main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The **OFFICIAL** Phoenix Nerd Herd

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    It's a thread devoted to all the things you were made fun of for in High School. ;) Instead of starting a ton of seperate threads on different, but related topics, this one is for open discussion of Anime, Manga, Comic Books, Computer Games, etc, etc. (yes, I suppose I'll allow discussion of Star Wars here, too) :D

Anyone here watching Cowboy Bebop on the Cartoon Network? Or better yet, bought the box set? Which do you prefer, sub or dub? (and this goes for general anime, not just CB)

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    GAH!! To this day, I *still* don't have cable! Of course, my neighbor does, so I've seen the opening credits of Cowboy Bebop. **laugh** One of my really good friends loves the show, too, and has tried to get me into it. Again, cable would be a big help.

Lesse, what was I made fun of for in High School? ....

Well, other than being a perpetual loner (with only two to three friends at any given time), there wasn't much. I'm one of those "blend into the woodwork" people. It wasn't really until college that I started getting into comics, anime, and fantasy fiction in a big way. SW has always been big with me, though. ^.^ My best friend and I quoted it constantly through senior year.

I still watch afternoon cartoons too. Did that all through high school - Batman: The Animated Series, Batman: Beyond, X-men (original), X-men: Evolution, He-Man and She-Ra (I still love those too [face_laugh] )

Anime faves are pretty limited right now, due to lack of good access.
    - Sailormoon (don't kill me, I *love* this show)
    - Magic Knight Rayearth
    - Slayers (what little I've seen)
    - Escaflowne (again, what little I've seen - I really *love* the music to the "Over The Sky" OVA)

Have I branded myself as the ultimate nerd yet? [face_laugh] Actually, I like to consider myself "well-rounded." ;) At least I'll know what my kids are watching after school.

kreleia ^.^

3. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Batman: Beyond is a pretty good show. I still watch it occasionally on Cartoon Network. I really can't decide if I like it better than Batman: The Animated Series or not.

I watched part of the JLA movie a couple of weeks ago, but I had to turn if off it was so bad. //shrug Maybe it was just me, but I just couldn't get into it.

Now to answer my own question: I tend to like Subtitles better than dubbing in anime. Maybe my exposure is still a bit limited (no DVD player), but I've had some really bad experiences with dubbing (Ghost in the Shell :p).

4. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    I have to agree with you on the subtitles. The way Sailormoon was dubbed for North America... **turns green** Oh, it's bad. The dubbers basically scrapped the original storylines and made up their own in some of the episodes, and then deleted other episodes completely. I have the three movies in the subtitled versions, and they're so much better. I also have one of the DVDs, and I definitely prefer the subtitles.

Slayers I only have dubbed, as with Magic Knight Rayearth. But Rayearth was done well. Slayers, I'm not sure. I haven't heard much about it. When I finally am able to dive full-force into Escaflowne, it will be subbed. :)

That, and I draw anime fan-characters sometimes. If you want to see, go check out this page, and click on "Otaku" and "Requests/"

http://kreleia.tripod.com/images.htm

And, talk about being a complete nerd ( [face_laugh] ), I love doing fan-costumes. I'm tinkering with the idea of doing a Sailormoon/Star Wars crossover character costume. Sailor Corellia, anyone? [face_laugh] But, really, I have the means to do it, so I'm considering...

kreleia ^.^

P.S. There's a JLA movie?? I remember that really wierd X-men one that was made back in 1993 or so (and it wasn't called X-men - I think it was called "Generation X"), but not a JLA movie...

5. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Escaflowne was great from what I saw on tv a few months back. I'd like to eventually see the entire series, but I need to get a DVD player first.

Yeah, there was a JLA movie on Cartoon Network about a month ago. I think it was kicking off a new JLA cartoon series on the same channel. I haven't seen any of the series since the movie didn't impress me at all.

Anyone here play Magic: The Gathering?

6. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Come one, surely there are more geeks, nerds, gamers, etc. out there besides myself and kreleia.

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    They're in hiding. [face_laugh] It's hard to admit outloud and in public that you're a die-hard full-fledged nerd. Let's see what words of encouragement I have...

**clears throat** ||PEP TALK||
    **note: Pep talks by me are meant to be taken lightly...

Nerd-ism is *not* a bad thing! In fact, your interest in/love for things sci-fi, fantasy, anime and comicbook means you have a vivid and fully-functioning healthy imagination. C'mon, folks! It's not like IA and I walk around wearing SW or STrek costumes on a daily basis - hello! We just know what we like and talk about it.

"Closet nerd-ism" is not a bad thing either. In fact, a lot of people would probably consider me a "closet nerd" because I don't flaunt my fandom publicly everyday. In fact, I'm a very normal-looking person. (**laugh** No, I'm not stereotyping anyone, but I do know people who *are* the stereotypes.)

Just know that if you've made your presence known here on the boards, you shouldn't be (and don't need to be) uncomfortable discussing your hobbies (unless they're grossly inappropriate for public viewing/reading - you know what I mean).

Open up!!

||END PEP TALK||

My name is Kreleia, and I'm a NERD!! [face_laugh]

8. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Who says I don't wear SciFi costumes every day?? [face_shocked] ;)

9. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Anybody else besides me watching the Matrix right now? Anybody else besides me watch it last night as well? Anybody else besides me going to watch it again tomorrow night, too? ;)

I mean not only is the Matrix a great movie in and of itself, but it has that Lord of the Rings teaser at the end.

10. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    **kreleia, second in nerd-ism only to Idiots Array enters the ro-- um... board**

Ah yes, the Matrix. **swoon** LOVE the movie. Wish I owned that movie... come to think of it, I'm not sure why we don't. Don't worry, the swoon wasn't for Keanu Reeves (who's perfect in this movie because he hardly says a word).

