main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Eps II & III Discussion and Speculation Thread: Part 5***

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by naw ibo, May 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    This is gonna be the most stupid thing I have ever suggested, coz pigs will fly before it's true. But what if Anakin's not the Chosen One and Luke's not either? What if *Obi-Wan* was?

I always found it quite weird that no other Jedi appeared the way Obi-Wan did, kind of like a ghost... I know that Anakin and Yoda appeared in the fire with Obi-Wan, but not like a spirit...

And to all the people who spell Obi-Wan as OB1, he's gonna turn into a robot soon enough!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Dorian

Dorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 1999
    Valiowk,

That adorable smirky picture is located at none other than theforce.net in its prequels multimedia section, under characters. I've got the URL memorized.

Your idea isn't stupid; it's just not something George is going to do. *Anakin* is pretty firmly entrenched as his chosen one, but Obi-Wan's life certainly ends up as a sacrifice to Anakin's cause, doesn't it? Certainly would add flavor to the saga if Obi-Wan was discovered to have some predetermined role as well.

As far as another cutie patootie picture, this one really shows that the man needs to go swimming in that tropical lagoon on some lovely planet.
    From the marvelous Miss Claude Marcotte....

Can we all http://www.geocities.com/kmonge_30/jpegs/mew.gif in unison? Nummy yummy....sorry guys....
    http://www.dsuper.net/~leia/Ewan/Claude_Ewan_03.jpg

3. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    Ahhh phooey!!!!!!

&@#$&*@###@@@!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 05-15-2000).]

4. Darth Atari

Darth Atari Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2000
    first of all, there's no disputing that OB1 rules!

as far as his evolving character is concerned, I really enjoyed how he was portrayed in RP... how he is sort of reserved or "uptight"... and especially the challenge of being a young master (is he young to be a master? is this a comment on the trials and travails of being a young parent? hmm...)

as far as the "lurve triangle" is concerend, god, i freakin' hope not! it would be nice if OB1 got his own lady at some point during the next 2 films, but not amidala! that would be stupid...

and i hope he isn't the scapegoat of anakin's fall... natrually he will carry the burden of anakins fall for the rest of his life, as any parent would (the master/padawan realtionship is a parenting relationship), but anakin's fall should be wholly upon anakin... reguardless of the circumstances of his fall, the fall must be anakin's responability alone (considering, of course, palapy's insidious machinations... the old b-a-s-t-a-r-d!)

5. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    http://www.geocities.com/kmonge_30/jpegs/mew.gif

Sorry... have to go clean up after all the drooling!

cool.gif

[This message has been edited by ObiWanJane (edited 05-15-2000).]

6. Kafer

Kafer Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 17, 2000
    Seems like someone over in the other thread mentioned something about Ewan making plaid pants look good with his charisma.

http://ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/random64.jpg

Also, another submission for the bearded Obi-Wan:

http://ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/moviestar24.jpg

7. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    Real men wear plaid. Rather nicely I might add.

The quintessential cutie patootie beard picture.

http://ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/random73.jpg

As for the matter of Episode 2, how much "messing up" on Obi-Wan's part would serve the story angst wise/dramatically without being *too* much? (in other words, enought to blame Anakin's fall on)

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 05-15-2000).]

8. Rhui Chatar

Rhui Chatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one-fan:
    Running with scissors? Be careful.
    I'm wondering more about long hair-a la Qui-Gon Jinn. Would Obi-Wan want to emulate his late master? (EMcG looks good with long hair)

Now that's something to look forward too!
    A beard AND Long Hair on the McG. Can't wait til they start leaking some of those pics.

[Qui-Gon returns] I said you were I wiser man that I[/Qui-Gon returns]
    RC

9. one-fan

one-fan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by naw ibo:
    Okay, to try and get off this focus on the physical....

I was thinking about the ending of EP III the other day and wondered if perhaps Obi-Wan and Vader do meet after their (hopefully) epic lightsaber battle in which (hopefully) Obi-Wan pulls another rabbit out of his hat and manages defeats the dear little-all-growed-up Chosen One? Vader would obviously be in his suit now.

I don't mean a personal one-on-one meeting(kind of defeats the whole "when I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master" speech Vader gives in ANH) but perhaps there is some big battle on a planet or in space and the Empire wins it obviously(also a parallel to the Rebellion's victory at the end of ROTJ), destroying all the ships or defensive locations on the planet and they believe perhaps Obi-Wan is killed there(among others, like Amidala possibly). However, of course, there is no body, so it always left open the possibility of his not being dead. So that could be why Vader is so certain so quickly it must be Obi-Wan on the Death Star(besides The Force of course), because he always had thought perhaps he wasn't really dead anyway(he'd be familiar with his former master's tenacity of course ).

