main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Fanclub v 3.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Veloz, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    That would be funny [face_laugh]

Thanks for the info, Sinrebirth :D. I'm both excited and scared to death about the move [face_worried]. By the way, facebook users can also keep themselves up to date here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jedi-Council-Forums/270621639615773?sk=wall

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    If you have a skewed sense of humor and can stand someone poking fun at Obi-Wan, go
    here - it's so bad it's great. (It's a parody of Wiki.)

If you hate it, hey, my account was hacked. ;)

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Obviously NOT a young Obi-Wan (Ewan)fan, but I must admit it made me chuckle in parts.

Now![face_devil] Down with the author of that slight on our fav Obi-Wan.[face_laugh]

4. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Hey guys! Wow, I haven't been on this board in years! I remember a lot of you (does anyone remember me? LOL)

TPM 3D coming out soon gave me a sudden re-interest in SW again after having been dormant for so long; so I've been catching up on the CW series as well. I haven't watched since season 1! Eeek! Some good storylines, but IA with the general consensus: not enough Obi-Wan! But his current storyline as Rako Hardeen is one of the most intriguing I've seen so far, so I am excited for that resolution.

5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    [:D] Welcome back - I remember you.

It's rather amusing that when they give us Obi-Wan, they give us not his face nor his voice. It's almost like non-Obi-Wan Obi-Wan.

I guess it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

But it's still Obi-Wan, so I'm good. I just hope after this that he doesn't get sidelined again and I most certainly hope with the return of Maul, it's not Obi-Wan who gets shafted this time (deliberate pun). [face_laugh] TCW better be awfully careful on this resurrection thing, because there's 99 out of 100 ways it can go wrong for Obi-Wan's characterization.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The return of Maul really pisses me off, almost as much as the Jedi treatment of Anakin in this current arc (but I'll save that for the Anakin thread).

I don't know if Maul is being brought back to appease the fanboys who didn't want him to die, or as a direct slap in the face to Obi-Wan, whom I'm almost convinced that Filoni doesn't like anyway.

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, it's reasonably certain IMHO that it's fan service & GL driven, not anti-Obi-Wan.
    What I don't understand is why so many folks think "Obi-Wan's story is already told so keep him out of TCW" - there's a lot of Obi-Wan and Anakin stuff to explore in TCW that is not known.

I hope it's meaningful to TPTB that the 1st 2 episodes of this arc were very highly rated in the TV boards.

~~ Anakinfan, I don't feel welcome in the Anakin thread though I do read the thread. It's so easy if I mix good/not so good words to be indirectly accused of bashing that I don't even want to risk it (and I'd be certain to do "some" defense of Obi-Wan despite the negative effect on Anakin in that thread which I don't think would be welcome there).

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to explore your comment on Anakin on this thread... so much of this can certainly lead to Anakin's distrust of the Council (and Obi-Wan?).

I think Obi-Wan fought against the Council's decision myself. That's how I read his resigned look that opens the 1st episode.

What do you say?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would imagine that he probably did fight the Council's decision, as he fought the Council's decision to have Anakin spy on Palpatine. (If only he had won that one.) He knew Anakin better than Mace and Yoda did, and quite frankly, I think Mace and Yoda used Anakin for their own purposes (or the Order's purposes, however one wants to look at it) from the time he came to Coruscant. It seemed pretty well established that neither Mace nor Yoda could stand Anakin; Mace's attitude in the movies is pretty obvious, and in the books, both characters' attitudes are elaborated upon a bit.

OTOH I felt that Obi-Wan loved Anakin for who he was, warts and all. It would make sense that he would fight the Council on this one, knowing what Anakin had been through regarding his mother's death. Going by Karen Miller's books, Obi-Wan knew that Shmi died, he just didn't know the details; going by those same books, Yoda's attitude was, "Mothers die, he needs to get over it."

