main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Nsync's role in E2 thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Theedage, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    "I wouldn't have even known that Peter Jackson was in LOTR if someone didn't tell me where to look."

LOL! :D How could you not know where to look for Peter? He burbs right in your face!!

No, Keith abbott, it is not debatable as to wether or not they have talent. It's not an opinion. They're masters of their trade-- might as well cast them as Jedi MASTERS, eh? You ARE blood thirsty you HOOLIGAN! You want to see these charming boys blown to BITS! Frankly, I cannot let that happen...

2. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Hey, by the way, while were talking about cameos... guess who I happened to see the other day with a little cameo in Beverly Hills Cop 3. Yup, you gussed it, none other than GEORGE LUCAS!! He's in the scene where Axel has to save some kids from a ride that goes bonkers before they drop to their deaths. This may be old news to all of you but I thought it was pretty funny.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    We know they only have a minimum screen time of a nanosecond and are in the background, but this is what scares me. Lucas is a loose cannon (not a bad thing most of the time), so what if he decides to give EACH of them a second of screen time? So we'd have a big scene with tension, and then have closeups of them...which would result in the stealing of the scene from the main characters. I'm sorry, I can't see Anakin/Hayden seriously standing next to N'Sync.

4. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    So what if he decides to give EACH of them a second of screen time?

Wouldn't it be a little late for that. I have a feeling that the filming of Episode II has long been concluded.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    the storm after the calm!

5. Metsuke

Metsuke Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Sheesh, it's not like they are starring in it. They will be seen in the background for a couple of seconds and that is it.

I was at Lucas ranch when we heard of this. One of the guys from N'sync was there and we snapped a picture with Lucas in the middle of us.

So what? N'sync sucks and all, but a small two second part is not going to ruin Star Wars.

6. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I heard Lee was called back to do some additional shoots. It happens.

7. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    Sure, you bring back the stars of the movie, not UNCREDITED EXTRAS.

8. Angelic_308

Angelic_308 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 2, 2002
    Ok I will not mind it if Bass is in it (He's a good actor)But Come on! What are they going to do Break Dance?!

9. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    No, they are going to be involved in an action scene with hundreds of other men and women, and will most likely slip by your attention unnoticed.

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    First off, for the record...I do like NSync, they're music is fun, they put together a very good show this summer, and all this Nsync bashing is petty and stupid. They are celebrities that managed to get a small non-speaking part as "Big scene with lots of extras," what's the problem? If this were any of us, we'd be jumping for joy; so why not be happy for them (since they are fans of SW) that they get to be part of AotC and leave what they do for a living out of this.

11. Rogue_Squad_Leader-

Rogue_Squad_Leader- Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    * pulls out his butterfly knife and holds it to his wrists in wait for NSUCK to be announced in star wars"

12. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    In a way it is bad :( because it takes away for true Star Wars fan plus it will be harder to get in. But think about it in this way, the box-office totals made will be higher then it would without them. And since everyone seems so concerned about box-office records this will be a GOOD thing. :D

13. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    But, see, this is N'Sync! They're higher up than the main actors! :p

14. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    George had nothing to do with all this i read just now, but it was infact Rick McCallum who invited the hapless saps over to the studio, after they explained to him how much StarWars fans they were... geez!
    And also it says George will probably cut the nanosecond their in OUT!

15. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

My favorite comment I have heard made about this latest effort by Lucasfilm to destroy their fan base was made on the mtv website,
    where they are asking their site visitors what they think of NSYNC in a STAR WARS film.

It comes from an eighteen year old named
    KYLE from Philadelphia, PA.

"Just what STAR WARS needs...FIVE MORE JAR JARS."

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    LOL!

Well done KYLE, Well Done! [face_laugh]

17. Wald Balfed Your Mother

Wald Balfed Your Mother Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    "Just what STAR WARS needs...FIVE MORE JAR JARS."

