main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Eps II & III Discussion and Speculation Thread: Part 5***

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by naw ibo, May 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I do believe that Ewan is 5'10 and a half.
    Gee I can't believe I know the mans height for gosh sakes! ROFLOL What is the world coming to. Anyway, at least he is taller than Ray Park was. Ray Park is like my height! 5'8. Did you see how short he is when he and Ewan stand right next to each other? Look at this pic.

http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/episodeiPics/Characters/Obi-Wan_Kenobi/RS15.jpg

It is a rather comical picture. Two arch enimies stand head to head smiling. NOW, minus the horns, look how short Darth Mauly is. LOL Small,but deadly. LOL At least I guess he is around my height, hmm.
    Anyway, has anyone read "Rogue Planet"?

All I have to say, is OH MY FREAKING GOSH.
    That book was SOOO good. SOOOO good.
    I won't say anything now, but I would love to bring up some points that were mentioned in that book. I don't want to spoil anything for anybody.
    As I read I was thinking "Ohh the posibilities of this for discussion!"
    LOL
    Especially the Epilogue. Oh my!
    Okay I'll shut up now before I spoil something for somebody.

2. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Jedi Knight-Obi-Wan, some here have read Rogue Planet. In fact if you go look at the last page or two of the previous Obi-Wan Discussion thread(link in the first post of this thread) you'll see we discussed it a bit. So if you want to bring anything up, go ahead, just try to put in a spoiler warning. We didn't do that at first and I don't think we went into enough detail to spoil the book for anyone but we probably should have had some spoiler warnings in our posts. In fact, Star Tours was reading it. I don't think we ever got his opinion .

And that Greg Bear really did leave ya wanting more with that Coda, didn't he? LOL!

3. Dorian

Dorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 1999
    Yes, I'm in the Oklahoma City suburbs, Jedi Knight-Obi-Wan, one of those charming little hamlets that got flattened by that F-5 a year ago May 3. At least I ended up with walls, so I can't complain.

Leaves? Someone mentioned a B&W leaves shot? This thread needs some serious redecorating.
    http://ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/details4.jpg
    And a fetching shot from my favorite Ewan flick.
    http://homestead.deja.com/user.sithina/files/brassedoff_04.jpg

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 05-21-2000).]

4. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    OT
    http://www.empireonline.co.uk/features/nora/review.shtm http://www.empireonline.co.uk/features/nora/review.shtm

A link to a nice review of "Nora" in honor of its UK release last Friday. It's by Angie Errico in Empire Magazine Online. I won't bother with a link to Nick Curtis' review from "This is London." He (like DeClan Burke of the UK Times) gripes about the film focusing on the "ordinary" Nora rather than the "extraordinary" Joyce and berates Ewan's acting a great deal because it's not the wild, frenetic Ewan of "Trainspotting" and "Shallow Grave," amongst many other things. Angie Errico says exactly the opposite. Critics. Go figure.

I've noticed that female reviewers like this film a lot more than male reviewers. Interesting. If any of other thread sibs here live in the UK, you should check it out.
    I wish I did.
    A lovely little picture to continue the redecoration.
    http://ewanspotting.com/film/pix/nora.jpg

5. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    A little more redecorating. Talk about making a brooding frown seem attractive. The
    quintessential brooding shot.
    http://homestead.deja.com/user.sithina/files/brassedoff_06.jpg

6. tenuity

tenuity Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 1998
    McGregor, Kidman Perform at 'Moulin
    Rouge'

