Phx The **OFFICIAL** Phoenix Nerd Herd

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Costumes and sabers do not a nerd make. ;) But *making* them... okay, IA, looks like you win. [face_laugh] (And you all thought I was strange at first! HA! :D )

Sweet! Welcome to my world, too, jt. :) I haven't ever touched drugs or cigarettes either. OR alcohol for that matter, but when a good half of your gene pool comes from alcoholics, I think you'll agree that I have a really good reason not to touch the stuff. Besides, I've found that alcohol is mighty expensive, and I'm poor enough as it is. [face_laugh]

Anyway, 'tis cool that I share a similar background with you, too. No guys throughout my secondary education career (at ALL! None! Zip-o!), not really fitting in with any one group in particular (I'm really actually a bit of a loner, believe it or not - it stems from the whole shyness issue), and just always kinda doing my own thing while getting along (or trying to) with most people.

Still, I've never felt out of place with any of you guys when I've met you in person. :) Really. Awkward, yes - meeting someone for the first time is *always* awkward. But it must be a mutual acceptance thing. We all know we're quirky, so we just expect and accept it from each other. That, in my book, is the absolute best! WOOHOO!!

kre-the-leia-wannabe ^.~
  2. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah i've never been with any guys... that's actually my own choice, because i did have about four chances i can think of off the top of my head to have ahem.. you know. i've got some issues with that whole idea though which is why i haven't bothered doing any of that yet. and it's fine with me, it's kind of last on my list of things to do before i die.

i used to be really shy so yeah i was kind of a loner. i mean i always had a few friends but we all kind of kept to ourselves (except around each other). i was never really hurting for friends though, because i'm pretty friendly (at least i think so). and now that i'm out of high school (which was a really unpleasant experience), i'm really barely shy at all, which is why currently the only profession i can think to want to pursue is acting. :) my family all think i should be a singer but i wouldn't want to just do that. too shallow i think. hmm i guess no one really asked what i wanted to do, so i'll shush. :p

i think this could be a reason we're all star wars fans, though. i mean SW was a great escape for me during school and the escapism aspect of it is almost the most attractive part of the movies/books/etc for me.

well now i *am* just ranting. ;)
  3. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not to be critical, jupiter, but some of the info you've posted is a bit personal. I'm not too worried about our FF members, but I don't know who else may be looking at these threads. Just my two creds.

India Alpha
  4. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And what a rant!! [face_laugh] No, but really, how cool to find someone who's so much like me! ^.^ Sistah, we're gonna have to chat. I have a feeling you and I could go on and on and on about everything. **laugh** Yeah, they'll love us at the Lineup. ;)

hypothetical example:
    sideshow: Um, excuse me, but could you two *possibly* shut up just long enough to *try* to do your line jobs?
    kreleia and jt: :eek:

I'm kiddin' sideshow. You know we luv ya! ;)

kreleia ^.^
  5. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    well actually it really doesn't bother me for people to know so much about me. i know that sounds odd but it's true... i'm not sure why. basically i'm fine talking about anything but my home address, heh. maybe it's kind of an innocent way to be about the internet but honestly i just don't care how much people know about my personal life. that's why i have an online journal, hehe. if there's one thing i can say about myself it's i definitely like people knowing my opinion and where i'm coming from. i guess that's why i want to be a celebrity so much. ah, we all have our idiosyncracies. thanks for the concern though. :)

ack now i feel stupid for talking so much though. i'm lonely so i talk a lot when given the chance, heh. i'm shutting up now, honest.
  6. Anwelei Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jt, don't feel stupid for sharing! I do the same thing in person. I can talk and talk for hours on nothing when given the chance, now that I've outgrown most of my shyness.

and you and Kreleia sound like you are describing me to a tee, lol! I think sideshow's gonna have a hard time with all three of us at the line up. ;)
  7. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    i'm glad to know i'm not the only one like me, rofl. :D how's your costume going, anwelei? i'm going to buy the material today. but there's a problem... the patterns mentioned at amber's jedi meditation chamber aren't in stock at joann's and i don't know if they will be anywhere else either. :( might have to wing this one, and i'm not sure how well my grandma can do that, she seems to like following patterns exactly.

anyway, good luck on your costume. :D
  8. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I guess I might as well post. I am (takes deep breath)...a nerd!

The reason I say sort of is that in high school I was one of the "smart" nerds, so most of the time I had the same classes with the same "smart" people. Anytime I did have a "regular" class, I never had any real problems; after all, for test study days, who was the most popular person in the class: me or the cheerleader? (I'll give you a hint...it wasn't the cheerleader ;) ).

Anyway, I did (and sometimes still do) play Magic, but it doesn't seem like a bunch of people play any more. Oh well.

kreleia: Hey, I like Sailor Moon! If you ever have a Sailor Moon marathon at your house or something, let me know ;) :D.

Hello all peoples I met and/or didn't meet at the FanForce meeting!

Yeah, I think I'm done proving I'm a nerd :).
  9. Anwelei Jedi Knight

star 3
    JT, in regards to the patterns you need, have you tried Wal-Mart? that's where i got my robe pattern.