Yeah, five more Jar Jars with less than 5 seconds of screen time. Whatever.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Rick M put them in the film. Not George L.

If you people would like to know what type of characters they're playing, pm me.

19. JediDa-cam18

JediDa-cam18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    I find this funny actually after I read that their cameo was so insignificant that it might not even make the final cut in which case all this commotion will be all for naught.

20. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    I have a feeling we all want the `scene' in the film, so we can complain.

21. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Too many people here need to get a life before it's too late. This is scary.

The only reason we even know about this is because they're celebrities. LFL had no plans to announce this, but in the end they confirmed it on request - the rumours were just flying high. They're extras in a scene with hundreds of extras, with no lines, with no close-ups, and the scene is even likely to get cut out from the final movie. And people say SW is dead...pull your heads out of ... you know.

I swear - about twice a year the sheer stupidity of fans on this site overwhelms me. [face_plain]

22. FOX1973

FOX1973 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2001
    Well, my last word on the subject.
    I really can't wait to sit in the Odeon Leicester Square on opening day, surrounded by squealing pre-pubescent girls (and some boys too- you should be ashamed!) who are there to spot John, Paul, Ringo, or whatever their names are.
    And the fact that the members of the group are SW fans means squat. Plenty of SW fans are dicks, and I don't want to see any of them in it either!

Uh, can I say 'dicks'?

23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    You can't say it, but you can mean it.

24. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Hmmm....

I have to say, as a massive fan of both Star Wars and pop music, the reaction to the news that N-sync are going to appear in a non-speaking role, in a single scene with "lots of extras" has really interested me. (Certainly more than the news itself anyway!)

I wonder what it is that's provoked the intense, negative reaction?

Could it be that it's a valid point that the appearance of celebrities reminds you of the real world, and detracts from the experience of being immersed in a fantasy galaxy far, far away?

Maybe... (Except every familiar actor has the same effect- from Guinness to McGregor...)

Could it be jealousy that some Star Wars fans were given a cameo appearance, and the moaning, whining hordes weren't even offered a part?

Possibly... (Although I don't remember any uproar when Samuel L. Jackson or Steve Sansweet were employed...)

Or could it be that the mere mention of a boy band is enough to send the snobbish fanboy Bashers (who apparently consider themselves some sort of spiritual guardians of the true Star Wars, and claim to be the only objective fans- hence the constant moaning, whining and general negativity...) into another Basher frenzy?

Probably...

The thing is, because the "underground" (ie. tomorrows big thing) is fashionable and trend setting, pop music is intrinsically unfashionable. But although it's primarily marketed towards children, (as anyone who has been to an office Christmas party will probably know,) the likes of S-Club 7's "Dont stop moving", Britney Spears "...Baby one more time" or Five's "If ya getting down" also has the power to whip so-called grown ups into a frenzy. Funnily enough, usually while the "cool" (as in "miserable") guys (and for some reason, it's nearly always guys...) sit and moan in the corner.

I know which part of the room I'd rather be in...

"They don't write their own songs."
    No- professional songwriters who know what they're doing write the songs. (They don't just pluck them out of the ether- as much blood, sweat and tears go into a Britney Spears song as a Beatles one!)
    They don't play their own instruments
    No- professional musicians play the instruments.

Meaning that while "traditional" musicians who write and play their own music let their egos take over as their careers slide into self-indulgent dirge, writing songs to show off their musicianship rather than evoke emotions (the cardinal sin as far as playing an instrument goes, IMHO), "pop stars" have someone else to do that for them, leaving them free to do their job, which is to look good.

And when a pop star does go into an ego-driven temper tantrum, it doesn't affect the music- it just makes for interesting stories in the tabloids!!! (Which makes for far more interesting stories than the "musical differences" when the the singer doesn't want to sing the guitarists new songs!)

Plus, a pop band isn't tied down by the bands intrinsic limitations.
    Songwriter loses his magic touch- get another one!
    Keyboardist runs off to India- replace them!
    Need an extra guitar part- get another guitarist!

