main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Playstation 3 Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Gatherer, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey that reminds me, anyone remember the early PS2 comersials where it showed the PS9.

I love that commercial.

It was like a small transparentish ball that said 'PS9' in the font how 'PS2' is written. It was something like it plugged straight into your adrenal gland.

It would be cool if when PS9 actually comes out, that's what it really is.

Anyone here gonna buy PSX? I think it's kinda pointless unless you don't have a PS2 already. Even then it's kinda pointless, cuz you can wait like a year and buy a PS3.

It's all just a scam to make us empty out our wallets.

I don't see why PS3 won't play PS1 games. PS2 plays them, and if the PS3 can play PS2 games, then it should play PS1 games. Oh well, doesn't much matter to me cuz I would never really play PS1 games, unless I got my hands on GTA, GTA2, and GTA:London.

2. XaeroN9ne

XaeroN9ne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2003
    Im not going to buy it because i already have a computer with more than twice the GB of the PSX and a DVD-RW and i already have a PS2. Also i have a Radeon All-In-Wonder card so i already have free TIVO and i can import from my TV and record gameplay, TV shows etc. if i wanted to. I don't need the PSX because i already have it. lol. :p

Another reason is your point about the PS3 coming out a year later. Greedy devils.

Also, Sony is marketing the PSX like a home entertainment system that plays games, not the other way around. Its gonna cost a rediculous amount of $$. Maybe when I'm a billionaire I'll drop $1000 to have it all in a nice little pretty white box. ;)

3. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    I gotta admit, it looks pretty nice (check out the screens on gamespot.com).

Isn't it kinda messed up that the controller ports are in the back? It causes a whole jumble of wires, not to mention, it looks ugly too.

I wonder what the controllers are like? Shiny like the box itself? ?[face_plain]

4. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    there's a small blurb in last month's issue on playstation 3.

i'll type some of it up later.

from what i remember, PS3 is supposedly 1000 faster than PS2

5. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    Will the PS3 have connectibility with the PSP? It would be kind of interesting if they followed Nintendo and did that sort of thing.

6. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    BIG NEWS!

PS3 Backward Compatible

PS3 Backward Compatible
    Yes, it's now official.

September 02, 2003 - Why do we love our PlayStation 2's? Sure, it has lots of cool games and plays DVD movies, but why do really love it? Because it can play original PlayStation games too, of course. A seemingly minor feature, the fact that the PS2 can play PS one games is without a doubt one of the reasons for the PS2's success; so why fix something that definitely isn't broken?
    In a talk with Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, Ken Kutaragi, head honcho at Sony Computer Entertainment, officially confirmed that the successor to the PlayStation 2 will in fact be backward compatible with not only PS2 games, but also PS one games.

"PS one runs on PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever," Kutarai explained.

The inclusion of backward compatibility is not all that surprising, but we're glad it's finally official. Now we don't have to worry about having ten consoles and the corresponding wire mess in our living rooms.

Check back with IGN for more news regarding Sony's latest console beast.

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>Now we don't have to worry about having ten consoles and the corresponding wire mess in our living rooms.

That's a relief. So, if all goes to plan, by the time the PS3 comes out I'll just have a PC, PS3, Gamecube, Xbox, TV, satellite receiver, surround sound speakers, monitor, printer, VHS, scanner, digital camera, PDA, broadband connection and telephone line all somehow connected to one another...

"Sounds like you're working for your machines! Simplify, man!"

8. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Where is the PS3 section on gamespot.com?

9. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    Amazing. Now I can play GTA2 on PS3. :D

Here's that tiny blurb in the August 2003 issue of Popular Science.

PS3 Rumours

The best rumor heard at E3 regarded Sony's patent application for a "computing architecture and programming model" that many suspect will be the foundation of the next PlayStation. The patent describes several processing centers that break data and applications into uniformly formatted "software grids" for ultrafast processing, prompting some to claim that PS3 will be 1,000 times more powerful than PS2.

10. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Is it true about the rumor someday all game systems will be internet based? If so, will the gamers lose money if people have to buy games online and players have to play games online? I think so.

Now, I heard this early rumor from a friends of mine who said that the PS3 and XBox will be totally internet based, meaning you have to buy the games (download them from online) online etc. I also heard that the PS3 will have limited storage for memory and games online, like ten games total at one time, with no memory cards for boosted memory storage. Is that rumor true?

Because if it is, Playstation and Bill Gates are making some big mistakes. I don't know a lot of people who have the money or the time to be on online for hours on-end playing games. And although most of my friends are okay with buying things off line, I don't like the idea of having to download games from the internet itself.

11. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    I highly doubt that.

12. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    how much does everyone think ps3 will cost?

13. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>Now, I heard this early rumor from a friends of mine who said that the PS3 and XBox will be totally internet based, meaning you have to buy the games (download them from online) online etc. I also heard that the PS3 will have limited storage for memory and games online, like ten games total at one time, with no memory cards for boosted memory storage. Is that rumor true?

I think it's speculation, rather than rumour. And at this stage, I would doubt that the next generation of consoles would work that way- high speed internet connections simply aren't up to scratch yet.

However, it's my guess that ultimately, the future of consoles is an integrated set-top box incorporating all of the stuff that I was moaning about having to link together a few pages up, combined with the idea of network computers (where the actual "box" has a bare minimum of hardware, and is connected to a huge central computer that does all the work.)

14. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    I'd say a good $500-$600 when it initially comes out.

Any word if the rumour about if you trade your PS2 in, you get PS3 for a discounted price is true?

15. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I'd say 300-400. That's how much my PS2 was out off the production line. Good news about PS1/2 compatiblity.

16. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Was at work yesterday (Kmart), and noticed that there is a subtle upgrade to the PS2. I believe it is called the PS2+ (there is a yellow plus sign on the bottom right corner of the box).

Can't remember at the moment what the upgraded specs are... I think that there is more support for RF or something like that...

I think the upgrades on that are a built in DVD Remote Sensor, Remote Included, and better DVD player specs. Nothing to do with game playing.

Who thinks Sony's going to play retarded again, and fail miserably by trying to sell a third mulity tap. My jaw hit the floor when I found out PS2 only had 2 controller ports. Proudly I haven't bought either of Sony's attempts to squeeze afew more of my dollars.

17. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    Whoops. I meant 500-600 in Canadian. Yeah I'd say about 300-400 US.

18. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    Anyone got anymore news on PS3?

19. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Has anyone heard any more info about the PS3?!

20. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    "PS one runs on PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever," Kutarai explained.

I can keep my copies of FF VII - IX and Legends of Dragoon. :D

21. jollydwarf

jollydwarf Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    The girl who writes the Gossip Column for the U.S. Official PlayStation Magazine (Clish) says that the next few months are going to reveal a lot about the PS3 specs and whatnot. A technical demo at this year's E3 is probably 'even money' odds. But what's much more interesting than her implication that the coming months are going to be very telling is her assertion that the graphics for games PROBABLY should resemble the Michael Vick Nike "Gridiron" commercial that's been airing (at least in the States) for the last few months. Of course, the difference is that the PS3 would generate these graphics in 'real time'.

Put another way, the graphics for a "Final Fantasy" are going to come really close to, if not match, the FMV sequences of current FFs. Hard to believe, I know, but given that the system is probably going to be a late 2006 release (outside of Japan), the launch games should make "Half-Life 2" on its max settings look like a cel phone 'freebie'. Seriously.

22. Bobert_Fett

Bobert_Fett Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    this isn't really on topic of the ps3 but it is on the future of those systems...

the thought about the ps9 commercial is that it would immense you into the game, but someone metion it might plug into the adrenal gland or something. But in my eyes that system is based on a different kind of hardware and is partly biological. Do you think if they can "plug" ppl into games that it will start out with atari like graphics? it's just a thought.

Imagine driving a tank that looks old school from the atari. That would be a freakout gaming system.

23. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Now I am really excited to see how powerfuly this console is going to be. I can't wait to hear more about it. I wonder if Lucasarts will do a few games on this system.

24. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Backwards compatability will always be good.

Now, the system isn't scheduled to be released into 2006, which is fine, as most game systems have a 5 - 6 year life cycle.

But I only ask of Sony a few things:

-As much as I love the PS2, make sure it's a quality system this time. Game wise, it's quality. But the fact is that the parts and hardware are cheap and/or shoddy, resulting in too many malfunctions, dirty disc read errors and other problems. One shouldn't have to figure out the best way to tilt the system in order to play the game. The biggest culprit being the lens.

-It was bad enough that the system was 300 dollars instead of the usual 200 dollar norm. Ok, can live with that. Don't like it, but can live with it. But don't keep raising the price. Leave at that. If you can go cheaper, great. If not, whatever. Just don't sell it for 400-500 dollars. One of the great things about console gaming has always been the price compared to the high expenses computer gamers pay.

-Don't make the hardware a pain in the ass to develop for. Something many developers have commented on and because of this, the sad fact is that most games for the PS2 have not even tapped into the hardware's potential. This is a sad fact that Sony themselves have commented on. There are exceptions, such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo and a slew of others. Sony's first party titles are often the most visually impressive, because not only do they understand the hardware better but as Sony stated, they are at the same time showing developers what they can do and get out of the system. A prime example, would be ICO and Dark Cloud 2, both beautiful games.

-Don't be cheap. I hate the fact that the system only comes with 2 controller ports. It should have 4, like everyone else. Multitap is a sham.

-This final one is just something personal that I'd like to see on ALL systems in the future. I don't care if a system uses a hard drive or if it uses a memory card. I don't. But this is something that I feel strongly about. If the system does require memory card for saving, I believe that all systems should come bundled with a memory card already. I'm sorry, but a video game system should be playable right out of the box. They shouldn't charge you more to be able to play it. Fact is, all games use memory cards and saved game slates and there are even some games that won't let you
    even start without one. It's like if the system came without cables or a controller. I swear, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it ever came to that.

I understand why they stopped packaging games with the system. It peeved me. I wished they still did... but good g-d, at least make the system playable right out of the box instead of having to shell 25-30 bucks just so I can play with the thing.

25. ColonelSandurz

ColonelSandurz Jedi Master star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    I've had my PS2 for about 2 years, and I still haven't got a multitap. Having 4 controller ports built in to the system is the way to go. And built in online capability. $40 bucks for an online adaptor is too much. When the PS3 is released, it'd better blow the PS2 out of the graphical water. The PS2 has great graphics, but pretty soon, every game will squeeze every last drop of power out of that machine.

That's my two...well maybe twenty cents.

Sandurz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.