Anyway, it's just a thought. Not a very good one, but there it is! Stupid? Impossible? A silver star for effort, but an F for execution?

[This message has been edited by naw ibo (edited 05-15-2000).]

I think you ought to get an "A" for foresight (and why are we talking about grades? Ugh!)

I have often thought that the ending of Ep. III should be something like you describe-why else would Tarkin think Obi-Wan was dead? And I think that Anakin should go into the pit (or whatever happens to him at the final personal duel between he and Obi-Wan) ought to be about halfway through Ep. III. Then, after every one thinks that Anakin is dead, he comes back in the Vader suit and is the deciding factor in the final battle, which plays out as a terrible defeat for the anti-Imperial side. (You want angst? How about Ben all alone in a ship with baby Luke on the way to Tatooine, knowing what a monster he helped to create, and that the tiny child he is saving could be just as bad, if not worse. Com transmissions from a bunch of Jedi who are giving up their lives to deceive Obi-Wan's pursuers and aid in the escape would add to the misery. Or they could all be reviling him- as in "Curse you, Obi-Wan Kenobi, this is all your fault!")

10. Noah's Dove

Noah's Dove Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2000
    I love all your decorations. Dorian, your collection is magnificent! You have all proven that we should feel very happy with ourselves for choosing the most beautiful jedi to care for!

As for the question about the hair length, I once read a fan-fiction where this topic was explored. (When I find out the title, I'll post it). In the story, Obi-Wan kept his hair short, as a memorial to the way he was when he lost his master. It was a way of keeping it how he did as a padawan, and maintaining his connection to Qui-Gon, before that era could be ripped away from him. I think that the writer creating that idea for him is very sweet. However, I also imagine the Jedi Council would not allow him to "stay in the past" in that way, that he must "move on". So, we may see the longer hair.

11. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    Personally, I hope they show Obi-Wan messing up with Anakin a bit, being too strict with him in an effort to train him as well as Qui-Gon trained him. Maybe we've got it all wrong, and the eventual problem is that Obi-Wan doesn't feel that he can let up at all because he's too tortured by memories of his master's death. It could lend great drama and angst to a potential show down between the two rife with emotional strife. Just as Qui was sometimes demanding of Obi-Wan, yet Obi-Wan obviously felt the greatest respect and affection for his teacher, so too could Anakin try too hard to impress Obi-Wan and earn his respect and approval. Maybe Anakin might take too many chances with Palpatine, thinking that he, as the chosen one, could overcome.
    Or maybe not--delicious angstsy possibilities are running rampant in my head.

Also, big OT below. I couldn't post a link because this was scanned off of Variety's most recent publication, (which I don't have) by another poster elsewhere. It's a review of Ewan's latest--"Nora," decidedly mixed at best. (The reviewer of the Irish Times liked the film much better) It's written by Joe Leydon.
    He doesn't care for the film's take on Joyce the man (much like DeClan Burke of the UK times) but he has some nice things to say about Ewan's performance. This is not a review that a Keanu Reeves or Leo or a Joshua Jackson could ever hope to get, because they wouldn't have a prayer playing a realistic Joyce. I'm just impressed with EM's range is all, so I thought I'd share. The review has a few suggestive references, so don't proceed if you are squeemish.
    /
    /
    /Review below:
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    Grand passions are announced, discussed and exhaustively over-analyzed, but there isn't
    enough dramatic or sensual heat in "Nora," a handsomely produced but prosaic period piece
    aimed at upscale, literary-savy auds. Clearly a labor of love for actor Ewan McGregor-
    cofounder of Natural Nylon Entertainment, one of the international production partners - Pat Murphy's tony study of James Joyce's love life might ignite minor controversies here and there because of story's sexual content. It's doubtful however, that notoriety will fuel ticket sales. More likely,"Nora" will fare better as video and cable fare.

Murphy and co-writer Gerard Stembridge adapted their script from Brenda Maddox's well-received biography of Nora Barnacle, the spirited servant girl who became the lifelong
    lover, muse and ego wrangler of Irish author James Joyce. "Nora" dramatizes the often stormy relationship between the two strong-willed individuals as rife with petty jealousies, prideful conflicts and harsh betrayals. Fortunately for both parties, the conversations are stimulating-in every sense of the word - and the sex is terrific.