Speaking of which, why on earth are you online while you're watching it!? **laugh** That's one of those shows where I barely move a muscle from beginning to end! Good grief, man! Turn off the computer and let the movie absorb you! [face_laugh]

P.S. Can't wait for the second one to come out! WOOHOO!!! Isn't that supposed to be next year sometime?

kreleia ^.^

11. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Oh, I long ago accepted the honorific of "Nerd Extraordinaire." Science geek, band nerd and a known SW fan. Course i was willing to go ahead with that stuff since I'd given up on trying to follow the necessary trends to fit in. I never got into anime though so I can't join in on those conversations. I do however, find that its so much more fun to be a nerd when you are in a nerd herd. Speaking of, I still need to get my Jedi Robes sewn... had technical difficulties and need to get my hands on a sewing machine. :) Following that, like all good Jedi I intend to make my own lightsaber. :)

12. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    LOL at all of you! Too funny.

Hm, well the closest thing I ever got to anime was Pokemon, which i LOVE, but I never revealed that until recently, lol.

I was teased for Star Wars, to be sure, and dressing like a hippie and <i can't believe i'm saying this> liking the Backstreet Boys.
    GASP!
    <runs and hides>

13. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    That's what commercials are for, kreleia. Like right now. ;)

//watching The Matrix again tonight

14. skywalkersound

skywalkersound Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Ah, the nobel title of 'Nerd'. I've not really been made fun of for liking SW, but for talking about it non-stop, or making numerous refferences to the events in the movie, or quoting it.

I do admit though, that I am an Anime fan. But not that stuff Dragon Ball Z, but Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, AKIRA, Princess Mononke, and Samuri X.

That, and well, I am a MAC user.

15. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    **cheers as 3 more nerds pop out of the woodwork**

Trends? What are those? [face_laugh] **devoutly sticking to either straight-legged or carpenter-style jeans - bell-bottoms or "flares" MUST DIE!!** It seems my sense of style got stuck in a deep rut back in about 1995. **laugh** I still love my plaid flannel shirts, straight-legged normal-waist jeans, and giant sweatshirts. Long live the t-shirt too! Besides, Star Wars isn't a trend - it's... well... Star Wars! **grin**

BTW, I finally asked for "The Matrix" for Christmas. I had to physically show Rob our tiny DVD collection to prove that we do not, in fact, own it. He was under the odd impression that we already did. ("No dear, that's X-Men." "Oh yeah...")

Hmmm, science nerd, eh? Anyone wanna do a field trip to the Kitt Peak Observatory with me at some point? I still haven't been down there yet! Gotta see the crater too - and, hey, where's that huge radio antenna array that SETI uses? Isn't that somewhere here in AZ too? **nudges EHM with an elbow** I'm new to AZ too - only been here for 2 years.

Long live the NERD HERD!!! [face_laugh]
    kreleia ^.^

16. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    It's on Mount Graham, and it belongs to my alma mater, Ohio State University. Kinda funny, been the source of protests on campus for the past several years.
    I like your taste in attire, kreleia, considering I'm currently wearing a basic pair of jeans, a tshirt and with an open button up denim shirt that I stole from my brother. :) got plenty of the plaid flannels around, for some reason they seem to be accumulating on my couch rather than hanging in my closet right now though... hmm... shirts wandering around while I'm at work is bad...

17. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    While we're seeing Kitt Peak we should stop at the Titan Missle Museum. It's down in the same general area. It's one of the only cold war-era missle silos open to the public (and where they filmed some of 'Star Trek: First Contact').

18. skywalkersound

skywalkersound Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Hey all, I know it's against Ebay policy, but since we are talking about DVD's and anime... I am selling quite a few of each, on Ebay, and if anyone would like to check them out, just do a member search for the user id: raphic.

I think there is ID4, Samurai X, and some others.

PS: Anyone besides me counting down the days till LOTR?

19. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Only one week until LotR, baybee. I'd take off work if I thought I could. As it is I'm considering trying to get in right after work. Maybe I'll see some of you in line, lol.

20. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Remember, if 3 or more of you make it to this movie... you guessed it, Meeting #2!! :D

Just let me know if 3 of you will be there and I will post it in FanForce.

21. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    What do you guys think about trying to pull it together for the movie? I'd have to wait til after work too though. If we do then where and when?

22. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Az Mills is the easiest for me. That's where I see most of my movies. I get off work at 3:30.

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Woohoo!! Meeting #2 here I... D'oh!!! Wait, does LOTR come out on Friday?? If it does, I'm out. We're flying up to Salt Lake again for the holidays. If it comes out on Wednesday, then no problem. Although, I'm placing my money on Friday... :mad:

DO IT ANYWAY!!! Get the group all together and go!! WOOHOO!!! (not that I'd expect you to cancel it just because I couldn't come. **laugh**)

kreleia ^.^

24. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    I think it's Wednesday, 19th. ;)

25. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Okay, guess we'll scratch the antenna array off of the AZ fieldtrip list. [face_laugh] Unless you want to take us all back to Ohio to check it out, EHM. ;) (I really *would* like to see it, actually.)

IA, I've been to the Titan Missile Museum!! It's VERY COOL!!! Rob and I did a Tucson road-trip the weekend after September 11th (too much TV that week), and went to the airplane boneyard (let's go there too!) and the Missle site! And, yes, there were plenty of jokes flying around about reinstating the missile and tracking down Osama bin Laden. I'd go again! Definitely!

As for LOTR, PLEEEEEEEEEASE let it come out on Wednesday!! PLEASE!!! **crosses fingers and starts doing Jedi meditations** Oh, and AZ Mills works for me! Let's go later in the evening (between 5 and 9) so I can have Rob or a neighbor tend Jacob.

kreleia ^.^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.