main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official PARALLELS (Parts I - III) Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Nathan_P_Butler, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    I'm proud to announce the availability of the three stories in the "Star Wars: Parallels" series.

The series is a new form of fan audio production. These stories, part of a special type of ChronoRadio called a "Serial Edition" are essentially original Star Wars fiction, written as prose. They are then presented in what I call "enhanced audiobook format." They are not audio dramas, per se, in that they do not contain sound effects, but they are read as an audiobook would be, but *all speaking parts* have been cast out to voice actors, rather than being read by the narrator as would happen in a regular audiobook.

Each story in the "Parallels" storyline will follow the same series of events, each through the eyes of one of the three main characters.

The object here was to present a story in the fashion of NBC's "Boomtown," but as an audiobook format. The individual dialogue lines are the exact same in all three, and the prose is meant to parallel each other in the same way, with subtle changes to the nuances to change meaning and present another character's point of view.

Perceptions created by Part I are challenged in Part II, with revelations in Part III.

Starring:
    Nathan Butler
    Ian Bowie
    Krista Kolesar
    Mike Lane

You can find the episodes here:

Part 1: http://www.starwarz.com/timeline/chronoradio/parallels1.html
    Part 2: http://www.starwarz.com/timeline/chronoradio/parallels2.html
    Part 3: http://www.starwarz.com/timeline/chronoradio/parallels3.html

2. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Hey Nathan,

I really liked "Parallels." I thought it was interesting to see the event told differently, seeing Keiran seemingly correct in the first part, seemingly incorrect in the second part, and then both partially wrong and right in the third. Very good storytelling.

My question is: was there ever a specific timeframe for this? I don't think a date was ever given. Obviously it takes place before the prequels but was there any specific point when "Parallels" occurs?

3. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Glad you liked it. :)

I'd put the specific timeframe sometime around 4,999 BSW4 or so, just after the events of Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire. That's the Sith fleet that Kiran was "mopping up after."

4. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Sweet. Thanks a lot man!

5. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    For those who liked Parallels: There's a possibility that the next ChronoRadio contest will be where people can submit original fan fiction, with some length limit, and they'll be read and the winner will get an "enhanced audiobook" treatment and become a CR Serial Edition.

Rich came up with a similar idea for something else, and this and that may merge, or this might be it, or, or, or, or . . .

Suffice to say, I like the idea of a creative contest to end up with an audio presentation outside of Anthology. More as this develops.

6. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    And I *finally* updated the Parallels pages with a better description. The others had been written before the story was released, and weren't really relevant anymmore.

7. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Very good job on *P*, Nathan...I enjoyed the dramas quite a bit, and look forward to more (and greater) things from you in the future.

?Eaglet

8. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Thanks. :)

I figure after Anthology gets moving, I may move into doing some more Serial Editions of CR. At this point, I'm thinking the next Serial Edition will be a listener-submitted thing as part of a contest.

9. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.