Joyce (McGregor) and Nora (Susan Lynch) meet cute on a Dublin street in 1904. He's a
    preening young man with literary ambitions; she's a resilient young woman who came to the
    big city to find work as a chambermaid. "Nora?" he responds when he hears her name "Like in Ibsen?" "What's Ibsen?" Nora asks, blissfully ignorant of "A Doll's House." Joyce is amused by her gumption. He's also pleased when, on the first date, she enthusiastically masturbates him while they're huddled together on a dark street.
    Instinctively suspicious of Joyce's snobbish friends, Nora encourages her lover's critical
    attitudes about his tradition-bound religion-dominated homeland and readily agrees to accompany him on a move to Trieste.

In the years that follow, Joyce vacillates between despair and exhuberance in his efforts to become a published author. He seeks inspiration from Nora- and without her approval transforms an incident from her youth into a key plot element in his greatest short story, "The Dead" - but repeatedly complains about her seeming indifference toward his work. He enjoys her lusty and unself-conscious approach to lovemaking. But he also wonders how many other lovers she has had - and might be planning to have.
    They have two children together, yet Joyce remains mistrustful of Nora. Whenever he's

12. StarTours

StarTours Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have often thought that the ending of Ep. III should be something like you describe-why else would Tarkin think Obi-Wan was dead?

Actually, one-fan, I think the ANH line goes more like, "Surely he must be dead by now?" to which Vader replies, "Don't underestimate the Force" -- please correct me if I've got the lines wrong, people

If I've remembered correctly, that would inidicate to me that Obi Wan disappeared in the sands of time (a popular metaphor on Tatooine), rather than was specifically thought of as dead anytime in the PT. If Tarkin assumes Obi Wan must have died of old age by ANH, then he presumably thinks he's lived hidden somewhere all that time and died in exile, not at some specific battle. Which again raises the whole, threadbare question of how do Obi Wan and Yoda successfully disappear from Vader's 'wrath' for so long? We'll see in 2-5 years

As for the beard, I have no thoughts one way or the other, I leave that debate up to you ladies. But I draw the line at any hint of whiskers on our fair Natalie, period!! On this issue I cannot be moved!

Now where did Mac leave the number for those drool-drain repair Wookies?

~ST

13. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    ST, Oh, I don't know a small mustache might really look lovely on Miss Portman . Yeah, MacTusken never told me where the drool drainage repair wookiees were kept. I think after this page, we are in serious need of them .

As for Tarkin/Vader thinking Obi-Wan is dead or not, I think that is where the missing body comes in. There is always this possibility that he might not be dead and just sort of "slunk away", humiliated. A young Vader certainly would believe that, part of the reason he is in that position is because of his overconfidence. Tarkin is also familiar with Kenobi and probably wouldn't be surprised by his surviving but he also obviously doesn't think too much of this "Force" thing, so to him, while the guy is a serious thorn, he might figure to leave well enough alone.

I could see Vader actually not believing Obi-Wan was dead and wanting to continue searching and Palpatine forbidding it. I know that seems strange; of all people you'd think he would make Vader go after him but then again Obi-Wan did, apparently, land Vader in that suit, when he was a whole person, not half machine. The Emperor, who is always foreseeing things, could "foresee" that the time to fight Kenobi is not now but later. When he is "old" he will come to Vader and Vader will "destroy" him. Of course, Emperor won't forsee that "destroying" him will make him more powerful and sow the seeds of his own destruction.(Addendum: Ooh, how about Obi-Wan wants to face Vader again too, for whatever reason, not necessarily to kill him...and Yoda tells him no as well, teaches him that disappearing trick, etc.--then there would be this sort of parallel between Yoda and Palpatine as ultimate light side master and ultimate dark side master--Okay that is prob. kind of far-out )

Valiowk, I agree with Dorian it is pretty clear Anakin is the Chosen One, but perhaps Obi-Wan does have some part in the prophesies as well. I think that would be quite interesting. I like to think of our Obi-Wan as having some special role to fulfil.

