main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The **OFFICIAL** Phoenix Nerd Herd

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

MJ_Keehan_Sundve Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    *screams to the sky*

I WATCH THE DISNEY CHANNEL AND SILENT FILMS!!

Wow. That felt good.

2. death_starlet

death_starlet Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2002
    I like opera. Enough said.

3. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    I have R2D2 and Yoda on my desk, and a Harry Potter mousepad (with removeable stickers :))-AT WORK!

My car has both a Rebel decal and a Golden Snitch antenna ball.

Feeling the nerdliness. [face_love] :D

4. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

MJ_Keehan_Sundve Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    I prefer to watch a B&W movie anyday over this crap they make now...

I hate Austin Powers/Adam Sandler movies, because I don't find them funny. The only movies I find truly funny are the old comedies of the B&W era...

5. Master_R0nin

Master_R0nin Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    I was called a geek in Highschool cause I was obsessed with Quake. EVERYBODY had to know how incredibly cool it was and it was the best game ever and I was dying to get home (I went to a boarding academy) so I could play it. I even wrote some English papers about it. Got pretty good grades on them too.

But I'm past that now...

Riiiiiiiiight.

6. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    I like A&E, I watch channel 8 on a regular basis and never miss Masterpiece Theater.

I love to read Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Shakepeare, along with Star Wars novels, Wheel of Time and anything else that just sends me silly.

I collect Legos and Action Figures, am utterly addicted to great movies of all eras and am madly in love with Rowan Atikson, better known as Mr. Bean or the Black Adder.

British comedies are an obsession of mine. If you watch "Are You Being Served", "The Thin Blue Line", "Mr. Bean", "Monty Python", "Keeping Up Appearances", or "Faulty Towers" you are a kindred soul.

I like ballet and opera as well as classical music, in addition to rock, metal, rap, R&B, Jazz which I find hot, and yes, heaven forbid even country.

I played the Clarinet in High School, was in the Marching Band, was a Peer Counselor, lettered in Academics, Seminary and Track (as a manager) and made sure to get straight A's, mostly out of a horrific fear of letting my parents down.

I also have a weakness for Anne of Green Gables and The Boxcar Children series.

I have a stamp collection, a coin collection and I own guppies.

To top it all off I am considered the official nerd of my nursing class because I'm a member of Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key, and Sigma Theta Tau and still have straight A's which I'm still trying to figure out.

DO I QUALIFY AS A NERD YET? ;)

7. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Oooh, a fellow clarinetist! I still believe if you're going to march with an instrument the licorice stick is your best friend. It's lightweight and doesn't have an awkward stance for when you play :)

8. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    WOOT Sister!

Plus you don't have those nasty spit valves the brass has! I still have my clarinet though I don't play these days.

I've also played the piano, violin, and french horn in days gone by.

The violin lessons ended when I cut the end of one of my fingers off with a window and a potted plant.

The piano ended when my teacher figured out I couldn't read the music on the page (at the time) and got pissed cause I was playing by watching her and by ear.

The french horn ended cause I couldn't stand having numb lips everyday. I would wind up talking like that one kid on the Cosby Kids by the time practice was over...
    Whabit? I dibit doob thabit!

DOH!

9. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    yeah, we used to have a ton of fun harassing the brass players about how they would have blown lips so early and we could keep playing for hours. Of course if I tried to play at the top of my old range right now I'd probably put a hole through my lower lip....

10. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    LOL! One day as a joke we put buckets by each of the brass players seats, but it back-fired....

They looked at the buckets, looked at us, looked at each other and said:

Hey thanks!

GRRRRRRR! I hate when a joke backfires into something useful! ARRRGGG!

11. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    sometimes i wonder if i'm really a nerd or just a nerd lover. i mean, growing up, the only characters i liked in movies or tv shows were the "nerdy" ones. egon (from ghostbusters), simon (from alvin and the chipmunks), gadget (from rescue rangers), beakman (beakman's world), bill nye (yes, the science guy) and even, dare i say it, the mad scientist on the attack of the killer tomatoes cartoon.

in elementary school, i'd get obsessed with a random disney movie (mary poppins, robin hood), and i'd watch it over and over, every day. the movie would end, i'd rewind the movie, watch it again. i'd draw out all the costumes down to the last detail and be like, "okay, grandma. make me this." and sometimes she would.

i think altogether i had a wendy costume, an alice costume, a jasmine costume, a snow white costume, a dorothy costume (wizard of oz), a belle costume (the blue dress, though it never got finished), and...

yes, i had a little mermaid costume. i even specified that it have an actual fin and not "that stupid skirt thing" like the costumes you could buy. :D and the "sea shells" didn't have any straps on top. just like the movie. how cool was i? ;)

i really wanted to go to a private school when i was younger, so i bought pleated skirts and peter pan collared shirts and cardigans and mary janes and knee highs, etc, and wore only that stuff for a good chunk of i think 3rd grade. (this is probably why i was so determined to get a hogwarts costume, as it totally fed into my dream of going to a private school back then.)

currently, my ghostbuster obsession is almost going too far. it's like i'm only truly happy while watching ghostbusters (the first one), and whenever egon's on screen i squeal like the first time i ever saw snape on screen. i've even started writing in a role playing livejournal community, where my boyfriend is, you guessed it, egon. *lowers head in shame*

and the other day i almost bought a '51 hearse to convert into an ectomobile. then i decided i'll just turn my nissan into one; it'll be funnier anyway.

so now i find myself fantasizing about having a closet full of different colored labcoats... damn you, egon, damn you! :p

anyway, yeah. i too am a nerd.

we need to put together a nerds anonymous. i'd probably show up just to meet cute nerdy guys with tall hair and wire rimmed glasses. teehee. ;)

12. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    What's wrong with having a closetfull of lab coats?

13. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] YOU ROCK Jupiter!!!

I too have a labcoat...or two. In shades of O-Chem and Micro.

14. EmprsHandMick

Dec 7, 2001
    Ah, Micro-colored lab coats... a lovely pattern of iodine-yellow, crystal violet and safranin-pink... perhaps even a little malachite green for variety ;)

15. Master_R0nin

Master_R0nin Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    I guess I should complete my nerd qualifications...

Aside from my fixation on Star Wars and other Science Fiction/Fantasy things (I have the complete Star Trek movie collection)...

I collect DVDs, 129 titles to date.

I collect(ed, still want to get back into it) comic books, approximately 555 books to date.

I still have all my old Nintendo Power issues, from issue 35 to 118, I believe.

My car and my computer are my two most prized earthly possessions.

...and I have in my possession a red ticket with a big #1 on it that means I was the first to walk through the door of the theater for Episode 2, with a total of 115 camping hours on my back.

16. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Let's see if this qualifies....

Played competitive baseball/softball from the age of 6 until I was 16 (all the way to Girls AAA Amateur)

Drummer in an amateur drump corp for 4 years (playing cymbols/bass/doubles/triples/bells)

Percussionist in Jr. HS symphonic band

Drummer in a garage band ages 13-16

Cheerleader at the age of 5 (and that's just how fast I outgrew it too :p )

Started reading at age 3

Started reading history books at age 7

Became WWII Political History officionado at age 10

Cyclist for 4 years (ages 10-14)

Mime (some weird phase in Jr. HS)

Spiked and multi-colored hair, ages 15/16

HS Career involved Tech Theatre, Student Training, Pre-Med Club Officer, Basketball, heavy drinking and more practical jokes than I can count (or remember - see previous entry [face_blush] )

Went through series of middle of the road jobs only to learn that I should have gone to college and become a history teacher in the first place [face_blush]

Does that qualify me?

Oh yeah, and a mind filled w/ more useless trivia about a wide variety of topics than any human being should ever be allowed to have :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.