By STEVE HOCHMAN

Three Academy Awards shows ago, there was a left-field music
    performer, Elliott Smith, doing his nominated song from "Good Will
    Hunting." This year, it was Aimee Mann with her music from
    "Magnolia."
    Next year, could it be a duet of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Mrs. Tom
    Cruise?
    Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman could indeed end up with a
    nominated musical performance. They'll be heard singing all the way
    through "Moulin Rouge," a film being shot by Baz Luhrmann. The
    Australian director has already shown a knack for weaving music
    into intriguing stories with the rock-driven "Romeo & Juliet" and the
    dance romance "Strictly Ballroom." But this one goes a few strides
    further.
    Set on the last day of 1899, "Moulin Rouge" (scheduled for a
    Christmas release by Fox) is a full-on musical fantasy in which
    McGregor becomes a conduit for the music that will happen in the
    coming 100 years--from Rodgers & Hammerstein to T. Rex. And
    much of it is sung by him and co-star Kidman.
    There also will be at least one new song--and hence the Oscar
    eligibility--written by David Baerwald and sung by the pair. It's all
    being overseen by music supervisor Anton Monstead, a longtime
    Luhrmann associate, and music producer Marius deVries, who
    produced some of the "Romeo" music and whose credits include
    Madonna, Bjork, Massive Attack and Annie Lennox.
    "Ewan McGregor sounds like a cross between Freddie Mercury
    and Elton John, and Nicole has the sexiest Marilyn Monroe singing
    voice, but with more power," says Karyn Rachtman, executive
    producer of the soundtrack album, which will be released by
    Interscope Records.
    "Moulin Rouge" also will include several guest vocals and
    appearances. Among the more intriguing possibilities is an expected
    cameo by Ozzy Osbourne as an absinthe-induced hallucination
    singing "The Sound of Music."
    "Moulin Rouge" follows Luhrmann's fluke pop chart success with
    "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)." The 1999 novelty hit
    featured the spoken delivery of a spoof commencement address and
    was included on the "Something for Everyone" album collecting music
    from Luhrmann's films.

7. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    Cool.

That gives me chills, the thought of Ewan and Nicole singing together at the Academy awards.

I hope he won't get all mulish and stubborn and refuse to do it because of his disdain for Hollywood, though. Surely he wouldn't do that, would he?

A cross between Freddie Mercury and Elton John?!! I don't quite know what to make of that.

8. Jedi Shali

Jedi Shali Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    Hmm...I can't wait till Moulin Rouge hits theatres, it sounds intresting.

This is another question that I'll ask here since I don't want to ask it in the Misallaneous (sp.?) forum, and it applies to Obi-Wan, so why not!?!

Q:How much about their families are Padawan's told? I mean they're taken to the temple long before they have any memories of their families, so are they told anything about their past? Will it make them too curious about their parents? If Uncle Owen is supposed to be Obi-Wan's brother and we see the birth of the twins in Ep.3, are we going to see him discover his brother or will he just be like "I have a brother, I will take the baby to him". I vote for the second.

Dorian, thank-you so much for the B&W leaves shot!

hmm now for some redecortaing... all B%W, of course!

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hannahh/e7.jpg

this one, along with the leaves are my faves...
    http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hannahh/elle02.jpg

I had a good brooding pic posted in the previous thread but I can't remember the url to post it or edit my old post to find it out! aah well!

9. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Dorian your kidding? The part that was flattened! Where you there when it happened?
    That storm was pretty scary. It spit out more than one tornadoe at a time. I can't remember how many. Went up to OKC about two weeks ago. On the highway you can still see the tornadoe's path. Scary stuff, that.

Anyone have the book "Star Wars. The Making of Episode 1. The Phantom Menace."
    Pretty neat stuff.
    Okay, now, I want to discuss some Rogue Planet stuff.
    So, Spoil Warning.
    I thought it was soo sad the way Obi-Wan hoped that voice he heard was Qui-Gon. And the way he didn't care if it was sentimental that he kept his Masters lightsaber because it made him feel more in tune with the force. That was so sad. He still missed his Master. Darn you George!!! Why couldn't you have shown Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's relationship more in depth! I heard somewhere, I can't remember where, That Liam had to push George about that end scene. You know where he wipes the tears off Obi-Wan's face. I thought that was sweet, and I'm glad Liam pushed George to put it in there. If what I heard about that WAS true.
    Grrrrrr.
    I also thought it very interesting that Obi-Wan knew Qui-Gon couldn't appear in Spirit form. I have only read the book once but I plan on reading it again. There is so much to pick up. I didn't even know Obi-Wan was mind tricking people until Anakin said something. I had to go back and reread it and then I was like "Ohh yeah"
    One part, when Anakin was racing and he was thinking about the reasons he liked it, because it made him feel in control. That he always wanted to be in control.
    I thought that was a creepy forshadowing. And the Coda!!!! Why did that lady leave the Jedi Order???? Anybody have any speculations?
    End Spoil Warning.

I'll stop prattling now.

10. Jedi Knight Seyrah

Jedi Knight Seyrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 1, 1999
    Hi all!

Nora and Moulin Rouge are both not coming out for TOO, TOO long. I need my Ewan fix, and I need it baaaad . . .

Jedi-Knight Obi-wan, I do indeed date a Scot, whom, amazingly and surrealistically, I met right here on the JC. A while ago I went to Scotland and it was the best time of my life. I recommend it highly as a travel destination -- it has some of the most gorgeous scenery and stunning castles . . . and who can resist the skirted men?

