1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive The *OFFICIAL* Photoshop Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Otis_Frampton, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Master

star 4
    And what the heck is layer blending? What can it do?
    it may be more complicated than i realise, but i use it mainly for the 'multiply' option...

OH! So that's what you meant by layer blending. Must have been having a brain cloud.

Yep, the Multiply option is pretty cool. I use that one a lot for all of my preliminary stuff - combining scanned sketches, etc. I don't use it for final lines because it doesn't work so well if you want to color your lines.

The others? Well, just play around... they all basically make the top colour have a different effect on whatever is below. Can be useful for adding washes and suchlike.

My favorites are Overlay and Soft Light. Soft LIght works great for washes, like Duke said. I don't do this as often as I used to, but I would make a crazy texture, throw some filters on it, then experiment with the Layer Blending, and the opacity. It's all hit and miss, but pretty fun to play around with.

~Baroness
  2. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    what!?! Bar... what are you doing up at this sensible time in the morning?? Shouldn't you be resting up in preparation for another all-nighter? ;)

because it doesn't work so well if you want to color your lines.

Create a new layer, set it to colour or to hue, and paint over your lines... voila! :D (says he, trying to sound all clever, but who in reality is way too lazy to ever do something that requires such attention to detail!)
  3. TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Master

star 4
    what are you doing up at this sensible time in the morning??

crazy, no? sort of sets your world on it's side, eh? Don't worry. It won't last. ;)

Thanks for the multiply trick! gonna have to try it out.

-sleepy bar
  4. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    I've never actually bothered to use the pen tool. I don't think I'm at all familiar with it, but I'll play with it. Seeing as how I taught myself all the other stuff, I don't suppose it can be that hard...

Also, let me present a photo manipulation task, and see if there are ways to accomplish what I'm trying to do other ways than I've thought of...

Let's say I've got an image of a football player in uniform... now, let's say his jersey is green.

What would you do to effectively change his jersey to red?

I'm sure there must be some fairly simple way to do this (although I realize nothing is all THAT simple), I just don't know it.

I never play around with hue/saturation/etc., as I have absolutely no clue what it does.

Suggestions? Tips? Methods?

Vertical
  5. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    crazy, no? sort of sets your world on it's side, eh? Don't worry. It won't last.

good, well, i hope it doesn't. I was starting to lose my grip on reality for a moment there... ;)

Let's say I've got an image of a football player in uniform... now, let's say his jersey is green.

What would you do to effectively change his jersey to red?

Okay, well, since I'm imagining the grass/playing surface to be green also - just tell the player that his teamates won't be able to see him very well, as he blends into the bacground with his green shirt. Suggest Red as an alternative, and hopefully he'll go change. :D

Sorry! Alright - seriously. with the ground most liekly being green too - changing the greens in the picture will also make the ground red too... so you will have to end up isolating the shirt - and this means using the aforementioned pen tool!

Once you've done that, the world is your oyster... (well, if not the world, the shirt, at least.)

You're along the right lines with hue/saturation - where you can choose to modify individual colour groups from a pull down menu. This can be a little unpredictable at times - so your best bet is to stick with the master. if you've got only the shirt selected, you should be fine. Try it - it's really easy!
  6. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    Alright, so once I've got the jersey selected, where exactly do I mess with the hue/saturation/that sort of thing? I mean, I see it in all sorts of pull-downs, so I'm not sure if there's one menu or pull-down that is the 'master' control...

If that makes any sense...

EDIT: I achieved it through Layer > New Adjustment Layer once I had selected the jersey itself. Then I just slid the hue to the color I wanted.

Cool.

Vertical
  7. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I never use ajustment layers - so all i can talk about is the one in image/ajust...

By 'master' i mean the little pull down inside the hue/sat popup.

but don't bother touching that, as it's set to master by default. Just slide the hue bar up and down, until you get as close as you can to the colour you want.

