main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The ***Official*** PFF IMAX Event Planning Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Obey Wann, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I will be posting information here shortly, but there will be officially LFL authorized IMAX events happening around the country, and I'm sure that Phoenix will be part of it.

I'm putting the info together right now, but I'll post it here soon. Get thiose costumes ready, and be ready for something huge. :D

More info to follow soon....

OW

here it is...

OK, everyone, here?s the scoop. LFL and starwars.com would like to do something big for the AOTC release on IMAX. We finally get to do officially what we?ve done all along. We get to have an officially LFL sponsored event, and party!!!

For that to happen, first and foremost, we need to make sure that our local theater will have AOTC playing there. Of course, this means AZ Mills. I?m not sure if this is related with Harkins, or not, but I?m hoping that sideshow can put on his full schmooze face and find out what?s up. Or any/all of you can call the theater and find out what the story is. But we need to make sure that they know that we want AOTC to play here. But Be nice, polite.

OK, here is the scoop from Josh: (with my emphasis added)

1) LFL has no clue which IMAX is getting the movie. We need to start a small
    campaign to get it in everywhere.

2) So if your IMAX doesn't book it, the following efforts may be wasted.

3) Be nice, polite - get your theater to play AOTC IMAX. Many of the"institutional" (non-commercial, like museums, science centers, etc) IMAX theaters are dubious about the actual demand and/or the public acceptance of booking AOTC. I've also heard through the grapevine that other owners are getting "hundreds" of calls and are booking as a result. HOWEVER - frightening the owner isn't going to help, either, though. Use the forums and the FANFORCE page to mobilize.

4) Plan / get / make a web page secifically for IMAX and your FANFORCE. LFL wants a unique page (or site) per regional group. The less "cookie-cutter", the better... have fun. The page should eventually have links to the theater, maybe MapQuest instructions, links to Fandango or other online
    ticket purchase, schedules, list of events, etc. This may also be a great time for these groups to "recruit" new members since LFL will be pointing starwars.com traffic to you.

5) Think logistically: If there's a October 31st event, what should be involved? Simple line up? Costume contest - local or charity sponsor of some kind? Meet at a restaurant / watering hole? Coordination with local media? Some of this will be made easier when there's a general sense of LFL
    authentication, but thought and contacts might be made now.

6) Leadership - LFL wants me to compile a list of at most two contact people per website/FANFORCE group, etc. I need email and phone access. The group should be able to demonstrate some cohesiveness and so LFL can have the confidence that the leadership is willing and able to "pull it off". (?Please email these to me, or PM them to me: --OW )

This event will have coordination with the 501st. I believe that LFL is doing this, but we need to get together with our local 501st leadership and plan this out. With all of the stuff that we have, and all of the great backdrops, costumes and props that we all have, we can do something absolutely killer for this event.

Here are some other things that we will need to do:

- Get organized with the theater and the mall
    - Organize events, including: Lineup, costume contests, advertising the event, and other events?
    - Set up a webpage.
    - display an official "seal of approval" graphic provided by LFL
    - post local details, like theater, showtime and ticket links
    - post details on any local happenings (times, meeting places, plans, etc)
    - post pictures or anything creative fans have done
    - starwars.com will link to these pages directly from our upcoming IMAX section
    - follow a few basic guidelines on tha

2. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    And OW makes himself seen! :eek:

Good to see you again.

I'm looking forard to this. Unfortunatly I won't have a costume in time. I'm shooting for December on the Lobot. That's all dictated by my not so giving wallet.

3. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Just as a thought, we should probably put together some PFF/RL/501st shirts for our non-costumed members. Something to think about...

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm the shy type, so a shirt would be most helpful :).

5. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Bump. I've got new info posted above...

6. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    So what's the azlinup.com page doing? eh????? :p

7. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    Sounds like a blast!! Let me know how I can help.

8. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I'll be there in full sith gear as usual!

