main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 'official' ,one and only, TTF Episode III debate thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by TallonKaardgamer, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon-Was-Right

Qui-Gon-Was-Right Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    In ROTJ, Leia claims she has memory of her mother, but that she died when Leia was very young. For Leia to have a memory of her mom, Padme must have died at least a few years after the births. So I imagine the births will happen fairly early in Ep 3.

I am curious to see how Mace will die. Any thoughts who might kill Mace? Anakin? Palpatine? Dooku? Boba?

2. Starburstlvr

Starburstlvr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    From what I've read about Episode 3 - the time frame is very short, and Padme is already pregnant at the beginning. Another reason I don't think they'll show Padme's death in Episode III - however I'm sure Lucas will find a corny way for her to die if he does.

3. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Remember Leia wasn't an ordinary baby. There is a connection between the child and the mother early on because they can feel each other through the force. We cannot hold that statement about her remembering her mother to what we know on Earth. Remember also Anakin was a 9 year old building pod-racers from scrap and a protocol droid, these kids are not humans as we know them. The whole idea that she only has feelings from her mother and glimpses so to speak would imply her being a baby but no longer than that.

4. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    The other thing I like to stress is that Leia never conciously had control or a touch with the Force till around the Empire Strikes Back timeframe. Unconciously she probably had a touch to it all the time.

Luke on the other hand, had to have been stronger...especially to pick up so fastly when he was 18 on the Force...and become so strong within 2-3 years timeframe.

I personally, not to be sexist, think it runs stronger in the Men - just like in X-Men, the mutant gene is passed from the father...

5. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    How could she learn it if she was never taught it? Remember Leia never went through training so we don't know how strong she is - being a twin she ismost likely just as powerful as Luke. In the books she really hasn't pursued her training steadily but she fares well for having had a haphazard off and on training.

The fact that she can hear Luke without training says a lot about her as well. And we really don't know anything about Luke's tendencies before Obi-Wan came into his life.

6. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    If they are both as strong in the Force, and both given up about around the same time - then how come Leia would remember her mother and Luke would not?

7. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I think Luke was given up at birth where Leia was kept with Padme for a while maybe until her death. But I don't know.

8. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It's definitely both a nature/nurture issue. Remember there is something in one's blood that makes one have the potential to be a Jedi (Anakin's readings were "off the scale") and then training must be made to hone Jedi skills. Leia was probably never trained fully but was 'force attuned'. Luke finally got training from Yoda, but only when he was ready. Force sensitivity is always innate, I belived.

9. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    I'm going to stick my neck way out. I think Palpatine is Anakin's father. I don't think it was one of those "immaculate conception" events with Shme as episode I told, I think Palpy did the dirty deed. What you guys think?

10. Geniepants

Geniepants Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the immaculate conception idea. Not that I thought it was blasphemy (I'm not very religious) just that it wasn't exactly original. First time I saw that, I was like "Gee, wonder where he got THAT idea?" I was working on a fanfic that, among other things, addressed that issue. (It was a time travel thing loosely based on the Terminator) Maybe it IS Palpy, best idea I've heard so far.

11. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    I don't think Anakin's father or lack thereof will be discussed in Episode III - I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

12. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Oh, I think it will be discussed. I felt uncomfortable after that "virgin birth" with Shme thing - I think Lucas threw us all a line. She was a slave and would have no recourse to protest, and Palpy is so strong with the force, and being a dark jedi master while needing a padawan, he has to control every aspect of the Sith order including right up to the control of the galaxy.

I'm waiting for a whole Greek tragedy issue that rivals the surprise I'm sure we all felt close to the end of Episode II when Vader revealed himself to Luke as his daddy.

We're going to get a surprize for ep3 - and I think this is it.

13. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    The only problem I see with that is that Shme was a slave ina backwater place. Palpatine was from Naboo what would he have been doing there?

As much as I'm not crazy about the no father thing I would have a hard time thinking its Palpatine though it would make an even more interesting story - making it fit would be a challenge with whats been layed down so far.

14. Geniepants

Geniepants Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    It wouldn't be that hard, really. Recall in Episode 1 when the Queen's ship had a damaged hyperdrive, the closest safe place to go was Tatooine. In galactic terms, they're neighbors.

For grins, I just checked the map of the galaxy that came in the Insider a few months ago, and they are indeed fairly close together. Geonosis is also in the neighborhood. So it's not crazy for Palpatine to stop over there for a layover. Of course, WHY he would is another question.

15. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Yah but Mos Espa of all places. Not exactly a place for a politician. Then again he has some backwater type stuff going on.

16. Padawan311

Padawan311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    Wow, thats a very interesting idea, I have never thought of ole Palpy possibly being Anakin's father, or maybe he is just involved in some way. I would like to find out more about Anakin's birth. Maybe Shmi really does think he was self-concieved by the midi-chlorians, but maybe he actually wasn't. Very interesting.

Chris

17. Qui-Gon-Was-Right

Qui-Gon-Was-Right Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    I can just see the scene in Ep 3 now:
    Palpatine: Join me Anakin and together we can rule the galaxy!
    Anakin: I will never join you!
    Palpatine: I am your father!
    Anakin: For real? Ok....

18. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    You oversimplify , QGWR, but you have the right idea, however it'll be more like,

Palpy: everyone has left you, you're all alone in the universe, I've crushed the senate and scattered the jedi, join me or die, who's your daddy?

19. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Well I've gone and done it. I remained relatively spoiler free for ep. 2 (minus trailers) and now I've gone and read what appears to be a pretty big spoiler from Peter Mayhew. I saw it up on the TFN site and thought ohhh its to early for anything to big what could be the harm? So I read it hehe. Clears up one of the questions we were all having about the kids... But I won't say anymore cause I really didn't mean to read this spoiler... And I know many of you guys don't plan to either.

20. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Ut oh! Natalie's succumbed to the light side of the Force!

Personally your friendly neighborhood Tallon is going the same route as Natalie did.

My mantra is :
    Spoiler Free for Episode III. (minus trailers)

21. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Which brings up an interesting point? Who's staying spoiler free, and who's sucking up the info so much they'll pay for Hyperspace?

22. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    But I read a big spoiler ::_|: it was big and it was from Peter Mayhew - I think that tempted me to read it even more.

My feeling from now on NO MORE SPOILERs! hehe I hope....

23. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I am going to try to stay spoiler free.

24. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    looks to me like Admiral Ackbar (a young one) may be in Episode III - a mon calamari has been gracing the last 2 starwars.com newsletters. :D

25. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    That makes sense, because we need to see the rebel leaders from episode 6 tie in and how they become involved in fighting the burgeoning empire. Good stuff! thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.