Dorian, nice pics . . . of, well, my second favorite Scot . . .

Here's a question for y'all, while I'm here . . . what do you guys think Obi-wan's role will be as General in the Clone Wars? A "Maximus"/"Braveheart"-style general, out leading a force of Jedi Knights into battle? A Lando-style general, leading the cavalry, piloting a ship (we DID see he had some piloting skills in TPM!)? Or a planning, behind-the-scenes type of general, like some of the Rebels in the OT?

I just wanna see some lightsabers crossin'! Heck, throw him in an arena on Malastare and make him fight tigers if ya have to . . .

11. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    JediKnight-Obi-Wan::sniff:: .

SPOILER Rogue Planet
    I thought Greg Bear did a really good job picking up things to foreshadow. That part you mention, when Anakin was racing and thinking he liked to be in control, I was just like "Please George, please, tell me this is the way you are going to go!" . I mean, I've always disliked the idea of Anakin being fated to go the dark side, like he has no personal choice in the matter, but Bear linked his need for control and those possible dark side tendencies to his past as a slave, which I think is certainly an okay way to go.

And I loved the Obi-Wan mind tricking part. Anakin didn't even know he was doing it until after the fact. Anakin: "Well at least they didn't check us for weapons", Obi-Wan: "Oh but they think they have". LOL! Personally I think Obi-Wan is going to be more talented in that area than Qui-Gon was . I thought Bear should have had more stuff like that. Not mind tricks in particular, but just showing Obi-Wan is really quite a talented and able Jedi, not just The Chosen One's "keeper".

I really wish I could figure out why Thracia left the Jedi Order a couple of months after counseling Anakin. Did she do it because she somehow got some insight into what was to come or was it because of the information she got from him about what had happened to Vergere? It would be pretty lousy if she did it because she kind of knew what was going to happen in the future and didn't think to warn the Jedi about it or at least Obi-Wan for goodness sake. He's the boy's master, maybe he could take measures in his training to "nip it in the bud."

"The Force is not a nursemaid".
    SPOILER END Rogue Planet

And prattle away, dear girl, prattle away.

JK Seyrah, does your Scot have any good-looking brothers, cousins or friends between the ages of, say, 25 and 34? Uh...the Obi-Wan discussion thread as dating service for single women with a weakness for Celtic men!

But onto more serious(and On-Topic) matters. What kind of a leader will he be? Hmmm...I think he would be the kind of leader who would be hands-on(minds out of the gutter girls ). Maybe Vader gets his hands-on traits from Obi-Wan. You know the way Vader went down to all the planets, except Tattoine, went out piloting his own tie fighter, etc. I mean, you never know! It probably kills Obi-Wan at first being stuck on Tatooine unable to do actively anything, even if it is ultimately for the best.

But I want to see lightsabers crossed too, Seyrah. Specifically Obi-Wan's with some really nasty, really good fighter and I want him to just blow us away . I want to see what McCallum promised, that we'll see that Obi-Wan is a truly awesome Jedi.

But I can't help but think that, if GL sticks to the basic Radio Drama scenario of having Obi-Wan save Alderaan, he's got to have some really excellent strategic planning skills on a pretty large scale. I mean he becomes a general. I would think in the days of the Old Republic that meant more than during the Rebellion where every Han, D_ick, or Lando could become a general .

[This message has been edited by naw ibo (edited 05-22-2000).]

12. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    Oh yes, Jedi Knight-Obi-Wan, I am a resident of Moore, Oklahoma, which lost 546 homes and 80 businesses in the May 3, 1999 tornadoes and yes, I was present for all the fun that day. I live on the east side of I-35 not far from the interstate. Regency Park, directly across the interstate from us was completely flattened. The F-5 took about 16 homes on the northern edge of my own neighborhood, 7 to 8 blocks north of me. It scooped the second story off an apartment complex and a Best Western on the service road along the Highway. Oklahoma and southern Kansas had 74 tornadoes total that day. Amazingly only 42 people lost their lives. I can't complain too much--all I had to endure was 5 minutes of terror when I could hear the thing coming, 4 days without power and the national guard giving us a curfew because they were so terrified of the potential for looting (only 1 case reported--good for the great people of Oklahoma! )

We were so honored here in Moore and Midwest City; we got the big monster F-5 itself--no baby F-1s or F-2s for us. It remains the fiercest twister in recorded history--318 miles per hour at its fastest. Some meteorologists dispute that, they say it got no faster than a cool 300 miles per hour. Go figure. If you ladies and gentlemen can avoid ever experiencing an F-5, I highly recommend staying out of its way. I swear, the thought of that idiot movie "Twister" with Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton just skipping along ahead of that F-5....absurd and abysmally stupid doesn't begin to describe it. That thing was a monster--people weren't out skipping around in front of it.

