main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Nsync's role in E2 thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Theedage, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    If no one had pointed the cameo out, would it have bothered the bashers as much? I think it's just the press time they're getting that annoys the bashers. Or maybe they're just jealous because *they* wanted to be in it! ;)

2. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Heh, this week's Newsweek has a short article on the uproar over N Sync's cameo even mentioning this website.

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    The point is, NSync got a chance from Rick to live out every fans dream, to appear in a SW movie. Whether you like their music or not, be glad for them from this perspective.

And to those who think their appearance in AotC will bring millions of NSync fans to the theater, remember that the movie "On the Line" STARRING LANCE BASS and JOEY FATONE did not last long at the box office. And that aside from bashers, nobody complained when John Williams' "Duel of the Fates" was turned into a music video to attract the MTV crowd.

4. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    RandomNerd's post is so backwards it's making my head spin! It's like he's saying that all the things that are bad about pre-formed poop music are actually all good things! :confused:

If you want to go through life as a hollow, uncultured shell of a human being, be my guest. I prefer to listen to music that means something.

5. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

What you say is true, Krash. John William's Duel of the Fates was played on MTV to attract young music fans.

Of course, there's the issue of talent to be considered. John Williams is quite possibly the greatest composer of his time, and he has unparalelled success to back up that title. Virtually no sane person could argue that John Williams is not a legitimate talent.

NSYNC on the other hand, are not quite in Mr. William's league. In fact, many would say they are among the most talent-deficient performers in the world today.

You could virtually put marionette strings on Ken dolls and achieve the same effect as NSYNC. (OK, it's an exagreration, but you get my point.

6. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>>RandomNerd's post is so backwards it's making my head spin! It's like he's saying that all the things that are bad about pre-formed poop music are actually all good things!

:confused:
    You mean well-written songs, finely crafted stage shows and attractive performers are bad things?

>>>>If you want to go through life as a hollow, uncultured shell of a human being, be my guest. I prefer to listen to music that means something.

Likewise, there's nothing wrong with shutting yourself off to one of lifes small pleasures. But please don't pretend that ignoring popular culture makes you somehow better or more cultured, or that enjoying well crafted songs is "hollow".
    :)

7. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    "His eldest daughter had a non-speaking part in TPM, and that didn't wreck the entire film, did it?"

Wasn't she also the voice of one of those Neimodians, as well? Tey How, or someone?

8. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The eldest daughter Tyger was the voice of Tey How in The Phantom Menace. The younger daughter was Melee. She had one line in the film. Jett I don't think was in it.

9. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Teeny bopper pop music is the antithesis of well crafted songs. It's the difference between art and artifice.

"But please don't pretend that ignoring popular culture..."

I never said that I ignore pop culture. However, I do ignore blithe tripe, and I know tripe when I see it.

"You mean well-written songs, finely crafted stage shows and attractive performers are bad things?"

What in the name of Chrizist do stage shows and the appearances of the performers have to do with the music? That's the root of the problem right there: When the emphasis is on how marketable your face is, how good can the music possibly be?

10. Rinon Shadow Jedi

Rinon Shadow Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 1999
    I had my hateful "when did George Lucas sell out thread" locked because I forgot that i'm not the first or last person to hate N*Sync.

Anyways, I heard that N*Sync is very much visible in their dumb cameo.

If I have to see Lance "I stared in possibly the worst teen movie in history" Bass with his fat putty face and the others with their dumb hair cuts, I don't know who or what I'll have to kill to get the images out of my mind.

It just unnerves me to no end to have a stupid fake maufactured pop group in a sci-fi/fantasy movie.

I feel that N*Sync as Jedi takes some of the meaning of being a jedi and flushes it down the drain.

But, like a drone, I will buy a $9.00 ticket and contribute to GL's kids college education because I enjoy the damn series.

Curse you, George Lucas!

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Dude, just the fact that you even know their names and what they look like makes me wonder....

It's a split second cameo. It's not even the whole band. Get over it.

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The film will be fine. This 2 second cameo does not make the film. The other two hours do that.

13. Rinon Shadow Jedi

Jul 15, 1999
    I'm over exaggerating my hate for them being in it, but I don't understand when the idea even came up to have a boy band in this movie.

And I bet you with all the damn exposure these guys get, nearly everyone on this board knows a name of one of the members of N*Sync. Don't play likr you've never seen their videos or seen them being interviewed. That's mainly why I don't want them in the movie. They get press for being a manufactured band and they'll get even more attention and they might even get a lot of people who don't care about SW to see the movie.

