main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Eps II & III Discussion and Speculation Thread: Part 5***

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by naw ibo, May 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    My my God! Look at this icon!

There is a God....

Where the hell did everybody go? [face_plain]

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Do you really want to know? :p

3. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Dunno, I'm still here, haunting the boards.

4. Polaris_Fett

Polaris_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, there's a surprise. ;) What are you, the ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi? :)

I know I've been gone awhile when AOTC is no longer the top forum on the main menu. :(

Jovieve already knows what I think about Anakin (probably more than she needs to, come to think of it...), but let me just say I agree with her completely on the issues of his past. The Chosen One the boy may be, but great $%!# hitting the fan I fear in his training. This is why it always cracks me up how people go on about *Obi-Wan* being ivory tower. He's the one who has to deal with raising Anakin. What the hell WAS Gui-Gon thinking, dragging Ani away without a thought about how he would grow? You know the saying, Give me a child for the first seven years of his life and I will show you the man? Well, you'd think the Jedi would be more on to this, since they only accept initiates at a very young age. There is a reason for that, and Anakin little *bleep* though he can be, had a harder time of it than most as a child (ok it's not made explicit in the movie, but come on...the kid was a slave. At the very least, he probably got beaten a few times in his life, as well as not having the freedom to do much or think much on his own). I shudder to think what would have occured if Qui-Gon had tried to raise Anakin, and expected the simple, automatic obedience he seems to require of Obi-Wan. Anakin would either have learned, in time, to be a very disciplined, flexible, calm person...or bad bad things would have occurred! Children can be very flexible and resilient, but they are not programmable, nor are they clones to be ordered about. Anakin got a sensible, aware, compassionate master out of pure luck, because clearly not all Jedi masters are like that.

I like Jovieve's comment about lifetime therapy because that what it seems to be what he needs; nothing else seems to be working! ( I will refrain from the obvious remarks about the benefits of shock therapy for Anakin at this point...and anyone who makes any comments about therapy for my love-hate thing for Anakin is getting a slap!) Obi-Wan is willing to listen and help, but Anakin doesn't let him because he's still in that adolescent independent stage, and you get the feeling his past isn't something that he wants people to know about him. Chosen One and all. It may be part of the reason he didn't head home sooner, since obviously it wasn't the rules themselves that were stopping him from going home. Maybe he simply didn't have the opportunity to do so before, but still, he doesn't seem all that GLAD to see Watto, now does he?

It is interesting, though, that you don't see Anakin whining to Yoda or Mace. Or Palpatine, either...he's all polite words and quiet attentiveness around him, the exact opposite of his attitude towards Obi-wan. I think that secretive streak, as well as his pride, would probably prevent that. Obi-Wan even broaching an issue related to his past life (such as Anakin's dreams about his mother) cause him to clam up because to talk about it would mean he actually has some kind of problem and he doesn't know everything. Therapy, indeed. :p

Ah, well...at least some of us have realized the therapeutic effects of Obi-Wan. :D

Naw, I have decided that Watson needs therapy for her Qui-Gon issues. She clearly has some kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder, and if it's not focused on Obi-Wan she should damn well keep it to herself. Er, what I mean is, she doesn't write him very well because of her Qui-Gon issues, which is inappropriate since she is now writing Obi-Wan sans Qui-Gon. That's what I meant! She's the one living in the past, not Obi-Wan. You just want to Force crush her and explain to her in detail that Qui-gon is dead. DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! What, do I have to sing it? DEAD! Then she would get all upset and she'd know how she's made her readers feel, treating Obi-Wan like a one dimensional character to make up for her own, and then she would leave forever and we could get a good writer. Or, we could stay in this galaxy and just realise Watson sucks Bantha rocks...but I like th

5. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    LOL! [face_laugh]

Good catch, Naw! Me and another friend also wondered why there wasn't an Obi-Wan Valentine postcard.

6. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Polaris, :=D==D=:: Brava!!! Brava!!!

You rant with the best of them!!. I'm with you on all that. :D

I think Anakin was lucky to get Obi-Wan as a master, unfortunately Obi-Wan wasn't lucky to get Anakin as a student. :) He's got a student who pushes his away despite his attempts, from various angles(so it isn't like he doesn't show flexibility), to connect and communicate with him. He's got the council undermining his authority by basically ignoring his concerns, he's got Palpatine undermining his authority by encouraging Anakin to do things that are directly at odds with what Obi-Wan is trying to teach him.

Don't even get me started again on the sense of humor thing. But that is the thing that convinces me it isn't just my Obi-Wan "bias" which has me not liking her portrayal. For her to go on and on and ON about his lack of a sense of humor is just mindboggling. As you say, he's the wittiest character in the prequels. Even more than that it isn't just something he's developed in AOTC, it was already there in more nascient form in TPM and he manges to keep it even in ANH, after everything he's been through. But Watson is clueless and there is just no hope for her in terms of writing Obi-wan's character so that he bears any resemblance to the one in the films. It's just too bad that trainwreck of series has the Lucasbooks label on it.

7. Polaris_Fett

Jun 15, 2002
    *wonders vaguely where Jovieve's attention span has gone* *has a few theories about that one*

...... *blinks* Oh, sorry! *hands Naw back her coat and hat* Thanks, Naw!

;) :D

Naw, trust me,if there is one thing I can do...it is rant. :)I can also bitch and complain, just to add some variety. RE: Obi-Wan's wit...there's a thread up right now talking about best and worst lines...my vote for him was that he didn't have any bad lines or deliveries. :D Any iffy ones...eh, I just kept to myself. ;) I didn't say the lines and delivery where Yoda and Mace walk all over Obi-Wan's authority were lame because that was just the scene that bothered me. Everyone seems to like "Good job". It IS one of his best, really. :) I wonder if people like it purely for the sarcasm or because it is directed at Anakin and because it is in that particular situation? I like all of those elements, personally...well, that and Smart Boy can't think of a decent comeback. :) Me? I would have said "Yeah, you too, Master!" Of course, then Anakin would be dead...oh well. :)

*reads Ewan-Kenobi's post* What icon? And where the hell did Ewan-Kenobi go? ;)

8. Polaris_Fett

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh, way to kill the thread, Polaris....

Obi-Wan: Good job.

Oh, be quiet.

Where is everyone? [face_plain]

Sigh. Care for a game of sabacc, Obi-Wan?

9. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    You're just poison, Polaris!
    :mad:

See what you did? Ran EVERYONE off.

I, of course, am immune to your dark powers, muhahahah. :cool:

Yeah, I'm tired, it's late here.

Ciao, bellas.

10. Polaris_Fett

Jun 15, 2002
    Looks like I did, eh? Oh well, more room for Obi-Wan and me. ;) He likes to play sabbac, anyway. He gets all in a huff when I beat him at strip poker...

And I am not poison. I prefer to think of myself in terms of the effects of death sticks. ;) Anyway. :) It takes a Sith to know a Sith, J.

Sigh. Where is everyone?

Oh well, I guess it's up to me to state the obvious, then.

Obi-Wan RULES!!!

What? His cheering section is getting thin of late. You know, this is how you tell the Masters from the Padawans...who sticks it out in between the long, dry, dark stretches between movies. ;)

11. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Hey there Polaris!

I am still around, but mostly in the EIII spoilers forum, desperately hoping for some spolier crumbs to come my way! I wonder what Obi-wan is upto, right now? Fighting in the Clone wars? Probably a general? He is obviously not stuck for all time, in that last scene with Yoda/Mace. After some rehabilitation therapy on the arm and the leg, he must be good as new. Has he found out about Anakin's transgressions? How is he dealing with it all? Has he found a friend in Bail? Is he busy investigating Dooku and cohorts? Is he honing his saber skills? I long to know and catch up with him, but alas, only GL knows Obi's number! :_|

12. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Actually that's a good question, what is Obi-Wan doing now? Unfortunately Lucas won't reveal his number, so we'll just have to guess. :D

That's probably something we could discuss in the spoiler thread(it is so hard to have a spoiler thread when there are not really any spoilers yet. :) ) Where are they now?

