main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Veloz, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    [face_laugh] oh it's not infamous cause of me [face_whistling] [face_mischief]

I dunno who he is, but sorry to hear that arbed[face_worried] [face_laugh]

As Obi Wan would say: Patience, arbed! :p

2. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I wonder how big Obi-wan's role will be in Clone Wars. I hope its a big role.

3. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Hello everyone :D

Wekll Ice, personally i think that they need to show a lot of Obi Wan, specially since they have said that the cartoons will show the brotherly relationship of Anakin and Obi even more... it better have a lot of Kenobi that's all i will say! o_O [face_laugh]

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Heck yeah! I was glad he got more time in ROTS but never understood why he wasn't even more important throughout the PT :( Or the OT :( (even though he was dead... so :p) I think it's amazing that an ostensibly secondary character (though we don't see him that way) is the most popular character in the overall census fav SW character poll :D

My LWD dvds are shipping from Amazon UK right now, so I'm excited about those. I've read half the book so far and love it...

About Anakin's visits with Palps... they obviously knew, although once he was on his own probably less so. And Obi-Wan was alway suspicious of Palpatine in general. But any bad feelings were probably chalked up to Obi-Wan's general dislike of politicians.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    What are the LWD dvds? I'm not paying attention?

And I certainly hope there will be a lot more of OBW. He is one of the most important characters of the saga, so it's no wonder he's one of the most popular; especialy considering he is one of the best;)

New theme song for Anakin on Mustafar: (Kanye West)

That, that, that don't kill me, will only make me stronger. I need you to hurry up now (Palpsyboy), cause I can't get much stronger...)

I'm on fire (pun intended):p [face_skull] :D

6. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Never in a million years. Anakin will be 100% loyal to the Jedi and Obi-wan that he will have the willpower to resist all of PalpSidious's mindtricks. Therefore, he would never become Darth Vader and the prophecy would be fulfilled much earlier.

Its a possibility considering that Anakin would still meet PalpSidious and have his perception of the Jedi be CGIed by Palps to make them look guilty in Anakin's eyes. Anakin would also have his pesky visions of his mother's death and would find some way to get to Tatooine to save her...only (as we see in the film) he'll arrive too late, she dies, and he massacres the entire Tusken Village. Anakin will hate both Obi-wan and the Jedi for it and PalpSidious will exploit that hatred by creating certain events that would push Anakin further away from the Jedi to the point where he turns traitor and pledge his alliegeance to PalpSidious.

Anakin's love for Padme was just the icing on the cake.

7. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    How can you be so sure? Dooku turned. He was raised practically from birth, as most Jedi. His problem, as Anakin's, was that he desired more. Anakin was extremely powerful, and because of that he wanted even more. In a sense Dooku mirrors Anakin, and I think that Lucas intended to show us that Anakin was almost destined to turn - although I'm not a big fan of destiny as such;)

8. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I don't believe much in destiny myself. I like to think I have at least a decent amount of control over my life. Man, it certainly would be a bummer if I don't. Why even bother trying? It don't matter, things will turn out **** anyway. I just refuse to believe that. Everyone to his/her own, though, it's just not sitting well with me. To me, in life you get forks in the road, choices to make, and depending on the choice, your life can go swell or to pot, or somewhere in between. I like to think I have some say so in how I live, what I do - not that it's all mapped out ahead for me and tough luck. For me that's pessimistic and I prefer to stay on the bright side.

(oooo, that turned into more of a rant that I thought...oh well, my thoughts on the subject of destiny - phooney!)

9. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Helloooo Obi fans :D

[face_laugh] Rossa, it's the Long Way Down dvd's from Ewan's latest motorcycle trip... it's his second one and they're so much fun to watch... and the song: [face_laugh] "i'm on fire"[face_laugh] so evil :p

solojones: u wont be dissapointed! :)

I personally think Anakin turning wasnt his destiny, he just took that path with the choices he made... he could have changed things at any point, but he chose not to. Of course, i cant be 100% sure that he wouldnt have turned if he was raised by the Jedi all his life. He would still have choices to make. Like arbed said, Dooku was raised by the Jedi, and yet he still turned to the darkside in the end. Anakin's destiny as The Chosen One was to destroy the Sith, but there were many paths he could take in order for him to do that, that's the real trick ;)

I do think that in life we're supossed to get somewhere, learn certain things but how we go about that can make things easier or more difficult, taking us in different paths. We always have a choice in the journey we take to get there.[face_peace]

10. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Yes, yes, solojones, you will love LWD. I just got finished watching the first 4 chapters. Two more to go later today. Then I hit the book for all the little details and thoughts. Poor Ewan seemed a bit down the first half of the trip, like he wasn't having much fun. Hopefully things will get better.

This destiny bit may be GL's beliefs and thoughts, but perhaps that's why I look at Anakin differently than most. I don't think he had to do what he did the way he did it. There are many options and ways things could have played out - helping Mace off Sids in his office is high up there, but who knows what other opportunities might have come up. (Anakin even had his saber drawn on Sids earlier in RotS - it could have happened there, who knows?)

11. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Well like i said, i believe his destiny was to bring balance to the Force as the Chosen One, but how we did that was his choice. I dont believe he had to destroy the Jedi or turn to the darkside, he should have dealt with it in ROTS...his last chance to do things right was for sure at Palpatine's office, with Mace. Palpatine wasnt a defenseless and powerless old man, he was a full blown sith lord, who had orchestrated a war that destroyed millions of lives and was controlling the Senate. To me, it was a no brainer what Anakin had to do.[face_whistling]

arbed: liked chapter 2? [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

12. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004

13. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Hello, fellow Obi-Wan Kenobi fans. I like the new place.
    I agree with Velez about Anikin Skywalker.
    ROTS was the time to settle everything.

14. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Hey, you found us!

Oh, Anakin had his chance in RotS, but made the evil choice; and as I have said, took a long detour - a 20 year one that unfortunately caused much suffering for the galaxy.

15. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't. Anakin's desire for control and power wouldn't be there and his affair with Padme would probably have never started. He's not inherently evil, so I think that this hypothetical Anakin who received proper training would likely be able to resist the temptation of the Dark Side. He also would probably have chosen to fulfill his destiny in RotS rather than turn his back on it for 20 years.

Probably. It may have taken longer, but Palpatine could find something to use. Anakin's fear was at it's core just about losing control and so Palpatine could play on that either by setting up someone else's death(Obi-Wan's?) or another method.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I definitely don't think Anakin was destined in the sense that he had no other choice than to do what he did. I do think he was "destined" in the sense that, if you knew the future, you could know that Anakin was going to make the wrong choices and destine himself to that fate. I think his existence is obviously prophesied, but beyond that, it seems like it's choice. He's chosen and he has choice.

Of course, circumstances make some choices harder. Anakin not becoming a Jedi until he was 9 created a huge culture shock. I think Obi-Wan did his best, but also that was a bad circumstance since he was so young himself.

...having read the first half of LWD, it does sound like the beginning of the trip was particularly rough on everyone :(

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    That's a heck of a detour for sure, specially if u consider he cut his master in half, chopped off his son's hand and tortured his daughter:oops: [face_laugh]

It must have been tough on the Council having foud Anakin when he was older than the normal age kids would join the Temple, because they had two probabilities: do we leave him to his fate and pray the probable Sith out there doesnt find him and use him for his own purposes, or do we take him in and train him as best we can? ... the kicker was the sith ended up using him anyways o_O

solojones: it gets better ;)

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    And, ironically, bringing Anakin to the Jedi Temple actually brings him into close contact with the Sith. But I think Palpatine obviously would have found him either way.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    The Dark Side began calling Anikin before he started his Jedi training under Obi-Wan Kennobi.
    Remember in TPM when the Jedi Council was testing young Anikin, and Yoda sensed so much fear in him?
    Anikin's mother was his first attachment. He never learned to let go of attachments, and not to make them in the first place.
    I believe Anikin slowly began falling to the Dark Side from the time that he left his mother and joined the Jedi order.
    If he had been born in the Republic, he would have been better off, because his Force potential would have been discovered early, and perhaps a more experienced Jedi wouldhave trained Anikin.

20. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Indeed solojones, that's what i think too.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think Anakin's fear was natural for a normal boy, especially in his conditions, but still hard to reverse. Had be been raised in the Temple, he would have been taught to control those fears (and wouldn't have had to deal with a number of them at all)

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    I agree with you.

:)

23. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Bingo. Dead on. He came to the Jedi with a lot of baggage already, as Mace and Yoda realized. Anakin's personality was already shaped in his toddler years, as many psychologists today agree with. Those years are indeed called the "formulative years" for a reason. He was way past those years when brought to the Jedi. And all of a sudden he's expected to change and conform to a whole new set of fundamental ideas and beliefs that he never even heard of before. And unfortunately, Palpy noticed him right from the get-go. When he said he would watch his career with great interest, he sure meant it. The whole thing seemed doomed from the beginning - trying to train Anakin as a Jedi. IMO

24. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Hey, the ubiquitous Strilo edits here as well:p

The thing about destiny is that those who believe in it can make you wonder any way you choose. "If this is my destiny, to turn right, then I will turn left - but how can I be certain that it was not my destiny to want to turn right, but by some mysterious force felt it better to turn left." I'm not a believer of it, but I can see how some argue that no matter what you do, you are destined to do it - you just cannot prove either way really...

What is it Al Pacino says in the Devil's Advocate? Is it "Vanity is my favourite sin"? I think "the devil" would find his way with Anakin one way or the other once he had set his eyes on him...

25. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    In the immortal words of former wrestler "The Rock", "We make our own destiny".

Only we can decide our own destiny and Dooku certainly made his decision. He was a very old man and the only full-bred Jedi by the time he became a Sith Lord whereas Anakin was still a snot-nosed rookie whose mind has been tangled up by PalpSidious upon his fall. Besides, Luke Skywalker was in more danger of turning than Dooku was and yet, he never gave in and neither would his father had he never been around PalpSidious's influence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.