But on to more pleasant things, how about an Obi-Wan piccie? One of my personal faves, gotta love that sunlight.
    http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/episodeiPics/Characters/Obi-Wan_Kenobi/ObiWan640-4.jpg

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 05-22-2000).]

13. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Jedi Shali, I'm not sure. That's another thing that we have sort of competing sources on. According to the Jedi Apprentice novels, Obi-Wan went home once when he was around 7 and stayed with his parents and his brother, but even then he knew his real home was with the Jedi. However, in the TPM novelization it says that Obi-Wan had no memory of his birth family at all and it doesn't seem that this is unusual for Jedi. Personally, I've always thought the Owen as Obi-Wan's brother thing was kind of dumb. It makes it unnecessarily difficult to explain now as we know that children who are Force-strong are generally taken before they can remember their families. I'd rather they change it and make it that Owen is Amidala's brother or that Beru is a sister or former handmaiden or something like that.

Dorian, question regarding Nora reviews--could you send me(via email) links to some of the reviews you've seen? I've seen the Empire, This is London, Irish Times and that other review with the three Joyceans. It sounds like you've seen others.

14. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    I'll have to look through my bookmarks at home, Naw. I'm at work right now, but I'll be happy to send them to you via e-mail tomorrow night. While some of the reviews have been good and some have been so-so, none of them have been outright bad, like the EOTB reviews were. Considering how caustic and outrageous the UK reviewers can be (I believe it was Nick Curtis who called Jude Law's "Love, Honour, and Obey "excrement" in the text of his review--no, I am not kidding), the reviews so far have been a major accomplishment.

15. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Dorian yes I remember that day well. I had just ridden my horse real hard,(she was being a PEST) and I saw the backside of that storm. Went inside and our weather man, Andy Wallace was about to wet himself he was so excited. They kept showing video of it and all. I swear I have never seen a guy get so hyper. Anyway I thought the wind was 319 miles an hour. I DO know that it was the fastest winds ever recorded on the face of the earth. It was a miricle that more people didn't die. But that was because of the weather men warning people and God's good grace.So you actually went through it huh? I'm so sorry! So what does an actual F5 sound like? I thank God we have never had one down here. Yet.
    I know right where Moore is. LOL Don't live that far away and pleased to meet a JC'r so close
    I love that piccie of him in the sunlight. But its sad. He wasn't smiling cause he just lost his Master. :sniff:

naw ibo Personally I think Obi-Wan is going to be more skilled in ALL areas than Qui-Gon was. LOL Or maybe I'm just biased. LOL Really I think he is the best Jedi in the whole of Star Wars. Qui-Gon already said he was wiser.
    Is anybody else mad at the fact that George didn't show their relationship more in depth or is it JUST me?
    The next movie will be MUCH more interesting. In the book "The Making of Ep#1" George was saying that TPM was just basically setting the stage. And the the plot really thickens in Ep#2. Let me see if I can find that quote. Kay here it is <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    "Whenever you do a trilogy, no matter how you do it, the first part is always about the characters. It is like the first act of a play. It says, here are the players.--It is not until the second act--or, in this case, the second episode--that the plot really thickens.--George Lucas.

So I think the next movie will show A LOT more about Obi-Wan. Espcially with that promising quote from George himself about the next movie being about Obi.
    Also in that book, I don't think people realize how big a deal it was that Anakin was so young, I think that has a BIG part to do with him turning and not something Obi-Wan does. Or what Obi-Wan does or does not do that has something to do with his mother. Here is another quote from that book.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> And there is a key story point that revolves around the fact that he was separated from his mother at an early age, and how that has affected him.--George Lucas
    That quote was taken from a section where George was saying why he had to make Anakin 9 instead of 12. Why would he go to all that trouble unless it was absolutely neccessary.
    Hmm speculation,speculation........

[This message has been edited by JediKnight-Obi-Wan (edited 05-22-2000).]