Don't you think it's ridiculous to even have them in the movie? Does SW need publicity that bad? Can't it just stand on its own with the great actors who are in it?

Damn, I gotta stop being so long winded!

14. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Well them being in the film is pointless, for sure.

`Don't play like you've never seen their videos or seen them being interviewed.'

Actually, I never have. :)

15. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I never have either. It's not like I haven't seen some cheesy videos. Just not them.

And Lucas isn't doing this for publicity. There was no press release from Lucasfilm on this. I'm sure he'd know this would cause more of a backlash than publicity.

16. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I am not quite sure what the big deal is. They are going to be in the background for only about a few seconds in the midst of a battle. You probably wouldn't even notice them until you get the DVD and play the scene frame by frame and have someone point them out to you.

17. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>>Teeny bopper pop music is the antithesis of well crafted songs. It's the difference between art and artifice.

Please enlighten me as to why your preferred style of music (whatever it may be) is superior. Does it use secret notes that pop stars aren't allowed to use? Or maybe hidden chords?

I honestly don't undertand what you're trying to say (other than "I don't like pop music".)

>>>>I never said that I ignore pop culture. However, I do ignore blithe tripe, and I know tripe when I see it.

Good for you. So do I. (That's why I don't know what N-Sync look like.)

>>>>What in the name of Chrizist do stage shows and the appearances of the performers have to do with the music? That's the root of the problem right there: When the emphasis is on how marketable your face is, how good can the music possibly be?

As good as the songwriters (whose face is unimportant and unmarketed- the way it should be) can make it.

Meanwhile, "proper" bands don't get anywhere without a marketable face either. That's just the state of the record industry, and it's because of the shallowness of the record-buying public.

If you would rather go to a concert and stare at your shoes/the wall/the floor/the inside of your eyelids, then fair enough. When I go to a concert I want to be entertained. When I watch a music video, I want to be entertained. Good pop music is entertaining.

18. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    All this fuss about N'Sync is drumming up such negative vibes, I wouldn't be surprised if thier scene wasn't dropped completely ;) .

19. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Quote:

I don't understand when the idea even came up to have a boy band in this movie.

I don't think the idea was to have a boy band in AotC. I suspect that NSync, being as geeky fans as the rest of us (despite what their PR guys would like us to think), begged to be in the movie. Because they're famous and photogenic, Lucas probably said, "What the heck?" If only the rest of us could be so lucky! It's a fan's dream come true!

Quote:

And I bet you with all the damn exposure these guys get, nearly everyone on this board knows a name of one of the members of N*Sync.

Actually, I don't know any of their names and, visually, I mix them up with all the other boy bands so I couldn't tell you if I'd recognize them out of context or not. I may have seen one of their videos, but then again it could have been Backstreet Boys... ;)

20. Rinon Shadow Jedi

Jul 15, 1999
    If N*Sync's role in episode 2 isn't even that impoirtant, then why even have them in the movie at all.

I would have not complained at all if one of the members of N*Sync actually had acting talent and tried out for an actual speaking part in SW II.

If you've ever seen N*Sync on TV, they kida deserve their fame, but if you have to have crappy (and I do mean crappy) songwriters write your meaningless songs for you, then you don't deserve to be in ANY movie.

The extras who are doing this scene probably don't have a pot to dump in and when the movie is over, no one will really remember them. But N*Sync is just bringing attention to this movie that doesn't need to be there.

I'm going to quit my useless babble, but If 12 year old girls are screaming and hollering in the theatre when I'm wathing Ep II, I'm cracking skulls!

21. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
  22. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    But you're a good egg and realise it's all for the greater good. :D

Especially when that message board comes back up.

First I ask Mariah if she'll go crazy again and next... [face_laugh]

23. LtKettch

LtKettch Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2000
    According to the TFN front page, Joey Fatone has said that their scene has been cut from AOTC because of all the fuss that's been made.

I'm kinda happy that they won't be in it, but he seemed pretty dissapointed. I guess I would be if I was in his position. But I'm not. :D

24. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    They should have kept them in. I don't like Lucas caving in to the rabid fanatical fringe of Star Wars geekdom.

As a punishment, he should make Jar Jar a more central character for both EP II & III. BWHAHAHAHA !

25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Caving in?!
    Caving in was sacrificing art for pop culture in joke,
    fantasy for marketing.

Let's not be so naive as to think RM didn't let them in with an eye towards marketing to millions of young girls.

If it was Lucas' idea from the start, then cutting it out would be caving in.
    This was simply waking up and correcting a mistake (IMHO).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.