main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Veloz, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Hadn't gotten to that point yet when I'd posted. [face_laugh]

2. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Looks like some of us are here.now where's HeadphoneKenobi?

3. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Am I a huge dork for being uber excited for this new TCW arc? I don't think I've been so excited for an episode since The Hunt for Ziro and that met my expectations and then some.

More Obi! Hooray! =D=

4. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Hopefully he'll do something awesome. :p

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You (we) can hope.

But we'll see, since TCW seems to believe in Obi-Wan being rescued by Padme, Ahsoka, Anakin or "McGuffin" after he gets himself into trouble.

Spoiler highlighting below (just run your cursor over the black to reveal), just in case:

What do the rest of you fans think about his pre-transformation look - bald and beardless, short as that shot was? Kind of looks like Ewan: I'd like to see him with hair and without beard as himself for an episode or two when he transforms back.

Also on Obi-Wan: what do you guys think about him (er, the writers) having him do:

1. that ill-conceived rescue in the Slave arc

2. his totally obvious hesitation in shooting a guard (rather than faking a weapon malfunction or something), not to mention his open communication in jail, not even pretending to be lifting weights?

6. AvadaKenobi

Mar 2, 2009
    I thought that the beardless model was very complimentary to Ewan. Very well done. He looks a little younger than I would've imagined, but that's a minor issue.

As far as the slave arc, I skipped it. Wasn't interested in the premise when the comic was out and I was even less interested in it with TCW. Although, to be fair, I watched the first episode in the arc because people said how awesome Obi-Wan destroyed some droids. I wasn't really impressed. Didn't waste my time with the rest of the arc.

The hesitation I didn't mind. I pretty much expected it. Though, it would've been more natural if he'd shot at the guard and missed on purpose. Then, the viewers would've been left with wondering if Obi-Wan intended on shooting him and missed or planned on missing in the first place. I think that would've led to some fun speculation.

The open communication was odd, I do admit. Though, I don't really know of where else he could've made contact. What would've made more sense was for them to initiate a no-contact rule before Obi-Wan became Rako. Obi-Wan seemed to have done that himself in Friends and Enemies, but I think it would've worked better from the start.

7. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    So creative, the writers figured out how to not have Obi-Wan even in an arc all about Obi-Wan [face_thinking]

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Nor even his voice.

9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I know! Leave the voice, at least!

10. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    It's still James Arnold Taylor's voice though, right?

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I believe it is, but digitally altered down a step. He could've done a slightly different accent or something but the same tone, that wouldn't have given him away with the physical differences

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    It's still JAT, and I doubt it is digitally altered.

13. AvadaKenobi

Mar 2, 2009
    Most definitely. It's amazing what he can do with just his voice. Very, very talented man. I follow him on YouTube and he has some great videos. Especially the ones that show just a normal work day for him. How he can change and manipulate his range is nothing short of extraordinary.

I've always thought that while JAT doesn't sound exactly the way Ewan does in the prequels, nor does he sound like Sir Alec Guinness in the OT, the voice is just pure Obi-Wan. If that makes any sense, lol. I believe he's said that he does the voice as a mix of Ewan's and Sir Alec's voices. It works well, I think.

14. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Now that I see these CW episodes more than once, I can definitely hear JAT doing that voice. Man, he is a voice wizard.

15. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Ouch. In his live chat Friday night (http://tvrecaps.ew.com/viewer/episode/?id=EP010873610096) he says 'It's pitched a step down.' His omission of using the pronoun 'I' and just the term 'pitched' led me to believe in the moment, that it was a process rather than something he did, but yes he's a very talented voice actor and I'm sure he meant he pitches it a step down from his normal(?) voice or whatever. My mistake.

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    AW, don't "ouch" here - I was just giving my opinion. It's just as valid as yours.

So, while the muse is still on hiatus <anyone got a tracking device for muses?> I did manage to scratch out a short story on the lastest TCW arc. It's brevity is startling for those who know me :eek: - I used the draft start as a drabble and when it drops out of sight I'll post the short.

And, er, um, if ANYONE wants to play muse (PM is okay), I've got lots of bunnies missing plots. I REALLY want to write a post-Wild Space-trio involving Greti, though sadly I think Obi-Wan would be a minimal presence. The only thing I'm somewhat certain of is that Obi-Wan will ask Bail to sponsor her for medical training, unknown to Greti.

That's my idea - for those who've read the trio - what do you think Obi-Wan would do (or want to do if he doesn't have the chance) post that whole experience? (Yeah, yeah, sleep, and sleep some more number one, I'm sure.)

17. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Sorry I've missed all the discussion! My laptop wasn't working(turns out it was only the AC adapter, I thought it had to do with the power connection in the computer itself, finally got a new adapter--1/3 of the price on Amazon as in the stores--and it's working perfectly fine now after 2 months sharing), so I just didn't have time to get here.

I was rather disappointed in the end of the slave arc.

What I can't believe is that we finally get an Obi-Wan arc and it's not even "Obi-Wan"--it doesn't look or sound like Obi-Wan. (I did think bald and beardless Obi-Wan looked impressively like Ewan though, a bit young but beards tend to make people look older anyway). I mean seriously Filoni?