**At last we wil reveal ourselves to IMAX... At last we will have revenge!**

LP :p

9. TD0690

TD0690 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 4, 2002
    Obey Wann, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :)

10. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    OW, did you hear something?

:p

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Here's what I need to know right now: Is the AZ Mills going to have AOTC on IMAX?

From there, we need to plan some events, activities and other stuff to do with this. Along those lines, please stop by the T-Shirt thread and put in your input. I'd love to see everyone not in costume wearing a PFF T-Shirt, if possible.

From there, we need Josh or Jodie or someone to get hold of the mall and start the planning process. I don't have Josh's number on me, or I'd give him a call right now.

If you want to help, please check out what I posted above and LMK what you're willing to help out with. We're also going to want to have flyers to hand out at the mall (and other locations) in advance.

Let's be creative on this one and have some fun!!!

12. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I would be willing to post the local details info.

13. Ion_Control

Ion_Control Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2002
    LET'S DO THIS!!! :D :D :D

I'll help out any way I can. :)

14. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    ok, not sure what the mall is going to be cool with, i will have to go down there and talk to them.

we probably wont be able to do anything longer than 24 hours MAX, so dont plan on tents and such like in may...

what is everyone going to do for haloween?
    are we even wanting to stay overnight? or just show up with the sun? i need to know what we want to do so i can take it to the mall staff.

let me know so we can get this started!!! :D

15. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    We're planning this for Halloween? No can do, then. I'll be down on Mill Ave for Halloween.

16. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    Here is the glory of it.

Oct. 31 - Holoween-Have Fun!
    Nov. 1 - IMAX AOTC-Have Fun!

See how it all evens out. Not a problem! :D

17. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    well if we could get a "advance" halloween showing that at like midnight that would be cool..but prob not.. i say we plan for 1st showing in the morning... maybe show up around 6-7 ish... just my idea..

and the feldman WILL be there.. and in either jawa gear or Bespin Luke.. we will see.

18. BKJediKnight

BKJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    That really stinks for me because I have school, and I wont be allowed to miss it for a movie as much as I would like to. If there is a midnight I might but cant do that morning, or that night because it is a football game night and being in band, I have to be here. sniff sniff, I am so sad.

19. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Hack COUGH HACK..

im HACK COUGH sick..

heh...

20. BKJediKnight

BKJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    If I was sick do you think they would let me go anywhere anyways, um no, but the thought had crossed my mind.

21. Diesel_Dave

May 16, 2002
    Houston, we have a problem.

The 31st and the 1st are Thurs. and Fri. :_|

I can't do the 1st showing!

22. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    We should probably be realistic: Unless IMAX changes everything they normally do, they probably won't even have a showing until Friday afternoon or evening. They show educational stuff for school fieldtrips on weekday mornings (remember all those kids in the mornings?) and don't sell tickets for stuff until the afternoons on weekdays. I think maybe a Friday evening showing might be better to aim for. That way, we can spend as much of the day as we can in a line-up there, and won't have to convince IMAX to change their normal schedule.

Just thinkin'. Don't mind me. :)

23. Darth_Moridin

Darth_Moridin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2002
    That would DEFINITELY work best for me. I can't take time off work for a movie (yes, even this movie).

24. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I think we should plan for Friday night. The point of this is maximum exposure, and that means Friday.

So, Josh, I'd say to tell them to expect what people can get Friday off to be there Friday daytime, and then we go big time about 5PM (Just in time for the news casts and stuff)

There will be plenty of exposure, and that's part of the plan, right? I think that if we try anything Halloween night, it'd just get washed out by all the others in costume.

We might even want to do a follow up on Saturday, with events for kids, photo-opportunities, lightsaber fights, etc.

Friday night opening: Mini-lineup, and media-blitz. Hand-out free stuff.

Saturday: Set up backdrops and do photo ops, kids events, skits, etc.

What do you think?

25. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Friday night would be MUCH more workable for me, too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.