16. Dorian

Aug 17, 1999
    Oh criminy yes, GL needed to showcase the depth of the OB1/QGJ relationship much more than he did. You are not the only person who's made that observation, Jedi Knight-Obi-Wan. I even know guys who've said that. TPM cried out for it. Most movie and TV audiences, whether they realize it or not, seem to really go for the male bonding/friendship/father/son/brother/brother sappy bonding BS stuff. Even men like it, though they loathe to admit. I mean, don't you love it? Come on--those "awwww...gee" moments? Aren't they great? Classic example: "Frequency," in current release, a fabulous movie that I recommend much more highly than the overrated Gladiator. (sorry folks, I liked Russel Crowe's performance but the herky jerky photography in some of the battle scenes drove me bonkers. Joaquin Phoenix is also overrated.)

"Frequency" boasts some rather silly timetravel plotlines, but what makes the movie work with critics and audiences is the relationship depicted between Dennis Quaid and Jim Cavaziel. They are only talking on a ham radio and cannot see one another, but the love depicted between father and son duo is very, very real, and audiences ate it up--ignoring the discrepancies.

Had George given us 2 or 3 really good, wonderful moments between Qui and Obi (or even some comedic relief) instead of shoving Jar Jar down our throats to appeal to the kiddies, TPM could have been enriched so much through the subsequent character development and sentimentality. Such development would have allowed us to better understand exactly what it was about Qui-Gon Jinn that would inspire such love and loyalty in Obi-Wan. Bravo Liam for insisting on touching Ewan's face in the death scene. That touch took the scene to any entirely new level. It wouldn't have been the same without it.

Women are able to extrapolate why Obi-Wan loved him so much; that's why so many of us drool queens liked TPM's potential, much more so than the average ordinary guy. Shucks, even the slash lit that has sprung up around TPM's Qui and Obi is a direct result of certain people wanting to see more depth to the Qui/Obi relationship, be it an emotional depth or sexual depth.

The slash around this particualar fandom is especially prolific, (I've read mention of it on other web sites about fan fiction of all kinds) and that's not meant as titillation or a slam on the characters--just that these two particular characters have such potential that all concerned see the tremendous potential in the characters that George wasted. It's a shame.

As for what an F-5 sounds like, imagine standing out on the open plains in dead silence, then 1000 horses start thundering towards you--that's what it sounded like, and I was eight blocks away. I can't imagine what it would sound like closer than that, and I don't want to. I watched the darn thing on television when it formed and tore through Chickasha. I kept thinking it would lift like 99% of tornadoes do after a few minutes, but it was too big. My car would barely move without overheating and hubby was at work, so I was SOL if that monster had veered even slightly off its course. I had benefit of a battery powered clock after we lost power, and the weathermen were dead on--it tore through Moore at 7:45. You must live down Altus way if you saw the backside of that storm. Be thankful that's all you saw, dear. It wasn't much fun having a ringside seat. Yechhh.

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 05-22-2000).]

17. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Personally I think Obi-Wan is going to be more skilled in ALL areas than Qui-Gon was.

Oh, you don't even want to get me started on that subject. Well at least not now, maybe later in the day I'll go into it more. Maybe you noticed my post from a couple of days ago regarding the perceptions of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan . I do agree it would have been nice had GL focused more on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's relatioship. But it is a real testament to the skill of the actors involved(and that GL hired them) that so much came through. Just about that whole relationship is built on Liam's gestures and Ewan's expressions. I figure GL should make it obvious through the action, seeing as it is a SW film, so there isn't going to be much in the way mushy, gushy bonding moments. He could have done a more of that in TPM with regards to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

I'm so glad you said Obi-Wan is thinking about his dead master in that still from the ending celebration. So many people are convinced it's somehow forshadowing a love triangle? I don't get it. The first thing that struck me was how almost everyone else was happy and smiling and celebrating, except Obi-Wan, who looks like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders. His much respected and loved master is dead. He was just nearly killed himself and killed the first Sith anyone has seen in 1000 years. He's got the responsibilities of new padawan and a padawan from very unusual circumstances at that. He's gone against Yoda's wishes. For all we know, he still has that "bad feeling" he had in the beginning of the film.

It is a shame there is so little understanding of the significance of Anakin's age. It's a major part of the plot that he is taken from his mother when he is(and that can't be blamed on Obi-Wan at least ). It wouldn't have worked if he was 13 years old or something like that.

18. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Nope, not Altus. Um lets see I live somewheres southeast of Altus. Heard Of Lawton? Live in the town East of there. Well East and a wee bit South. (Now I'm starting to use *wee* in my sentences. redface.gif Over in fanfic we have two Scots in the Writters Lounge. One uses wee a lot.)