Dorian, that scenario wouldn't surprise me. I've always thought perhaps Obi-Wan error was on the side of too lenient or too hard. Anakin is very gifted, he has started training WAY late, it actually makes a lot of sense to be "hard" on him. I mean, I've always kind of thought that if Qui Gon was hard on Obi-Wan it was because he felt Obi-Wan had a lot of potential and wanted to be sure he lived up to it. Anakin obviously is this to the extreme, so I could certainly see Obi-Wan doing much the same thing. Only Anakin, of course, not having been raised a Jedi, doesn't necessarily take it the right way and Obi-Wan not being very experienced doesn't realize it and alter his training accordingly. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon overall probably found their disagreements more stimulating than anything else because they trusted each other, they respected each other and they cared about each other. Anakin may take being pushed hard more "personally" because he is more insecure, due to his upbringing as a slave, the circumstances of his entry into the Jedi, etc. He'll really have a need to prove he's "the best" and may feel he's "reached" it but Obi-Wan may still feel he has more to learn, not physically, but emotionally, mentially, spiritually. This is where we get the whole think about Anakin's impatience.

Of course, it still sort of comes down to, was Obi-Wan really wrong to be hard on Anakin? So it still can come down to "Who's Fault Is It Anyway?"

14. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Okay, I came in for a peek since the link to this thread is on my thread Oath and Sacrifice and I must say WOW! I could get in deep about the whole Obi-Wan Kenobi thing (it's practically a black hole) but I think I'll save that for another day

I love the pics Those are a wonderful addition to the discussion.

Somewhere in the many threads there's been a discussion over the luv triangle theory. I used to be in some support, but now I've grown attached to the (although probably not going to happen) idea of a relationship or friendship between Obi1 and the decoy Queen Sabe. Think about it, they were stuck on Tatooine together, bored stiff. And there's a shot in the movie when Amidala reveals herself and Qui-Gon glances at Obi and he kinda smiles to himself (an adorable smile I might add). Just a thought

One of these days I'll get into one of my Obi theories, but I have to head for bed.

15. one-fan

one-fan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My parents find it extremely funny that their 18 year old daughter just turned into a SW nut.

My *kids* think I'm really funny. But I was a SW fan before they got here.

Naw Ibo does your e-mail work?

16. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Just to send this up!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Jedi Shali

Jedi Shali Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    This question has been bugging me for awhile, I've asked it in threads more appropriate to the topic, but haven't gotten an answer. I wonder if there is an answer.

Q: If a Master dies while still training a padawan, and the padawan REALLY isn't ready to take the trials (say he only started training a couple years ago), what happens to the padawan??

Maybe not even a couple years into training. Just say (total scenario) if Qui-Gon had been killed by Maul and Obi-Wan wasn't ready for the trials! Imagine how different the SW Universe would be!!

Despite my dislike for the EU I might just read Rogue Planet.

My parents think it's creepy that their nearly 19 year old daughter STILL likes Star Wars.... they had no idea what they were getting into when they showed me the SW movies at six years old! I don't think any of us knew what we were getting into when we first saw these movies..

18. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Hello one and all

Jedi Shali, I've never actually seen anything official on this subject so this is just my opinion but I would think they would probably be given to another master to complete training. If the padawan otherwise seems to progressing normally, I don't see why they wouldn't continue with his or her training. The Jedi are an "elite" group(I'm not talking about their attitude here&lt;g&gt; ), supposedly there are only 10,000 of them in a galaxy of hundreds of planets and billions of people. Alot of effort and time goes into each individual padawan's training. It would seem a waste to not continue it under someone else if possible.

You know I hate to pat myself on the back here (and I'm sure I'll regret it) but looking at what I wrote the other day, that wasn't a bad idea about Palpatine telling Vader he "foresees" he will meet Kenobi again. The rest of it is pretty much junk but having the Emperor do that could solve alot of "supposed" problems and it fits with the characterization of Palpatine. And if GL wants to save the "surprise" of Kenobi's death in EP IV for future generations, nothing needs to be mentioned about his actual death at Vader's hands. All Palpatine needs to say to Vader is something along the lines of there being no need to chase after him someday he will come to you, etc.

Actually maybe too much thought is going into this...even though much has changed from the initial draft of ANH, in the first draft, the Kenobi-like character wasn't sought even he was known by a few to have survived the purge simply because he was considered too dangerous. Depending on what GL does in the next ep, it could still be essentially true.

19. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Off topic warning
    Well I think my mom realized how far gone I was when I picked up TPM bandaides the other day at Wal Mart. LOL Not that I ever cut myself anyway. In fact I can't remember th last time I did. But we didn't have any in our bathroom so it was a good excuse

Hehehehe I finally found out about kilts. You know I heard a rumor, it goes like this. "Scot men don't wear undies under their kilts. If you ask them if they aren't, they have to prove it."
    Well I found out if it was true. All I have to say is, if you ever meet Ewan, and he is wearing a kilt. DON'T ASK. okay? ROFLOL
    tongue.gif

20. Jedi Knight Seyrah

Jedi Knight Seyrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 1, 1999
    Well hello . . .

I am seeing new Ewan pics that I have not seen before. This is good!! Naw ibo, excellent job on indexing the threads etc.

I wish I had something constructive to contribute but all I have is a word of caution for our young friend, as one who is dating a Scot, trust me, it's better not to ask.

I don't think the height variable will be much of a big deal for Obi-wan . . . remember, after spending Episode I in Liam Neeson's gargantuan 6'5 shadow, this Hayden guy will be no big deal . . .

BTW . . . that pic that made on viewer sick somehow made me drool on my keyboard. Funny . . .

Anyway, great job on the fifth (MY GOD!!) incarnation of this thread . . . cheers!

21. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Jedi Knight Seyrah your dating a Scot???
    Where'd you meet him? Or do you live over there.: LOL If I ever met someone from over there I would faint in surprise. As someone who lives in Oklahoma. LOL

[This message has been edited by JediKnight-Obi-Wan (edited 05-18-2000).]

22. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    Jedi Knight-Obi-Wan, you're also an Oklahoman?

Wow, we are so few and far between on the forum.

Picture?
    http://ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/random74.jpg
    Unretouched, not glossy. Cute.

23. Jedi Shali

Jedi Shali Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    Cute pic Dorian But if you want to talk about few and far between in this forum you should talk about Canadians! A whole country and I only know of two representatives for sure : me and Darth Canuck.

Naw Ibo thanks for that input! I pretty much figured the same thing, I was just hoping it would have been mentioned in the EU somewhere. I think your opinion is right.

ahh now for some pics of our favourite scot:
    http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hannahh/gq1.jpg

And now for a black and white one since I like B&W photography and Ewan just looks so damn good in them! I like the one Dorian had in the old thread when he was in the leaves, and the one on the first page of the old thread when he's got his spikes and sideburns going...okay i'll stop drooling/rambling now and just post the pic!

http://pages.unisonfree.net/janna/ewan/shoot/shoot4.jpg

that one came from the truly wonderful http://pages.unisonfree.net/janna/ewan/main.html over.to/ewan website.

[This message has been edited by Jedi Shali (edited 05-18-2000).]

24. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Dorian, yeah I live in Okiehoma. LOL I think I read a LONG time ago that you live in OKC?????? Am I right??? If so, you don't live far from me.

Jedi Shali, I can't name them, but I've seen quite a few canadians on this board. I think it may have been in JC community, if you dare venture in there. LOL

25. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Okay, it looks like my post from last night never did make it through. So let's try it again .

Now, a thread, Forum7/HTML/005670.htmlIsn't Qui-Gon being a little insensitive? , over on the TPM board got me thinking on one of my old pet peeves. So seeing as I hadn't discussed it in a while I pulled out the old quotes:

"The Federation are cowards. The negotiations will be short"(True or not, it surprised me at the time)

"What are you, brainless?"

"The ability to speak does not make one intelligent."

...and so forth. Of course there is also the thoughtful way he ditched Obi-Wan in front of the Council. It isn't even that he let him go like that with no warning, its the way he did it. Mind you I basically consider this part of Obi-Wan's "trial" now, because that is what it pretty much ended up being but still. Now I'm not here to bash him, because I like the guy, but what I would like are some opinions:

What are some your opinions as to why Qui-Gon is "sainted" by so many people whereas Obi-Wan, who certainly didn't say any thing worse and to me actually didn't say anything as bad(other than the possibly the loading the dock), is constantly referred to as arrogant, etc? By which I don't mean *is* Qui Gon arrogant or *is* Obi-Wan arrogant necessarily, just why do you think the views of them are different.

JK Seyrah, thanks for the compliments. Hayden is a good 2 to 4 inches shorter than Liam(depending on which measurements you go by) so you're right, it shouldn't be too bad. They might not even have to stick Ewan on any boxes this time around. I mean it isn't like he is short. He's around 5'10" give or take an inch.

Anyway, so long as Obi-Wan is kicking arse, I don't care how much taller Anakin is than him!! And GL had BETTER have him kicking some .

[This message has been edited by naw ibo (edited 05-19-2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.