presencia
    Comandante Che Guevara
    Vienes quemando la brisa
    Con soles de primavera
    Para plantar la bandera
    Con la luz de tu sonrisa
    Aquí se queda la clara
    De tu querida presencia
    Comandante Che Guevara
    Como revolucionario
    Que conducía nueva empresa
    Donde espera la firmesa
    De tu brazo libertario
    Aquí se queda la clara
    De tu querida presencia
    Comandante Che Guevara
    Hablado
    Seguiremos adelante
    Como junto a tí seguimos
    Y con Fidel te decimos
    Hasta siempre Comandante
    Aquí se queda la clara
    De tu querida presencia
    Comandante Che Guevara
    Che, Esa hora irá creciendo cada día que pase, esa hora ya
    no prará más.

That's Hasta Siempre.

5. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Hey do not forget the golden sounds of LPG. Truely awesome 90s band!!!

6. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Well, personally, I don't think you can go past the classics of grunge and rock - AC/DC, Nirvana, Guns 'n' Roses, Pearl Jam. But the RHCP are awesome too... My tastes in music vary heaps too and FBS got me seriously into nigga muzik and you can't pass that up either. I only listen to techno when I've had too much milk or I think there might be some advantage for me to do so.

7. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I love Charlie Musselwhite

8. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Heh....i like most things.

My music tastes range from the beatles to nirvana to rachmaninov to pink floyd to benny goodman to the red hot chili peppers.

I love a lot of styles.....except teeny bop and country. Does anyone here like any good aussie bands, like MGF or the John Butler Trio or the Whitlams?

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    I love MGF Boogie Man, they rank as prolly the best live act in this country. And the Whitlams will always rank high in my playlist, for sure. Tim Freedman is a god.

As we've seen above, I LOVE the Dapper Clown Posse, but...well..personally guys, when I'm not listening to the "mainstream" alternative sounds such as Radiohead, Chemical Brothers or good aussie bands such as MGF, Tripod, AC/DC, the Living End or even Ben Harper, I might even be induldging in some rap such as Eminem or Dre! Of course, I've even dabbled in Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa, but we shan't mention them here... ;)

I have a truely great penchant though, for two other genre's which invariably fill my playlist. And they are Classical Orchestral, and Ambient Dub.

Both are inhabited by some of the best composers living or dead, and some of the most varied and musically rich sounds that the human ear may enjoy.

Classically - pun intended - speaking, I favour Beethoven and Mozart of course, but still find time for Tchaikovsky, who is awesome, especially his 1812 overture. The Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven however, is a personal favourite.

In terms of Ambient Dub, Two artists stand out. Phillip D. James and Toby Marks.

Phillip D. James goes under the pseudonym of Aphex Twin, and his music is simply equisite. Many classical contemparies have compared his ability to create sound and music to that of the greats such as Mozart and Beethoven: indeed, in many musical composition classes in England, his name is now uttered in the same breath as such men.

His music must be listened to be believed. The wonderous undercurrent of Ageispolis when speakers are amped up, the haunting sounds of Icct Hendral when all the lights are out and your alone in the dark, the soothing melody's of Windowlicker or Ptolemy: his music is as varied as it is unique.

Speaking of unique, one cannot go past the forefather in many respects of the merge between Ambient Dub and World Music, Toby Marks. Also known as Banco de Gaia - indeed, the psuedonym under which he sells his work - he has for a decade progressively widened the samples of his music to cross Africa and Asia, infulenced heavily by Tibet and Arabic sounds, and many mediterranian influences as well.

Such mournful classics as "Glove Puppet" and "IGizeh" are unique in not just their sound, but their character. Each song literally tells a story. Each sound is almost a word captivating your attention. Each sample of a cry in the wind, the hoot of an owl, the pitter patter of rain or the amplitude waves of Cosmic X-Rays ran through deep space ultrasound (I told you his samples where varied) each epic song tells a tale more then a thousand words might, and each is both soothing and thought provoking depending on how much you listen.
    Songs such as Last Train to Lhasa telling of the PRC slaughtering and invading the free people of Tibet, or perhaps Starstation Earth chronicalling the big bang to evolution to human development and beyond...the sound, tells the profound tale and captivates the listener.

Lastly in the ambient Dub category, the intrigue of Allison Goldfrapp's music and lyrical genius is worthy of mention, as is Australia's own Endorphin, whose Zoe is still as haunting now as it was the first listening. Another worthy mention is Lamb, whose vocals are so different to be almost "earthy".

Now we've tripped out on Classical and Ambient Dub, I must make mention to the favourite I forget above, and that is "Summertime" by Billie Holiday & Louis Armstro.

10. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    George Gershwin!! drool!!!!!!!

11. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, MGF are the best live act in the country. And Tim Freedman most certainly is a god. Come to think of it, so is Gough Whitlam. heh.

PoT, is Ben Harper Australian? i thought he was american....

oh, one other genre that i don't like that i forgot to mention: Rap. *shudder*

12. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    OMG!!11!!! Summertime, PoT??

Louie Armstrong is an awesome musician, his unique work has not been matched by any other Jazz musician. His skills at the trumpet are unlike any other, and his voice so god damn cool. And summertime, I love that song, in fact I chose to play that for my mid year saxophone performance last year. It sounds amazing with a piano compilation as well :)

13. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Charlie Mussellwhite is a harmonica and guitar legend

14. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    Well as RP has already said i am in RAP, I might as well come out and tell it. Currently my playlist contains. Eminem (old school of course none of his new commercial stuff) 50 cent, tech n9ne, xzibit, Jayo Felony, cypress hill, dre and of course snoop dogg.

However there is the clasics like Norman Greenbaum (spirt in the sky just in case you didnt know) some Jethro Tull and of course queen.

15. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Do not forget Frank Zappa!!!

16. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Even the Mona Lisa likes rap FBS, look at her getting jiggy with it:

[image=http://www.mrsheep.20m.com/images/mona.gif]

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    TBM: Yeah, he's a Yank, I didn't mean to have him in an Aussie flow on. My error.

Mixo: Frank Zappa is a legend. ;) Have you heard the work of his protege, Captain Beefheart? It is a must listen.

I recommend "Making love to Vampire with a monkey on my knee" for maximum listenability.

Go "prog rock!" ;)

18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Frank Zappa, just like Norman Gunston is an original!!!!!!!!!

19. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    I r0xx0r to the sound of Azar Habib's Hatten är Din

It's a real song, popular in Lebanon during the 80's. It's about passing a hat to drunks during a bar crawl.

20. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I've been listening to the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, particularly the score, almost non-stop. Mona Lisa Overdrive is going to be a favourite of mine for quite some time, as is Furious Angel. It's mainly all atmospheric music (the score is, at least), but it's my kind of music. As Marilyn Manson would say, "This is the new ****". ;)

21. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Ah yes. Furious Angels is indeed one damn fine track.

As is the rest of the album for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.