LOL I understand what your saying about um those slash fanfics. But fankly I find it revolting. No offense to anyone else who does.
    But Qui-Gon is so much older than Obi-Wan, he is more like a Father figure. I have to admit, I am a fanfic writter redface.gif though I NEVER thought I would be. When I write fanfic I write mushy Father/Son scenes with those two.
    Can't seem to help it. LOL I definitely think they should have shown more between those two in TPM. Sad they didn't. *sigh* Even Greg Bear wrote more sentimental then George put in TPM. If thats possible!

I mean come on Georgy boy. You did it with Luke and Han. Couldn't you have done it with Quigee and Obi!
    ~~~~~
    Now I have to edit this after seeing Naw ibo's post. Yes I didn't think Obi-Wan was thinking of girls at the end scene. Heavens NO. In fact....the first time I saw the end, the only romance I saw was between Ami and Ani. You know when she flashes Anakin that smile. I said to my sister. Those two will be sweethearts in the next movie. She thought it was revolting because he was so young. I just shrugged and said it would happen. She didn't believe me.
    But Obi-Wan just looked sad,heartbroken. Like he just lost his best friend. And he did. He did.

Yes I think both Ewan and Liam did great jobs. Specially Ewan. In that book I mentioned about the making of Ep#1. McCullum(sp) said that Ewan had NEVER worked with a bluescreen. In fact, didn't even know what a blue screen was. Imagine that, and then he went and did such a good job.

Oh by the way, the ONLY place I see where there MIGHT-and I heavily emphasize the might-be a thing shown where the Queen thinks Obi is cute, is when they are talking about capturing the vicroy. Obi-Wan says that if the vicroy escapes he'll come back, and Padme cocks her eyebrow and gives him this look which I'm not sure about, and says "That is why we must not fail to capture the vicroy." The look she gives him is interesting. But I honestly don't think there will be a love trianle. Hmm.

[This message has been edited by JediKnight-Obi-Wan (edited 05-22-2000).]

19. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Shali:
    Q: How much about their families are Padawan's told? I mean they're taken to the temple long before they have any memories of their families, so are they told anything about their past? Will it make them too curious about their parents? If Uncle Owen is supposed to be Obi-Wan's brother and we see the birth of the twins in Ep.3, are we going to see him discover his brother or will he just be like "I have a brother, I will take the baby to him". I vote for the second.

You should read the Jedi Apprentice series. Yeah, they're written for 12-year-old's, but SW fans of ALL ages love them! They chronicle the early adventures of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon right after Qui-Gon takes Obi-Wan as his apprentice. The stories are great and provide the kind of characterization we missed in TPM (movie and book). In this series, we get a REAL FEEL for the bond between Obi-Wand and Qui-Gon. It's so much better than anything in TPM.

Information about padawans' families is scattered throughout these books. Obi-Wan has faint memories about his mother and brother Owen, but that's about it. Qui-Gon's failed apprentice Xanatos returns to his homeworld and knew his father before he died. Seems padawans protected from such information until they're older. Knowing too much about where you come from can be a dangerous thing (as we see with Xanatos).

I have no idea how Owen will be introduced. Since, according to the Jedi Aaprentice boks, Obi-Wan knows about Owen... it should be a matter of tracking him down to help with the twins. We'll see, huh?!

cool.gif

20. Jedi Knight Seyrah

Jedi Knight Seyrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 1, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>JK Seyrah, does your Scot have any good-looking brothers, cousins or friends between the ages of, say, 25 and 34?

LOL . . . Sure! But . . . you reeeeally don't want to go there unless you are positively sure . . . trust me, these long-distance things are no cakewalk! And oh, before you ask . . . none of them are in the habit of wearing kilts

As far as comparing the kind of Jedi that Obi-wan becomes as opposed to Qui-Gon . . . I don't think that's fair. I hate to always have to stick up for the Qui-Goners, but I have to here. For one thing, we saw Qui-Gon in his sixties . . . by the time Obi-wan was that old, he complained of being "too old for this"! It would have been interesting to have seen what kind of jedi Qui-Gon was in his youth . . . I wonder that the council ut up with him!

I too hope Obi-wan will be very hands-on; I think in a way it'll be a story of him going around and fighting sith and solving problems while Ani is fighting his demons and courting the queen . . . maybe Obi-wan's preoccupation with such will have a bad effect on the padawan? Or leave a gap that is too easily filled by Palpatine?

The speculation continues!

21. Noah's Dove

Noah's Dove Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2000
    Hello Everyone! Page 2 is looking great.