The sheer cruelty of the decision is appalling--the Council keeping Anakin in the dark so that they could use his highly-emotional reaction to convince the bounty hunter. They weren't even expecting him to behave like a stoic Jedi this time, in fact, they were banking on the fact that he would not. At the very least (and I do mean very least), they could have told Anakin what was really going on, prior to the funeral. Particularly with Ahsoka talking about how worried she was, and the fact that Anakin had not said anything at all.

All that being said, I would imagine that Obi-Wan protested the decision and was overruled just as he was in the ROTS novelization. He tried to point out then that Anakin was loyal to individual people, not the Order as a whole, but Mace and Yoda chose to ignore that. And maybe Anakin shouldn't have been that way--I would agree with that at least to a point--but stating that something "shouldn't be a certain way" doesn't change what it is. Obi-Wan knew how to work with the Anakin that existed, not the Anakin that the Jedi Council wanted. And I think that helped him 20 years later in working with Luke.

I'm not looking forward to the resolution to this arc though (and I haven't watched the entire thing yet). I am afraid that Obi-Wan is going to be taking the brunt of the blame for some of this, even though his response might be similar to his response in ROTS--"I'm on your side, I didn't want to put you in this situation." As far as Anakin's distrust of the Council, I'd say it's at least partially justified after this. It does make me sad that Obi-Wan is probably going to be lumped in with Mace and Yoda though, at least to a point, in Anakin's mind.

9. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree. Maul returning just seems pointless to me.

Anyways I've been enjoying the current TCW arc so far, even if Obi-Wan is spending the entire arc so far in disguise. Still though, its pretty interesting to see him pretend to be a bounty hunter/tough guy for a change, especially after what he had to go through in the Slave Arc.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm not looking forward to the resolution to this arc though (and I haven't watched the entire thing yet). I am afraid that Obi-Wan is going to be taking the brunt of the blame for some of this, even though his response might be similar to his response in ROTS--"I'm on your side, I didn't want to put you in this situation." As far as Anakin's distrust of the Council, I'd say it's at least partially justified after this. It does make me sad that Obi-Wan is probably going to be lumped in with Mace and Yoda though, at least to a point, in Anakin's mind.

If you haven't seen the 3rd episode, you wouldn't know there was a VERY SHORT Anakin and Yoda scene which I believe is very pertinent perhaps to how this plays out.

It was far too short to predict, unfortunately, but Yoda pretty much lays it on the line why they didn't clue Anakin in, and Anakin, to my astonishment, actually seems to be taking it rather well (some on the TV board think he was fuming with steam coming out of his head in contrast).

Quite frankly, I hope beyond hope that there's a scene or so with Anakin/Obi-Wan, and maybe Anakin/Mace in episode 4 - I highly doubt it, though.

I agree 100% that Anakin needed to be clued in ASAP - I honestly don't know if that should have been post-funeral, prior or post-delivering Hardeen to prison. Anakin's going after Hardeen was public enough I *might* be persuaded that they needed that authentic reaction, but by that time, perhaps not.

Some think that the Council did try to reach Anakin and he had turned off his comlink. Personally, I'm not sure what they thought they saw to that effect.

As I'm exploring in my story, there has got to be emotional repercussions for a number of folks after this. It's not like the comics Jabiim arc where Obi-Wan was lost and presumed/declared dead with reason. What they are doing might well be considered so necessary it's worth the cost, but the cost will be extremely high.

(Re: Wild Space. What Yoda said was true, but so - tactless? Duh, yes, we know eventually every one dies except certain Jedi and Sith, but that's hardly comforting.)

(Note: I should clarify my earlier post: the Anakin thread is not a character discussion thread, it's an Anakin appreciation thread. There is a difference.)

11. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Since I haven't seen tcw 4,i have to ask,whose funeral were you guys talking about? By the way,i attended a weekend SW event at a nearby mall.collectible toys,exhibits,and picture taking with Jedi,Troopers,Artoo,and Darth Vader were the highlights.alas,no Obiwan.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    We are talking about Obi-Wan's funeral, but I believe we have to spoiler code for a while after the episode airs.

13. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Yeah, i'm not down with the Ewan diss (:mad:), but i'll let it slide this time :p

Who speaks such stupidity? :oops: :rolleyes:seriously, the things some people can come up with never fails to amaze me [face_laugh]

I also took Obi-Wan's look in the first episode of the arc as him getting outvoted on the issue of telling Anakin and having to just put up with it.

Personally i'm a bit weary of the Maul return but i'm keeping an open mind, and i do hope Obi-Wan is involved with that arc as well. It would be annoying to see Maul get dealt with by Anakin or even Ahsoka. I dunno, i kinda feel Kenobi needs to keep his supremacy over Maul and not have anyone else involved in that fight. Anakin could deal with Savage.

14. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    The people who speak of such stupidity are the ones who don't believe in the Obi-Wan Kenobi religion, hence known as Obiwankenobism. We, however, follow Obiwankenobism to an absolute tee.

Some people believe that TCW should just focus on the more "minor" characters of Star Wars, in short have it focus more on characters other than the Big Three + Plo Kloon.

I, on the other hand, enjoy the show the most when it explores different concepts such as showing good Separatists members/civilians (Heroes on Both Sides) for example. It doesn't matter if the episode focuses on a major character or minor character just as long as the concepts themselves makes the audience think a little instead of being all simplified and black and white.

I agree that there are many other aspects of Obi-Wan's and Anakin's relationship to be explored in the show. I think the whole "Obi-Wan's story's been told enough already" crowd forgets that a lot of stuff couldn't be explored in the PT films because of length and whatnot. I mean in AOTC we saw more of "angry" Anakin and then in ROTS before his downfall he was more levelheaded and mature.

The way Anakin is being portrayed in this series (read: kind and heroic, but, with a tendency to become angry and slip into the Dark Side every now and then) is a great explanation of how he acts and how differently he is in ROTS compared to AOTC. The same applies to Obi-Wan because the TCW is showing us why Obi-Wan considered Anakin to be his "brother." I mean look at episodes like Dooku Captured for example. It may have not have been a masterpiece level episode, but I still enjoyed it because of the friendship and interactions that Obi-Wan and Anakin were having together.

Hopefully, in the future, we will see even more TCW episodes that focus on the friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, and hopefully we will have a greater understanding on why Obi-Wan's line "You were my brother Anakin...I loved you" in ROTS was a significant one.

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    =D= =D= So speaks the High Keeper of Obiwankenobism. I mean, what can I add?

Action is all well and good (and necessary in something called Clone WARS) but there's so much unwritten character development left open to explore. This is the only Anakin I like (I'm speaking film/cartoon not fanfic).

I totally understand the wish to explore the minor characters background and even agree with it. But that should not mean dismissing the "big 3" entirely (which now seems to be Anakin, Ahsoka and Padme/Plo Koon, the last two interchangeable as necessary).

And the hate for the Jedi: dogmatic, uncaring, unfeeling, manipulators of Anakin, lying scum, dishonorable...gah. That's a bit extreme for an Order that attempts to be noble and good and may not always succeed.

I loved Dooku captured just for the banter and character interaction.

But as for Obi-Wan and Maul's new story, I have to admit I'm dreading what this'll do to Obi-Wan's story. He's no longer going to be the first Jedi to kill a SIth in a 1000 years; he's already claimed to be "pawned" by ever other SIth he's encountered and needed help to survive.

It's part of the revisionist story: Anakin would be fine raised by the uber-perfect Qui-Gon Jinn and was ruined by the lying, uncaring, manipulative Obi-Wan and the Order with a slight nod to Sids and his own choices.

