main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Nsync's role in E2 thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Theedage, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Yes, you're all whining. It's no big deal. A brief second or two, no lines... Odds are they won't even be noticeable unless you're looking for them.

2. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Here's the interesting part. When were their parts filmed?

Surely we would have heard about them being in the film LONG before this.

3. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    I've said it before and I'm agreeing with hew now. I don't see what the fuss is about, they're extras...they're not going to harmonize 'Lapti Nek' or the 'Yub Yub' song...they're not going to serenade Anakin and Padme while they have their meal. They're going to be dressed in Jedi robes and on screen for no more than a few seconds. And why shouldn't Lucasfilm advertise them as being in the film, they're not trying to alienate any existing fans. If anything they're trying to bring in a demographic that has largely eluded them...young girls. I think everyone deserves to experience the wonder of Star Wars and if it takes a cameo like this to attract them to the theater, then so what its just a marketing strategy. And heaven forbid a young girl should become a (*gasp*) new Star Wars fan.

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I won't believe this til' the OS or the Insider confirm it, but if it is true, then it really isn't a big deal. I'm no fan of N'Sync, but I won't be bothered at all if they have a small cameo. People who are saying that SW is dead because of this really need a reality check.

*waits for the first "Is the 'Bye Bye Bye' music video canon?" thread to appear*

5. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    Oh well, it could be worse, at least we don't have a certain actor-who-will-remain-nameless as Anakin ;)

6. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    People don't care when cute little E.T.s are in the senate scene. People don't care that the number 1138 pops up somewhere in every movie. People don't care when the Pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey happens to be in Watto's Junkyard. But people do care when a group of guys that they happen not to like are extras in a Star Wars movie.

Now, if they are more obvious than the examples cited above, I may be a bit peeved. But otherwise, everyone is overreacting WAY too much.

7. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    It's been officialy confirmed.
    It IS a big deal.
    "I have a bad feeling about this..."

8. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    First of all not everybody here is whining, including me.

Like I said I don't mind if they're in the movie as extras but just as long as they don't sing or have speaking parts. Their music does not belong in the movie and neither does they amateurish acting. I want real actors and no pop culture music acts, thats all!!! There is no real acting ability involed in being an extra so if George wants to use them as background characters thats cool. Even I was an extra for the Spider-man movie and I can't act for crap. :p

9. Crimson_Jedi

Crimson_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    The presence of NSYNC in Episode II is being blown way out of proportion. As I have written before, so long as these extras do their job well, I have no problem with their inclusion in the film. If NSYNC's presence has the beneficial side-effect of luring a broader demographic to Episode II, that's good for the franchise. If teeny-bopper girls watch Episode II multiple times in the theater to soak up the romance between Anakin and Padme, as well as get a glance at NSYNC, Episode II could match Titanic in across-the-spectrum interest. Guys will be satisfied with the action sequences and plot. Let Lucas throw a bone or two to the ladies. I'll take NSYNC extras over Jar-Jar any day. I'd rather see Lucas pander to the ladies than the fart-joke demographic.

Also, for those of you concerned that the teeny-bopper temporality of NSYNC will tarnish the Star Wars name with a fad group, this may not be an issue. Unlike New Kids on the Block or the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC chose a band name that does not "date" them as easily as "kids" or "boys." They can get older and still be called "NSYNC" without someone laughing at them as "kids" or "boys." On a marketing level, these guys may be able to weather the storm and keep their fan-base as they age. Who knows? I don't know much about these guys. I'd recognize their songs as popular hits if I heard them, but I couldn't tell you whether that was NSYNC or some other band that I don't pay attention to. Since I'm not a big fan of contemporary pop music to begin with, I don't discriminate between NSYNC, Britany Spears, Jennifer Lopez, or whoever else is flavor of the week. It's all the same.

Quite frankly, it does not matter for Star Wars whether these guys sink or swim as a group in the long-run. NSYNC's role in Episode II is irrelevant to the quality of the film. Lucas's decision to include NSYNC does not tell us whether the film will be good or bad. So, for all those hung up on NSYNC, get over it. Worry about other things having to do with AOTC, if you must.

EDIT: And, please, nobody should be attacking Lucas's kids for the NSYNC inclusion. Not only is it an unfounded attack, but also it's a real low blow that does not befit decent human beings.

10. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Almost ever week I have people I work with who know I am a Star Wars fan tell me what they think is wrong with the Star Wars movies. My friend who is LOTR freak is going to have a field day picking on me with this bit of news. Oh well, I figure that you won't even notice them unless you are looking for them.

11. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Oh and don;t forget the tennis shoe in ESB during the asteriod scene!

People, they are extras. I swear. Whine, whine, whine!

What's the point? No point to it at all!

Put it this way, if any of us JC geeks got the chance to be extras in a SW film we would take it.

If any of us were famous, we would go straight to Lucas and ask to be an extra, even if we don't get noticed. It is for a fleeting moment and in the background with hundreds of extras!

So lets look at N'SYNC. I do not like that type of music. But let us see the facts. They are huge SW fans. They always stated that, even before TPM came out. They went to the TPM premiere and left the theater swinging their toy lightsabres and jumping around like many of us geeks do while they ranted and raved how awsome it was. And no, I am not kidding about this. It was on tv in 1999.

So here we have 5 famous people who are SW fans and acted like geeks before and after the movie. So when they visited the set they asked if they could appear as extras. What is the deal? Anyone of us would kill for this and if we were famous we would take advantage of this.

And as much as we may hate N'SYNC, remember, they are as big SW geeks as us.