Seyrah: I've also wondered about what kind of General Obi-Wan will be. I'm finding it hard to imagine, actually. I see Jedi more the way we saw them in TPM, not leading armies. This will be an interesting thing to watch out for.

Dorian: I really wish the relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon was shown more, too. It was frustrating seeing Liam and Ewan unable to fully explore their characters as we know they can, even though I loved what little we did see.If it was Liam's idea to wipe away the tear, then cheers to Liam! Those tender little moments always made all the Star Wars movies wonderful to me.

I would like to suggest you all visit the Ep 1 forum on http://www.jedi.net,www.jedi.net where a guy has a thread discussing "which moments in TPM really moved you?" He goes into incredible detail through the whole movie, describing the scenes which touched him. I think you would all like that thread. Many Obi-Wan moments.

Dorian 2: I worry about anyone living in your part of the world. My greatest natural threat is to be nipped by a shark, or sunburnt. We did, however, have a monster hail storm here last year, in April, when 1/4 of Sydney lost their roofs. Many still aren't fixed. This happened in the area around Randwick, right in the middle of Star Wars Ep 2 Studio land. My friends arrived from Minnesota the next day, and thought bombs had gone off. Many of the beautiful old areas of Sydney were wrecked and full of leaves and branches. It took a month to clean up.

Naw Ibo: Regarding "the look" - that pic is one of my favourites. However, even when I first saw the movie, I thought it signified something else. I didn't think it was the "love triangle" signal, or grief for Qui-Gon. I thought Obi-Wan caught the glimpse between Anakin and Amidala, and thought, "What's this..?". My spin on this is that Obi-Wan worried about Anakin depending on close personal influences other than himself at the early part of his training, because it would give the boy someone to complain and run to if he disagreed with his Master, making it really difficult to maintain discipline in a boy he already suspected would be a handful.

Regarding Rogue Planet - I haven't yet read it, but I just saw the other Rogue - Rogue Trader, and I absolutely loved it. If anyone saw the scene towards the end (in the cafe with the penguin figurine) where Leeson (Ewan) reveals to his Greek friend that he's in trouble, you will know the subtleties of Ewan's acting range. He really looked as though he was having a panic attack - his breathing caught as he spoke, and he got the shakes - he actually physically made his body show the anxiety.I hope he will be given a huge challenge with Obi-Wan's character - he brings a rich and capable talent to the telling.

[This message has been edited by Noah's Dove (edited 05-22-2000).]

22. Old Juan

Old Juan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 1999
    Lets keep in mind that Qui-Gon had been an active Jedi his entire life. At the point in ANH Obi-Wan hadn't seen battle or done any active Jedi stuff in 20 years. So I wouldn't hold that remark against him. In fact he was being honest. Also Qui-Gon is not sixty in TPM. Both GL and LN have spoken in interviews since the novel and movie came out saying that they had changed the characters age around to make it more realistic and compatible with the OT. Qui-Gon is in his late fourties-early fifties.

But I want to comment on something surrrounding Anakin and Qui-Gon and how it might potentially relate to Obi-Wan. In TPM menace novel, it comments on how Qui-Gon offen has trouble distinguishing whether his instincts are born from the force itself or from his own emotions. Even though Qui-Gon says it's the will of the living force, Obi-Wan knows that that's not always the case. I think Anakin will have this same very flaw. He take actions based on his raw emotions and then try justify them by saying it was the will of the force. Obi-Wan will then try to school him on the difference between the two. I think Anakin might then take insult to that because he will feel that Obi-Wan's calling him a liar when Obi's really saying is that he's confused.

On the arrogance note. I think that there's a little arrogance in all the Jedi's. I think that there has to be. They are skilled and they know it. Confidence and Power are to two key ingrediants that breed Arrogance. We can only look at some of the things Qui-Gon says and can see where Obi-Wan gets some of his attitude from. But the Jedi also try to balance that elitism with humbleness and responsibility.

23. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Old Juan, I've heard GL say that about the ages too. I do know for a fact that Qui-Gon wasn't supposed to 60 as played by Liam Neeson because I read an interview with Liam where he talked about how the original idea was for Qui-Gon to be older but it was changed to be closer to his own age when he came on board.

I also agree with your view of the arrogance thing. I mean there is no denying there is certain amount of "attitude" there in Qui-Gon, in Obi-Wan, etc. But I don't think it necessarily is always a bad thing if it is balanced. I think JK Seyrah has also brought up this point about the Jedi and their responsibilities. They really wouldn't be able to do their jobs without it.