Still, these first two episodes have been interesting. I actually thought I missed one, because of how the first episode began showing footage of that "council meeting" and Obi-Wan looks like he's about to fall off his chair from exhaustion or something, so I'm like "I must have missed that bit in the last episode somehow, must have been after a hard mission or something", so I went back and watched and no, it's not from anything, it's just an unexplained scene. LOL

I did think the communication out in the open was weird but it apparently really was secret and no one saw, so I can only assume Obi-Wan knew what he was doing.

I didn't really have a problem with him "freezing" during the escape, for one thing he came up with a plausible explanation for it and for another he would have looked like even more of an idiot if he'd "missed" at that close range, a blind person could probably hit the guy from that distance just by following his voice, no way "Rako" could have missed.

What I found more unlikely was them sending Anakin to "collect" Rako after "discovering" where he was after supposedly killing Obi-Wan, I just don't believe they'd have trusted him with that, given how they usually act.

Apparently there are two more episodes, I really hope to heck they don't have A & A riding to the freakin' rescue AGAIN!

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Hi Naw, long time no see.

What I can't believe is that we finally get an Obi-Wan arc and it's not even "Obi-Wan"--it doesn't look or sound like Obi-Wan. (I did think bald and beardless Obi-Wan looked impressively like Ewan though, a bit young but beards tend to make people look older anyway).

I think it's his seriously smooth, pore and wrinkle free skin. I'm serious! [face_laugh] Where's the laugh lines? Worry lines? Sleeping on his face pillow lines?

Still, these first two episodes have been interesting. I actually thought I missed one, because of how the first episode began showing footage of that "council meeting" and Obi-Wan looks like he's about to fall off his chair from exhaustion or something,

I don't think Obi-Wan was too happy with this plot someone (Mace?) on the Council dreamed up OR he has serious reservations about deceiving Anakin. That's my take on it.
    Kind of reminiscent of that scene in ROTS where he asks Anakin to "spy" on the Chancellor: the "Council requested this."

I did think the communication out in the open was weird but it apparently really was secret and no one saw, so I can only assume Obi-Wan knew what he was doing.

Yeah, over on the TCW (TV) board this bugs folks.

I didn't really have a problem with him "freezing" during the escape, for one thing he came up with a plausible explanation for it and for another he would have looked like even more of an idiot if he'd "missed" at that close range, a blind person could probably hit the guy from that distance just by following his voice, no way "Rako" could have missed.

That is the one big bone of contention over on the TCW board. One poster came up with a brilliant way that should have gone, which I'm afraid I don't remember the details of, but it involved a tiny bit of Force shove in part, well concealed, of course. Much, MUCH better than Obi-Wan's freeze, but if he had to play the "gun jammed" card he should have been muttering and slapping the gun or something instead of coming up with an "excuse" when Bane calls him on it.

What I found more unlikely was them sending Anakin to "collect" Rako after "discovering" where he was after supposedly killing Obi-Wan, I just don't believe they'd have trusted him with that, given how they usually act.

Some posters believe the Council filled in Ahsoka as a "fail safe" which for reasons I won't go into (possible spoilers), I highly doubt.

I wonder if Mace was hidden somewhere nearby where he might have intervened. Of course, in the backroom like that, Obi-Wan might have been able to stop Anakin with a revelation of who he was - there were no witnesses around.

19. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I'm actually enjoying this arc, even if we have Obi-Wan and we dont exactly have him due to his transformation :p [face_laugh], but it's awesome to see them giving him cool stuff to do, and this seems to be the ultimate undercover mission. I admit, i laughed at bald and beardless Obi-Wan just because it was so odd to look at; he looked very young indeed! I do wonder how they'll deal with his shaved head and lack of beard after the arc. Will they have it grow gradually or will they give him a super-pull or something that will make it grow faster?

It might be cool if Obi-Wan ends up beardless and not with all of his hair once the Maul arc kicks in, since that way Maul would undoubtedly recognize him better looking like that (Obi was beardless and with the padawan look when they dueled) [face_thinking]. They *better* have him in the Maul arc! :mad:

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Not only IN the arc, but NOT smacked down by Maul and saved (again :rolleyes: ) by Anakin or the super-Ahsoka. If that happens, you'll scream my scream all over the US and my rage will probably accelerate global warming.

Or something.

21. AvadaKenobi

Mar 2, 2009
    Obi-Wan is gonna get one heck of a talking to from Satine after all of this.

"Of all the foolish things you could've done! And to think I cried over you, you selfish jerk!"
    "Satine, it was only in the interest of--"

*SLAP*

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, if that doesn't include some scene like that, I will in my short story on Saga. It's being written on the fly, as it were, aligning with the arcs but we'll see what questions the arc will leave unanswered - and I'll try to answer them.

So original...but until my muse returns from wherever, I have to go with what I have - let the show dictate the plot and I find the words.

23. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Well he should slap her back if she does. ;)(j/k) He's a Jedi, he's gotta do what he's gotta do and it shows exactly why the Jedi have those rules they have, imo.(I've never had any problems with those rules, they are hardly the first religious order who have certain rules of behavior regarding various relationships--if you can't handle 'em, go do something else for a living, imo:)

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    :eek: THAT would be a shocking response for a Jedi - unless he claimed later she was hysterical and he was knocking some sense into her. [face_laugh]

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Alright, further to the various information that you may, or may not, have read, I have created a sticky with the most up-to-date information about the Move, as in, for those not in the know, the time-scales for our migration from one server (IGN) to the next.

Please do read this, and keep an eye out for further updates. I shall be updating the opening post periodically (I'll note when).

Happy Reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.