<sigh> My costume is still in the thinking stage just cause school commitments are keeping me really busy, but my mom and I are gonna work on it tonight! I'm so excited! Thanks for asking! :-D

Hmm, back on topic, I think I already mentioned I'm into Pokémon to a fault, lol. The mere fact I'm into a boyband, was at all in the school band AND wore Leia buns to school once confirmed my mental status in highschool, but I had a blast.
  10. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ooooh!! Sailormoon marathon!! :D What a cool idea!! **watches sideshow run for the nearest restroom** Okay, okay. It'll be on a different day than the "real anime" marathon (Akira, Macross, Princess Mononoke... did you mention Evangelion too?). ;) Hmmm... maybe we'll have a "chicks shoujo anime" day (Sailormoon, Rayearth, Card Captor Sakura, oooh! Have you ever seen Shamanic Princess? Goooood!!). hee hee! [face_laugh]

ANYWAY, I re-checked for the patterns that Amber has listed on her site... and Simplicity no longer prints them!! AUGH!! Or at least, that's what it looks like. I'm betting it's the one I saw in their book not too long ago, and it's just been re-numbered. SO, here's something that might work:

Amber based her robes off of a basic cloak pattern. I have one - it's not the one Amber has (mine is McCalls #8936), but looking at the robe pattern layout on her site, my cloak pattern is almost exactly the same. I've been digging through the online catalogs trying to find either *my* pattern or a similar one, and I can't. They DO exist. The crappy thing about online catalogs is that they don't show everything that the in-store book catalogs have. -.-; Anyway, if you can't find it, I'll let you use mine for the main cloak part. I'll draw up a sleeve portion to attach to the pattern (like Amber did) - the hood Amber has looks easy enough to do without a pattern.

For the tunic on Amber's page... OMG!!! I *have* Simplicity #8311!! WOOHOO!! Hey, ask, and ye shall receive! :)

Okay. I hope some of that helps. Heaven knows it's taken me long enough to write this post. [face_blush]

kreleia ^.^
  11. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    okay okay okay. i can actually help for once.

i found simplicity 8311 today. go to joann's. simplicity patterns are 2 for $3!!! i could NOT find the robe pattern, 7438, but the other one definitely does still exist. the cover shows an egyptian, an i dream of jeannie girl and a man and woman in brightly colored kimonos.

simplicity 8944 is a complete phantom menace rip off on it's picture (also there's a ninja) but upon closer inspection you'll notice it's only really good for the gi (tunic) and robe. the robe looks really good. i made it for the harry potter movie premiere thinking it would look like their school robes and it's much more like a jedi robe. the hood needs work though and if you're picky (like i am) about being just like the movie, it's got shoulder seams because the sleeves are attached seperately, unlike the movie costumes. anyway it does look right so it'd probably be a good template pattern. if you can find it, cause it's harder to find lately. sally's fabrics and joann's (both on main street in mesa) probably have those patterns. the only other thing to say about the robe is you'll want to trim the inside hems, by the neckline especially, cause they're so big they come out and it looks goofy. :)

about the obi/sash, i like amber's idea but if you start running late and don't feel like going through all the trouble of cutting that out (erm, which will probably apply to me lol), i say just wrap a piece of cloth around you a couple times and tuck it in. kind of stupid to say such a simple idea but maybe it hasn't crossed everyone's mind. :D

good luck to everyone. now let's see if i can finish my ren costume, too. :p
  12. dustchick Jedi Knight

star 1
    Let's see, no drugs, cigarettes, alcohol...shy, yet friendly... lonely, yet comfortable being a loner... you're also describing me!

At some point, I gotta get you guys to show me how to use the sewing machine a friend gave me. I can sew, but only under supervision.
  13. EmprsHandMick Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh boy, I thought I'd gotten this from Amber's site... ooopss...
    check out http://littleowl.com/costumes/jedi.htm
    that's the outline I used for my cloak, my suggestion though, the 10" across pieces are too narrow, I'd add a couple inches, probably also do the back as one solid piece rather than 2 pieces next time. REALLY simple all rectangles and gives a nice full hood and sleeves.
  14. Emperor_Dan Jedi Master

star 4
    Wait, there's a pattern called 8311??

TOO COOL!
  15. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    lmao i noticed that too. good way to remember the number, and proof that george works in mysterious ways. hehehe
  16. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  17. VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  18. Jedi_Wench Jedi Master

star 4
    DUUUDE! :D This looks like my kind of place!

One of my professors asked me yesterday if I dye my hair red because of Star Wars! I'm still trying to figure out just who she thought I was trying to look like. She's a fan of the OT, but doesn't know diddly about the EU or anything.
  19. Kirana_T Jedi Master

star 4
    Woah, historical document. :D

Wenchy, maybe your professor knows who Mara Jade is? She has red hair. Otherwise, that's just a completely weird question. :p
  20. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_shocked]

Talk about your blast from the past! [face_shocked] The Phoenix Nerd Herd returns! :D Woo-hoo! :D
  21. Jedi_Wench Jedi Master

star 4
    I was thinking she was thinking Mara too until I asked her and she says:

"Mara Who? No, I'm talking about Star Wars!"

I just had to laugh. Poor thing, ignorance can be quite funny really.
  22. Kirana_T Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, just a completely weird question, then. [face_laugh]

Ignorance can be rather amusing, can't it. :D
  23. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "You said it Chewie... Where did you dig up that old fossil?"

In other words, who requested this thread be returned to the living, and is now in line for the beating? ;) [face_laugh]
  24. VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can neither confirm nor deny any information on who requested this.
  25. Sistine Jedi Master

star 4
    You want High School nerdom!

JROTC
    and a cheerleader...that makes for an interesting line up in the parking lot on formation day!

The end of my Sophmore year I gave up on trying to fit in and went to the dark side. All black, combat boots or Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers and a trenchcoat. It went well with the black makeup and bright red lipstick.

I laugh at the kids who give me stange looks when I walk into Hot Topic. 'Please Junior, I was wearing jump-boots before you were even born.'
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.