main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The **OFFICIAL** Phoenix Nerd Herd

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    kreleia: LotR comes out on Dec. 19, which is a Wednesday (a week from yesterday). Moviefone.com is listing LotR showtimes at Az Mills as 6:15pm and 10:15pm, but this early that's probably subject to change. I can't believe they aren't showing LotR on more screens. We'll probably have to wait on making definite plans until sometime next week.

To recap: Meet at Az Mills movie theater next Wednesday (Dec. 19) in the evening (between 5pm and 9pm) to see LotR. No showtime decided yet. Any problems with that?

2. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Side Note: I think the antenna array you're thinking about, kreleia is in southern New Mexico. I think it was used in the movie Contact (Jodi Foster, Matthew McConaughey...based on the Carl Sagan novel of the same name...one of my all-time favorites, btw.). My dad and I drove by there once several years ago.

3. skywalkersound

skywalkersound Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    I'll be there, on the 19, 20, 21, etc...

4. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I could be wrong, but I was also thinking it was in AZ. It's definately out west somewhere because of less light pollution. But it does belong to OSU.
    Where precisely is AZ Mills guys? I'm cool with an evening showing so long as I can get there in time from work (done at 5). But I work clear up by Deer Valley and I-17.

5. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Have you guys/gals decided on a definite meeting place and time? If so, I need to know so I can post this on Fanforce.net. ;)

6. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Arizona Mills is the big mall near I-10 and US-60. Here's a map from Moviefone.com

http://www.moviefone.com/showtimes/theater.adp?page=map&theaterid=9049&date=20011214

and one from Mapquest.com

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=5000+Arizona+Mills+Circle&city=tempe&state=az&zipcode=85281&homesubmit.x=9&homesubmit.y=12

Elan-Rai: it looks like the place has been decided, but we won't have an exact time until I can get a definite showtime for the movie.

7. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Alrighty! Just let me know and I'll get 'er started.

8. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Alrighty, then. Got Wednesday night set aside (woohoo!) - Rob's coming, so now I just hafta find a babysitter. o_O;

Speaking of baby, Jacob just cut his first tooth today. He was screaming like a banshee all afternoon, and I honestly could not figure out why. I tried EVERYTHING!! Then, of course, *tonight* as I'm getting him ready for bed, it dawned on me that he might be getting a tooth. Sure enough! Bottom right front tooth has surfaced. Poor kid! I wish that had crossed my mind earlier!

ANYWAY, yes, Wednesday night works for me! And... New Mexico occurred to me too, but then EHM mentioned that it was owned by Ohio State, and for some reason I naturally assumed that's where it was. But, yeah, it probably is in NM. (this is what happens when I've been sick. All my intelligence and memory... well, what little was there to begin with... flies into the wind.)

Elan_Rai, you havin' a tough time deciding on your name colors? **laugh** It seems like every time I've looked the last couple days, it's different. Things in Tennessee aren't *that* bad, are they? ;) But, yes, we'll definitely let you know as soon as we have a solid time.

Anwelei, you with us on Wednesday? BTW, how did your finals go?

How 'bout Darth Vorpel? dustchick? Tellesto? Emperor_Dan? Maybe I need to do another roll call real quick...

kreleia ^.^

9. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Unfortunately, I have had a bad habit of selective colors that aren't pleasing to the eye... :(

Now, this is a little.. tiny bit better. ;)

10. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    Of course i'm making plans to be there on Wednesday! I'm attempting to convince my sis and her boyfriend to go to AZ Mills with me instead of Centerpoint 11 right now too.

And my finals went really well. Thanks Kreleia! :)

11. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    Re: radio telescopes

If you're thinking of an array of telescopes, then you're likely thinking of the Very Large Array near Socorro, New Mexico. It is run by the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, and you can get there if you follow Highway 60 about halfway through New Mexico. There are some single radio dish observatories in Arizona, including two on Kitt Peak. Ohio State is a partner on the Large Binocular Telescope being built on Mount Graham here in Arizona, and that is an optical telescope.

Just in case you were still interested.

12. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    ah, thanks for the info. glad I wasn't totally delusional. :)

13. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    **bows to dustchick** Ah, the almighty radio telescope... um... nerd? ;) Thanks for setting the record straight!

kreleia ^.^

14. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    Well, now you know one of the topics besides SW that makes me a nerd. I embrace my inner geek.

15. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Now you know; and knowing is half the battle! ;)

16. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    I guess my G.I. Joes reference killed the thread...

17. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Not necessarily. It was just such a golden moment that we all decided to let it reign the thread for a while. ;) Of course, now the thread has been re-opened for business.

Went skiing today for the first time in 3 years... can we say "exhaustion"? :eek: Made a fool of myself a total of 3 times too. Guess that's one mishap for each year, eh? **embarassed** Completely wiped out the first time (under the lift too, so I had an audience that went "Oooooh!" when I went down), biffed it coming off the lift (the stinkin' lift!) the second time, and somehow got scooped back up by the lift seat the third time. Had to have the lift stopped just so I could jump down. The people at the top of the run thought it was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. [face_blush] Of course, every single one of these things just had to happen where there were lots of witnesses to my ego crushing blows. [face_laugh] Hopefully I've filled my quota for mishaps now. I'm thinking of going again next week. (<-- glutton for punishment)

Everyone else having a good holiday break?

kreleia ^.^

18. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Yes, I am vacationing in San Francisco... real foggy but the weather isn't much different from Scottsdale right now :). Glad to hear you meeting went well!

19. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Does anyone know any place online that offers free or very inexpensive web hosting services that also allows linking directly to graphics? I used to use Geocities, but several months ago they stopped allowing you to link directly to pictures and it seems like most of the other web hosting sites are doing the same thing. I want to setup my own webserver eventually, but I don't really have the money right now.

20. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I use Stormpages... They allow you to link to your images.

However, you CAN just make a blank HTML page with nothing on it but the image. That works the same way. Any paticular need for the linking to images?

21. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Anyone here have experience with Linux/Apache?

India Alpha

22. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Ok, making costumes and lightsabres has got to qualify us as nerds. This thread needs to go back UP!

India Alpha

23. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    hmm. i was into weird stuff in school. smashing pumpkins, rocky horror picture show, the wall, a clockwork orange, brazil...pretty much anything that could give me a sort of "entertainment-high," since i'm the only (ex) pseudo-goth i've ever met who's never touched a drug or cigarette. :p

i wanted to be a rock star, and i was really in love with the tormented artist eidolon, so the idea back then was basically, "how much can i do to myself just by thinking about it?" (well the answer, as it turns out, is quite a bit) i kind of felt like even pain was at least a feeling, and it was better than nothing at all. does that make sense? argh i'm ranting now.

i had a habit of looking down at people who had to do drugs and crap like that to go to that place in the psyche where i believe art is created, because i felt (still do) that if you need to use some kind of hallucinogen to go to that place, you're not meant to go there and you're trespassing. that kind of goes into my whole narcissistic diety complex too, though.

ah, now that i've completely brought the mood of the board down, rofl... i think the thing that really singled me out in high school was the fact that i was pretty intelligent but didn't want to do work in class (i didn't mind learning but i didn't like busy work), and i didn't like the way the popular people were (though i got along with them), so i hung out mainly with the stoners and otherwise non-populars. but i never did drugs, like i said, so it was kind of like no matter where i went i wasn't gonna fit in, so i stopped trying pretty early on.

hmm i never really did figure out why the hell no guys liked me in school, though. i figured always it was just because i'm overweight, because in junior high i was thin and i had 3 boyfriends in one year... but lately i think it must have been something else. maybe i'm just annoying.

*rereads post* yeah that must be it. ;)

24. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Jupitertronic, congrats on being drug free. I also have never used a drug stronger than alcohol. I need all the brain cells I can get. I can?t speak for the past but I don?t find you annoying.

25. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    aw thank you for not thinking i'm annoying. :) yeah i've had alcohol but it's a rare thing and i've only gotten drunk once. and then i was lucky; didn't get sick, and no hangover. had to run from the cops though...that was probably the most notable thing i ever did as far as getting in trouble, lol. and i wasn't caught, which is always good. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.