I like your idea regarding Qui-Gon, Anakin, Obi-Wan and "the will of the Force". At the least it wouldn't surprise me if some basic part of the problem between Obi-Wan and Anakin is misunderstanding, where Obi-Wan means one thing and Anakin interprets it differently. Also, GL could be making some kind of comment with the whole "will of the Force" thing anyway. How often has "the will of {insert favorite higher power}" been used to justify actions? I don't even necessarily mean just great tragedies, but the small but emotional differences between people's views--things that aren't so much "the will of..." as the personal view of the whoever is involved. It can be a way of shunning responsibility if taken too far.

Noah's Dove, the reason I didn't see the look as having to do with Anakin and Amidala, except in the general "new responsibilities" way, is partly because of the way it was filmed. It goes from Ami to Ani to Ami to R2-D2(!) to Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan then looks up from Anakin, his new charge, and sort of "out", sort of towards the middle of the "stage"--having not exchanged any particularly meaningful looks with any of the other people involved in the exchange of looks except Anakin--so I figured the look had to do with Anakin and his new responsibilities, responsibilities he had taken upon himself due to Qui-Gon's death to honor him. Well that was my interpretation which is of course subjective. That's why I don't view it as some people have hinting towards a love triangle.

I LOVE Ewan's performance in Rogue Trader. I got a copy for myself from Blockbuster's pre-viewed Video sale shelf--only 6.99!! I too hope he gets some room in Ep II with Obi-Wan. He has the ability to do a great job with it. I mean, Alec Guinness did. I wonder when Ewan is due back in Australia. I've heard tell that Nick Gillard and co. want to get training in before filming starts next month.

Anyway, that scene in RT you are talking about is one of my favorites. It was one of my "In awe of Ewan" moments when I first saw it. Just one of those moments where he "makes it real". Another scene that did that for me was when he was talking to his dad at the funeral and his voice breaks. There are better movies in this world, although I quite enjoyed it, but Ewan gives a really top-notch performance. It certainly shows he can carry a film pretty well. You know the real "Bubble"(Danny Agropolis) had a bit part somewhere in the film? I always mean to look for him. I've got three books about Barings collapse, including Leeson's, and they've got pictures of the real people in it.

JK Seyrah, too bad about the kilts . No seriously, I was kidding(at this point anyway--give me another few months--who knows--LOL!!). Although, I have always had a weakness for Celtic men, that part is true --even if just from Celtic extraction.

No need to defend Qui-Gon. I truly like him. I think "his heart was in the right place" so to speak. But I got to get my kicks in once in while .

I really wish I had a better sense of how the General Kenobi will be. I mean, like Noah's Dove I kind of have a hard time envisioning the Jedi as leading armies. I would think they'd be more advisory in terms of how the battles are run, strategising. However, it seems pretty likely that Obi-Wan does in fact have quite an active role individually and we basically know Anakin

24. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Ohh don't get me wrong. I think Qui-Gon is great. But I think Obi-Wan will be a greater Jedi than Qui-Gon.

Rogue Planet spoil warning
    In the book Greg Bear compares Qui-Gon to Anakin and says that the two of them are a lot a like. He makes mention that Obi-Wan was the stable center in the Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Master/Padawan relationship, and that the roles were reversed with him and Anakin beause Anakin was a lot like Qui-Gon.
    In that same section I thought it was sweet how Obi-Wan really missed his Master's unpredictable ways. *sniff*
    End Spoil Warning

Anyway I thought that was interesting.
    Anyway, yes I think Qui-Gon was okay, after all it takes a great Jedi to teach an even greater one right? tongue.gif
    Still he had me miffed over the way he dumped Obi-Wan in front of the counsel. Never entertained the idea that he might actually be wrong about the boy.
    mad.gif Poor Obi-Wan. I just love the way Ewan did his face expressions in that scene.
    Ohhh and I loved at the end after Maul killed Qui-Gon, and his ticked face expressions. Wonderful acting. I mean really that is one of my favorite Obi-Ewan scenes.

25. Noah's Dove

Noah's Dove Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2000
    Naw Ibo: I think the best part about "the look" is that it was at the very end. It really seems to set the stage for the next film.

I agree with you about the RT funeral scene - when I first watched that, I thought - "Did he just do that?" (catch his words as he spoke). I don't think it was at all accidental, so his timing must be incredible to do it at just the right moment.

That theory about Anakin just going with his feelings and putting it down to the force sounds spot-on. I think we'll see that causing trouble in Ep 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.