The Official Nsync's role in E2 thread

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Theedage, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metsuke Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hate boy bands, Britney Spears and all that crap that passes for music now a days as much as the next guy, but to say AOTC is going to blow because some members of N'suck will be in the background is ridiculous.
  2. Hatter Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, according to a new report, only 3 of the 5 members of *Nsync will be in the film.
    No Justin Timberlake, yay.
  3. NyLonathatep Jedi Knight

star 2
    I really wish we could stop talking about N´sync! its making me feel... silly
  4. Tyles Jedi Padawan

I do feel silly talking about this. Last I checked, I did see NSync in the teaser trailers or on the posters. Since they don't play named characters or have lines, not to mention the fact that not all five of them are in it, so it really shouldn't be an issue. The only one I can really point out is Mr. Brittney Spears ( Justin for those of you who actually watch and care about MTV ), and since he's not in it, I'm not distracted. My feeling is that someone in the press really felt the need to make this a headline so they can make fun of George and say that he's crazy when the bottom line is that he had nothing to do with it. Maybe that's over-reaching, but you see my point. Besides, this will quiet down by the time that the movie premieres. I mean, I think people had practically forgotten that Jimmy Smitts is in this one, and that was announced how long ago? Anyway, it's two scenes in a movie with MANY, MANY scenes and squences... it really just seems trival. Can we go back to talking about what we are going love about this one? ;-)
  5. Tyles Jedi Padawan

That first "did" should be a "didn't"... hope i didn't cause any panic there;-)
  6. Tyles Jedi Padawan

That first "did" should be a "didn't," so I hope I didn't cause any panic there;-)
  7. That_Flashing Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Pop stars don't play boring extended instrumental solos to show off their musicianship.

That, my friend. Is why they suck.

I can't respect any musician that doesn't play an instrument.
  8. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    I think this thread is about done.
  9. Theedage Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, I agree, admin, can we lock the thread? I've had enough talk of this and wish to see what happens.
  10. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Well I guess it could stay open, but I think we've mostly got it out of our system.
  11. Vezner Force Ghost

star 5
    I AM A TRUE FAN! AOTC WILL RULE NO MATTER WHAT! ;)
  12. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    It will rule, no doubt! But you just can't help but know that N*Sync is in it! Maybe they'll have two versions of EPII: Standard edition and special "N*Sync removed from the movie" edition. ;)
  13. Dark_Lady_Valeris Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've been trying to remove that piece of information from my brain, or at least push it into the background...

I don't think it can be done.

Valeris
  14. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

I can't respect any musician that doesn't play an instrument.

i can respect musicians that don't play instruments, assuming they write their own music/lyrics.

the beatles were a boy band. hear that? boy BAND. n*sync is not a boy band because they're not a band.
  15. Dayda_Amidala Jedi Knight

star 3
    Grow up guys, it's just a cameo. You probably won't even see their faces unless you're looking, which I assume most of you won't. And anyone who says they're NOT seeing it because of Nsync is lying and you know it.
  16. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

I am also very, very upset now that I've learned that in addition to puttin NSYNC in the movie for commercial purposes, that Lucasfilm has just firmed up a deal with STARBUCKS that will digitally alter the scene where Natalie and Hayden are discussing their love so that it will take place in a STARBUCKS coffee shop in a Galaxy Far, Far Away. The fiends! Is there NO LIMIT to the commercialization of STAR WARS?

I am livid. The STAR BUCKS sign in the scene will surely take us out of "the moment" and break the spell of the movie.
    Even more so than waiting for NSYNC to appear on screen.

STAR BUCKS
    STAR WARS
    The two go together like a cappacino and good conversation!

STAR BUCKS IN STAR WARS MEANS MORE BIG BUCKS FOR STAR WARS AND STAR BUCKS!

;)
  17. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    How cool is this? Lucas has his kids in the film!

Now we can b***h about that too.
  18. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Now we can boycott the opening weekend. ;)
  20. NyLonathatep Jedi Knight

star 2
    His kids? in EpisodeII ? THATS it!! im not going to see it! I really wished Peter Jackson was directing this film! Hrmph!