13. Darth_Envy

Darth_Envy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 20, 2002
    Hey everyone! Please pardon the interruption. I just wanted to let you know that the JC is currently voting for a President. Please click on the link in my sig for the election poll and vote. I hope you would vote for me, but even if you don't please take the time to vote. Thanks!

D_E

Darth_Envy and Leonard Shelby...The smartest dumb choice you can make!

14. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    I'm afraid to ask, being a quiet supporter of Obi-Wan, but who is this Watson author and just how badly is she destroying his character?

15. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    Qonas

Jude Watson writes EU for the Scholastic series (books for pre-teens) and she has the Jedi Apprentice series of books (Qui-Gon and young Obi-Wan) and the Jedi Quest books (Obi-Wan and young Anakin). And that's a loaded question. Not everyone agrees Watson s--ks blue donkeys. Some people here really love her characterizations. Other people think Watson should be tarred and feathered and run out of GFFA and let some talented fanfic writer do Obi-Wan justice.

On the nay side, the JA and JQ books are essentially written extremely pro-Qui-Gon and uberAnakin. Obi-Wan is written as an insecure, run-of-the-mill Jedi who apparently barely cut the mustard and had to all but offer his 12 year old self to be killed before Qui-Gon would take him as an apprentice, who doesn't have a single original thought in his head, whose master treats him coldly yet whom he loves with a mindless puppy passion and as a master he is ignored by his padawan and apparently woefully underqualified to teach Anakin.

But that's just IMHO. You should read a few and make up your own mind.

16. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Qonas, um...what she said. :)

::I will not rant::I will not rant::I will not rant::

As you can see I am not one of Watson's biggest fans. ;)

17. Polaris_Fett

Jun 15, 2002
    Just because I know there's someone in here who could use a smile...

Yeah, sure he's the Chosen One. But he doesn't know enough to stay away from the power couplings. ;)

18. Polaris_Fett

Jun 15, 2002
    Hey there FJ! :) So you're looking for Obi-Wan, huh? What a coincidence, I am too. ;) But I avoid the spoilers. It'll get harder as time goes along, I know. But IMDB lists Ewan as General Obi-Wan Kenobi for Ep III so I guess they haven't demoted him because of his Padawan's antics yet. ;)

Watson...my view of Watson is that she's probably great if you're eight. She IS very anti-Obi-Wan, however, since she has apparently decided that Qui-Gon and Anakin are the "heroes" of her little world and Obi-Wan is simply the guy who shows up in between. :p Fortunately we know better!

19. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
  20. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    OK, I did not like Dark Horse comic's latest Star Wars Republic "The Epic Battle for Kamino". It takes place right after Geonosis and appears to follow the path of other EU.

Anakin is all seeing, all powerful, hides his marriage from Obi-Wan and totally clams up. Obi-Wan can't tell his padawan is married, can't reach him and when he does eventually try, he does it in the middle of a desperate situation when they really have no time to talk.

[shakes head] I'm glad it's EU, but I hope GL doesn't get any ideas...but it's very scary that all the storylines from the EU writers follow the same train of thought...Anakin is all powerful and Obi-Wan is clueless.

21. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
  22. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
  23. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Just found this thread. Kewl! :)

That's too bad about the EU being so poor when it comes to Obi. I haven't read much of that and now I'm thinking I'll just stick to the movieverse.

sg

24. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming republic comics because it looks like they are going to feature Obiwan some more in more dangerous scenes in which if they do a good job in writing his character, he should shine as a hero.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.