You may then have to create a new layer, fill your selection with a strong red, and find the best blending option to colour the layer below... after a little trial and error, you should be able to get exactly what you want! :)

8. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Vertical,

Don't forget to look back through the thread for those valuable tutorial links that have been posted. :D

-Otis
  9. Tarkheki Jedi Knight

star 2
    well, i dunno if this has ever come up, but i know a nifty little photoshop trick that can work with characters who are black (vader, etc) and it makes a great "fade in" or "fade out" (as seen on my poster).

anyone interested?
  10. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    I've got a quick question. It's about text in PS. I don't know if anyone has seen the banner I've been working on in the St. Louis Banner thread, but I've got it pretty much done, and I need to add the text at the top. My first problem is, with the Star Jedi font from Boba Fonts, when I do a capital V (Arch Vader's Society) it puts out an R. The second problem is I want the text to look like it is coming from under the banner making an outward indentation like here. If anyone can tell me how to achieve this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help in advance.
  11. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    okay, create your text, and give it a color something like white.

then, go to layer/layer style, and select bevel/emboss from the list. Choose emboss from the further options, and play about with the settings until you're happy.

Then, change the layer blending options to multiply - this should effectively make the white text transparent, leaving the remaining shadow effects to make it appear as if the text were stamped into the picture from behind. Duplicate the layer, and set it's blending to something like color burn instead - this should bring out the highlights - and then play with the opacity until it suits you...

hopefully you'll end up with something that you like! :)
  12. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you so much Duke. That was exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I'll post the final product by tonight.
  13. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Skyfang Jedi Knight

star 2
    Photoshop is a great program, but sometimes it can be very frustrating.

Can someone tell me how to make diffrent contours in photoshop, bcause I'm lost and I don't feel like searching websites :D
  15. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    what do you mean by contours? Isn't that something they have on maps?? (Sorry if i sound really stupid there...) :D
  16. Tarkheki Jedi Knight

star 2
    to expand on duke there, do you mean like different textures?
  17. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean by "contours", either.

-Otis
  18. Skyfang Jedi Knight

star 2
    hehehe, I'd say language barrier 8-}

Uhm, I meant contour, when you chose Blending option youn take several blending options, like dropshadow, inner glow etc. Among that you can find bevel and emboss, and sub options contour and texture.

What I want to know if you can create more contours in photoshop.
  19. Tarkheki Jedi Knight

star 2
    ohhh!
    now i get it!
    yah, you want "plug-ins" in order to make cool texture effects!
    the best so far ae "eyecandey 4000" and "alien skin" (the last one is good with older versions of photoshop). there are sevral to download on kazaa and on tucows.com

hope this helps! >:}
  20. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    What I want to know (is) if you can create more contours in photoshop.

In my experience you can do anything with Photoshop that you can imagine . . getting there is the trick. ;)

-Otis
  21. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    ah - you just needed to be a little more specific about which part of photoshop you were talking about!

Right, in order to modify the contour, just click on the little thunmbnail image of your currently selected contour... if you want to make a new one so as not to change any of the originals, then go to select a new contour from the existing options, and there should be a little balck arrow you can click on... (not sure about pc version) click on this, and you get a bunch of options... select 'new contour', and you're away! :)
  22. Tarkheki Jedi Knight

star 2
    or you can go download a plug-in and save yourself all the time.
    duke, REALLY time unefficiant. >;}
  23. Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    yes, for those of you who're slowcoaches when it comes to using Pshop, Takheki's right... ;)
  24. Skyfang Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, thanks all, get it now.

I know you can do about everything with photoshop, but it's gonna take a while before I get there. And this crappy dutch book about photoshop isn't helping. Better switch to online tutorials :D

Anyway, thanks for the help!
  25. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    somebody has to know how to do this. how do you make a transparent gif in photo shop. i did it real briefly but my actions with the mouse were too fast, i don't really reember what i did to make the pic transparent.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.