main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Phantom Menace DVD Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by adrich, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You... like your fellow fans... are now... MINE.

2. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    TPM is the one DVD that I hope does get re-released. The transfer is terrible ANH looks better. You can see the little black artifacts from the compression process and the edge enhancement is uhhhhh.
    I can't wait for a box set. Hopefully with some more deleted footage inserted.

3. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Episodes 1 and 2 are being reissued on DVD March 22, maybe we'll get a new transfer of TPM on DVD. what do you think?

4. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    I have never noticed any problem with the TPM transfer. It looks fan-bloody-tastic every time.

5. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Greetings all, :)

Has anyone else had problems with the TPM DVD in cutting off stuff? Every time I watch the "Duel of the Fates" video, it cuts off before the piece ends (a bit into the fireball-overtaking-the-battledroids-on-the-ship clip) and goes back to the menu. Annoying, to say the least.

Thanks!

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Does this happen in any other players?

7. QUI-DON-JINN

Feb 2, 2005
    To tell you the truth, I've not tried it in other players. I'll try it on the laptop tonight and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. QUI-DON-JINN

Feb 2, 2005
    OK, well, I played that video on my laptop using InterActual and it played just fine, but when I put it back into my JVC XC-LTR1 DVD player, it stopped and reverted to the menu near the end when the podracers are coming right at the camera. I thought it may have had something to do with the auto-resume feature I had selected, but it did the same thing when I took that off.

Anyone else have this problem or have an idea of what may be causing this?

Thanks!

9. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Any word as to why they are being re-released? New scenes perhaps?

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    JINN: I would surmise that it is something with your player.

As for why the DVDs are being re-released, it is simply because they were out of print in the U.S. (that happens with most films) and they figure some additional sales will happen with the OT DVD out and ROTS coming out.

11. DarthRodriqueeze

DarthRodriqueeze Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    ya in the first page Darth Stryphe said u can still find them in stores except- I CANT! i checked everywhere you'll have to wait till March 22, when they're re releasing them, im not sure if there just selling the same product again or if they made any changes. O you can still get them on starwars.com (except there 30 bucks each, thats why id rather wait then get them ther)

12. GohWL

GohWL Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2003
    Hey Amazon.com says a new stock of TPM and AOTC DVD will be arriving in Mar 05.
    Does anyone have any info on whether they will be identical to the first batch of TPM DVDs released in 2000?

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Please read the thread before posting. That question has been answered like 3 times.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  15. JakiChan

JakiChan Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    (Sorry - didn't see this thread before.)

Like many, I'm rewatching the 5 other movies in light of ROTS. And I gotta say - I think the video quality on the TPM DVD is pretty bad. Lots of film grain and such. This is on a 50" Hitachi LCD RPTV with a Mac Mini doing upconversion to 720p. It looks no where as good as the AOTC DVD (which is my "demo disc" - seismic charges RULE!) and even looks worse than the OT discs, which I find odd.

Unless they've deleted the files, I hope that they go back and do a direct-digital version of this disc...it deserves to look as good as it can!

16. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Is there only 1 menu for TPM Dvd?

17. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    TPM needs a new transfer. It looked great in 2001 but now you can really see its faults.

+ New transfer
    + CG Yoda (confirmed)
    + Rerecorded score (rumor for all 6)

I'd like to see a scene between Dooku & Qui-Gonn, as many fans would. That wd. be a nice addition :)

The existing DVD is still a great package: the special features are extensive & the menus awesome.

18. Tyranus22

Tyranus22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    It hasn't been officially confirmed, yet, that TPM has been updated with a CG yoda, don't go jinxing it! It did say in the "Making Of ROTS" book that Rob Coleman replaced TPM puppet yoda with digital yoda but IF and WHEN we get to see that change is the question! I'm guessing and hoping updated TPM will be released in a prequel boxset which should happen when ROTS comes out on dvd later this yr. It'd make sense to release it then. I'm not too bothered about the picture quality in TPM, it's not bad, although compared to AOTC and ROTS you can tell it wasn't filmed digitally. They'll prob clean the transfer up for the boxset release too. I highly doubt they'll add Dooku to TPM, it'd take away from the mystery of Dooku's character in AOTC.

19. JakiChan

JakiChan Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    I don't want them to change it, just give us a decent transfer without the edge enhancement and film grain. Throw it up on a big TV and it looks *really* bad. Especially when the OT DVDs look so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.