*sarcasm*
  21. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Qui-John,

Thanks for your reply.
    :)

>>>>On this we agree, but not for the same reason. These ?professional songwriters? for the types of bands referenced here are essentially producers who work for the studios with the sole intent to produce the same ?poppy? sound that the studio knows sells records. The intent is not to be original, different or even interesting. I mean, seriously ? do you think there?s a dime?s worth of difference between N?Sync, the Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, etc. etc. in terms of music quality or definition? (A similar argument could be made about Britney, Christina, Mandy, et al, but you see my point.)

I'd have to disagree. For example, while I personally find the sound of N-Sync to be bland, unmoving and dull, I find the works of, for example, Max Martin (Writer of "Baby One More Time", "Backstreets Back" and several others) great pieces of music. A shame he's no longer in the business...

Just because there is bad pop music, doesn't mean all pop is bad.

It's just as easy to ask if there's a difference between the Sex Pistols and Green Day... ;)

>>>>Huh? That takes quite a few logical leaps to say that a musician who?s not allowed to be even remotely original in a studio setting ? and they?re not ? is capable of generating emotions when another musician who can express themselves on their instrument ? or at the very least be able to play them ? is not capable just demonstrates a little, well, ignorance of musicianship.

My point was that "musicians" have a tendancy to want to show off their instrumental skills, as opposed to write songs. How many bands release a first album of great songs, then slide into the classic pitfall of adding ever longer, ever duller instrumental solos- if not for the sake of showing off, then for the sake of taking the limelight for a few moments on stage?

I prefer songs written to be a good song from start to finish, rather than a platform for a guitar hero to feed his/her ego.

>>>>To whit, let me ask you this: why is it that artists like Santana, Clapton and Billy Joel still demand such a following?
    Here?s a hint: it ain?t because of the funky backbeat. To which one might answer, ?Well, sure ? but look who?s selling the most records nowadays.? True ? the musical taste of the average consumer (note I said ?average?, not ?all?) of pop music is the product of long, degenerative process of the elimination of arts and music.

Interesting theory...

Think about it ? 20 years ago, young guitar players were practicing until their fingers bled to get down the new Clapton lick or solo.

Weren't you making a point about lack of originality in the derivative nature of pop music earlier?

Aren't thousands of children spending hours trying to sing and dance as well as their pop idols?

>>>>What does the music scene today offer in terms of that kind of inspiration for up-and-coming musicians? A dearth of musicians who actually have mastery over thei instrument, instead playing at the lowest common denominator of skill necessary to sell records, with no motivation for them to improve their skills.

I thought the punk explosion of 1977 put a stop to the theory that mastery over an instrument is necessary to convey emotion...

>>>>Is the corporation tired of the current boy band? Are the contract negotiations not going well? Replace them with another! You make my point better than I do. Basically, a ?band? or ?group? that can be easily replaced is not a band, but a ?product?.

True- but the actual band- ie. the faces that have had millions of dollars/pounds invested in them tend to stay the same. The musicians (ie. instrumentalists), songwriters, producers etc. can be chopped and changed according to the whims of the manager/record label.

>>>>Pop stars don't play boring extended instrumental solos to show off their musicianship.
    >>>>No, pop stars don?t play instrumental solos because they can?t.

But there's nothing stopping somone adding an extended guitar solo in the middle of a Backst
  22. FOX1973 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey! In the Starbucks commercial Anakin and Amidala could be served by Java the Hutt.

Sorry, no amount of apologies, no matter how heartfelt, can excuse bad puns.
  23. Lady Phoenix Jedi Master

star 4
    We definitely need to keep this thread open so we can lock all the other ones that keep getting started and send them here instead. ;)

As for the discussion at hand, since it's just a cameo (hence, no big deal), and Nsync are big fans, I think it's cool for them whether they have musical talent or not.
  24. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I don't think it's that big a deal to have Lucas's kids in AotC. His eldest daughter had a non-speaking part in TPM, and that didn't wreck the entire film, did it?
  25. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    `and that didn't wreck the entire film, did it?'

Ask a basher. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.