^^ (That's the extreme version of the anti-Obi/Jedi backlash and does not apply to fans like Anakinfansince1983 who has a pretty clear-headed view of the complicated issues that led to Anakin's fall. She's an asset to any of our discussions.)

16. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Can anyone pm me whose funeral it is then? I'm hoping that there will be more Obiwan-Anakin moments in TCW.Filoni must be a fan of Ahsoka.that's okey,but the focus should be on Obiwan and Anakin's friendship.Anakin has gone from being a 'pathetic lifeform' to a much beloved brother.

17. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    While watching the midnight showing of TPM 3D, there was a load "WHOOP!" from the audience when Obi-Wan first came on screen.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    A very discerning audience, then. =D=

19. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Hello all, I had to poke in and share what I posted in the Clone Wars "Crisis on Naboo" thread. I'm spoiler highlighting it just in case you guys haven't watched. You should check it out if you haven't and then join us in the discussion thread, we don't have enough folks singing Obi-Wan's praises in there! He finally got another good story arc!

20. I have to say it was great to see Obi-Wan getting to save the day at the end," which was highlighted to the audience by Dooku's speech to him. A nice way to end this Obi-wan-centric arc which showed his crafty skills put to good use, and really I thought the arc did a service in showing him as a powerful and highly skilled Jedi Master.
  22. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Yes I have to admit I really enjoyed it and loved how it ended. It was a good story arc for Obi-Wan and he saved the day too.

23. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I guess this arc was what he meant.

24. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    This is why i hope he's the one that deals with Maul; he needs to be the one who finishes the job.

Personally i never thought Anakin's turn was something as simple as had Qui-Gon trained him he would have been perfect. In fact, i think Qui-Gon's rogue ways might have precipitated and alienated Anakin even faster from the other jedi imo. Although, based on EU we also know Jinn was a hard@ss, so i just dont think it's that simple lol. Blaming Anakin's fall on anyone but Anakin himself is taking away from his turn back to the light too. For me, one of the biggest lessons from the saga is that we are responsible for our actions and the choices we make, and we must deal with the consequences of them.

I liked this arc btw, even if Obi didnt really look like Obi [face_laugh], he rocked. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what's in store for him on the rest of the season, but especially the Maul arc [face_worried]

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    This WAS a good Obi-Wan arc even if we didn't get to "see" or "hear" him. :p

I wish they'd done a bit better job in the final episode - like why Hardeen had just one shot, what the "idea" was behind that and the listening device - I do know what was posted over in "TV" but I don't want to get too spoilery here.

Yes, someone posted that Dooku suspected Hardeen was a Jedi plant, so that explains the listening device. But one shot? Obi-Wan mentioned that, but didn't we see him reload? [face_thinking] Was he actually - as Hardeen - supposed to hit someone? It played as if he had no role to Bane/Dooku and that might have been a change forced on his "discovery" but that wasn't all too clear.

I'm glad he got his quiet moment of self-reflection, brief as it was, with Mace even commenting on it. Just wish there'd been a bit of conversation between him and Anakin - "the good of the Republic, Anakin," vs. "You hurt me," or whatever.

26. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    OK, I'm making the case for Obi-Wan over in the TV thread. Here's my ode to Obi (Ode-bi-Wan?)...

The other important piece here is the comparison of Obi-Wan and Anakin in this story arc. Anakin was duped by Obi-wan and the council and further dejected by losing to Dooku, and he's literally bursting with anger and lashing out. Meanwhile the crafty Obi-wan showed his more intelligent, wily, elusive skills in this arc... skills which Anakin does not have. He is smooth and subtle, while Anakin is abrasive and rash. After successfully navigating the slippery slope of his undercover operation, he figures out Dooku's double-cross and runs to the aide of Anakin. When Dooku praises Kenobi's abilities at the end of the episode, I think he is speaking for the writers "Well done Master Kenobi, you are a worthy adversary! I cannot say the same about your young apprentice!"

27. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.