The only difference is that they get hot girls and bucket loads of cash in real life, unlike most of us.

12. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    To me it IS a big deal!! It's symbolic of the commerciality that has engulfed the PT. Imagine something like this going on in the OT? It's just plain silly and it destoys the reality of the SW world for me.
    This is why we prefer unknown actors in these roles so were not completely disavoing the reality of a character. Instead of saying "that's Sly Stallone" we can submerse ourselves in the reality of the film and rest assured that is not Stallone but indeed Owen Lars. Now I'm going to be staring at the screen knowing that those are not Jedi who are the gaurdians and protectors of the Republic. Rather, a group of plastic puppets held on a string by the money grubbing fat cats which have done enough to destroy film as an artform as it is!!
    This is tragic. Futhermore, I'm surprised by the irresponsiblity of McCallum and Lucasfilm for allowing such a breach in SW continum. Now, every one-hit wonder and future-has been will want to make a cameo and scar my every viewing of the saga!

13. Dark_Lady_Valeris

Dark_Lady_Valeris Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    Crimson_Jedi, I find the first paragraph of your last post midly insulting. GL doesn't need to "throw a bone or two to the ladies." He didn't need to when I became a SW fan at the age of 9, he didn't need to when I saw ROTJ at 15, and he definitely doesn't need to now. If he did, I would be running the other way, as I detest anything remotely like a "chick flick".

Why is it inconceivable that female fans enjoy SW for many of the same reasons male fans do?

Valeris

14. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    No, it is not a big deal!

Because they are extras amongst many other extras all grouped together!

SW almost has always used unknown actors... except Peter Cushing, Billy Dee Williams, Alec Guiness and now with the prequels, Liam Neeson and Christopher Lee.

But the thing is, except for those few exceptions, that rule only applies to characters in the film who have lines or who are in more than one scene.

These are extras! It does not change the SW universe and you will not notice it until the DVD comes out and rewind and pause as you HUNT for them.

Man, take a chill pill.

They are extras!!!!

15. LtKettch

LtKettch Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2000
    I must say, I may have over-reacted in my earlier posts and I appologize if I offended anyone.

BUT, I have to say I agree with Paranoid_Anidroid on this one.

16. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    (Thinking to himself:"now where did I put that *chill pill*? Oh, here it is! Yum!)

Okay, all better now. :)

17. Dark_Lady_Valeris

Dark_Lady_Valeris Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    I can't help thinking: what's next?

Valeris

18. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Hey, everybody... "Son of the Tear" is right!! Try a chill pill! Gosh, these things are good. *munch* *munch* *munch*--BURP!

More please.
    [face_blush]

19. STARWARS-LOTR4ever

STARWARS-LOTR4ever Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    i think ts both good and bad we get to see them die and they hav very some parts but it would be a sad sad thig to see some 1 buyin a ticket just to see n'sync and iam not sure but i hard rumors of lenadrno dicpaico was goin to be darth sidous's "sentor palpatine"
    next sith appertince iam not eally sure if this is ture or not but i hop some 1 can confrim it

20. STARWARS-LOTR4ever

STARWARS-LOTR4ever Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    i think ts both good and bad we get to see them die and they hav very small parts but it would be a sad sad thig to see some 1 buyin a ticket just to see n'sync and iam not sure but i hard rumors of lenadrno dicpaico was goin to be darth sidous's "sentor palpatine"
    next sith appertince iam not eally sure if this is ture or not but i hop some 1 can confrim it

21. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    I don't really care as long as they're in the backround and have no lines of dialogue. I just don't want this to turn into some big thing with the media making the movie out to be "Star Wars: Episode II-Attack of the Clones, starring N*SYNC."

22. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    From E! Online:

There are two different stories as to how this shocking development occurred. The New York Post reports that George Lucas' adopted daughters, Amanda and Katie, are huge fans of the popster supergroup, so he cast the boys as Jedi knights. The Post says they appear in the background of the film's climactic battle scene, ...[edited]..."

Lucasfilm rep Lynn Hale, however, says that, while Lucas' daughters are big fans, "that didn't have anything to do with it." Hale says Justin, Lance, Joey, JC and Chris were big Star Wars fans, so they asked producer Rick McCallum if they could appear in the latest installment.

McCallum apparently found a spot for them, in "a big scene with lots of extras." But Hale says they have no dialogue, and they won't even be credited as extras when the film hits theaters May 16.

Still, the mere blip of an appearance by the Pop stars has set off a firestorm of talk on Star Wars Internet message boards.

Uncredited cameos with no dialogue.... Oh, the tragedy!!! [face_plain]

23. Fergcoug

Fergcoug Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    Why is everyone so freaked out by this? Did anyone read the complete story. THEY GET BLOWN UP!!!!!(see story on Yahoo! news) Instead of cursing George, you should be thanking him for doing what we have all wanted to do for years. Besides, so what if they are in the background. I'm not that worried. By god, you'd swear they were on the council and were standing by Obi-Wan the entire film.

24. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Hey, I don't understand why everyone wants to see them die in AOTC? Does this somehow justify they're participation in the film? We're not blood thirsty hounds here. C'mon, does anybody REALLY want to see these fine young men injured or hurt? I realize that your all probably just venting but don't get carried away! Furthermore, I really do not understand why their eclectic brand of talent is so over looked! I mean, after all... we all know they can act! Just take a look at one of their videos when you get the chance. I'd DIE before I'd let anything happen to Justin.

~whoa, not feeling like self. Too many pills!

25. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    LOL, ditto to ^. We get to see NSync blow up. How cool is that?

...Ya know, things like this don't happen every day, so be thankful! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.