No more worries that using the drum machine part that the latest song needs might upset the drummer!
    No more worries that the guitarist will have nothing to do in the verse!

Pop stars don't play boring extended instrumental solos to show off their musicianship.

And if you think that pop groups are the only ones who have a "fake, manufactured image", then you probably don't know much about the workings of the music industry...

Anyway, as long as Star Wars is guided from behind the scenes by one man, with an amorphous line-up of actors, writers, directors etc. then I think it's quite fitting that a pop band make a cameo appearance.

That said, I personally think that if any pop group should have appeared in Star Wars, it should have been the Backstreet Boys- if only to return the tribute to when they once came onstage on flying skateboards dressed as stormtroopers.
    8-}

25. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    Hmmm....

Or could it be that the mere mention of a boy band is enough to send the snobbish fanboy Bashers (who apparently consider themselves some sort of spiritual guardians of the true Star Wars, and claim to be the only objective fans- hence the constant moaning, whining and general negativity...) into another Basher frenzy?

Probably...

Up through this point, I was with you completely. However?

The thing is, because the "underground" (ie. tomorrows big thing) is fashionable and trend setting, pop music is intrinsically unfashionable.

Perhaps I?m misreading you, but unless you're stating that ?pop? music is intrinsically ?unpopular?, I think this phrase would need to have ?? to those ?cool? (as in "miserable") guys (and for some reason, it's nearly always guys...) [that] sit and moan in the corner,? appended to the end.

I know which part of the room I'd rather be in?

I?d rather not be in the room, honestly. Why? Well, let?s look at your other points:

"They don't write their own songs."

No- professional songwriters who know what they're doing write the songs.

On this we agree, but not for the same reason. These ?professional songwriters? for the types of bands referenced here are essentially producers who work for the studios with the sole intent to produce the same ?poppy? sound that the studio knows sells records. The intent is not to be original, different or even interesting. I mean, seriously ? do you think there?s a dime?s worth of difference between N?Sync, the Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, etc. etc. in terms of music quality or definition? (A similar argument could be made about Britney, Christina, Mandy, et al, but you see my point.)

Admittedly, it sells. Otherwise, it wouldn?t keep being produced over and over ad nauseum. But that?s the nature of pop music ? replicating that which sells at the moment. Originality is too risky a business prospect, and that?s why they wait until one of those ?underground? musical groups finally break through with a new sound (surely you remember the whole ?grunge? fad, which is a perfect example of what I?m talking about) before the break it down, copy it and put lots and lots more back out on the market.

And I can speak only for myself, but copied music bores me like few other things (except for maybe a ?canon? debate)! :D

They don't play their own instruments
    No- professional musicians play the instruments.

Meaning that while "traditional" musicians who write and play their own music let their egos take over as their careers slide into self-indulgent dirge, writing songs to show off their musicianship rather than evoke emotions (the cardinal sin as far as playing an instrument goes, IMHO), "pop stars" have someone else to do that for them, leaving them free to do their job, which is to look good.

Huh? That takes quite a few logical leaps to say that a musician who?s not allowed to be even remotely original in a studio setting ? and they?re not ? is capable of generating emotions when another musician who can express themselves on their instrument ? or at the very least be able to play them ? is not capable just demonstrates a little, well, ignorance of musicianship.

To whit, let me ask you this: why is it that artists like Santana, Clapton and Billy Joel still demand such a following? Here?s a hint: it ain?t because of the funky backbeat. To which one might answer, ?Well, sure ? but look who?s selling the most records nowadays.? True ? the musical taste of the average consumer (note I said ?average?, not ?all?) of pop music is the product of long, degenerative process of the elimination of arts and music. Think about it ? 20 years ago, young guitar players were practicing until their fingers bled to get down the new Clapton lick or solo. What does the music scene today offer in terms of that kind of inspiration for up-and-coming musician

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.